Yes I AM fat!!!!!!

Options
123457»

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    it may be your pet peeve when someone says "no youre not fat" when you openly acknowledge your weight, but one of my pet peeves is overweight people who say "i am so fat" it makes me (and others i assume) pretty uncomfortable because there is no proper response

I see it the same way as when I admit I'm a total b*tch. Some people, bless their hearts, will reassure me that I'm not, however people that really love and care about me are more than aware that I have stated nothing but the truth. I think if the person states it as a point of fact (here's an example from the other day. Random Coworker: why are you dieting and working out so much? Me: Because I'm fat. ) there is ways of agreeing without being a jerk. You don't have to say, "Good thing you realize it, lardo, queen of french fries!" but you could say, "have you tried doing anything about it. or " sure, but does it matter" or even, "In my opinion, you're not, but you should be happy about yourself, so do you have any plans to change that?" (in my example my coworker laughed and said "well, that's a good reason" Which was not rude, mean, or falsely reassuring)

good points. i am naturally socially awkward so things like that make me more uncomfortable than the average person i think. i never know what to say, and always end up saying the dreaded "no you're not" lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have gotten that response at nearly 400lbs. They're either A. Retarded or B. BLIND

Or C. trying to be nice and/or PC I understand the OP's point, but no need to insult those that are just trying to be nice. Of course they knew you were fat.

And I suppose I can understand someone who would call others "retarded" not understanding the desire to be PC.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    On a more serious note, I have fat on me, but I am not fat. I am Marie. :)

This is the best thing I have ever read on this site. Thanks.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think people respond "you're not fat" is because they are trying to be nice. How blatantly rude (to most) is it for someone to say "yea, you're definitely fat"? I know that would make me feel horrible. You don't have to take the compliment, but at least let it go knowing they were trying to be kind. While you may not be daunted by someone agreeing, others would be. So, just keep in mind, not everyone would be okay with someone else agreeing that they're fat.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    BTW who the hell drug this topic out of the graveyard? I posted it in September?

yoovie did. Blame her.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Actually it looks like the comment above mine got deleted. I only ever respond to topics that show in my 25 most recently posted in topics, or stuff that people on my home page are responding to :tongue:

but i'll take my licks.
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl. I've never been offended by the word fat. I know I'm larger, fat, whatever you want to call it. I do not think people need to walk around telling people they are fat but they sure do not need to walk around and tell "fat" people they are not. Instead of saying "nooooooo of course your not fat." I would simply put it lightly and say "I do not use the word fat but if you feel you need to loose weight to be healthier do what makes you happy." Regardless if I am not offended by the "Fat" word many people are and I think we should be sensitive to feelings unless we know that person and we know they wont be offended by the truth.