Noob season at the gym already?

Options

Replies

• madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Right on, I see negative posts all the time about noobs and it drives me nuts. I started around this time 2 years ago at my gym and found it to be a very friendly and welcoming place. With out that feeling I am sure I would have let my gym membership expire and stop going, but here I am 2 years later. I consistently go multiple times a week and am loving it. Please don't look at these people with distaste, believe me they are already worried about what people are thinking about them. Even a smile and a passing hello can make all the difference in the world.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Thread made me lol, I was talking about this today with my instructor. At least there trying, some may even stick it out.

^ This

This. At least they are there. You were a noob at one time too. Instead of staring at them, help them out. Encourage them to keep coming back.

And this too ^ ... everyone starts somewhere :-)

Agreed. A gym can be an intimidating place for newbies - that may be part of the reason at least some of them quit after a few weeks. A little encouragement might actually make a huge difference to someone. Help em out! I know the crowding might inconvenience some of us but I tend to work harder when I work out if I see other people working hard too!

We seem to forget that we where noob's at some point and we probably started at a gym around this time of the year.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You have been going to the gym for a little over 52 weeks and now it's time to pat yourself on the back... Every year, you get these same posts from people who think they are doing something special. You act like this is something hard. It's just going to the gym. You know that facility that is open to all paid members? You're not special at all.

I can't stand gym elitist.

The really fit guys are the ones I see supporting the new gym members the most. Willing to venture a guess that you're one of those types. Gyms could use more of you.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

Well said, I think I'll do just that... and also make a new year's resolution to meet the people I have been working out next to this year. I'll leave the headphones at home for a while and start saying hello to people.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    saw a dad bring in his two boys, one was probably 9 the other maybe 12. they were already curling more than some noobs i've seen! no noobs spotted this year yet though

That is a stupid dad. 9 year old boys shouldn't be lifting. No legitimate gym would allow anyone under 15-16 on the gym floor because it's against the law to do so in most states. Most gyms have the policy you have to be 18.

A noob would probably even know that.
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I totally noticed it. I went in on Thanksgiving and it was PACKED! I guess everyone was trying to burn those extra calories before stuffing their faces...I know I was!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's usually the worst right after New Years or before Spring Break/Summer Break, those crowds tend to stick to cardio/bench/bicep/abs exercises though so you should be fine on most days.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You have been going to the gym for a little over 52 weeks and now it's time to pat yourself on the back... Every year, you get these same posts from people who think they are doing something special. You act like this is something hard. It's just going to the gym. You know that facility that is open to all paid members? You're not special at all.

I can't stand gym elitist.

The really fit guys are the ones I see supporting the new gym members the most. Willing to venture a guess that you're one of those types. Gyms could use more of you.

Agree. I will never forget a few years ago my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I decided that I wanted to do the Susan G. Komen 5k. I had never run before and started training just a few weeks before the run. I wanted to challenge myself instead of doing the walk. I will never forget overhearing a guy complaining to his friend about how people were running so slow or stopping to walk. "Geez, its only like 2 miles." It really hurt me. I was trying to do something out of love and to get in shape and here he is criticizing. At the end of the race, however, the "professional' runners were there cheering us on. I will never forget the super fit woman telling me to come on that I could do this in under 30 mins and that she was proud of his. I was so happy. :)
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Noobs = new friends :) My gym is very community oriented (i.e. cultish), and anyone new is for sure doted on a bit. I don't want my gym to close because there aren't enough members, and also, I like having new friends to play with. I get really stoked when there's a new girl around my size, strength, speed, and think, here's that new sparing partner I've been wanting!
  • sarafay80
    sarafay80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

LOVE THIS! Last April I was new at the gym.....and embarrased to be at my highest weight.....and scared of all the machines and the people with those amazing bodies that already know what they are doing. I took the offer for the trainer sessions and did once a month for 3 three months. They showed me a routine to last me a month. During the rest of the month when I was working solo, I was very relieved to find that most of the members of my gym are willing to help out others. I asked some of the "regulars" questions when I was confused with a machine and they were usually more than willing to help. Now, I am 7 months strong, 36 lbs down, 4 clothing sizes down and receiving compliments from random people about my dedication and making the change. I will tell you this -- I could NOT have done it if the people at my gym acted like jerks because I was new. I was already terrified of being the fat one there and getting looks.... Shout out to Club Fitness members, they are the best around!
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options

^^ Well said. I love seeing new people at the gym.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    saw a dad bring in his two boys, one was probably 9 the other maybe 12. they were already curling more than some noobs i've seen! no noobs spotted this year yet though

That is a stupid dad. 9 year old boys shouldn't be lifting. No legitimate gym would allow anyone under 15-16 on the gym floor because it's against the law to do so in most states. Most gyms have the policy you have to be 18.

Is there really any harm in lifting? Kids do pushups and pull-ups, squats, and crunches in P.E. and sports practice. If they are being given appropriate weight and instructed property, is lifting weights inherently bad for them? Obviously, they shouldn't be training to the point where it interferes with development, and they shouldn't be training like adults, but isn't it a bit mush to say they shouldn't be allowed in a weight room at all?
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this just this week at yoga. Anytime people start is great, but at least there are extra classes in January. For now, the classes are crowded. Oh well, next week shouldn't be bad since people will be off celebrating. My gym is on my college campus which I think is why it isn't as prone to this phenomenon. There are a limited number of people who could possibly come.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Is there really any harm in lifting? Kids do pushups and pull-ups, squats, and crunches in P.E. and sports practice. If they are being given appropriate weight and instructed property, is lifting weights inherently bad for them? Obviously, they shouldn't be training to the point where it interferes with development, and they shouldn't be training like adults, but isn't it a bit mush to say they shouldn't be allowed in a weight room at all?

My son wants to lift, and he's only 7. While I won't take him to the gym yet, I will let him use the weight set, the dumbbells I have at home. teaching good form in lifting when kids are young is important if they really want to get into lifting. I would much rather have a fit kid than a lazy video game kid.

As for the proper age, each kid is different, and I wouldn't let him handle heavy weights until he is 12, until his growth plates really settle down, but there is nothing wrong with doing body weight lifts, curls, isolation lifts with dumbbells. What's so wrong with taking a young kid to a gym and SHOWING them other people who are motivated, SHOWING you kids through example that they are others who make themselves work out, that there are other people who better themselves for no other reason than they want to.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The noob season usually doesnt start until after the new year..... Hmm... Practice for the apocolypse?
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ive been working out at home, but my new gym membership I got for Christmas (early gift) won't kick in until January. I'm not looking forward to getting the 3rd degree look from gym regulars, but I know its coming... You know, that "oh nice to see you, you wont last a month". Joke's on them though. :)

↑↑Love this :laugh: I started at the gym at the beginning of the semester (I go to my college gym) and that is basically New Years resolution time for us. The people who went diligently all year round gave me those looks. Most people go for a couple of weeks then get distracted with school or parties. I stuck it out. The looks stop after a month or two. Then you get to be the regular and can be nice to the newbies you see. It's great!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yep, Ive noticed too...resolution rush starting early, don't worry Mid January will die off :tongue:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    My gym's a bit too much of a hole for this to be happening to any great degree :P
  • eidc
    eidc Posts: 79 Member
    Options
  • JustinDoctrinated
    Options

Absolutely. These are folks who are trying to do better and even if most of them won't last, they should still be accepted and encouraged. Let's remember that we all were probably that uncomfortable-looking noob once instead of being self righteous or needlessly annoyed.
This discussion has been closed.