WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Our provincial government formed a new ministry yesterday. I thought I would share with you this special occasion. See the following link and please turn up the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Rebel
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday:flowerforyou:

Only time for a quick HI as I have too much to do and too little time today.

This has been a really good week for me since returning from the Oregon trip. The trip was (to coin a phrase) an eating frenzie...the scale had showed a gain of 8.4 lbs:sad: when I finally got to my scale this past Monday. Being the positive and encouraging:wink: man that my husband is he said it's not "real" weight and you can take it off right away...so I guess he's right...although I wouldn't have had this past week of loosing:grumble: if he hadn't kept saying "Hey, we are on Vacation let's eat":laugh: . Any way this has been a successful week, as of this morning I'm only 1 lb away from where I was 3/15 and I know I can conquer that one! :wink: We move on to bigger and better things next week.

Everyone have a great weekend and Happy Easter!:flowerforyou:

Laura:smile:
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    Hi everyone, I did the shred with 3lb weights and that was plenty for me!!! ....Wishing you all a very Happy Easter and good luck for April !!!
  • deejayy
    deejayy Posts: 7
    Options
    hello

a quick question from a relative newbie (must get my walk in). Is there some way to get this new april thread in the "my topics" lilnk without posting to the thread? Thanks for the "tech support".

A quick tip for anyone who is starting a routine with weights ... start with weights that seem ridiculously light and work gradually heavier. Doing it the other way often results in an injury (been there, done that) that will completely interrupt any sort of exercise routine that you've established ... not to mention the motivation factor.

Have a great evening!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Easter from rainy Yorkshire

Can't believe it has been raining again today :frown: My hubby bought me some new boots for my birthday :smile: so at least I can walk the doggies and keep my feet dry now. The last few weeks I have been wrapping my feet in extra socks and plastic bags but somehow I still ended up with wet feet. :laugh:

Our Frankie dog is a good diet dog :smile: I was trying to be good and cut a lemon bakewell tart in half - I was going to put half back into the cupboard and have it tomorrow - no really I was! but I turned my back for a moment and it had gone :bigsmile: There was Frankie licking his lips :smile: he is getting to be such a little thief, he never used to pinch food, my daughter could even leave food on a plate on the floor and he wouldn't touch it , but not anymore, he thinks all food is his. We blame my hubby, he is always feeding both dogs he gives them biscuits whenever he is eating because he doesn't like them watching and drooling while he is eating :smile: We've said he should put them in another room if it bothers him that much. I think they will be joining me on a diet soon.

I think I am going to have to be extra careful this weekend as I have gone over on my calories today. :frown: I have bought some fruit and low fat yougurts so will eat them instead of cakes. I think I'll get myself a little notebook too and jot down food as I eat itduring the day, then I can keep a check on my calories, it will give me an idea of how much I am snacking on junk food and hopefully when I see it written down I can see when and why I am eating.

It's nearly half past 11 already, so I'll end here and get myself off to bed, at least I can keep to one of my goals for April. :laugh:

:heart: Viv
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome Holton, spilmartin0619, Heather, Allison, Caroline, Leipensa, and any other newbies I may have missed. This is a great forum.

Hi, hi to everyone who has been posting with us and has found the new thread. It looks like we are all off to a good and happy April.

I am going to try real hard to stick to the goals I put up for March. April should be better than March, but we shall see about that.

Well, off to help DD with stuff. I can't weight until she can touch her toes again. PT is going well and I would have made a good therapist if I had chosen that fiel.d. lol. She is a little behind where she should be, but doing well with her recovery.

Jeannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,991 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I wrote a long, thoughtful, spiritual post that disappeared before I could actually post it. Since one of the things I wrote about was adopting Cindy's plan of "No Complaining", I'll just say that I don't have any interest in being a "normal eater" since what I'm doing right now is working just fine and I'm glad that I didn't do any damage before I learned to start with lighter weights and not pretend that I'm stronger than I am.

:flowerforyou: Lianne, it's good to see your smiling face and your sunflowers
    is it almost time to start planting some more for this year?

:flowerforyou: Zaza, thanks for checking in even though you are so busy.

