WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to MFP. I'm 53 years old, so I do fit your 50+ guidelines. :glasses: I have a long, long way to go to accomplish my weight loss goals and I could use all the support i can get. I'm a little late for your April Challenge but I hope not too late to get to know you and prepare for May's chalenge. I look forward to it! :flowerforyou:

Amalia
    Welcome, Amalia.......we are glad to have you with us......I hope we'll hear from you often......we all set our own goals.......some of us (me included) list our goals as part of our signature at the bottom so we don't forget what they are:laugh: some goals are about pounds to lose but others are about water to drink, or exercise to do, or new attitudes to acquire.

I joined this thread over a year ago and have learned so much from the other women---they have changed my life and I hope you have similar wonderful results.
    Barbie :bigsmile:
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Today is the one year anniversary of the day I joined MFP. In the last year, I have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't for me, have had ups and downs, completely changed my approach to food and lost just under 55 lbs. in the process.:drinker: :drinker: When I started, my original goal was to lose 100 lbs. in a year, but that didn't happen. Life intervened. The good news, is I have been under 200 lbs. since last November, and consistently STAYED that way.:drinker: :drinker: So it will probably take me another year to reach my goal, but I am so GLAD I started when I did. It is so much easier to be where I am now than where I was at this time last year.

Now that my birthday gift arrived (the new Total Gym) let the toning begin. Up until now, my exercise has been mostly walking, with some time on my Gazelle during the lousy weather. I haven't had time to prepare the spot where I am setting it up, so that will happen in the next day or two.

Barb

First off :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Congratulations Barb on 1) your 1 year anniversary for MFP!!...2) Your closet clean out and going from 18-24W to 14!! and 3) on having lost almost 55 pounds in a year!!! If you had not begun this journey you most likely would be sitting where you were weight-wise, if not heavier.

Personally, I think of all of us here as winners!! Why? Because we are trying! We're not sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves or feeling hopeless. We have made the conscious, or perhaps unconscious, decision to love ourselves enough to be healthier and kind enough to ourselves to accept our imperfect days without beating ourselves up or giving up in our efforts! It takes strength of character to try to change old bad habits for new better, healthier ones because it requires we are honest with ourselves! And that is what we are all doing.

What I've been pondering on today is how unfair it seems that I was able to lose about 38 pounds in the first four months of MFP and how it's taken me my second four month period to lose about 8 pounds (what happened to the 3 in front of the 8?). But whenever I start whining about something not being fair I always remember my Dad's voice saying..."No one ever said life was fair." I know it's just my body getting adjusted to my new smaller size but it does get frustrating!! Tomorrow is weigh-in and I am hoping for more than my 0.4 average weekly weight loss.

Mary:flowerforyou: :love: Congratulations on making your swimming goals for May early!
    Laura ...Hang in there. Don't give up or settle!! You can do this...you can reach your goal!
    MacMadame...sorry to hear about your rv and bike ride difficulties. Hope the next time goes better!
    Jeanie, holidays are hard to recover and I agree Easter is difficult. It's all that delicious sodium laden ham, deviled eggs, egg salad and candy that insists on hanging around!!

Welcome luly727, Lynda, Joy and Amalia...it's good to have you on-board! The more the merrier...and we are very merry!

Good night and good choices!! :heart: Terri:heart:
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Amalia! Barbie could'nt have said it any better....welcome!
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Amalia! Barbie could'nt have said it any better....welcome!
  • constancemwj
    Options
    I know it's been awhile sense I've posted My life's been crazy these last couple weeks,,, and so had my weight. I get home from work, get in a quick dinner, and workout and then just have enought time to log in quick and then jump into bed to get my 7-8 hrs in before I start all over again.... Even tonight I'm racing the clock again... but i just wanted to jump on quick and anounce I had weigh-in this morning and was down 2 lbs:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: .......I know it's not much,,, but I had to really work hard for it and it's great to see the scale go down every now and then.....I feel like the workouts are helping....Next week I go back to the Dr and have blood work done again and then I'll really see if this is all working.

i know what you are all taking about the size thing..... a month ago I bought some new jeans that are a size 10. I was so excited I was back in a 10 again it's been a long time and they fit so good.. and then I came home, in the bottom of my drawer I have a pare of size 10 jeans I love and have held onto for all these years hoping someday I'd fit in them again.. But when I tried them on... I had to really suck it in to get them even zipped up... So am I really a size 10?????:ohwell: It's sort of depressing... I just know all my size 12s are really fitting big lately

