WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I just read all the posts and don't have the energy or the brain power to respond......I'm off to bed......I have to be somewhere at meetings all afternoon and evening Friday and most of the day Saturday so who knows how much MFP time I'll have......My darling neighbors will be coming over to walk the dogs and feed the pets so they will be cared for....the worst part of the weekend will be too much sitting coupled with restaurant meals so if I stay within my calories it will be amazing.
    :heart: hugs:heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Just a quick stop after catching up on reading.

Mary--WHAT a DAY!! I think I would have crawled back in bed and put the pillow over my head. :noway: You have admirable perserverance to take everything that came your way..

Barbie--Don't wear yourself out in the next couple of days.:flowerforyou:

Just saw an incredible news story. A guy in Tucson has a dog named "George" who holds the title of largest dog in the world. I think he is a Great Dane. He stands 43" tall and weighs 245 POUNDS!!! :noway: YIKES!! Can you imagine what the dog food bill is at that house?:laugh: :laugh:

I am too tired to post anymore. I had a very long day that I will try to catch you up on tomorrow.:yawn:

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Just a quick stop after catching up on reading.

Mary--WHAT a DAY!! I think I would have crawled back in bed and put the pillow over my head. :noway: You have admirable perserverance to take everything that came your way..

Barbie--Don't wear yourself out in the next couple of days.:flowerforyou:

Just saw an incredible news story. A guy in Tucson has a dog named "George" who holds the title of largest dog in the world. I think he is a Great Dane. He stands 43" tall and weighs 245 POUNDS!!! :noway: YIKES!! Can you imagine what the dog food bill is at that house?:laugh: :laugh:

I am too tired to post anymore. I had a very long day that I will try to catch you up on tomorrow.:yawn:

Barb

:flowerforyou: Hi everyone - wow so many posts to catch up on

:bigsmile: Barb couldn't help but smile about the dog called George - can you imgaine scooping the poop - you'd need carrier bags instead of poop bags :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Makes me thankful for my two medium sized canines - and as all the dog lovers know, they can make an awful lot of mess. :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Mary as everyone has said - what a day you had and when you wasn't feeling 100% yourself too. Hope the next few days are good for you.

:frown: Heather I have not lost any weight either (lost it and gained it ) I think after reading a lot of the posts I am going to have to lower my calories slightly, I am only 5ft and have been given a calorie allowance of 1,200 calories. If I keep off the unhealthy chocolate snacks and biscuits I can keep below this or around it. It was interesting to read someone mention that the calories for exercise are on the high side. I usually get around 300+ calories and this is for walking to work, walking at luchtime and dog walking once or twice a day. I wonder if I should not add these in at all and just add the workout type exercises I do?

:smile: Vicki I don't use all my exercise calories, sometimes I use a few of them but I try not to even think about them too much and concentrate on (trying) to eat healthy options within my calorie allowance. Obviously I am rubbish at this because I can't seem to shift the weight. :grumble:

Tonight is the curry night out so even though I am not going to have the curry I think it's going to be high on the calories, but I am not going to worry too much, just enjoy the evening :smile: ( hope I can find something to eat that I like) and tomorrow I will look at what I have been eating since I started MFP see if I can see a pattern and take stock.

:drinker: It's my long weekend ( I work Mon - Thurs one week and then Tues - Fri the next, giving me a long weekend every other week) and I am going to the supermarket. So I'll try and keep away from the unhealthy empty calories and opt for the healthy food. Wish me luck :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Barbie your weekend sounds hectic with meetings, and as Barb said don't wear yourself out.

OOOhh the sun has come out :smile: it is so rare to see it these days lol , I'd better get ready for the healthy supermarket shop. Bye for now ladies.

