Noob season at the gym already?

Options

Replies

• pinkpelican
    Options
    People might consider me a "noob" even though I've had a membership since last spring ... when the weather got nice, hubby & I spent most of our time doing outside activities - walking on greenways, kayaking, etc. We started going to back to the gym as the weather got worse & after the time change, when it was dark in the evenings & we couldn't go to the greenways after work.

Sometimes it's a mix of new people hoping to change their lifestyle, plus "older" members who tend to be seasonal visitors to the gym. I don't enjoy a crowded gym any more than anybody else, but people getting healthy & paying to support the gym is a good thing. :-)

If overcrowding is an issue for you, especially in the peak times for new memberships, consider signing up or moving to an independently owned gym. I used to get incredibly frustrated going to the YMCA. They have lovely facilities, but they are so packed that I would get stressed out just trying to make some space for myself, and having to limit my workout time so the line of other members could get on a machine. This time around, I found a indie family owned gym near my home. It has an indoor pool (plus spa, steam room & whirlpool) & walking track, offers group classes, & has an extensive array of cardio & strength training machines. The equipment isn't the newest, but it's all in good repair & more than functional. It's in a dated retail center, but it's safe & accessible. The gym is clean & maintained properly. The monthly fee is extremely reasonable & the hours are good. And even when it's "busy", it's never the level of insane you find in a Y or other big chain gym. Plenty of room for newcomers and old timers alike.

Just a thought ...
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest - is it just weights rooms and gyms where you get this anti behaviour towards new members?

Maybe I'm not reading the same comments you are. It doesn't seem that people are complaining about the new people; just making an observation.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind them being there... I think it is great that they are taking an active role in their health. It just bugs me that there are more people at the gym.

Think of it this way: on your commute home, would you rather there be no traffic on the road, or there to be a large volume of cars along your way? You don't dislike those other cars, but you would just prefer them not to be there.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    For the last week or so, I've let 'em have the gym to themselves. Not on purpose - work just exploded on me and I haven't been getting in like I'd want to. They have the rest of this week and then they're gonna have to step aside. I welcome new-comers who are there to get a workout, but not the gawkers & lost lambs.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Seriously? Why does it bother you? Lt the Moore on getting healthy rather than impose your thoughts

Who said they were bothered by them?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    We're going to get new folks on MFP too. Which to be honest, I welcome. We could use some new blood to hopefully thing out the old bad blood we got in here
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My gym is actually virtually deserted. But I also go to one that's in the city near a lot of office buildings so most people might be on vacation. The membership rep has told me to stick to non-peak hours come January because it's crazy for a month or two.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

LOVE this!

Awesome, just awesome

I couldn't' have said it better!!!!
    Love this
  • lukester19
    lukester19 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

LOVE this!

Great post. My friend was one of these people and he now turned to training people and is in amazing shape! It is now his passion lol.
  • gbarren85
    Options
    Agreed... It can be a little intimidating when you first start. It doesn't help when people look at you as a "noob" and you can tell. I was lucky enough o be able to stick to my weight loss program, but I know I would have definitely appreciated a hand/direction at first. Let's motivates others to stay instead of looking down.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Yup, same thing here, seen a couple of new faces myself this week. Probably trying to get in shape before the end of the world.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Do you own the f***gym? Get your **** done and go home, dont worry about what other people do, if you just gonna b*** about it.

I hate it when people act like they were never new at something.
  • gbarren85
    Options

Agreed... It can be a little intimidating when you first start. It doesn't help when people look at you as a "noob" and you can tell. I was lucky enough o be able to stick to my weight loss program, but I know I would have definitely appreciated a hand/direction at first. Let's motivates others to stay instead of looking down.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Who cares? Do you own the f***gym? Get your **** done and go home, dont worry about what other people do, if you just gonna b*** about it.I hate it when people act like they were never new at something.

Calm down. Who are you even talking to? The OP didn't seem to be judgy at all. It just seemed to me the OP was wondering why so many noobs now instead of after January 1. Some people are just looking to be offended. Good grief.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

THIS!

I love this post.. why isn't there a like button on here! I feel like I'm the only dork saying hi to people in the gym!
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I tend to not notice other people when I'm at the gym. I do what I need to do and go on with my day.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    You know what else is awesome? All the threads that start up around this time with the gym vets and rats b!tching up a storm about the n00bs at the gym.

Get over yourselves. Yes, people are new. Yes, many of these people will not make it past February. Maybe many of these people fail at fitness because of the Judgy McJudgersons at the gym. Instead of being a douchecanoe towards the people, help them out.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Do you own the f***gym? Get your **** done and go home, dont worry about what other people do, if you just gonna b*** about it.

I hate it when people act like they were never new at something.
    agree!
  • Thread made me lol, I was talking about this today with my instructor. At least there trying, some may even stick it out.

Great positive response! And for the person laughing at them standing around looking clueless, why don't you ask if you can help them?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I love how they stand around looking for direction. I'm like there's a treadmill turn it on! Lol

I'm like there's a barbell; pick it up and put it down.
This discussion has been closed.