BTW welcome all the newbies you'll love it here... always something interesting going on if you can keep up with everyone:laugh:

have a good night everyone:yawn: and keep moving
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to MFP. I'm 53 years old, so I do fit your 50+ guidelines. :glasses: I have a long, long way to go to accomplish my weight loss goals and I could use all the support i can get. I'm a little late for your April Challenge but I hope not too late to get to know you and prepare for May's chalenge. I look forward to it! :flowerforyou:

Amalia
    Hi! Welcome to MFP. I'm never over on that other site any more but I read this thread every day.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barb, congratulations on your one year anniversary on MFP......I feel blessed to have known you this whole time and for having benefited from all your wisdom and fabulous stories......your friendship means a lot to me....you have lost a lot of weight in spite of some ongoing challenges........:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: on the subject of what size pants we're wearing today.......what was helpful to me was when I bought a pair of jeans in size 12 (after 20 years of size 16) and when the 12's got too baggy, I bought 10's and so on......trying to compare one brand or one generation of pants with another is like weighing yourself on every scale in town and trying to make sense of it (if you want a great scale to weigh on, go to the veterinarian where I take my pets
    midday, fully dressed including heavy winter coat, I weigh five pounds less than I do first thing in the morning in my nightshirt.---I know it's an artificial weight, but I enjoy it anyhow.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: The only thing that really works is consistency........staying with healthy eating and exercise, no matter what......if you decide to enjoy holiday food treats, wine, birthday cake, cheat days, restaurant meals, or any other deviations from a focused plan, what you get is a slower weight loss
    it's a personal decision......even so, we are all winners because if we weren't doing the healthy things we're doing, we'd be gaining weight and making no progress at all....just keep on keeping on.

:flowerforyou: DH has been gone for almost nine days and I've decided that he's been gone long enough.....unfortunately he won't be back for eight more days......one day at a time, I can do this...the dogs are getting sad.....OK, enough whining....it's time to go to bed and cuddle with the dogs.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • barbiecat
    Options

My weekend was wild. The RV broke down, my bike keep breaking, I fell and scraped my elbow and I was completely fried by the end of the ride. Read all about it:

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2010/04/misadventures-of-madcap-mac-wildflower.html

MacMadame, I read your blog, wow, you have an amazing ability to bounce back no matter what challenge you encounter.....you inspire me.:bigsmile: :drinker:
  • pattio
    pattio Posts: 9
    Options
    hi everyone i am back on the wagon or rather the walking path again. i love the way the mfp counts the food and exercise and tells me how much i am ahead. what a relief. i have had a few mis starts but it was good to see where i was over eating. i thought i was eating less until it started to log the food. today hurrah i came in just under the 1500 calories i am working with. i also just did a 6 km walk with a friend to raise money for ms. two weeks from now we are going to try 10k. for heart and stroke. supportive friends are great. here is a laugh i bought a scale to weigh myself daily. i set it up , stepped on it and realized i am so far away i cant read the numbers on the scale. lol. :laugh: now i need to really, truly work at staying on track cuz all i can make out are the thicker lines for the 5 lb icrements. my april goals are to exercise daily minimum 35 mins, stay within a reasonable daily calorie intact and enjoy life!:happy:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Today is the one year anniversary of the day I joined MFP. In the last year, I have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't for me, have had ups and downs, completely changed my approach to food and lost just under 55 lbs. in the process.:drinker: :drinker: When I started, my original goal was to lose 100 lbs. in a year, but that didn't happen. Life intervened. The good news, is I have been under 200 lbs. since last November, and consistently STAYED that way.:drinker: :drinker: So it will probably take me another year to reach my goal, but I am so GLAD I started when I did. It is so much easier to be where I am now than where I was at this time last year.

Barb

:heart: Congratulations on your one year anniversay Barb :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:smile: You are an inspiration, keep up the good work :drinker:

Viv :heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Lynda--Welcome to MFP. There are a lot of WW "refugees" on this site. For myself, I came here after considering WW because I didn't want the hassle of having to go to a meeting every week, and I am frugal (AKA "cheap":laugh: ) and didn't want to pay to log my calories, etc. on a website. There is a sense of community here, particularly on this thread. I hope it will help you reach your goals.

Jackie--There is only one thing to do--scan those late 60's photos into your pc and put 'em in your profile!! If you can't scan them, you could always shoot a photo of them with your digital camera or cell phone camera. Inquiring minds want to see your skinny self in those white boots!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Amalia--Welcome, I am glad you decided to check us out. You have already done a lot to be proud of. Best of luck in the future.

I am very envious of you. I have a vacation dream of visiting the Greek Isles someday, and you are already there. Lucky you!!:flowerforyou:

Terri--Thank you for your "anniversary wishes." Your post about carrying on is just the philosophical reminder we all need from time to time.

