WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi there, It is nice to find this Women Ages 50+ group through a friend. I am 50+ in age and bust size and hoping the latter will decrease soon! I am a clear case of "be careful what you wish for" from times being teased as a "flatsy" in my youth. I am looking forward to 2013. Lean and Mean in 2013. That is the plan. I have taken to deciding on resolutions or intentions and starting that minute. So I didn't wait for January 31 and already ordered and tried the 30 day shred. Phew! ouch! I think I might be able to try doing it every other day. I have also signed up for aquacise classes three times a week in January. It's a lot going that often, and won't be easy to convince myself to trudge through snow to jump in cold water, but I really love water and exercising in water and the cold water is good for inflamed joints so that's part of the plan. My other challenge is always always to eat vegetables. I hate 'em. The odd time I can convince myself something involving vegetables is good, but it's not easy. I like caesar salads well enough, but how high fat is that? ha! The winter storm has hit here and all I can see out the window is white. I am so glad I got out for a walk today before it started. I look forward to sharing with and supporting all of you in 2013.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Megs this was in DeeDee's post. I am just reposting it as you asked about Dixie!

To those who know Dixie, I got an email from her yesterday, she`s doing okay as okay can be, the first Christmas without Lee...
    She said she`s thinking about coming back to MFP, she`s moved and is getting settled in right now. I, of course told her we would all love for her to come back!
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Robin, Bodie and Ritter,

Your Olive the other reindeer is so cute! :bigsmile: Your DGD is one cute little girl! I also get picture updates of family on facebook!:drinker:

Hope you are doing well! Linda S :flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Olive is so darn cute.
    anyone who`s having blizzard conditions,be safe
    HUGS
    jane
  • ouray12
    ouray12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ladies! My name is Karen. I'm 56 and trying to get and stay motivated in my quest to lose some weight and be healthier in the years to come. Hope you won't mine me joining you.

Thanks,
    Karen
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Jen - what a compliment your neice gave you!

Did an hour of Jari Love Revved to the Max DVD today. Tomorrow I'll do incline intervals. Actually, I need to go to this branch of the Y because I'm entered in a contest and if you exercise a minimum of 4 times during the week, you are entered to win a $50 gas card. Hey, I'm exercising anyway! I probably won't win.

About Denise - Vince talked to me last night and he's right. Normally, I'm the optimistic one, the one who is always looking on the bright side of things. He couldn't believe it, he was telling me how I should be greatful that she isn't pregnant or into drugs. He's right. Deep down inside, I do feel she's a good kid. She just has a very hard time dealing with any type of change.

I got one DVD for Christmas and I could swear that I must have it, only I can't find it. I'm not going to open this one just in case. It's Rodney Yee's AM & PM yoga. I could swear that when I was doing it, I was thinking to myself "boy, does he have a great bod"

I invited Ken & Lynette over for dinner. They said that Monday would work better for them. I had a feeling that they'd opt for Monday rather than Sunday because I believe they go to her mother's house for dinner on Sunday. This way Lynette doesn't have to cook twice! Well, I'll probably make some sort of pork roast and then we can have the leftovers New Years day. Can't have fowl, that's for sure.

question: can someone tell me why you shouldn't have fowl?

My sinuses were acting up so I took a Sudafed. Last week remember when I told you that where they pulled the tooth was "sensitive". Well, it isn't any more. Wonder if it is the sinuses. Well, I have an appt with the dentist next Thurs just to be sure everything is healing correctly.

One thing I got for Christmas, I get this every year, is a weekly calendar to replace the previous year's. Actually, I'd already written things into the calendar when I gave it to Vince to give to me.

All this talk about veggies makes me wonder where mimi has been? Has anyone heard from her? I see she's logged in.

Robin - Olive looks so adorable!

smwert - walking on unplowed ground is a great calorie burner

Linda Sundance - I have crystallized lemon, True Lemon, in a packet. Will this work just the same in hot lemon water? I usually put that in my water just to give it a little "zing"

I'm trying making Vince a new recipe for brownies. Only the recipe says to put the batter in a "Square Baker" and I have no idea what that is. So I'm using a square 8 x 8 pan

Meg - I read in our paper that our garbage would be picked up one day late. However, this morning I saw A LOT of the neighbors had their garbage out so I hurried up and got outrs out. It won't be picked up until tomorrow.

Meg - you've got that right, so many times I want to intervene with Denise, but I know deep down inside that I really can't. So I just pray (I have the sorest knees from praying so much) and try to keep the lines of communication open to let her know that we're always here.

Melodys_attic - welcome, just jump right in. You won't find a more understanding, supportive group of women anywhere. I like your phrase "lean and mean in 2013" Has a nice ring to it. Good for you signing up for the classes. I like exercising in water. You don't feel like you're exercising -- until the next day, that is!