:heart: Viv :heart:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Sorry gals, still haven't caught up on all the posts, just had to vent:explode:

Setback City! :sad:

GAINED at weekly weigh in for the first time this year.:noway:
    This despite it being the first week in a month that all 3 dance classes happened... and boy am I sore !:mad:

Only half a pound, but I EXPECTED to be down half a pound... :huh:

So frustrating. Wanted to average a pound a week loss, have been content with half a pound, this stinks.:cry:

Will go back and review last weekend where the BIG spike occurred, but think it will turn out to be a combination of the bottle of red wine Friday night and the salty Easter ham and leftovers.:ohwell:

GRR. AND today is an extra long work day 08:00-19:00, AND tomorrow Is my montly on call work day 07:00-16:00, which usually means no time to exercise or prepare healthy food.... THIS will be a challenge!

Send me good healthy powerful thoughts!

Hugs,
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    TGIF:wink: I'm at work and now I'm having computer problems here...so no time to post other then WOW some of you are having quite a time, bad days:grumble:, weight gain:sad: and just all around blahs:wink:

Will try and post tomorrow...if the home computer is cooperating.

Have a good day all:flowerforyou:

Laura:smile:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning Ladies

Barb (weaklink) Thanks for the well wishes . I guess now that there is another Heather on the board I will go back to my screen name - Benson (my little sheltie) so I know when someone is 'talking' to me.
    I haven't shared this yet because I feel kind of weird about it but here goes .... On march 8th I had a breast reduction. My doc has been recommending it for about 10-15 years due to back and neck issues and wicked headaches. I finally agreed to have the consultation and was told that the gov't takes 8 weeks to review. Well imagine my surprise when i called to check my coverage only to find out that I was eligible and booked 6 days away! They had a cancellation. Usually you are wait listed for a year or so. That's good because I didn't have alot of time to dwell on it. It hurt - alot:laugh: but I am already feeling better through my shoulders and neck. The only really bad thing is that I can now see my big belly:grumble: I told the surgeon I thought he just cut me open and pushed my excess boobage down one roll. I actually lost about 6 lbs of tissue but am replacing it with chocolate:blushing: I picture my exercising being alot easier without the huge chest to contend with. Maybe I will even be able to do Jumping jacks??

A lot of Canada is experiencing snow - Hope it passes us. My son is currently on a bus trip to Toronto with his school band and the weather in Ontario is stressing me out a bit. I'm sure they will be fine but I still have that little niggle of worry in the back of my mind.

Last year they won their division in Chicago and I'm hoping they win again this year. It is his last year because he will start University in September. Where does the time go?

Well I better get back to it.

Have a great weekend all

Benson
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies. You all lead such interesting lives and have so many things to distract you from the goal. I have no such excuses. So its a good thing that this week I lost 2.4 pounds. I have been exercising like a maniac. since Sunday I have don over 4200 calories burned. I know I can't maintain this intensity but it is fun right now. You see I have no children nearby, My father is in excellent health and always travelling, I have no job (Boeing laid me off last May) and it takes me only a few hours a day to see if there is anything new to apply for. I have no real social life so I can basically exercise and focus on my meal planning. So If I don't suceed at this it means I am just lazy. Thanks for giving me reasons to be happy about my current situation. I can get kind of depressed about it. At least I do get to pick up a lot of poop everyday. My two big dogs are pooping machines. My one true purpose right now. :wink:

Have a great day.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Just a quick post from work to send hugs and flowers out to Mary, Benson and everyone who needs them today.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Speaking of flowers - It's time to start getting ready to garden. I am going to expand my container garden a little this year (hopefully). Our frost date is 5/15/10 so I still have plenty of time to decide what I'm going to do and what one new in ground thing I'm going to plant. A new water system might be expanding into our area, so there is still hope that we will not be hauling water the rest of our lives. lol

Jeannie
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :noway: I totally blew it last night!! :mad: I was angry and frustrated:grumble: and searched the house for something sweet, (which is hard because I purged my house of those things:flowerforyou: ). But alas, I remembered that my daughter bought some peanut butter chips to make cookies with :tongue: and there were some left over! I ate ½ cup of them….640 calories and then ate a couple tablespoons of coconut along with a few extra rice cakes! :noway: :noway: So I ended up 800 calories over!!! OMG I haven’t done that in 8 months! (Emotional eating…that is):sad: :sad:
    Today, I got up and exercised and the urge is there to eat very little today:huh: (just for today) but I need my strength for work.

