How to go to a bar and not get hammered?

Options
123457»

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Eat A LOT of meat before you go out drinking. All jokes aside, if you eat a very heavy, dense meal before you go out, that generally helps with not getting as drunk. I usually rely on Chipotle for that or a big juicy burger. Mmm... if you're a vegetarian/vegan, I have no advice for you.

I usually eat a lot of meat after getting hammered, not prior.

Too much? Ok, I'll go back in my corner.

How YOU doin'?
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Eat A LOT of meat before you go out drinking. All jokes aside, if you eat a very heavy, dense meal before you go out, that generally helps with not getting as drunk. I usually rely on Chipotle for that or a big juicy burger. Mmm... if you're a vegetarian/vegan, I have no advice for you.

I usually eat a lot of meat after getting hammered, not prior.

Too much? Ok, I'll go back in my corner.

Never too much. Besides, nothing wrong with having a lot of meat before and even more after. Just sayin...
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It's just a matter of will power.
  • ynotcycle
    ynotcycle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "How to go to a bar and not get hammered"

Go to a fruit bar?
    Go to a Coffee bar?
    haha jk

Considering that bars are designed to be a social meeting place centered around alcohol consumption, I think the best thing to do is build a well stocked bar at your place and invite friends over.

Sorry I'm not more help, I like drinking haha
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start a new rule for each alcoholic drink you have drink a glass of water.

soon enough you'll be running to the bathroom too much to drink a lot.

what also helps is bar hopping. staying at the same bar the entire time you're out is a GOOD way to get all kinds of drinks you never ordered or on the house. going from location to location means that eventually you'll get someplace where you'll have to stand in line with the rest of the people
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    300px-Duct-tape_zps4274e763.jpg
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    I'm curious, exactly what kind of answers were you expecting to get here? Was the answer not obvious enough already?

Well if we had that kind of self control already we probably wouldn't be here at all. This question is just as legit as all the countless treads asking how to stop binge eating or eating fatty foods/chocolate/candy/soda... You get my point, just don't eat them isn't always the answer we need
    Excuse me?

Last I checked, I'm not here because I'm an alcoholic.

Food binge, alcohol binge - same *kitten*, different substance.

Except when I go and binge, I don't potentially become a danger to anyone else since I can't control myself... only a danger to *myself* Alcohol is a whole other topic.
    ^This.

I can't get arrested for eating in public, I can't get arrested for eating and driving, my judgement isn't impaired, the likelihood of me getting in a car crash because I went on a food binge then decided to drive is slim to none...I mean, I can go on and on.

Dear lord. Not even close to the same thing.

I'm pretty sure she did not mean that food had the same effect or consequences as alcohol would, but the foundation on the BINGING alone is the same.

A lot of people on here complain about self-control issues, and why should those issues only extend to food? Food, like alcohol, can be something we have a hard time saying no to, because we enjoy it. We don't desperately need it, we just enjoy it, so we want it.

That premis is the same.
    People beratting her for not having self control should take a look at a lot of forum members who complain about the same issues daily, perhaps the product of the complaint isn't the same - and if abused the consequences are not the same - but the reason behind the complain is.

Lack of self control is lack of self control. Be it food or alcohol. The foundation for this lack of self-control is another issue and does not automatically mean she is an alcoholic.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, exactly what kind of answers were you expecting to get here? Was the answer not obvious enough already?

Well if we had that kind of self control already we probably wouldn't be here at all. This question is just as legit as all the countless treads asking how to stop binge eating or eating fatty foods/chocolate/candy/soda... You get my point, just don't eat them isn't always the answer we need
    Excuse me?

Last I checked, I'm not here because I'm an alcoholic.

Food binge, alcohol binge - same *kitten*, different substance.

Except when I go and binge, I don't potentially become a danger to anyone else since I can't control myself... only a danger to *myself* Alcohol is a whole other topic.
    ^This.

I can't get arrested for eating in public, I can't get arrested for eating and driving, my judgement isn't impaired, the likelihood of me getting in a car crash because I went on a food binge then decided to drive is slim to none...I mean, I can go on and on.

Dear lord. Not even close to the same thing.

I'm pretty sure she did not mean that food had the same effect or consequences as alcohol would, but the foundation on the BINGING alone is the same.

A lot of people on here complain about self-control issues, and why should those issues only extend to food? Food, like alcohol, can be something we have a hard time saying no to, because we enjoy it. We don't desperately need it, we just enjoy it, so we want it.

That premis is the same.
    People beratting her for not having self control should take a look at a lot of forum members who complain about the same issues daily, perhaps the product of the complaint isn't the same - and if abused the consequences are not the same - but the reason behind the complain is.

Lack of self control is lack of self control. Be it food or alcohol. The foundation for this lack of self-control is another issue and does not automatically mean she is an alcoholic.

My thoughts exactly
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    MJ?
  • ksm_623
    ksm_623 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I believe the obvious and best solutions have already been stated..
    1) stop drinking/going to bars in general
    2) don't drink at the bar at all
    3) drink water between beers
    4) only take enough money for cover and two beers
    - this I have found to be the best solution for myself, although it doesn't account for free drinks.
    If you're one of those people that wonderful drunken people buy drinks for, you'll just have to find a way to turn it down or just don't take any money in at all. If you're meant to drink people will buy them, if not then you'll still have a good time hanging out and listening to the music.