:flowerforyou: Viv, what worked for me at the beginning was to plan my day's eating either in the morning or the night before, post it on MFP and then stick to the plan no matter what.........

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, your daughter is fortunate to have you as her top-notch PT and you are fortunate to have a daughter who will cooperate with you

:flowerforyou: deejayy, now that you've posted on this thread it will show up in "My Topics" when we start a new thread in May there will a post to tell you how to find the new thread and then once you post on it, it will show up in "My Topics"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just found the post I thought was lost so I'm going to post both of them:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :heart: hugs:heart: Barbie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,991 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I walked out the front door this morning with Sasha on a leash and said "April showers bring May flowers" then I realized that it was snowing. It turned back into rain an hour later and has been raining on and off since then so :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: no going to the dog park..........the dogs licked me and walk on me while I did "Poolates" (Pilates) and finally gave up and lay down on the couch.

:flowerforyou: MacMadame----I'm not sure I'm interested in being a normal eater....right now I'm thinking "if it works don't fix it".......I weight myself regularly and track my food and exercise and eat for nourishment, not recreation......I've gotten to a weight that feels great and a good fitness level and I've maintained my weight for a few months with no real interest in returning to my old unhealthy ways....the two worst beliefs about food that I was raised with were "clean your plate" and the whole concept of expressing love to others by cooking for them.

:flowerforyou: Lianne, I've missed you and your sunflowers and your sunny attitude.....I'm sorry to hear that your knee is still giving you problems......your dogs are probably really sorry.

:flowerforyou: Zaza, it's good to hear from you as busy as you are

:flowerforyou: Cindy, I like the idea of a "No Complaining Day"........I think it would make a lot difference here:laugh:

:flowerforyou: deejayy now that you have posted on the thread it will show up in your topics.......at the end of the month when we start a new thread, there will be a link to the new thread and directions on how to find it......That's good information about starting with lighter weights.

:flowerforyou: Viv, what helped me when I started was to plan all the food for my day either in the morning or the night before and then I stuck to the plan, no matter what......once I let myself stray, I couldn't get back on track.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, I'm sure you're a great PT for your daughter......she is so lucky to have you and you are so lucky to have a daughter who will work cooperatively with you.

:flowerforyou: the accountant has mailed the finished income tax to us and it will arrive today and tomorrow for us to review....DH leaves on Monday for a three week business trip so the timing will be perfect......
    This is the post I thought was lost so now you have two posts from me :flowerforyou: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :heart: more hugs:heart: Barbie
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Cindy, for guiding me here...I will figure this thing out eventually!

About the 10 pound weights: I actually do use them for most of my routine free weight exercises(like bicep curls) and even use 12 pound for a couple, BUT the way the weights are used in SHRED involve 2 movements that are much larger, less restricted moves, and for those the 10 pound weights are WAY too heavy!! Question I still don't know the answer to: Are you supposed to do the 30 day SHRED video every day for 30 days or take a day off in between?

Love reading everyone's April Goals and also find interesting the book about Rational Eating. Also, about weighing everyday or not: I think it just depends on the individual. My doctor told me to weigh every day as it is easier to remain "mindful" that way. It also helps you link certain foods or habits to weight gain. So....I am trying that for a while.

And I do love the goal about being kind. We just don't ever know what is going on with people we encounter do we?

I made it to FL and have just put darling granddaughter down to sleep. Her Parents are out to a party and I am going to go try that SHRED video again...(withOUT 10 pound weights!!!) Good night all! Kackie
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Question I still don't know the answer to: Are you supposed to do the 30 day SHRED video every day for 30 days or take a day off in between?
    Kackie

Kackie--when I did the Shred I did it every other day because some of the moves were hard on my knees. I hope to be in better shape next time and do it 5 days a week.

Someone on another thread--I don't remember who--said that according to Jillian's website the Shred should be done 5 days a week with the 2 days off NOT being in a row.

Some people on that thread did it every day, others did it 5 days, and, like me, some others did it every other day.