I have been working 6 days a week since the beginning of Jan (or Tax Season, as I work in a bookkeeping office) and am getting pretty tired and stressed.:yawn: :grumble: NOW because of the flooding that happened (in Rhode Island), the tax deadline has been EXTENDED to May 11 !!! :noway: This is a nightmare! :angry: People (Not the flood victims, of course) are going to just drag this thing out as long as they can simply BECAUSE THEY CAN! The correspondence from the IRS is going to start flooding in with penalties for people who owe money because the Federal and State computer system, does not know the difference between a late payment and a last minute extension! :explode: This could go on for 2 years! (Adjusting penalties, that is).:mad:
    I thought Tax Season was coming to and end :flowerforyou: and now it’s like a bag of worms has been opened up and there’s not a darn thing I can do about it (Think Serenity prayer!!)

I really feel for those victims of the flood,:cry: but I hate the thought that tons of Rhode Islanders are going to jump on the coat tails of those victims just because they can.:angry:

I mentioned on an earlier post, that our office is looking to relocate in the next town. We were looking forward to April 15, so we could make some serious decisions regarding this…and now….we need to hang in there until May 11 for basically all the procrastinators.... as not one of our clients (that is waiting until the 11th) is a flood victim. :grumble:

Got it off my chest! Now back to work.:frown:

Hey....at least I HAVE a job! And in this economy that's a blessing! It reminds me of a sign I saw once...."Lord, help me to endure my blessings" :laugh:

I will eat sparingly today within my calorie limits.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

BirdieM:indifferent:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Setback City! :sad:
    Hugs,

:flowerforyou: "Good healthy powerful thoughts" coming your way my dear!! It is frustrating to see that scale going the wrong way. You are still doing well and going 3 dance classes in the week is going to pay off. :wink: The fluctuations on the scale are maddening. :grumble: I know you'll dust yourself off and gain additional perspective.

DH and I were discussing sodium content this morning, because he made a high sodium meal last night for dinner using canned ingredients. I love the taste but hate all that salt. So we talked about how it affects the body, the fluid retention, the bloatedness, high bloodpressure and whatever else. We have lots of spices and grow herbs in the garden, so DH promised to use them and check out the spices that can please the taste buds where needed.

Personally, I am quite happy with no salt or spices on my veggies. Meat is another story. Let's face it, our society has become so used to high salt foods, that our palates think anything else is bland.

So, our household has a new challenge: find creative ways to use herbs and spices and cut back on the sodium! :bigsmile:

:heart: ((((Hugs)))) :heart: Have a great Friday. I am off today, but it means I work on the books at home for DH's business.

Rebel
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Chrissyepson, you’ve got a lot going on. You’re absolutely right that food won’t make it better. I’ll be rooting for you to stay strong. :happy:

Suzanita, sounds like you’ve got a grueling work schedule for next couple of week. :tongue: Your plan of not nibbling sounds just right. It might be good to have some alternatives handy. If you’re like me, that food that’s just waiting around will keep calling your name.

Barbie, Eating in restaurants is really hard. I hope you can go to a restaurant that posts the nutrition content for the meals. Otherwise, “deconstructing” and still logging seems to help. Good luck!:smile:

Viv, It makes me feel a little better that quite a few people have had a tough time this last week or so. I guess misery loves company! :frown: Seriously, it just makes me realize that this is not going to be easy, that there will be some ups and downs, and that persistence (never, never, never give up!) will make the difference.

Barbara, you’re doing the right thing by looking for the cause of the spike. It’s so dang easy to underestimate the calories! Like the other Mary, I’m going to weigh and measure every bite. No more licking the fingers and thinking it doesn’t count. :wink: It counts!

