Replies

• jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Lentils, Tofu, and Beans.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for over a decade. I would consider myself mostly vegan these days meaning I don't eat meat or animal bi- products( eggs, milk, cheese, ect). I have been looking for a way to add more protein into my diet with out overdoing it on the soy, or having all the added fat from nuts. I am considering a protein powder but I'm not sure what to look for, any advice would be great

green mung beans has high protein... make a veggie salad which also gives some moderate amount of protein and fiber. =) also peanuts have good amount of protein.
  • veganfoodie
    veganfoodie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Remember that protein is in everything. Kale and broccoli are especially good sources of protein as is the staple tofu and tempeh. If you chart your foods with MFP, you'll notice your protein intake is easily met without even trying. I'm trying to increase my fat consumption which is harder on a vegan diet. Good luck!
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This recipe!

http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/home/2011/12/29/lentil-meatballs-in-lemon-pesto.html

I don't just use it as meatballs, either. I shaped it into a hamburger bun today!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Textured vegetable protein.
  • veganfoodie
    veganfoodie Posts: 10 Member
    Options

you're so right on. i never worry about my protein intake. i don't add supplements to my foods either. protein is in EVERYTHING.
  • kgeldreich
    Options
    quinoa, beans, lentils, split peas, tempeh, hemp milk/protein powder
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    In the interest of responding to the OP, I would suggest Now Sports Pea Protein. One scoop=28g protein/130 cals. Virtually flavorless, but the texture is a little funky.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Remember that protein is in everything. Kale and broccoli are especially good sources of protein as is the staple tofu and tempeh. If you chart your foods with MFP, you'll notice your protein intake is easily met without even trying. I'm trying to increase my fat consumption which is harder on a vegan diet. Good luck!

When I'm having trouble meeting my protein needs I grab a big handful of iceberg lettuce and three almonds. I'm pretty sure that's what Ronnie Coleman ate at every meal.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Where do you get adequate fats from in your diet?
    Plants.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Plants.

Yeah, kale and red leaf lettuce are wonderful sources of fat.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Plants.
    I got that you're a vegan. Care to expand on that?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

nuts- almonds, peanuts, cashews

avocados

olives and olive oil

coconuts
  • marsbarsx0
    Options
    I use Ultimate Nutrition Wheat Protein Isolate (vanilla creme flavour). It's vegan and delicious.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    pepitas, I forgot about those, love them!
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use MLO Brown Rice Protein Powder.
    It's vegan, supplies 15g protein per serving, 110 calories, 2g fiber, and 20% iron.
    There are better fortified options out there, but they're expensive and I don't really need the additional nutrients.
    You can get it at Kroger in the health food section.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Avocados, nuts, coconut oil, peanut butter. Oh god peanut butter.