Do what feels right for you.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I have not been here for the past couple of days because my husband and I were off celebrating our anniversary. I ate so much junk !!! I had a huge steak that took me two days to finish. We had wine and chocolates. For breakfast we had pecan sticky buns. I am not sorry in the least. We had a wonderful time.
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Evening or should I say Good Morning It is 1:05 in the morning in "Lower Slower Delaware" I am just stopping by to let Barbie, Barb and all the other ladies that remember me know that I AM still alive and kicking. :glasses: I know I have been away for a awhile and have really missed reading everyone's posts. :noway: With all the rain and snow we have had in the last couple of months my house has been flooded off and on (mostly on). :happy: With that, the new grand daughter, :sick: sick MIL, :yawn: a lot of overtime at work, :frown: step mother in and out of hospital and rehabilatation centers for her foot and everything else going on in my life, :huh: I have been a LITTLE busy. :cry: I gained 13lbs but have lost 6 of it again:bigsmile: . Next week we are starting the "Biggest Loser" at work and my goals for this month are to
    1-find time to get on and post every day
    2-walk every day at lunch
    3-start drinking my quota of water every day again
    4-stay focused
    :flowerforyou: I pray all are doing well and look forward to catching up. :heart: Love (((Hugs))) and Prayers for all, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Rose,

So good to hear from you. Thanks for checking in. It is late and I am vegging out after a busy day. My mom continues to improved, did her own cooking and cleanup tonight, says it was easier to get out of bed this morning. She seems so much happier since we made the doctor switch.

Today, I took my friend Linda to a service at our church today, related to Good Friday. She is the friend who had serious health issues in July of last year. She is doing very well now. We went to lunch afterwards. I managed to hit the new JC Penney location in my town and found a cute spring jacket in a size 14 that FIT!! Considering I was wearing a 22 - 24 in a top when I started last year, that made me very happy. My size 16 jeans are even getting a little loose!!!

I had dinner tonight with my good friend whom I managed to get signed up on here, but she keeps getting distracted by life, so her progress has been minimal. We had salad, salmon and stir fried broccoli, peppers and carrots. Very yummy, and very healthy. It helped me offset the clam chowder that I had for lunch!!! Not my healthiest option, but very good!!!

Have a good weekend everyone. Welcome to the newbies.

Would you believe BRADLEY hasn't gotten into ANY Trouble since Thursday!???!!! Yeah I know, it's only Friday, but I will take anything I can get!!! LOL

Barb
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    kathy(pmjsmom) Regarding 30 day shred DVD... THANKS! I could not find that out anywhere I looked...seems like she would tell you that at beginning of DVD or on the cover or SOMEwhere...(also, not to use 10 lb. weights!!) Anyway, I did it again yesterday and I will say it is difficult to get up from a sested position today. And this is after doing squats and skiing for 30 days this winter! Wow... I think I will take the suggestion of taking 2 days off, not in a row.

Have a good Saturday! Kackie
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Saturday everyone ..... I don't know how but....:frown: .I put on 2.5 lbs on since yesterday!!! I've not altered the weigh in because I'm determined not be the same tomorrow!!! I went over my calories by 14 so surely that's not what did it??:noway:
    I'm going to get on and exercycle today while DH watched the motor racing. Mum's gone back to bed...it seems eating her late breakfast tires her out!!:smile: Busy looking at holidays ...again .... Looking at Egypt again for a quick week at the end of November. :glasses:
    It keeps me occupied at least but can be an expensive hobby!!:happy: I neeeeeed to have something to look forward to ..don't I!!!

:drinker: So many "Newbies" now ....the secret of this great site and thread is obviously out!!:smile: I like the way "sliders" like me aren't judged!! We can just get back in the fold and start again.... in awe of the huge amount others have lost but still buoyed up by the support and friendship from them!!:heart:

So ...today I've had a cooked breakfast - scrambled egg, grilled bacon and tomato, 1 slice of toast. When I say breakfast ..it was brunch really and tonight it will be good old ..Spag bol. minus the cheese. I will get exercycle calories and ...as my neck and shoulder need TLC the hot tub's been refilled and its lovely and warm ... so swim arm exercises tonight. Better than nothing but not quite the "Shred" that some of you talk about!! What is that by the way?

