WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    I'm BAAAACCCCKKKK!

Kathy - I love shopping, Especially when I get things on the clearance rack. just took the tags off a shirt from Kohl's that was originally $24 marked down to $6.80.

Becky - my hubby knows me well enough. He knows that when I'm under any stress, he just says "go to the Y, just go to the Y". Seriously, I work off stress, frustration, and lots else. That's a big help. Honestly. One time a few years ago he and I were under the same stress. I went and worked out. Admitted, I worked out close to the door in case I had to make a quick exit to the bathroom to get sick. But when I left the Y, I no longer felt sick to my stomach. Now hubby, didn't work out. When I got home, he had cancelled all our reservations saying that he'd gotten physically sick. I would have had I not worked out. So exercise really does help with stress. I also found that if I can't get out in the sunshine (like in winter), Vitamin D suppliments help, but to me, exercise is best.

Well, I did my 15 min of yoga/day for Lent. Even took some yoga DVD's down to the condo. To be honest, I really don't feel anything special. As a matter of fact, in a way I was looking forward to Easter and no longer "having" to do it.

Recorded everything I ate while we were gone and then journaled it, mainly to see how close to my calorie goal I would get. Did pretty good, actually. Only two or three days was I over calories. But as much as I was under, it really all evened out, I may have even come out ahead. Did exercise almost every day. It's interesting to see what classes are at different places. Honestly, I am impressed with how far this Y has come. When I first went to it, probably about 10 years ago, it was just this one little room and I remember thinking to myself "this is IT??? Thank goodness I won't be here very long". Then one year I went and they had built this addition. Then they added more machines (treadmills, ellipticals, etc). Now they're adding more and more classes.

kackie - I'm with you. Even tho the 30 day shred leads you to feel you should do it every day for 30 days in a row, your muscles need 24 to 48 hrs to recover, so I do that DVD once every other day. I usually do resistance training 2 days/week and cardio 3 days. Then yoga on Sat. I probably should change it up and do strength on Mon, Wed and Fri. So what's holding me back? The fact that a lot of the cardio classes are MWF and weight classes on TTh. I just wish you didn't have to go back to the main menu (for the Shred) to get to the next segment but it just played automatically. I usually do all three in a row. What part of FL did you go to? You know, when we were coming back we stopped at a rest stop. It was interesting, most of the people eating their lunches there were elderly people, you could see in the cars of the younger people McD sodas, etc. Yet, it seemed that the older people were more conscious of not wanting to spend a lot of money and also more health conscious. I just found this interesting.

Have a question for everyone. There are times when I'm tempted to eat but I'm not really that hungry. Mainly it's boredom. Is there something someone can suggest that I can say to myself that will possibly keep me from mindlessly eating? I'm trying to say to myself "is it worth it?"

I am SOOO going to get my period soon. Today (4/11) has been really bad. I've had cravings for carbs and chocolate like crazy.

Made a pizza for hubby one night in the condo. MIL didn't have a pizza pan. Someone told me that you can put aluminum foil on top of the cardboard the pizza comes on. Well, that's what I did, but the pizza didn't come out as crispy as if I had used a pizza pan. That's something that's on the list for us to take with us next time we go down.

SuzyQ - WTG girl!

Barb (weaklink) - when I'm doing shoulders, I usually only use 3 lb weights. Sometimes for triceps (when doing kickbacks) I only use 5lb weights. When doing a kickback, one of the important things is to keep your arm up. If I have even an 8lb weight, I find that after about 8 reps, my arm drops and I don't feel it as much in the tricep. So using a smaller weight makes me able to do the exercise correctly and therefore get the maximum benefit. Kackie - you might very well need lighter weights (sometimes 3lbs) for smaller muscles

Barbie - Agree about how some people feel that the holidays give them permission to pig out. I found it very intersting that after a time of watching what I was eating, even when the holidays came around, I didn't want to pig out, I felt so yukky when I did that I stopped.

We went out for Easter dinner, I had a lobster tail. Really, the lobster was a bit on the tough side. This place specializes more in steaks than seafood. But I love lobster, really, I love almost any seafood. Had a sweet potato (since I really didn't make any at the condo) and some peas. My drink was always "water, no ice". I did have some chocolate cake for dessert. Wish it wasn't served to me. Honestly, I didn't feel all that great after having it. I really shouldn't have had it. But what's done is done.