Benson, good for you on the breast reduction. But I think it’s cheating to lose 6 lbs so “easily”!! I was a G (!) but am now more of a triple D. When I get closer to goal, if I can swing it, maybe I can follow in your footsteps. Of course, then I ‘d need the tummy tuck, arm tuck, leg tuck, and let’s not forget the facelift! I hope you’re loving your new body, even if it does look like some things rolled downhill!:laugh:

Rjadams, congrats on a great weight loss! 4200 extra calories burned is amazing. :flowerforyou:

BirdieM, you did a great job getting back on track so fast. What a good example! :flowerforyou:

Renny, I’ll be interested to hear how you do with the herbs and spices. Salt is always a challenge. I don’t like what it does but I do like how it tastes! Hmm. That sounds like the reason I’m in this pickle weight-wise!:ohwell:
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Oops. I meant to mention how I'm doing too. This has been a hard week. Actually a hard couple of weeks. Part of the problem has been having a lot of "bad" foods around just calling my name. Unfortunately, I answered the call too many times. :grumble:

Combine that with not getting much exercise, not tracking every bite, and skipping fruits and veggies too much :sad: and I got in a slump. I'll be lucky to hold my own weightwise this week. And that's only because I dragged myself back on track the last day or two. (But I'm not weighing until morning, trying to squeeze every ounce I can!)

But, today's a new day, and I'm planning on it being a good one. The sun is out. The bird's are singing. It's spring! Finally. (Sunny California hasn't been so sunny lately. :ohwell: ) My daughter saw 4 turkeys marching along with their tails spread into fans this morning. It's definitely that time of year.

My darling (but mischievous :smooched: 3-year-old granddaughter, Kate, just arrived, so that's it for computer time! Good luck to everyone this week.
  • BirdieM
    Options
    remember, days like this are just to remind us how good we really have it!!

Wow, Mary what a day :noway: . You are right! We really DO have it good!:flowerforyou:
    Thanks for sharing and being so positive!:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:wink:
  • rosy54
    rosy54 Posts: 46
    Options
    Happy Friday, everyone! I'm running as fast as I can today and just can't seem to catch up on the things that need doing. Sometimes it feels like I'm going backwards! :laugh: So, with that said, I wish each and every one of you a wonderful, productive day and a nice evening. :flowerforyou:
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Someone just came in the office with a box of Godiva chocolates! :noway: Another woman made a tray of Italian cookies:tongue: .....AND I'M IN THE OFFICE ALONE!!!! :noway: :noway: Any other closet eaters out there???:laugh: :embarassed:
    So, before I get tempted, I will commit to NOT touch ANY OF IT.:flowerforyou:

BTW I am trying to keep up on the posts as best I can but don't have sufficient time to address each one of you! Welcome to anyone newcomers, hugs for all who are struggling and cheers for everyone doing well!!!

Got to get back to work!!!:happy:

BirdieM:wink:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good morning (what is left of it) to All:flowerforyou:

Chrissyepson-- I think I forgot to say "welcome" earlier, so "welcome.":flowerforyou:

Viv (wizzywig) --I agree. I think one might need a front end loader to scoop George's "output." Sometimes I wonder when I am picking up after my three little darlings, but I would guess their combined output is not in the same league,!!:laugh:

Barbara(bk) --Sorry about your setback. You already identified what probably happened, so just pick yourself up and carry on. I have been there. At one point I was up NINE lbs. from my lowest weight, but I am back down to where I was. I am not adjusting my ticker til next Tuesday. I would like to be able to post a new number on my one year anniversary with MFP.

Heather(Benson)--Glad to hear your surgery went well, but sorry about the "relocation of baggage" you described.:noway: My cousin who lives in BC had the same procedure done when she was in her twenties. It made a wonderful difference for her. She was also experiencing backaches, headaches, and was sick of not being able to fit into clothes in a reasonable size. I hope it is life changing for you, in a good way!! And as for the "baggage"..just keep exercising and you can put it off at the next station!!:wink::flowerforyou:

I hope your son does well with his band and gets home safe.

rjadams--Your schedule sounds productive as far as your goals. For your sake, I am glad you are not in "the doldrums" emotionally. It is a tough time to be looking for work.