I'll be off now .. to cycle. and will be back tomorrow for sure!!
    BFN
    :heart: :heart: Jackie
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :heart: It's a new day, it's a "Skinny Saturday". Yay. Keeping close track on everything I put in my mouth. Went jogging/walking this morning. That felt good.

:drinker: Tonight DH and I are going to the Victoria Symphony "Broadway Brilliance" Pops concert tonight. Have had tickets since February !! So exciting.

We had a major wind/rainstorm yesterday. Power was out the whole day. Fortunately we have a generator to keep us going. Must have one of those when you live in the country. :bigsmile:

:heart: :heart: Have a great Saturday :heart: :heart:

Rebel
  • laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends!
    Happy Easter :flowerforyou: and Happy Passover to all.:smile:

I've managed to stay on mfp this week, despite the temptations of Passover (although, matza is not all that tempting - like eating cardboard). I stocked my kitchen with turkey, fish, fruits and veggies, and allowed an indulgence if my calorie count allowed. Coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate are outrageous!

Now that the weather has improved, I've dusted off the bike and cruised around the neighborhood. This week, I'll put in 3 hours cycling around the neighborhood. I'm not ready to attack any hills, though.
    :bigsmile: MacMadame, any suggestions for improving my endurance and fitness on the bike?

It sounds like most of us are getting back on track. Hopefully, we've seen the last of the storms, and we can look forward to sunny skies in the coming months.

Lani
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    MacMadame, any suggestions for improving my endurance and fitness on the bike?
    When starting out, pretty much anything gives you big gains. :wink: But once you start to level out, intervals are a great way to get fitness without having to put in long hours biking many miles.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I'm new here. Mary (msh0530) told me about this thread a while back and I'm finally hopping on. I started on this weight loss journey 1/1/10. It's the first time I've kept a New Year's resolution. :smile: About 10 years ago I got an adjustable gastric band and lost about 80 lbs. I kept off 50 of them then stalled.

I'm loving MFP and loving the support I've found here. It's the first time I've really felt like I could do it. I'm looking forward to being part of this thread. You sound like a positive bunch!

I just got back from vacation on Friday. Being away from home was challenging. My biggest goal for April is to plan what I'll eat when I'm away from home. Tomorrow will be a mini-test (happy Easter everyone). Then, in a couple of weeks, I go to my daughter's house in Pasadena. That's where I'll need the planning. Luckily, I'll do most of the cooking while I'm there. The hard parts (probably) will be avoiding snacking on stuff that's around the house and limiting what I eat when we go out for dinner.

I tried to add my goals for April in my signature. I guess I'll find out if it worked after I post.:laugh:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Easter Sunday everyone, Hey the sun is shining - it is so nice to see blue skies instead of gray - what a difference the sun makes to my mood :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Welcome mimi7grands

:flowerforyou: Barbie - yes I'll stick with it - I have notthing to lose but my weight :bigsmile: I have done as you suggested and entered my food for the day first thing this morning. I have put in my breakfast and lunch it leaves me with 262 calories for my evening meal. This is usually not a proper meal because we have a big Sunday lunch. This is where I usually overdo the calories (but not today!!!!) I will choose healthy alternatives instead of cakes and biscuits. :smile:

My son and DIL came down to see us last night which was a nice surprise. My grandson Kain is 5yrs old on 12th April. I bought him a transformer type figure for his birthday and it was in the dining room waiting to be wrapped. Of course Kain saw it and said "what's that" I had to bluff my way out of it, moved it out of the way quickly and distracted him with his chocolate easter egg :laugh: I think I got away with it because he never mentioned it again phew :smile:

:flowerforyou: Barb (weaklink) congrats on getting the size 14 top, you have done so well getting down from a 22 to 14 you must be very proud of yourself.

:flowerforyou: Jackie (mynyddisamrs) sorry to hear about your gain, but I am sure you will lose it again soon, I'm going through a bit of a yo yo phase myself and hoping when I weigh my self tomorrow the 2lb I put back on will have gone.

:flowerforyou: Rebel how was the concert hope you enjoyed it.

Well I'd better get started on the dinner :smile: I have to go to the shop for the morning papers, and tidy up the house too (almost as good as a workout) :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Chat soon

Viv :heart: