Anyone at goal or has lost not doing low carb?

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    im 25 pounds away from my goal, and I LOVE CARBS!!! i do low calorie with 2 "free" days per month. i lose a constant one and a half pounds per week... i do not limit my carbs, i like them way too much!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes, most people have succeeded without doing low carb. Another question to ask might be "how many who have lost weight on a low-carb diet have gained all their weight back?"
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of carbs. I LOVE them. Typical carb-filled things I enjoy are mashed potatoes, pasta multiple times per week, I usually eat a sandwich every day, plus randomly I'll consume junk like pizza, candy, ice cream, etc.

I limit the amounts, but I certainly do not cut carbs. Of course it's possible to lose weight without going super low-carb.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 150 - 220g carbs a day - my calorie deficit has allowed me to lose weight.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think for some people just eating well balanced meals (portion control) works well for weight loss. While for others, limiting calories may do the trick. But for folks like me, limiting carbs works better..... I have tried various methods to figure out which works better.. calorie counting, balanced meal (portion control), etc.. Calorie counting (food journal) and portion control (weight watchers) worked quite well when I was in my 20's or early 30s. But, now, (late 30s), nothing to seems to work like low-carb. For me, low-carb means, the carb sources are limited to vegetables and some diary with a total carb gms = 50gms. I haven't reached my goal weight yet (in the process and 20lbs to go). Once I get to my goal weight, I will have to slowly and cautiously introduce some amount of complex carbs into my diet (I love quinoa, oatmeal, brown rice).

Exercice has always been a part of my daily routine... I workout 5 to 6 times a week doing both cardio and strength training... Somehow, diet is the key. For me, diet is 90% and exercise is 10% for weight loss and maint.

In summary, what works for one might not work for others. You need to figure out what works for you and your body...
    Cheers!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Lost over 40 pounds....a calorie deficit through exercise and eating good foods (be they high carb or not) will get you there! Do what you think you will be able to over the long haul. Get out of the mindset of a diet for a short period of time and make changes that you can live with for many, many years to come. You'll need to if you intend to keep the weight off.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    depends on what you call low carb?
    I do not consider 163 carbs low, but I do track my carbs. I did not track them until 2 weeks ago. I hit a 10 month plateau with some weight gain so i started tracking carbs. I've come off the plateau and I'm losing again. If I were you, I would track my carbs. I dont think you HAVE to do low carb to lose weight. I'm set at 55% carbohydrate. good luck
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I did low carb about 10 years ago when it was all the rage. Lost a bunch of weight. Gained it all back. After that, instead of cutting out any food types, I just ate less and moved my body more. Burn more calories than you eat. Doing that I lost 70 pounds that I kept off for 5 years. Regained 17 over the last 2 years from not paying attention to portion size and went back to what I know works. I've now lost that 17 and 1 more (want to lose 20 all together which I will do). Low carb? Nope. I eat carbs. I just eat less of those and of everything else.
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    If you're eating the RIGHT kind of carbs, there's no problem with them! People get all freaked out thinking "low carb" means they have to eat nothing but meat and eggs 4/ever and that's not the case.

Now there ARE some people [like myself] who need to go lower carb for medical reasons, but usually that just means cutting out the white flour and white sugar - and there's definitely nothing wrong with doing that. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Checking in!

I limit my carbs because of thyroid disease, but by NO MEANS do I do low-carb. By 'limit' I mean that I don't eat a bagel with every meal. :)

I also disagree with this "right kind of carbs" bullchit. Nutrition is more complicated than "right" or "wrong" carbs. Any kind of carbs can be the right kind of carbs depending on the situation. Tell me how I should be eating high-fiber carbs and avoiding sugar before/during a half marathon. I dare you.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Sure, my macro's are 30% protein, 40% carb and 30% fat...not exactly "low carb", and I reached goal after a few years just losing weight slowly. I'll do the same with this holiday bloat.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 150 - 220g carbs a day - my calorie deficit has allowed me to lose weight.
    This!

Low carb dieting is a thing of the past.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    No low carbs here! I do 40-30-30 and have lost 30 lbs so far.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    I lost 83 lbs and cut my BF down to 8% on a diet very high in carbs.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I found out that I had insulin resistance eight months ago and was put on a low cab diet. I eat a 15 carb to 7 protein ratio and I love it. The change has really taught me how to portion control and eat better foods.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat 40-50% carbs and I've lost almost 20 pounds in a month and a half. I also work out like crazy though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I get about 50% of my calories from carbs, which is around 250-300g a day. Still have bread, bagels, pizza, potatoes, pasta and rice regularly.... all the "bad" carbs. Never hurt my progress and I've been maintaining for a year and a half.
  • annicins
    Options
    The food you are planning seems very healthy. I do not pay attention to carbs and have lost 25 lbs so far. As long as you pay attention to calories you should be fine. If you notice that you are hitting a plateau down the road, then worry about it then.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I definitely do not do low carb, and I seem to be doing fine. The best plan is the one you can stick to.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Ten years ago I lost 60 lbs doing modified low-carb (Carbohydrate Addict's Diet), then gained it almost all back.

These days I'm staying away from most processed foods and relying much more on fresh produce. That has cut my cravings at least as much as the low-carb diet did.

I'm listening to my body these days. Colder weather has increased my carb intake, but I still come out under my calorie goal. (I've set my calorie goal for a half-pound loss per week, but I rarely need to eat that much. I've been averaging a shade over a one-pound loss per week.)