Foods that shocked you

Options

Replies

• MSSMAD
    Options
    NUTS! 1/4 cup or 1 serving is so high in calorie!

OIL!!!! I'm Italian, and a fairly common Italian snack is bread dipped in oil and vinegar with spices, I was shocked at the amount of calories I was putting away in one sitting!

AVOCADOS were a shock, but you can work with the serving size to make it worth it.

PIE! Just yeah...shocking when you really look
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    5 guys veggie sandwich...it's a bun with some veggies on it to the tune of 440 calories...how is that possible???

I'm thinking that is a lot of bun calories. I didn't even know they had a veggie sandwich at 5 Guys.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden's seafood alfredo shocked me! That and bread, milk, and sausage. I switched to almond milk to keep getting my calcium without resorting to pills. I take enough pills already. Moderation is everything and denying yourself will lead to failure.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    How many calories orange juice is.
    120kcal for one small glass. Whut?

That's nearly twice as much as an orange.

Have you ever made orange juice from fresh oranges? 1 orange dosen't even make half a glass of juice. It's been a while since I did it last, but I think it probably takes about 3 oranges for 1 glass of juice depending on the size of the glass and the oranges.

I just don't think orange juice is worth it. A single fresh orange lasts longer than a glass of juice, tastes the same, and it makes you less hungry too.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Avocados!! So unfair! But it doesn't stop me eating them. :)
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    All the foods I love, basically...lol.

Peanut butter
    Cookies - I know that sounds ridiculous but I never realized a single unsatisfying cookie can be anywhere from 80 to 200 calories
    Ice cream - Who eats just 1/2 a cup? That's one scoop.. I used to have 3!
    Granola
    Dried fruit
    Nuts
    Bread
    Pizza - 250-300 calories for a single slice.. who eats one slice? I could eat half a damn pizza.
    Fast food

Of course, it was my ignorance about calories in general that lead to my weight gain.. I *never* thought I ate that much, considered myself to be a mostly healthy eater with some snacks thrown in here and there.. little did I know I was probably clearing 3000-4000 calories a day several times a week :/
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into buying a hot air popper for popcorn?

I've just started seeing them available online in South Africa but I haven't found them in any shops yet. Our postal service is notorious for "losing" packages so I'm waiting to see it in the shops.

I'm going back to the US for a few months in 2013 & I'm excited about the availability of all the things I can't get in SA. :)
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    5 guys veggie sandwich...it's a bun with some veggies on it to the tune of 440 calories...how is that possible???

THIS!!!! I've found this to be the case with a lot of vegetarian sandwiches at a number of restaurants..
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    I started drinking Green Matcha Tea from Starbucks after reading about it in a women's bodybuilding magazine. Come to find out, the actual "tea powder" is already pre-sweetened with sugar, so even if you ask for it unsweetened, you are still drinking sugar calories. Now I'm not sure what to do with my starbuck's gift card!
  • bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts & milk
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Nothing that I love really shocks me... I know it'll be high in calories because it's so dang yummy - take REAL macaroni and cheese for example. Or delicious mashed potatoes... most of what makes mashed potatoes amazing is high in calories (like cream).

I was pleasantly surprised at how FEW calories pickles have!
  • janesmithh
    janesmithh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Butter is scary.So is icecream and cake. I guess that is obvious, but I always think a little is fine.and it turns out it is not. it turns out that every small bite i eat becomes a bigger and bigger bite and I can't seem to stop
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I started drinking Green Matcha Tea from Starbucks after reading about it in a women's bodybuilding magazine. Come to find out, the actual "tea powder" is already pre-sweetened with sugar, so even if you ask for it unsweetened, you are still drinking sugar calories. Now I'm not sure what to do with my starbuck's gift card!

Shall I pm you my address? lol. I love starbucks light frapps!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Nothing that I love really shocks me... I know it'll be high in calories because it's so dang yummy - take REAL macaroni and cheese for example. Or delicious mashed potatoes... most of what makes mashed potatoes amazing is high in calories (like cream).

I make mash with light marg, light sour cream and skimmed milk. Tastes yummy but less cals and fat. :)
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey. People always touted it as some miracle alternative to ground beef, but it's no more better than 93/7 ground beef.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's so sad that a nine year old has to be concerned about her weight :(
  • gboybama
    gboybama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bell's Hopslam. Three hundred calories per 12 ounce bottle. If MFP is right on that, that's pretty sporty.

Still drink it when I get the chance though.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Bread-esp salt intake. Chocolate
  • hsmithway
    Options

I make mash with light marg, light sour cream and skimmed milk. Tastes yummy but less cals and fat. :)

I made mashed potatoes tonight, and I boiled bunch of fresh garlic cloves (7 or 8) right along with the potatoes, and mashed them in. Added tons of flavor and hardly any calories, though I did add some skim milk as well.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's so sad that a nine year old has to be concerned about her weight :(

Something like 30-40% of kids in America are either overweight or obese, so while some might see these as "concerning," I think it's best to at least make them aware of what's healthy and what's not at a young age. Bad habits start young and are really hard to break-- IDK, I'd rather have my preteen be knowledgeable and aware of what's healthy, instead of on the track that so many young kids are on today.

As far as what shocked me-- I've always been really cognizant of calories and what foods are "healthy," but I will say that Chia and Flax surprise me. How something so tiny can pack so many calories and fat (but protein and fiber too!) baffles me.