Renny--Your DH sounds like "the salt of the earth" :laugh: Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself :wink: BTW, I posted a question at the beginning of the week about the status of a restaurant in Victoria, and you never answered, so I am still wondering. Does the waterfront restaurant that was located inside a ship, and possibly called the "Princess Mary" still exist? Inquiring minds, namely my dad, want to know. :smile: Thanks.

Mimi7---I know why you are "pickle"--they also have lot of salt!!!:laugh: Have fun with your granddaughter!!

In my prior post, I mentioned being tired. Here is why. Yesterday I got up and did two loads of laundry, unloaded a bunch of boxes from my car that I have to go through (clothing from storage unit, probably all too big, so it will go to the donation pile). I also walked the doggies, and then went to my parents' place to pick them up for a trip to a medical appointment about 25 miles away in Oregon.

My dad has Parkinson's and is losing muscle strength. It is increasingly difficult for him to get out of his favorite chair, and for months I have been trying to get him interested in a lift chair, but got a lukewarm response. The freeway between us and the medical clinic took us very close to a place in Portland that sells every kind of chair under the sun, including lift chairs, so I informed him the day before our journey that we were leaving early enough to stop and look at chairs. He didn't object, so we visited the store.

All I expected was that we would look and then come home and "discuss" for a while before he could be persuaded to get one. Imagine my surprise when, after sitting in three chairs, he decided on one and asked my mom did they want to write a check or use their credit card!! I jokingly asked my mom, "do I get to pick the color, since the chair might end up in my living room some day?" She said that made sense to her. It was a toss up between tan or a shade of green, and we all liked the green best, so that was easy!! When they said they could deliver "tomorrow" which would have been today, I foolishly agreed, after ascertaining that the delivery guys--for a small extra fee--would be willing to bring the old chair to my condo.

After we got to the clinic, while waiting for the doctor, I suddenly remember why the recliner that is being replaced came to be at my parents. You see, it was originally mine, and it didn't come with me right away when I separated from my former spouse. I left it in the old house for him, since he needed time to get some new furniture. I planned when I eventually moved it to the condo, it would be in my second bedroom/computer room/den. One small problem, or actually a "big" problem--it wouldn't fit through the doorway into that room. The doorway has a wall right next to it and their wasn't enough angling room to get it through the door. So it ended up in the living room, and I already had more than enough furniture in there, because I had already purchased it. Then I remember how we got it IN the condo in the first place--it would only fit through my sliding door. Now there is a REAL problem, because a while after I moved in, I added a doggie door insert into the slider, so that means the door doesn't have as wide an opening as it did before.

It was apparent that this chair was NOT meant to come back to me, so to buy myself some time to figure out what we were going to do with it, I called the store and changed the delivery until next Tuesday.

We got through the appointment and managed to get home with a minimal amount of traffic--a miracle, since going north from Oregon into Washington between 3-6p during the week is a crap shoot. On the way home, my mom started talking about making lamb stew with our leftovers from Easter, but I figured, even though she is feeling better, as far as back pain, she didn't need to make dinner on top of it.

I didn't feel like making stew, and I had planned to do their grocery shopping so I wouldn't have to do it today, so I came up with "plan B"--BBQ'd pork ribs from the deli case--which my dad loves. So I quickly made the grocery list and headed for the store. The only ribs they had were in the deli case, but there weren't any in the hot case, just those in the refrigerator that you reheat, so I picked them and everything else up and came back to the apartment. In a moment of lunacy, I had run into my parents' next door neighbor, a good friend who hates to cook, so I had invited her to dinner, so she was waiting when I got back.

