Irresponsible SO

Options
124»

Replies

• the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the joint accounts. My husband and I don't have joint accounts. We shuffle money between accounts as needed.

This.

JM
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    good luck..my ex could not control her spending. individual accounts just means he will spend his money and leave you with the bills to pay...

^This
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Oh hecccckkkk no! I don't make tons of money so I have to be VERY careful with what i do get. i can't imagine my SO spending my money frivolously like that. my ex was that way...never has money, is always broke to this day, and i had no idea what he spent it on (but i assumed video games), then he would ask me for a few dollars "here and there". !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    why did you join your accounts

Because they were in love :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

lmao
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just check his online banking frequently and be all like "WTF DID YOU BUY AT CANADIAN TIRE FOR $300.00". he will get sick of your b!tching and learn to be more responsible with money.

WORD!.. well.. minus the invasionof privacy part.. haha...

When me and my girl first started dating (4 years ago) she would come to poker games with me and had no problem with how I spent my money. As months passed on, she would make comments of how I spent my money. Yup, I used to get mad, but because of her, I saved over 10 grand by watching what I buy, all do to her *****ing. Like I said, I got mad, but she did get me thinking, do I really need to play that much cards, do I really need a stereo system, and so on. That is why, this Christmas, I was able to make some good decisions, thanks to her...

That's how we role. I never said anything until we had been dating a while, and he got mad when I first commented, and commented and commented. Now he has a REAL savings account and knows it's because I opened his eyes to his spending.

ETA: We don't have a joint account, but I have a pretty elaborate excel workbook of our monthly expenses. Rent, groceries etc. He knows he has to give me receipts for groceries etc that he buys. I tally the month and he writes me a cheque. (I pay rent, the biggest portion.)

Yes, but this only works with people that are willing to listen and not have a tantrum instead. :frown:
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    why did you join your accounts

Because they were in love :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

lulz

no reason to stop using math

Hilarious.. and totally true!
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies so far but as a banker I suggest that couples that move in together (or are married) have 3 accounts. Her personal account, his personal account, and a bill account that both contribute into. I feel that I have saved a few relationships with this suggestion
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There is a reason my ex-husband is my EX.

Current, awesome, husband doesn't have this issue. :smile:
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a joint account, as well as seperate accounts. He pays 2/3 into the joint account, and I pay 1/3 ( he makes way more money than I do ) for our monthly expenses. Then we are free to spend our remaining seperate money anyway we see fit. I never question his purchases, and he never questions mine. Our bills are taken care of.