WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: BARB :flowerforyou: Meant to say:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY for yesterday, Hope you had a great day ! :drinker:

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you , Happy Birthday Happy Birthday , Happy Birthday to yoooooooo (me singing lol)

:heart: Viv :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Alice for those birthday wishes--The little "Terrors' are very cute.:heart:

Jackie--So sorry about your mum. My mother has had both hips replaced. She was a trouper about doing the physical therapy and rehab exercises. That's one reason she is still walking around at age 94, though moving a little slower lately due to her back problems.

RebelRenny--Got a question that came up at dinner tonight. In Victoria, there used to be a restaurant on the waterfront in a large ship, called the "Princess Mary" or perhaps another name. We were wondering if it was still there and what the name might be now.

Welcome to the newbies, Carol, Randy, Vwillan, and AllisonMO--I have a Yorkshire "Terror" named Bradley whom I swear is part goat. He will eat most ANYTHING edible, and especially delights in things that he manages to steal!! LOL

I had a busy day. Lunch with my friend Thomy, and then she came with me for a quick visit to my parents' place. Did some errands and went back to mom and dad's and looked up the takeout options for Olive Garden, which is about 1/4 mile away. We ordered some seafood dishes along with salad and bread sticks. This way, I had my birthday dinner without having to COOK it!! My mom is a smart cookie, it was her idea!! Anyway, no sooner did I order than my cell phone rang and the caller id said "BARBIECAT" so I answer, and "you know who" was on the line singing "Happy Birthday!!" It was a wonderful surprise. I think she must have smelled the Olive Garden Food:noway: Too bad she is too far away to have joined us for dinner!!:laugh:

Barbie--The piggies managed to stay out of trouble while I was out and over at my parents' place, so I guess that is the best present of all from them. I am sure it is only temporary!!!LOL (BTW, newbies, the "piggies" are my three dogs, AKA "the three little pigs" -the Yorkie I mentioned, and I also have a Lhasa Apso and and a Shih tzu. They all think they are children with extra hair!!)

Well, I am staying up way later than I should, so it is time to call it a night.

Barb

Anyway, I have to get an early start tomorrow, so good bye for now.

EDIT: Thank you Wizzy for the birthday wishes. I started my poste before yours was visible, so didn't see it until after this one was already on the thread.
  • rfsahae
    rfsahae Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Indian food - avoiding curry is possible. Consider Tandoori Chicken, or Tandoori Fish - totally delicious, and it's baked, so no fat. My favorite side dishes are bhindi (okra) and saag (spinach). Indians make the best vegetables - - the western world has no idea how good Indian veggies are.

Indian side salad has no oil, only lemon juice. Also, raita, usually plain home made yoghurt with cucumbers and tomatos... again no oil. So my advice, skip the curry.
    Randy
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon everyone.....from a sunny and showery N.Wales.
    Just a quick dip in ... no news with mum's op at the moment.:laugh: I did take the stairs at the hospital ...honest!!!
    It was a good job we didn't have any more than a few mini Toblerones in the house yesterday because once DH had gone to work ....:noway: I was combing the cupboards for goodies to eat. I did, however stay with my calories and hopefully will do the same today..My DS is coming to the hospital tonight so I'll have company and there'll be no nipping to the garage on the way home to get extra treats!!. I have scheduled in a bar of chocolate though!
    :drinker: All your the talk of curry has made me hungry ... I love cooking a Lamb or chicken Biryani.I'm not sure of the calories but if all the veg etc is cooked in a very little oil and low fat yoghurt is used I can't see it will be too high .
    :heart: DH is cooking meatballs with spaghetti and bolognaise sauce ...... smells good!
    So ...BFN

:heart: :heart: Jackie
  • rosy54
    rosy54 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this board ~ but not to weight loss. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! The two biggest problems I encounter daily are not drinking enough water and mindless snacking in the evening, so I've already planned my meals and exercise for the day hoping it will keep me on track. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: Happy Belated Birthday, Barb! So sorry I missed it yesterday! Sounds like you had a good one.

Welcome, newbies!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: This is a wonderful thread--full of interesting, amusing and supportive women!