I managed to get our dinner on the table within about 20 minutes. We also had macaroni salad (dad's request), and green beans and leftover warm baguette bread from Easter dinner. Ended it with ice cream and strawberries with a little chocolate sauce. As for ME, I had a small serving of the mac salad, lots of green beans, a small serving of ribs, and a small amount of ice cream and chocolate with LOTS of strawberries. I came in 165 over my calories for the day, but the day before with shagging boxes all afternoon, I was about 600 under my calories, so I figure it balanced out.

Oh, about the chair. I happened to call my friend who lives east of here--the one with the dog kennel (Pepper's former "momma") Anyway, she was more than happy to take the recliner and some other furniture that we have had in storage, so now it is just a matter of them coming to get it in the next couple of weeks.

Just writing about all this has me worn out, but I have lots to do today, so will see you all later.

Barb

EDIT: Welcome rosy54.
    As for the doggies, they were NOT happy when I got home, as they had been alone for about 8 hours--just like old times when I was working a regular job--but they got over it quickly with a walk and some dinner.
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow!!! How many posts in a day?? This is so popular we must be doing something right!!

:ohwell: I can't recall posting yesterday ...and will be quick today as we're just about to go to see Mum. This afternoon she's brighter after some new blood and the surgeon is OK with her progress. They're talking about moving her to a local smaller hospital where her physio and rehabilitation will take place. So...thanks for all your best wishes and prayers. So far so good!!

Well...today I've lost ....pounds! :bigsmile: But as you can guess.... it's through shopping!! I've bought a lovely summery dress and jacket for our GS's christening in mid June. Size 16 and no room for extra lbs!!!:noway: So ...here we go again.
    I must ...Log the food in the morning and be sensible with my choices
    I must ...stick to the log
    I must ...stay in 1000 calories, 1200 hasn't worked without the exercise
    I must ....do some exercise
    But.......
    I haven't logged today and I've just eaten ......wait for it ....:sad: Sirloin steak with a cracked pepper, red wine and cream sauce with courgettes provencale and a jacket potato. Followed by ice cream and chocolate sauce. wicked or what? I really felt like eating some "Adult" food for a change .... While mum's away that is.
    Tomorrow's another day!!!

:flowerforyou: Off to visit now
    Back tomorrow!!
    :drinker: Be better than me!
    :heart: Jackie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    good afternoon ladies,
    i did good on food so far today. not sure how much exercise i will get in. last night at bed time my back started acting up. i had both of the girls sleep over since they would not have to get up this morning early. One of them woke up around 2 am so i came and slept on the sofa next to them. that did not help my back any. i have pain pills but did not want to take any with them here so about 5 am took some advil and that helped some. went back in bed and slept pretty good until about 7am. feeling better today. still a twinge but not sure how much of a workout i will get in. I did my weights yesterday but dont think that did it. when i picked them up from school they were both sleeping so i carreid them to car instead of letting them walk. that probably did it. it was a lot better this time. last time i had to make an emergency room trip cause i could nto stand the pain.
    Heather dont be embarrassed about your surgery. I only have that problem when I am overweight and they are fat but i know they can be harmful to back and shoulders so you did the right thing. sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. the weather here is just great so maybe a walk later will be good. talk to you later. have good day.
    Vicki m
  • rfsahae
    rfsahae Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Checking in, hello again. Would love to have another friend or two... anyone out there? :flowerforyou:

I've lost 1.5 pounds this week, good, but I hit a stone wall at 8 lbs lost two months ago and DON'T want to hit that wall again.
    Convinced that stepping up exercise is mandatory. Plus the support of a few friends????

Traveling next week but that can be good (away from refrigerator!). Anyone live in Las Vegas? We can go for a walk!
    Randy
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Well done BirdieM!
    IMHO, most Italian cookies don't taste worth the calories... unless they're biscotti ,., otherwise too bland to my taste.
    As for the Godiva chocolates, cover them up or put them out of sight. Tell yourself they don't travel well and are probably past their expiration date...
    Hope that helps ;)