Don't get too fit or you can be fired!

Options

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    People keep focusing on her dress, but that was one snippet of the article. His own attorney stated that the plaintiff didn't do anything wrong. I didn't read anywhere that she refused to change how she dressed. I also didn't read evidence beyond his erection that her clothes were actually inappropriate (and really, many women have curves, it can be impossible to wear something that conceals their shape completely, and why should we have to? People don't expect men with nice broad shoulders to have to wear something that conceals their shape. Of course there is a line, but women with larger breasts would have to wear a potato sack to completely conceal the fact that they exist and prevent people from noticing them. And again, why should they have to? I take care to dress conservatively at work and am still unable to prevent human nature.)

However, since employers can pretty much let anyone go for any reason in many states, I'm not surprised. However, if I were a female employee in that office, I'd quit ASAP. I don't want the wife and the pastor calling the shots on my job, and really, it's pretty difficult to be impartial when you are the boss and your spouse is an employee. (Many professions have ethical codes about not being your friend or loved one's supervisor for this reason.)

It's quite probable that the wife is a co-owner of the practice.
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    Yeah. I fired my assistant because she looked just like this other woman that i HATE and I was afraid that I would punch her lights out. Lol. (JK)
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If she had a right to wear it, then he had a right to fire her. Isn't that what democracy is all about? Didn't we fight for equal rights?

Exactly.

She was asked to wear less provocative clothing. She didn't, that's a fact that both sides agreed on.

*shrugs* The dentist showed restraint and self control in that he chose to fire his assistant rather than attempt to get in her pants. I commend the man. He understood what his weakness is and avoided it, just like I don't keep ice cream in my freezer any longer, lol!

And yes, psfr, you can fire someone for having a different religion or belief than you do. About 10 years ago a Muslim boss successfully fired his employee for repeatedly eating BLT sandwiches at her desk. Pork is against their religion, and they asked her to stop and she didn't.

It's called a democracy. It's called capitalism and freedom to believe what you want. Private business owners have a different set of rules than government workers.

Really?? So a democracy means I'm not allowed to eat whatever I want because someone else doesn't eat it for whatever reason and that is enough grounds on which to fire me? Also, the article didn't describe her clothing at all, but very clearly mentioned that her employer said "if there is a bulge in my pants, that is a sign your clothing is too revealing". For all we know, she could have been wearing a potato sack. Sure certain outfits can "inspire" more than others, but plenty of times for plenty of reasons guys are struck by urges and attire doesn't matter.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options

*shrugs* The dentist showed restraint and self control in that he chose to fire his assistant rather than attempt to get in her pants. I commend the man. He understood what his weakness is and avoided it, just like I don't keep ice cream in my freezer any longer, lol!

A person doesn't get commended for that. It's expected that someone won't sexually assault someone just because they've got a boner. That's called being a regular, respectful human being.

You don't get a cookie for that.

You rock so hard.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    WOW.smh
  • barkervision
    barkervision Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    But he had self control. Enough to do the right thing and remove himself from a temptation even in the face of adversity.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    I don't get it. She's not that hot.

THIS
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    But he had self control. Enough to do the right thing and remove himself from a temptation even in the face of adversity.

He did not "remove himself from a temptation." He removed her from his temptation. It would have been commendable if he had quit. Instead, he ruined her career because he couldn't keep his penis in his pants.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    He did not "remove himself from a temptation." He removed her from his temptation. It would have been commendable if he had quit. Instead, he ruined her career because he couldn't keep his penis in his pants.

It is pretty clear the guy is a douche but "ruined her career" is a bit of a stretch. She is a dental assistant.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    whoops
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wearing too tight clothing and overly revealing stuff in some work environments is unprofessional. sounds like this was one such environment.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

It is pretty clear the guy is a douche but "ruined her career" is a bit of a stretch. She is a dental assistant.

This kind of thing will follow her around and may make it difficult for her to get employment again.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options

A person doesn't get commended for that. It's expected that someone won't sexually assault someone just because they've got a boner. That's called being a regular, respectful human being.

You don't get a cookie for that.

This. A million damn times this.
  • bananapancakebella
    Options

And yes. It does affect the legality of the termination. Because you can't just fire someone because you want to *kitten* them. End of story.

Actually, you can. It's called at-will employment. You can be fired for any reason (or for no reason) at any time. There was no gender discrimination here, and the boss was within his legal rights to fire an employee he didn't like or even liked too much. She was not fired solely because of her gender, she was fired for her boss' personal tastes. Totally legally legit. You may not like it, but dems the breaks.
  • mbojan2
    mbojan2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    She should have sued for sexual harassment.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Those Supreme Court Justices should be impeached, convicted, and removed from office...

I have seen some ridiculous court decisions and that one is the worst...

This court decision could be used to justify rape and sexual harassment... I say this because some Supreme Court decisions can have very broad implications... That is some sick rapist or sexual harasser could say that he had done an act of rape or sexual harassment because he found a woman to be irresistible...
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Haven't read through all of the posts, but this is just ridiculous.

There is no way someone who by the sounds of it is a conscientious worker should be fired because of a wife's insecurities and lack of trust in her partner, and his inability to guarantee he could keep it in his pants!! They had worked together for 10 years and the poor lady who lost her job hadn't had an affair with him, why would she now.

Utterly ridiculous, outdated and chauvinistic decision by the court. Unless there was a specific breach of specified clothing policy then there shouldnt be a leg to stand on. If she had been fired for being unattractive as a barmaid or whatever then quite rightly there would have been uproar.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you read the story carefully you'll see that the dentist asked his assistant not to wear such revealing clothing and she wouldn't dress in a less provocative manner.

So yeah. Fire the assistant, save your marriage. It's as easy as that.

If the woman had any common sense she could have dressed more conservatively and still been attractive, and then looked for another job. Just because you have 'it' doesn't mean that a professional office is where you should flaunt it, even if you have been working there for 10 years.

So, his employee is responsible for the state of his marriage, and for managing his libido?

Poor little blokey can't control his urges....?

His comment about her clothing and his erections constitutes sexual harassment, incidentally.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Those Supreme Court Justices should be impeached, convicted, and removed from office...

I have seen some ridiculous court decisions and that one is the worst...

This court decision could be used to justify rape and sexual harassment... I say this because some Supreme Court decisions can have very broad implications... That is some sick rapist or sexual harasser could say that he had done an act of rape or sexual harassment because he found a woman to be irresistible...

Precisely.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    So, his employee is responsible for the state of his marriage, and for managing his libido?

Poor little blokey can't control his urges....?

His comment about her clothing and his erections constitutes sexual harassment, incidentally.

This exactly
This discussion has been closed.