The weather here has been awful! Barbiecat--I am wearing 3 different jackets when I go to work! It has been SO changeable that I never know what to wear! (I work outside, for those of you who don't know.) AND I ALWAYS have my old yellow slicker handy! The poor plants don't seem to know what to make of the weather either!
    I have some things I bought for my front garden but have not been able to get them in. All I want is a couple of days of sunshine--or at least of no wind, rain or hail!

The birds are singing this morning but it is very dark to the east so I don't know what the day will be like. The weather reports haven't been very accurate for my area!

I hope we all have a good day. The stress of my daughter (my baby!) moving so far away is still affecting me but I am trying very hard to not let it mess up my exercise schedule OR my eating plan. I, too, remember doing things like this when I was her age and I survived, so I will just pray a lot and leave her in God's hands!
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Rosy, Welcome to a great group of women who 'have been there', no matter what it is. My kids and I have not been eating after 6:00 pm and that has really helped us cut out the snacking. We have water bottles that we fill two and three times a day and make sure we drink all of our water. We are not always 100%, but I drink alot more water than I did a year ago (which was 8 oz. or less/day). Keep on keeping on, we're all here for you!:flowerforyou:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Barb Happy Birthday late. so glad you had a good day. barbie sending warm weather your way. it has made such a difference to me. I feel alive again. dont know how you ladies get through that each and every year. if it happens again next year I will be ready for it. only 10 pounds to lose wish it was me. Just eat right and get lots of exercise. it may take a while to lose only 10 but just keep on and it will happen. welcome to the group. i ate my smoothie for breakfast and am going to re mow that grass today. grandson has come to play with girls while mom is at sisters school helping. will let them play while I mow. burn calories burn. I love my new bike. will try to get on each night. had to get a gel seat for it. seat is narrow and was grinding on my butt bones. better with gel seat. I found thanks to my godchild that I have on demand exercise channels. explored last night and it looks awesome. lots of choices. I recently changed to U-Verse tv, internet and phone from at&t and it is on this. It is free and I can put it on whenever I want, hence on demand. anyway plan to take advantage of it. also has kids exercise videos that I can do with the girls. they will love it and I will get extra workout. want to teach them early how to eat right and get plenty of natural exercise. dont want my babies to have to do what I have to do each day. well have to go get started. talk to you later. have a great day.
    PS I found address for momof10 and heather and emailed them. will let you know if they respond.
    Vicki M
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, It has been a good beginning to the week . I have been eating well and drinking lots of water. I have been exercising my butt off. I did my firs Zumba class last night. It was okay. I am not a big fan of classes but I will probably do it once a week for some sweating variety. I have become such a home body. Okay confession. background. I have been unemployed since last may (Boeing company lay off) I was really depressed until Feb. when I started eating right and exercising. Now the confession, I love being able to focus most of my energy on eating and exercising I am almost dreading finding a job. Of course financially I must find a job and soon but it is fun to dream that I wouldn't have to. :blushing: Until then I will keep walking for hours etc., Anyway I hope you all have a great day.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Good Snowy Morning:flowerforyou:

Yep we woke up to 2" of wet slushy snow:grumble: , but they are saying it will be gone by tomorrow when it's 60+ and then the 70's by the weekend. Made the compute in to work a bit longer too:grumble:

Welcome to all the newbies...so many...Yep this is the place to be:flowerforyou:

So last night I was going to pop in and update my dinner and exercise should have been a fast in and out, took over an hour:sad: the home computer...yep that new one:angry: was acting up.

Work is very busy:smile: that's a good thing...if we only had a cash flow to match:wink: it wouldn't be so stressful.

Eating and Exercise is coming along slowly but am ready to see some major changes this month:bigsmile:

Everyone have a good day.

Laura:smile:
  • madgoth
    madgoth Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi,

I mindlessly snack at work. When I don't have anything handy, I start obsessing about it and start looking at the snack machines. I have figured out that for me, it is boredom. And so I am trying to remember that. Plus, I do have a few snacks handy, which helps keep me away from more dangerous ones.

I am starting to try to replace the snacky feeling with a walk around the building instead of food. But I haven't got that down yet.

Welcome to the neighborhood rosy!
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning Ladies

Holy lots of new members Welcome to all:flowerforyou:

I am around - just recovering from surgery. I am at that place where you are not well enough to do anything but too well to lay around - very frustrating for a "busy" girl.