Barbie--Thank you for your warm wishes. I feel fortunate to have found you in this thread, and even more blessed that we live in close enough proximity that we were actually able to meet. Isn't it time for some more of that fabulous eggplant? Maybe I will have to get an order to go and bring it up to you....:noway: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry that Jake's trip is only about 1/2 way through...sounds like "absence makes the heart grow fonder.":flowerforyou:

Pattio--After reading about your inability to "see" your new scale clearly, it sounds to me like you might want to take it back and get a digital readout one. I am very nearsighted, and since I have my digital, I can get weighed WITHOUT my glasses being on. Gotta save those ounces where you can!!:laugh: Good luck with your 10K.

Viv--Thanks for your kind words. Sometimes I think the "inspiration" I provide is posting examples of what NOT to do!!:noway: :laugh:

In my earlier post, I mentioned going to dinner at a friends. It was excellent, and even though I splurged on a piece of garlic bread, I still came in about 300 calories under for the day..a good trend, since I have been over on more than one occasion in the last month. I also returned all the clothes that my friend had loaned me after I was down about 30 lbs. They were a good transition, but now are all too large. They will fit her after she gets back on track and loses some of what she has gained since I have known her. I also found quite a few items in my "too big" pile that I gave her right of first refusal on. She took most of them, and some will fit soon, others are a little farther away.

I also got a text message from a male friend I last talked to about 2 months ago. He was debating about going on Nutri-System. Turns out he did, and in two months he went from 389 to 354. He needs to get below 330 in order to get approved for the knee replacement that he needs. I am very happy for him as he is diabetic and losing can only improve that situation.

Well, it is late and I am rambling, so good night for now.

Barb
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe I am the first to post this morning. Just a quick pop-in as it is my weigh-in AM then off to work. For right now, my ticker says it all! Woo-Hoo!! Hope everyone has a fantastic day!! :heart: Terri:heart:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Got home last night from my trip to the Pacific coastline with girlfriends and am leaving with hubby this afternoon for a road trip through Texas Hill Country to see the wildflowers. Not only did I have a glorious time, but due to eating healthy all week and all that walking we did, I lost 3 pounds and 3 inches (1" each in my abdomen and thighs). The next 9 days hubby is off will be a real test of my changed lifestyle. This is the thinnest I've been in over 15 years. Needless to say I'm THRILLED!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday to All:flowerforyou:

Robin - You can do it, keep up the hard work:drinker: althought I'm sure a "bite" of chocolate may be in order!

MacMadame - I understand the "short" you are dealing with, I'm 4'11" and I'm in search of the weight I was after one week of marriage, wedding weight 98....one week later 108:grumble: but at my age I'm thinking 115 would be nice and maybe not as many wrinkles:laugh:

Suzanita - so sorry the pizza did that to you,:cry: last May when we were in Scotland we had the BEST :love: pizza ever at a little place in Glasgow and there is nothing here that comes close to it.

Randy - hope you enjoy your trip to vegas:drinker:

Jackie - Since my hubby thinks Catherine Zeta Jones is beautiful, I can't wait to tell him she has lost too much weight:noway: , because he really doesn't like skinny women.

Jeannie - will keep our fingers crossed that you get that much needed water and soon:flowerforyou:

viv - how was that gum?:ohwell: I really like it but have to be careful not to chew it too much as my jaw really gets to hurting when I chew too much.:grumble:

Suezzzque - Congrats on that 2 pound loss:drinker:

Barb - WOW, :drinker: one year on MFP...one day we will all be saying the same thing. About your friend on Nutrisystem, I've done it in the past:smile: and it works. Right now I'm combinine Nutrisystem with my own evening meals, it really helps for breakfast and lunch to bring their food, the decision is out of my hand and beside I really like the foods I've chosen:bigsmile:

Lynda & Amalia:flowerforyou: Welcome Lynda, age does make a difference when you are losing weight, only 5 years ago losing weight for me was so much easier then it is now,:grumble: it takes a lot more patience and time for it to come off now.

Terri - :drinker: keeping my fingers crossed for you to have a good weigh in, although you know that a 1/2 a pound a week is considered a good loss:drinker:

Constancemwj- :drinker: Congrats on that 2 pound loss

Barbie - those eight day will fly by:flowerforyou: how can they not with all of us here to keep you company:laugh:

Yesterday work was just more than I wanted or needed, it really interrupted my water drinking and eating of my afternoon snack:grumble: How dare work intrude like that! Now today my desk is overflowing, got a late night call from my Boss letting me know all he was leaving on my desk this morning:grumble: YUCK! But because I was late getting home last night, I wasn't able to do my exercise or eat what I had planned and having the kind and thoughtful hubby :blushing: I do we did a Del Taco run and had 3 taco's for $1.98...I'm a cheap date:happy: kept within my calories but would have rather had the exercise and the Mahi Mahi I had planned...so that's for tonight.