Planning to do one of my downloadable spinning workouts tomorrow. Another reason is because I want to go to the branch of the Y (the one I like). See, they were planning to discontinue providing soap and shampoo at the Y where I'm on the Board (probably soon to be kicked off), but evidentally they got enough feedback that people were unhappy about that so they reversed their decision. As I read the letter that went out about this, I read "we were looking to cut back on costs, but the Health Dept. says that we must provide access to soap for at least 200 people so we're not going to. In other words, we would have if the Health Dept. said we could". Talk about cheap! It's one thing to be cheap, but another to look cheap, and to me this looks cheap. They've also decided that the aquatics director will also be the fitness director. Come on now!

Kathy - Sorry to hear about your youngest. There's abook called "Get Out Of My Life but First Would you Drive me and Cheryl To The Mall" I highly recommend this book. When my oldest was between 16 and 18, I swear I locked myself in the bathroom and read this book because if I didn't I would have killed her. There's a line in there that says "the more they pull away, the harder they come back" and it's so very true. When my oldest was between 16 and 18, I almost tore my hair out. Now, we live in NC, she lives in VA, she's 26, but she comes to visit us at least once/month and calls multiple times/week. Hang in there. They eventually figure things out (even tho I'm still praying for youngest)

Vicki - I am so jealous. AT&T keeps calling us wanting our business. We keep telling them that when they can provide U-Verse for us, then they will get all our business. You are so lucky to have it.

Vicki - I don't eat back my exercise calories. I tried adding in those calories, but I found that by the end of the day, I wound up eating junk food, mainly to get my caloreis in and I wasn't losing weight. To me, that's not worth it. I would rather eat good food. Another thing is that by not adding in those exercise caloires, if I eat over my 1253 limit, I still feel fairly safe because I know deep inside that I have those "extra" calories I could have. Is that clear as mud now?

Heather - I'm 5'1" also and according to the Harris Benedict method, I should be taking in 1253 calories so that's where I start. I think when I originally joined MFP it gave me 1300 calories/day. I found that to be too much, so I changed it.

Before we left for FL I went to Whole Foods, just to check it out. Never been to the one around here (45 min away). The good/bad part was that I found things that needed refrigeration, and, of course, I couldn't buy them. However....that also means that I have a good reason to go back.....lol

Barb - that guy in Tucson who has the dog who is 245 pounds...are you SURE that's a dog and not a mini-horse??????

You know what would be absolutely great? If Mike were able to make it so that there was a pie chart (really, any kind of chart) that would show you the percentages of fats to carbs to protein for the day? That would be totally awesome.

I found that if I have dinner (with protein, maybe chicken or turkey) around 4, I'm not starving by 6. Unfortunately, dh likes to eat around 6. I'm hating the idea, but I'm thinking that I'll eat earlier and then have something small, like a bowl of cereal, with him around his dinner time. Any ideas?

Robin - don't beat yourself up for having a bad day. Just don't let it be a bad week. One day isn't going to really hurt you. As a matter of fact, it might even help. Our bodies get used to a certain way (like having 1200 calories) that sometimes it's good to shake things up.

While we were in FL, I had the mother of all sinus headaches! Well, for one thing, FL news was saying how the pollen is at its worse. Well, I took some Sudafed but even tho it's the 12 hr kind, it only seemed to last for 6 hrs. I was in such pain that I decided I'd take another Sudafed. That's when I found out that the Sudafed had expired, which explained why I wasn't getting the full 12 hours. So the next day I bought some more.

Got to see the shuttle launch. In a word...it was SPECTACULAR. We started out by going onto the deck and watching the space station fly overhead. I was surprised how fast it was moving. But then again, it was moving at 5mph/SECOND which explains why it was moving so fast. Then we went behind the condo which is right across the river from the Space Center. The sun was just coming up but the shuttle was against a black backdrop. To see the flames from the ignition against the black sky was just awesome. Then as the sun rose, the sunlight hit the vapor trail that the shuttle left and it made such a rainbow! Truly awesome. Even tho I knew that there'd be a delay in hearing the shuttle and seeing it, it still surprised me how long it took before we could actually hear it. But when we did, the windows of the condo shook.

Things went smoother at the lawyer's than we expected, which was a nice change. We did get a new refrig. We got a pretty inexpensive one. Then again, we aren't down there all that much anyway, so we don't need all the bells and whistles. When we left, we unplugged it. When we moved one time, the mover moved our refrig and he recommended we put those coffee filters in it, and that really did keep that yukky odor away, so we put some in the refrig and freezer before we left.

Like I said, did pretty well on my eating and exercised most days we were there.

Glad to be back.