I am off all exercise until the first week of May and have gained a couple of pounds - for the hundreth time:grumble: but I am inspired by the nice weather and will be able to start going for walks next week.

Thanks for the messages.

Have a great Wednesday

Heather
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Well, I did it…I scanned back through all six pages of April and noted the names of the new posters…so welcome to:

Holton, sgilmartin0619, HeatherV697, AllisonMO, Caroline (naturebaby), leipensa, Mimi7grands, rjadams, Randy, Carol0213, vwillan, and Rosy!!!

This is a wonderful thread, as you have already found out.

Today was weigh-in day. I am down four-tenths of a pound :drinker:

Not much exciting going on. Just living through the disarray caused by painting the whole first floor. My dear sister just phoned and said she heard on the radio that today is National No-Housework Day:happy: . I said it was a good thing then that I am sitting here in my bathrobe with my laptop on my lap (catching up on April posts) and HGTV going on the television! See, I’m honoring No-Housework Day and I didn’t even know that it was a special day!!:laugh:

Jackie, so sorry to hear about your Mum’s broken hip! I hope she has a speedy recovery!

Hope everyone is doing well. Here’s to good choices.:drinker: Have a great day all!:flowerforyou:

:heart: Terri:heart:

Keep finding dropped words...don't know why as I typed in Word and pasted here....just added the smiley's...oh well!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Indian food - avoiding curry is possible. Consider Tandoori Chicken, or Tandoori Fish - totally delicious, and it's baked, so no fat. My favorite side dishes are bhindi (okra) and saag (spinach). Indians make the best vegetables - - the western world has no idea how good Indian veggies are.

Indian side salad has no oil, only lemon juice. Also, raita, usually plain home made yoghurt with cucumbers and tomatos... again no oil. So my advice, skip the curry.
    Randy

:flowerforyou: Thanks for this Randy I will try some type of fish dish and some of the veggies - I must admit I am not too keen on curry so was wondering what I could have instead.

Viv :heart:
  • HeatherV697
    Options
    I love your profile photo, how cute is that. I just started to and learning as I go. I think my goal is really just to be more healthy.
  • HeatherV697
    Options
    I should be more specific, I like the profile photo's of the dogs soooo cute! Does anyone know how to figure out a meal from remaining points. I report all my food for breakfast lunch and snacks and end up with 690 or 700 cal left. Is their a place that you can enter the amount and it will give you some suggestions?
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I should be more specific, I like the profile photo's of the dogs soooo cute! Does anyone know how to figure out a meal from remaining points. I report all my food for breakfast lunch and snacks and end up with 690 or 700 cal left. Is their a place that you can enter the amount and it will give you some suggestions?
    There is no specific place for that on MFP. I end up planning out my food well in advance. That way I can play around with what I can have and get my totals more where I want them. I start with a skeleton menu and then add what I need to get my other nutrients in place. That way I am sure to eat enough and not end up with too many calories for the day. You can look at my food diary if you want. I have it planned thru Friday.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with leftover calories in the evening and also with eating all evening either to use them up or some days I'm hungrier than my calories allow.

In order to fix this, I am trying to get 50% of my calories for the day by lunch time. (I.e., big breakfast and lunch and even a morning snack, if that works out). I find that really hard to do!

I have a pretty good routine for days I'm at work. I pack food and I have some standard stuff I pack and I know about how many calories that ends up being. It's healthy food too.

The problem is when I'm at home. Unless dh has made dinner, I don't like to make anything and tend to grab a little of this and a little of that. It isn't enough to hold me so then I grab a little more. The sum total of what I eat at night does not come out to a real meal and is often not balanced. I think I'd do better if I had a real meal and then just one little snack before bed.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I would like to take a poll of sorts. I would like to know how many of you eat your exercise calories versus those who dont. also if you do or dont are you losing weight. I know we have discusse this before but just curious is anyone cares to comment. i just dont get why you would want to eat more when you have worked so hard to burn those calories. That is more weight that is lost. Anyway I would appreciate any comments you may have.
    Vicki M
  • HeatherV697
    Options
    I was also wondering if anyone else starts with 1200 cal? My exercise is limited at the moment to yoga and light walking. I am also only 5'1.