Karen - just jump right in. Tellus more about yourself. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options
    Fowl is considered unlucky for New Year's as they scratch for food----associated with scratching out a living ---- being poor and just making it.

I have no idea what Linda would say but I've been told fresh lemon juice is preferred.

I hope things go better Michele.

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Today was a fun day went to the Y and played in the water.

@Lin. What a wonderful gift you gave your Dad. The gift of you being with him. Sorry you aren't feeling good hope you feel better soon.
    @Robin -- what a sweet picture of Olive.
    @Karen welcome

I was at a thrift store found a Dvd on.breathing and relaxation techniques. He does use some yoga principles. I am looking forward to learning more about it.

@Michele I hope your sinus start to feel better quickly.

@Dee and @ Barbie. Thank you both tor the encouraging words.

Tomorrow is another work day the roads were slick hoping for a good safe commute to and from work.

Liz
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday evening!

Beautiful sky, a few clouds around the glowing almost-full moon. :love: No rain today, ahhhhh.

I'll roast a turkey this weekend, I think, then make tamales on New Years. Wouldn't want to have more bad luck next year and be found scratching out a living like I've had to do this year! :ohwell:

I've been spending less time on the computer lately, but doing pretty well getting back on track after the holiday food craze. I don't miss those cookies one little bit. Uh, but it's a darned good thing there aren't any in the house tonight! :tongue: Sugar and me just don't get along well. Skin breaks out in bumps, stomach protrudes along with hind end and thighs. My pants have been feeling tight. :explode: No no no! Must not let that happen.

Trying like heck to stay right around 1200 cals, watch my sugar intake, do yoga, weights, crunches, squats and push ups daily, and jog 20 minutes with my terrier after walking both dogs around the park. I was sure sore from the routine last week, feeling a little better now as my legs are getting used to it all. 28 push ups today, yay. :bigsmile: On my way to doing 40 like I was last spring before gardening season started.

Good to hear the news about Dixie. It sure would be nice if she's able to come back here.

I thought about rewriting Auld Lang Syne, lol. Should all the cookies be forgot and never brought to mind....

Everyone take good care! :flowerforyou: Be well! Think thin!

:smile: jb
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone and hope your Boxing Day was uneventful (unless of course your Christmas was quiet and you wanted a busy day today).

The trip to pick up my daughter through the snow was pretty ugly. Her Dad totally surprised me and actually drove her half way, that is so unlike him I just about fell over. However, I am very grateful that he did! Sometimes, it is so nice when people surprise you and act out of character. We had a nice birthday dinner with future SIL and his dad and then another ugly drive back through heavy snow and high passes and really bad roads to my place. Josh arrived two days later for Christmas Eve and we had lovely quiet times and long dog walks and fun in the snow and good food. We all had a nice long Skype visit with DD2 in the Netherlands on Christmas morning (she was 9 hours ahead so had completed all her Christmas visits and dinners). It was nice but I can hardly wait until February to give her a hug.

Both DD and future SIL are vegetarian so I made a nut loaf in puff pastry and lots of good veggies. I don't feel like I've overdone anything which is a really nice feeling. They left this morning with their two dogs (forgot to say that all four dogs got along famously but the cat was less than impressed and hid most of the time).

I was feeling pretty down for a bit, but a good stint of cleaning has restored my temperament. For some reason, heavy cleaning is the way I deal with any sort of stress or depression. Tomorrow I'm going to dogsit a friend's son's dog for a week, that should be interesting and keep my two dogs occupied.

I read all of your posts and am happy for all of you with good Christmas experiences, feeling for those of you dealing with family drama (remember, you have to take the long view, this too will pass). Liz, I love how you are making your house truly your home. Lin, how great to spend that day with your dad. All of you sickies, hope you are feeling better soon, hang in there. JB YES!! do Auld Lang Synge for us!!!! Robin, Olive is absolutely adorable and to all you doting GMs, how I envy you those little hugs and kisses. To those I missed (so many posts, so little time), I loved reading all your posts my Vitamin F family.

Will check in again soon now life is back to routine
    Lila
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We did a little post Christmas retail therapy today. I got four new tops for very little money. Love the post Christmas sales. I might go back for pants tomorrow.
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good late evening ladies,

Just surfacing briefly to let you know I am still alive and very pooped!

We had a super Christmas, in the morning opening presents by the glow of the new (our very first) fireplace, listening to music, playing with our new ’toys’ and in the evening we joined the family for a delicious meal, fun-filled game playing and getting a glow on by the fire.

Boxing Day, while I worked the boys cooked our gobbler and I must say they rocked that meal!! A most excellent turkey, dressing and gravy, look out Iron Chef! (It ain’t Christmas without turkey left-overs).