Michele
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Did plenty of exercise today golfing with some girlfriends. Man that was good ☼ It was the best weather, not too hot not too cold, no rain and no wind. AND not busy.

ttyl

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • pzzy4c
    pzzy4c Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I'm new to Fitness Pal and my goal for April is to stay focused on getting some type of excercise at least 3 times a week. If I lose weight that is a plus at this point in my life I really need to build my strength and work on toning.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

All of you dealing with aging parents, especially dementia: take care of yourselves too. Both of mine are still doing pretty well, but I know that cant' go on forever and I dread it. They have been my rock for so long.

Good night all! Kackie:yawn:

Good Morning Ladies :flowerforyou: Welcome pzzy4c

Kackie I'm like you, my parent's are in quite good health at the mo. They are both in their 70s and they still take me places. I'd be lost without them, but I know they won't always be in such good health and may need help in the future.

:frown: Well the sun didn't last long, it's a dull and cloudy day today. I hope it doesn't rain, I'm going shopping this morning to buy a summer :huh: top I need to get some wrapping paper too for my grandson's birthday present, he's 5yrs today. :smile: I'm going with my mum and dad, dad usually drops us off and me and mum do a bit of shopping and meet up again with him in the cafe, I pray I have the strength to stick with the cup of coffee and not eat any of the yummy treats they have. I know I have the willpower of a gnat most days. :embarassed:

It would be such a shame to weaken now especially since I have lost 1lb in my weigh this morning yaaaaayy . :bigsmile: I started today off well with scrambled egg and mushrooms, it was supposed to be an omelette, but it got stuck in the pan so ended up very scrambled :laugh:

Better get a move on before mum is ringing me to ask if I am ready, don't know what it is, but even though they are both retired and have all day to do things, they insist on going out early in the morning whenever we go anywhere :smile: I always seem to spend most of my time rushing about everywhere, whether it is work, evenings out, or going shopping with mum. :laugh: Seems I need to organise my time better.

:drinker: Happy Monday everone, chat again soon.

:heart: Viv :heart:
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I had a lovely weekend and although I ate and drank what I wanted I'm back on track today. My kids also bought me a wii fit plus for my birthday so I should be able to do some fun exercise on that :smile:

Everone who looks after their elderly relatives - I really admire your caring attitudes :heart:

Alice - belated congratulations to you both on your anniversary

Rebel - well done for all the bike riding and golf. We were out for a drive on Saturday, stopped at a cafe for a cuppa and got talking to the bloke in cycling gear who came and sat at the next table. He was on a 160 mile ride! We don't have the flat raods that they have in Holland either, he had come up some serious hills. We also have a friend in his 60s who is training for a 100 mile bike race. They are good adverts for cycling as they are both skinny :laugh:

Jackie - sorry to hear about your mum. Hope she is on the mend.

Michele - glad to hear you had a good break. I am so jealous that you got to see a shuttle launch. I've been to Florida a couple of times and one time the shuttle landed. It was dark but we watched it on tv and heard the boom. It did make the windows rattle and a lot of car alarms went off in the motel car park. Another time we visited Kennedy Space Centre and were hoping to see a rocket launch but it was called off because of the cloud cover. Maybe next time.

Viv - hope you managed to find a top. I often find that when I'm planning to buy something I can't find anything I like but when I'm only window shopping I see loads of stuff:laugh: Oh, we stayed in Rosedale Abbey last weekend. We had a run up to Whitby on the Saturday. It was a lovely afternoon, in amongst a bit of a damp weekend. I like North Yorkshire. We'll be down your way again for another weekend soon, staying in Alne near Easingwold.

Well, must go and make lunch. Have a good day everyone.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    hbbLS.jpg

Denise, sorry I missed your birthday. What thoughtful kids!:smile:
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    hbbLS.jpg

Denise, sorry I missed your birthday. What thoughtful kids!:smile:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Michele – Welcome back and I’m glad you had what sounds like a fantastic time.

Pzzy4c – Welcome

Viv- Your parents have the right idea about getting up and out everyday. Lol Getting up, dressed and on with your day early is suppose to fight depression and loads of other things. Hang in there.

There is an interesting short article in the latest Costco magazine. It said that without all of our modern conviences we used to use up 300 calories a day just on daily household stuff. 300 x 365 is a lot of extra calories everyday. It probably does contribute to so much of our population being overweight. That and processed foods. With that in mind I am going to try to burn 300 calories a day in exercise from now on. I don't use a dishwasher or an electric can opener and I have tile floors so I sweep alot, but still I'm sure that some of those 300 calories still apply to me.