Everyone have a great day...keep fighting off those pounds:drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Lynda and Amelia ( I hope I spelled that right, I should have written it down)
    Happy MFP Anniversary Barb!
    Welcome back Susan and I'm glad you had a great time.

I am off today due to doctors appointments. We have 3 today.

I'm about back to where I was before Easter, so I'm glad that I won't have to move my ticker the wrong way.

There's been a lot of good information coming through this forum and I do appreciate all the links and references to helpful articles, the great ideas and all else that comes with this forum.

Today and tomorrow are depressing days for those of us living in the US of A as we all prepare to pay out taxes.:sad: :angry: :sad: I don't mind supporting all the stuff that they use the money for. I just wish there was more left afterwards.

The physical therapist is letting me swim while Anna does her pool therapy today, so this is a rare treat to get to swim midweek.

Also, Michele, we went to visit our old Y which we use to join every summer (outdoor pool) and it has expanded tremendously and we think we may join all year this time. I just wish I could get my hands on who plans their schedules and teen/youth activities. But, we like to swim outdoors and we can go to another Y for classes (I think that is what they said), so we will join our local even if we only use it in the summer and go to ones much farther away during the other seasons.

Chat with you all later,

Jeannie
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone.......A nice day again. Once again I've lost quite a few pounds today ...... ££££. We went shopping in Chester and had lunch out. Lunch has been duly logged in and I have 268 calories left.

An early start at the doctors was in order as I was in agony last night with the shoulder. Ironing was to blame !!! So ... I gave in and got professional advice.I'm on a stronger painkiller and anti inflammatory plus some physio. Not to do too much either ...so no housework!!! It's a good job I don't have to help my mum at the moment which is something I suppose.

Mum's being moved to our nearby hospital today ... in a ward where my DIL's sister is a ward sister. She will have her to chivvy her along and keep an eye on her.

The scales were better today and I'm back to the 153lb - think "CRUISE CLOTHES" Jackie!!!!
    I did save some £ today too ...I didn't buy the Bodyshaper I was looking at. The size 16 - 38C(UK) was...impossible to squeeze into let alone wear & there wasn't a 40D in stock. Made me think ...perhaps I'll wait and lose weight, then I won't need such a "firm control" under garment after all!!! I'm trying to iron out all the lumps and bumps for when I wear my "Christening "dress. What do all of you other ladies think about tortuous foundation garments??? To wear or not to wear??

Anyway ... must go now. Off to see whether Mum has arrived at the new hospital.
    Back tomorrow - hope you've all had a good day.
    Jackie

ps .... no smileys 'cos they wouldn't appear in right format????
  • rfsahae
    rfsahae Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi All

:happy: Laura, your words made me smile "How dare work intrude" - Yes of course but it's not just work, it's LIFE.

Incorporating what we need into what THEY need (boss, family, dog, house, car, yard etc) is part of The Biggest Challenge !!!! :wink:

Off for my walk here in Las Vegas, the weather perfect. Thank you all for the good words on my last blog entry. I take it all to heart. :heart:

Note to My Fitness Pal - - how about a smiley for exercise... y'know, with sweat on the brow?
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say that I lost another pound! :bigsmile: It's got to be the exercising because I was a little naughty a few times this week!:blushing: Tax season is almost over (for the most part:grumble: ) so we've been very busy.:noway:
    After the 15th maybe I can spend some time posting....but for now....have a good day!
    BirdieM:love:
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    Hi!
    I just turned 60 but feel in my fifties so can i join?
    need someone to kick my butt since i seem to think oh one brownie won't hurt. yah, right. i have gone on spring break and eaten out every night. did not gain or lose one pound. do you think these extra pounds are here to stay???????????? (all 166 of them and I am 5'6")
    getting ready to go camping this week wed - sun with friends - none of them are dieting. (YES of course they need to!!!!:laugh: :laugh: )
    another kathy:heart::heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    kathymurphy--

Welcome. Camping is a great way to get started, lots of opportunities to keep moving by hiking, etc. Hope you have a great trip. I am in Washington state and it is a little chilly here for camping this early, but I recall seeing that your part of the US has had some warmer weather already. Lucky you.

Birdie--Congrats on the pound lost. Gives me hope that I will not be stuck forever due to life making it difficult for me to get my exercise in.

I had more to say, but just got a phone call that my friend Linda, the one who has COPD and was so sick last year, is up the street at her vets office. Her little Shih tzu is seriously ill, and she is freaking out. So I have to go and provide moral support and find out a little more info.

Barb