Today (working still) DH and his brother started on the bathroom downstairs, the last hold-out from the flood. The start is looking good! Tonight we went to the movies as a family, something we rarely ever do. SKYFALL, James Bond does not disappoint. Its been a good festive season so far! ….. now if only the ‘sickies’ would get better so I can have a day off! ….. poor souls..... poor soles!

Cheers, only a few days left of the old year and a new beginning right around the corner!

Kate
  • SmilingRn56
    SmilingRn56 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good Morning/evening or whatever you consider 0147 am to be. I work 12 hour midnights so this is the middle of my "day". I am new to this forum and new to myfitnesspal. I am definitely over 50. I did the other program that has W's in its name in 2008 thru 2010 and lost 56 pounds. But then I became ill and gained 36 of it back. I'm frustrated that I cannot zip up my coat again and that my knees are starting to hurt again. So I'm starting all over.... but i never quit trying. :ohwell: This is the start of my third day on myfitnesspal. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hope everyone had a good and blessed Christmas. Will be working New Years Eve, so I won't have too many temptations , but then again sometimes the vendors or doctors "treat" us with food in the breakroom. I bring my lunch and try to stay out of there. Being on nights makes weight loss more difficult.... but it is possible. I know my biggest downfall is getting off my butt at home and excercising, or walking the dog, or using the WII that I paid so much for that is gathering dust.. I live with my 2 cats and my dog. Just moved into a nice condo. 2013...watch out. Here I come. Glad to meet everyone here. Your thread is long and full of life and information. Have a great day! :smile:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Katla
    Isn't that great to see someone happy in there job. Take the compliments you earned them.

Sue
    Yes need the fruit and veg. I need to get to groceries for soup makings. I find that the best way to get my veg.

Smwert
    So you must be in Southern Ontario. Because no snow in awhile up north here. Don't you feel good for getting out and walking.

Annie
    Life back to normal will be great.

Lucy
    I can't picture myself with children out of town. I always say i'm blessed to have all my three boys settled in our home town.
    That's what this site is for Venting.

Robin
    I think yu have the cuttest reindeer of the seven yours make eight.

Lin
    Sorry to hear you got the Christmas bug. But see your caring for it the old fashion way. I always say a common cold last 7 days.

Wess
    I imagine most of us could say guilty to that.

Linda S
    Down the lemon it should help in more ways than one.

Glenda
    Wanting the healthy food is just a reminder of how far you have come.

Meg
    I need to go shopping to. Need veg. for soup. I love birds but my two little dogs won't have them. So I go to a friends in the country and share hers over coffee.

Melody
    If your looking for help and inspiration this is the place to be.

Jane
    I will settled for soft fluffy snow don't need blizzard.

There that's page 13 done will be back to do page 14 after coffee and a bit of housework. And will pick up my veg. for soup while up town for coffee. Going to make today a good good day. Need to get my b/s readings down. So need some healthy eating and exercise for that.

Going to do like yesterday get out on the corner where hubby goes for coffee and walk to the Legion where I go for coffee. Not a big walk but it's a start.

Linda C
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Welcome to the newbies:flowerforyou: , come in often and chat with us!!!

I don`t know what is going on with me...I`ve just been so busy I haven`t had time to reply like I like to:frown: . I think I said in Oct. or maybe it was Nov. (I don`t remember now) that I was going to slow down some and boy...that has not happened. I also gained 3 pounds which I`m still trying to get off, now you would think being busier, moving more and watching what I eat...I would be losing insteading of gaining:sad: . Last night I had my last Christmas dinner at a wonderful Italian place, it was so good, I`m sure I didn`t get my calories estimated correctly and this morning I`m down 1.4lbs., the dinner I had for the kids on the 23rd...I ate more than usual and I was down 1.4lbs too, and in between really watching what I was eating I gained .5, .2, .5....:huh: :huh: :huh: . I`ve got to take some time and figure out what is going on. I`m tired of being on this roller coaster:sad: :sad: :sad: !!! Enough of my rant:blushing: !

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Jb:smile: I`m ready to hear the new song:bigsmile: , get those lyrics on here!!!

Robin:smile: Olivia is the cutest:love::heart: :love: !!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    SmilingRN- Welcome to a great group of supportive women!

I used to work as a lab technologist and did the 11 - 7 shift for a while. It is very hard for so many reasons!
    My rule for food at work is that I only eat what I bring. No exceptions. This has worked well for me for the last two years. I even take my lunch on conference days when they "feed" us. They try hard, but the choices are just not healthy.

This is a great group of women to share your journey to a healthy life-style. No matter what your question, someone will have input and encouragement. Check in often. We are a chatty bunch.

Linda C- I always feel better when I have gotten in a good walk. Hope you get the pedometer figures out. I love my Fitbit. It is very motivating to see how many steps I have gotten in and how many calories I have burned.

