1200-1500 calorie eaters...serious question...

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 you can look at my diary. Right now I do 1400. I eat 3 meals, 3 snacks. Have gotten used to it, but I make sure I don't skip meals, if I am late on meals I get really hungry,crabby. Its worked for me so far.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I applaud everyone who can drink water and stay full. Me, I am hungry all the time - overeating sends more muscle fuel to my arms. I drink between 1-2 gallons of water a day and it honestly has never filled me, goes right through. Also maybe close to a half a gallon of diet coke too lol, a monster, and some coffee.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    For me:
    1. What's your height/ weight?
    5'8", female, and current weight 216 (starting 251)

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period?
    No I do not get hungry very often. If I do its within an hour of a meal time anyway. I eat a decent amount of filling food thats low calorie so I dont feel deprived at all. If I did, I wouldnt be able to do this.

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?
    I have no issues with this. I feel fine.

My goal is 1400 calories a day. I eat 3 meals and one snack before bed. I used to have issues with my blood sugar dropping but now that my calories are lower and my body has adjusted I have no issues with it at all.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Most people supposedly within this range are probably eating more than they think they do. Research has shown that overweight people keeping food diaries tend to underestimate not only what they eat but their portion sizes as well. Also, people tend to overestimate the number of calories they burned exercising, so they may be "eating back" more than just their exercise calories.

I use a food scale and measuring cups and spoons, so unless the calories listed are wrong, I'm eating what I say I'm eating.

To answer the question, I'm 5'3". I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not. I have days where I'm hungrier than usual, but unless I'm going out to eat or to a party and eating a lot of junk food, I'm generally pretty stuffed on anything from 1,000 to 1,500 calories in a day.

My meals combine protein, fat and fiber and that keeps me satisfied for hours. A cup of hot chocolate (Ovaltine in soy milk) holds me over for three or four hours and I don't feel hungry at all in that time.

And while you would think workouts would increase my appetite, they actually decrease it for a long period. I tend to exercise in the afternoon, so by the time I'm hungry for dinner, it's 6 or 7 at night and then I'm in bed by 9 or 10 and not hungry in between.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I tried... and failed. I'll keep my 1900 calories. TYVM!
  • Rachelle1016
    Options
    My calorie intake that's listed on MFP recommends about 1450. It really isn't all that bad. The key is LOTS of water, and eating really nutritious foods. Sure, I could get 200 calories from a donut, but I'll be a ravenous monster in an hour. But, 200 calories of lettuce or broccoli is going to stuff me to the gills, and last a lot longer. I really haven't felt deprived at all, and I actually feel quite a bit better.
  • mamasitaroja
    mamasitaroja Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    5'7", 154 down from 184, and have aimed for 1200 cals (I eat back my exercise calories to total around 1200) the entire time. I eat a wide variety of foods, just less of them. My eating preferences include a lot of whole grains, basic proteins, and I have switched some of my favorite foods (CHEESE!!!!!!!!!) to lower-fat options, but mainly I rely on exercise, water and Diet Coke to keep from feeling hungry in those odd moments where hungry happens between meals.

If I feel hungry between meals, I MOVE, drink, then when I'm done I check to see if I'm still hungry.

Good luck!
  • xoalynnxo
    xoalynnxo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This will answer your question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk&feature=g-user-u

Check that video out and your questions will be answered.

I didn't have the patience to sit through 26 minutes of that! But I think it's crap. I'm 5'2" and I listen to my body in regards to eating, when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full. And I generally eat under 1000 calories a day. I'm not starving all day, I'm not cranky ready o kill anyone...and it works for me. I've lost 10lbs and 7.25" in 30 days from eating healthy and exercising. I refuse to let anyone make me feel bad for my calorie intake. Yes, lifters should eat more because they burn more, but don't promote high calorie to those of us who don't lift weights.