Have a great Monday all,

Jeannie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Not a great weekend. DH didn't help. He wanted wine with dinner last night and that is really my weakness. He also had a craving for mexican crap food yesterday. I stayed within my calories but I feel puffy bloated and I am up a couple of pounds. I know its water but uggghhh!. Oh well gotta crank it out this week. I also finally have an interview scheduled for Wednesday. maybe the job market is finally starting to open up a bit. Hope you all have a great week.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options

Have a question for everyone. There are times when I'm tempted to eat but I'm not really that hungry. Mainly it's boredom. Is there something someone can suggest that I can say to myself that will possibly keep me from mindlessly eating? I'm trying to say to myself "is it worth it?"

There's a quote on my signature "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT." I try to keep that in mind whenever I am inclined to stray from the plan I've made for my day. That is one of the reasons that I'm wearing size 4 jeans now and 14 months ago I was wearing size 16. The other helpful thought is that often when your body thinks it's hungry, it's really thirsty so drinking 16 ounces of water might be just what your body needs and even if it isn't, :drinker: drinking water will distract you for awhile......also taking a walk (even up and down the hall a few times) can help.

:heart: Barbie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning All

:noway: Do you guys know how long it takes to get caught up when you miss three days! WOW so much happening and i guess you could say "that will teach you" for not reading over the weekend:laugh:

Benson - :flowerforyou: Good for you having the breast reduction. I had a co worker from years back that did that and she too was able to have it done because insurance covered it, due to health issues and she was really happy afterwards. My three sons were in Band during their High School years and I was the "Band Mom" for ten years...it felt strange when the last one graduated and I didn't have anymore competitions to go to on the weekends:sad: I really enjoyed spending time with all those kids.

Robin - WOW :noway: that was a lot of calories burned...I don't think I've ever burned that many and I'm sure you will be burning more lifting all those stones and hauling them up stairs, my body hurts just thinking about it. A few years ago we had 8 tons of rock to move and I shoveled it into the wheel barrel for my husband to haul...boy were we sore:laugh:

BridieM - I loved the "Lord help me endure my blessing" :laugh: I'm sure to remember that one.

Jackie - Glad your Mum is doing better.:smile:

Randy- Good for you on the 1.5 loss:drinker:

TamiToo - I pack my snacks every week and for the fruit daily, it keeps those naughty cravings away:drinker:

Mary - If I'm ever in an accident I would hope that there would be someone like you to come along:flowerforyou:

Barbie - great job on bringing your own snacks and resisting the ice cream:drinker:

Viv- How smart are you to go back and check to make adjustments to your calories and exercise to get things moving again:drinker:

Denise - So glad your husbands wallet was found:wink: I lost (misplaced:blushing: ) my main credit card a few months ago and after I had ordered a new one and my husband had to get a new one too...then I found it:blushing: Oops! Happy Belated Birthday:flowerforyou:

Alice - Congrats on those 34 years:flowerforyou: we are part of a special club (this year is 37 for us in Nov)

Rebel - I too unclicked that exercise button...I really didn't need to see how little exercise I do:blushing: ...I'm just not that into seeing that.

Michele - Welcome Back:flowerforyou: Awesome for you to see the launch. :drinker: A couple of years ago we visited Kennedy and it was an experience that I'll never forget, would love to see a launch!

Pzzy4c - Welcome:flowerforyou: This is a great place to get inspired and encouraged and to make new friends:drinker:

This weekend was pretty good, until last night:grumble: Went to the Cheesecake Factory with #3 son and DIL, I was good until my Hubby said let's split "Mango Key Lime Pie"....Yep I hade half and at the whole thing:sad: Loved every bite going down:blushing: Today I will make up for it by drinking extra water!:laugh:

Everyone have a good day and will check in at the end of the day, so as not to have so much to catch up on!:wink:

Laura:drinker:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :glasses: Good Afternoon folks ..... from a lovely sunny and warm...can't quite believe it!....N.Wales.

:sad: I know I haven't exercised and that I have just squeaked in with the calories 1200 most days but I think it's unfair for me to put on 2lb over night!! :angry: So ,,,definitely looks as if I must go to 1000 calories now!! Also ...I've been regularly taking the Ibuprofen for the arm and shoulder and I think I'll be able to go up a gear and begin the Latino tone DVD. Maybe the Salsa dancing too but omitting the arm lock movement that may have aggravated my arm.:noway:

:sad: I'll stop whingeing now and just get on with it!!!:drinker: Thanks Barbie and everyone for the supporting comments.

:heart: Also many thanks for the good wishes for mum .... she's a bit better today , I made some chicken and vegetable soup of which she had half a bowl . Mind you ...she wolfed down a mini strawberry trifle too so at least she's had something.:smile:

So ...it's bye for now. I'm back to visit in a moment.
    Take care everyone
    Jackie
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jackie

Don't beat yourself up! Just put the word CRUISE in front of you:love: and feel the inspiration!