Kate- Sounds like you really enjoyed time with family. We put in a fireplace a few years ago. I love curling in front of it with a good book. Just have to balance out the time spent reading with some extra exercise!

Sasha- I love the snow, but hate driving on bad roads. Glad you were safe. I also get a little down during holidays when I don't get to have all three of my children home. I know they are where they need to be, but wish we could be together more. Long chats on the phone and plans for getting together soon help. I also clean or go for a long walk when I need to shake up my mood.

Today is the start of a new phase in my journey. I am starting interval training and protein chunking. Both suggested by my doctor as a great way to burn the last of the extra fat and to tone up. I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone have ideas for increasing protein? I use eggbeaters, lowfat cheese, beans, cottage cheese, and some ground turkey. I really don't like meat any more. I can do protein shakes, but would rather get my nutrition from real food.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Deb A
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good Friday morning all, it looks like almost everyone had a stress free Christmas. Cute pics and snowy ones too. I had the grandchildren in for Christmas. It is funny the 3 years ago the card from my stepdaughter said, Dad and Laura, last year the same and this year it's Dad and Mom. Wow, little kids can wear you out. I only got kids when they were teenagers so little ones kind of freak me out. All the leaking fluids,:noway: , but they are good kids. The cats finally got used to them just before they left and next year we go to them. I taught my oldest grandson to cross stitch and we made a bookmark for his mother. Yes, I did most of it, but he did do some. He father really didn't like it, but the boy likes to learn new things and he has been so interested in what I was making ever since he was really small. He is seven now.

Of course, I ate to much the last couple of days, but it is back on track. The pool doesn't open back up until the 2nd but I plan on being there when it does. Everyone have a great day. Tigress
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Aww DeeDee, I hope you figure out the exact formula for losing.

Excermom - I think think your "Excermom" describes you perfectly. You seem to exercise more than anyone on here (except maybe Barbie and Laura). You must have a rock solid body.

Well yesterday I was horrible. I ate almost 1200 calories for breakfast!! So I thought I'd go for a long walk and burn it off. I headed for the store and realized my foot was killing me - so that put an end to that. I walked to the store and back but no farther. And while there I bought candy for the "kids." I proceeded to eat 10 mini Reeses peanut butter cups - I might have eaten 12 and only logged 10. So now I'm feeling guilty about the HUGE breakfast and the candy pigout, and the possibility that I may have logged wrong.

Well, the scale hasn't seen it yet because I was down another 1.2 pounds!! Yayyy. My ticker says I've lost 27 pounds now but in actuality it is 26.6. I'll have to work harder this week to see it move again next week. I like seeing it move toward the end though. 12.4 pounds to go. Surprisingly I am getting less happy with the way I look. I'm getting all soft. Some serious toning has to start now. Michele you can be my coach!! It's just hard with two young kids and 8 horses and a full time job to find an actual 20 minutes for a workout that isn't at 9:00 at night.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Karen
    Welcome to the chattiest people on line. Great info here

Michele
    Might as well take advantage of the contest. You do it anyhow.
    I'm making chinese for New years and i'll be using turkey hope he didn't scratch to hard.

Liz
    Glad you enjoyed the pool. Sounds like an interesting DVD

Jb
    Like the way you describe cookies. Guess it's something we must stay away from. Lots of exercise.

Lila
    Glad to see you had a great Christmas. Feb. is just around the corner. Vitamin F is thick here. Hope we don't overdose. lol

Katla
    Great time for shopping. I want to go to city after new years check thing out.

Jane
    So Christams was great. For many of us this year. Just be thankful your not amoungs the sick.
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It feels like a long time since I posted, but it's actually only been a week or so. I was about to sit down and write about how I "failed" with my holiday eating, but I'm rethinking that! This has to be a lifestyle change and NOT just another diet. That means that there will be holidays and times of falling off the eating wagon, but the victory has to be in getting right back on and eating in a healthy manner again when it's over instead of continuing along the "bad" path until all progress has been lost.

I'm back to logging again this morning. I know that it's harder the first few days back on (we have to lose those sugar demons again), but I am back and pleased with myself for being here. This really is a victory over previous years. Although I did overdo the sugar and gained a bit, I ate so much better than I have many other years that I can't beat myself up too badly.

This was my first Christmas without my daughter, which was rough, but I did have my son and my parents here.

Hubby has been out in the garage cussing this morning. We seem to have a rat or something which has taken up residence out there. It chewed through the wires on his car last week, and sure enough, it did it again today! His car wouldn't start again and he was trying to rig something up to get it going, putting out rat poison, and generally being in a bad mood. Maybe I won't find it quite as amusing when I try to leave later today if my car won't start, either.... a rat wouldn't chew on my cars, too, would it???