You can do it!

Laura:smile:

Just noticed all my typos from earlier.:noway: ..and see that I can't go back and fix them now:cry: ...those clumsy fingers:grumble:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Alice, Happy Anniversary, What do think is your secret for staying married so long?

:flowerforyou: Rebel, I really want to come to Vancouver Island and when we do, I'll be letting you know......maybe we can walk part of that great trail together. Thanks for telling us how to adjust the news feed. I guess a lot of people made adjustments because I was starting to think I was almost the only one doing anything any more, now I know that others just shut off the information source.

:flowerforyou: Denise, happy birthday:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: , a bit late.

:flowerforyou: robin, your retaining wall project sound fabulous.......I don't get enough opportunities to burn calories doing something useful and productive.

:flowerforyou: I had a dream last night that I was carrying the rest of a huge sheet cake out to throw it away and I scraped off all the frosting and ate it and then worried that I wouldn't be able to find the calorie count on MFP and that I'd be so embarrassed to post such a terrible food choice. I was so relieved to wake up:laugh:

:flowerforyou: I'm trying to decide whether to ride the exercise bike or take a nap......the dogs are voting for a nap followed by dinner.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :heart: hugs:heart: Barbie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Rebel, I really want to come to Vancouver Island and when we do, I'll be letting you know......maybe we can walk part of that great trail together. Thanks for telling us how to adjust the news feed. I guess a lot of people made adjustments because I was starting to think I was almost the only one doing anything any more, now I know that others just shut off the information source.

Just an FYI Mike just changed the site. so now when you complete your food diary a post will go out and just give a total cardio calories burned. Not every time you enter something.
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello to all. Welcome home Michelle...how cool to watch a launch!! Welcome pzzy4c !!

Worked today but I did good on my calories. Also spent a lot of time on my feet and walking around so that was a plus! Yedsterday must not of done as well as I thougt (the scale was up .8 this AM)...it was hard to tell because I ate my dinner like a wild animal...tearing chicken from the bones and eating it standing at the kitchen counter. Big no-no and I know it! Oh well, two more days to weigh-in so I have time to recover. Did much better tonight. Took the rotisserie chicken off the bones, weighed it and put it on top of a lovely bowl of salad greens!! Very civilized too!:laugh: :laugh:

The big news alert is I went to T.J.Maxx yesterday and tried on capris. The size 12 was TOO BIG and I bought a lovely pair of size 10 (that's right...SIZE 10) capris in white that I wore to work today! Now I know I read an article just recently in one of my old magazines that said they are making clothes bigger nowadays, but nonethless it has been 22 or more years since I've been able to wear a size 10! So sized bigger or not, I'll take it!

Hope everyone has a great night! :heart: Terri:heart:
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am new and found this thread..Its late for me to set a big goal for April, its already the 12th...but Here goes and I pray that I can meet the goal.
    I am currently at 179 lbs. I would strive to be at 175 by the end of april...
    Started 3-24-2010 at 187 lbs and have been stuck for 2 weeks at 179 :(

Wish me well, and push me along so I can get to 175 by April 30th..

Thanks and good luck to all with yr own personal goals
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    WELCOME to the thread for Women ages 50+……….actually, all women are welcome. I am drinking another eight ounces of water as I write this. This thread and this group of women changed my life. I hope you have a similar experience. We check in with each other regularly and welcome new members. This has been a very supportive and encouraging group.

How did you do on your goals for March? What are your goals for the month of April? This is the beginning of spring weather and longer days allowing us more time for gardening and outdoor exercise. Never, never, never give up.

We can do together what we cannot do alone.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Joy I started the 1st of March and my monthly goal is to lose at least 10 pds. I know later it will be harder to do but as of now I have a whole person to lose, an adult, of whom weights approximently 165 pounds. Pretty scary so far I've lost 22 pds and I'm a mother of 2 and I'm 56 well into the 50+..
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The big news alert is I went to T.J.Maxx yesterday and tried on capris. The size 12 was TOO BIG and I bought a lovely pair of size 10 (that's right...SIZE 10) capris in white that I wore to work today! Now I know I read an article just recently in one of my old magazines that said they are making clothes bigger nowadays, but nonethless it has been 22 or more years since I've been able to wear a size 10! So sized bigger or not, I'll take it!
    Hope everyone has a great night! :heart: Terri:heart:

:flowerforyou: That is awesome Terri!! Take it for sure :heart: Congratulations (((hugs)))

Rebel