So when do you say goodbye to MFP?

Options

Replies

• JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If it's working, don't stop. :)

It only takes me around 5-10 minutes a day to use MFP.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    If it's working, don't stop. :)

It only takes me around 5-10 minutes a day to use MFP.

Tell me your secret, because I'm on it almost all freakin' day. No joke.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't see myself saying goodbye. I am in it for a lifetime of health, not just to reach a goal weight. I also love watching my friends succeed in their health and fitness goals- it makes me happy :)
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously some way off at the moment but I plan on easing my way into maintenance whilst logging, logging for a few months after maintenance and then stopping. I will continue to weigh in weekly and as soon as I reach 5lbs +/- goal then I will start logging again until im back to goal. I'm thinking of keeping MFP more as training wheels when im at goal
  • ameskimous
    ameskimous Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The answer is never. The reason we become overweight in the first place is that our food-driven sedentary culture goes against maintaining a healthy diet. We are going against the culture, and that takes teamwork and constant surveillance. Also, for many of us, going on maintenance means allowing only two or three hundred more calories per day. If you begin guessing all your portions, it is very easy to "eat up" those few hundred calories and begin to gain weight.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't say goodbye. I continue to stay here and make it a part of my life.
  • Janabee57
    Options
    I try several days at a time because you need to know if you can keep on track when you can not track all of your foods so I give it a try and if I do not gain then I think I am really :smile: on the right track.
  • monkeyriley
    monkeyriley Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I am at maintenance and I just naturally dropped off logging my food all the time.

Being in maintenance mode has shown that I sometimes go weeks without logging things, but will start logging to do a quick tune up here or there.

I do know that after the holidays, I did eat a lot (I was a little lower, weight-wise, from where I want to be) and am in the process of regulating a little bit. I also have a marathon that I am going to be training for so making sure that I am getting enough calories is important.

My view is that MFP is a tool in the toolbox, the scale is another along with trusting how my clothes fit, and continuing to work out. If the number on the scale moves down too far or up too far it is time to figure out what I am doing wrong and correct it. Just as if my clothes get tighter, or I am not working out, I need to investigate what is happening and get back on track.

I think everyone here who has been successful in losing weight and getting healthy has a fear of what happens now that the weight is off. I know that I don't want to go back to being 236 lbs. after enjoying the fruits of being 166 lbs.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I am half-trying to ween myself off of logging but I do like the forums - reading what everyone has to say and the silly banter as well. I've grown pretty fond of some people here and like staying in touch. As far as logging.. my "goal" is to be confident enough to kick that by this summer. I'll still log once a week or so to see how I'm doing. My log lately is pretty scarce just because I'm seeing what I can do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that this may be a forever thing for me. I'm hoping it's not going to be too much of an issue going forward...I'm going to be hitting the gym here pretty hard and eventually, when I've shed the fat suit, I'm hoping to gain. Obviously I'm hoping to gain lean muscle mass only. I have to say...the idea of eating at a surplus again freaks me out a bit...I'm only about 13 pounds from my goal weight and then I figure I'll eat at maintenance for awhile...then slowly increase to gain muscle...very weird concept to me right now since I'm eating at a deficit for the first time in my life.
  • nwachim
    nwachim Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I will say goodbye when I reach my goal. I lost alot of weight before MFP and I use MFP to log workouts, but not really for food. The friendships are nice too, but all good things must come to an end. I don't think anyone should feel they have to stay on MFP for life just to keep off weight. We should take the tools that we learn and continue to apply them after we reach our goal. Everyone is different though and has to do what's best for them. I believe for me to stay on MFP after I reach my goal will be more of a distraction than anything else.

i agree
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I have no desire to leave this site. It's really helped me focus on what i consume food-wise on a daily basis, and also as a motivator seeing how great the people on here look from busting their tails day in and day out.
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    MFP should have a slogan - "Come to lose the weight - stay to keep it off."

I'll use it as long as it's free and convenient in helping me track my daily calories and exercise. It's completely possible to do that on your own, but why go through that hassle when you have a tool like this?

I completely agree!
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I do not plan to stop using MFP because I view it as a technology tool that makes it easier be healthy. I view it analagous to technolgy like the TV remote. I mean would we want to go back to turning knobs? Also, while I have learned a lot in the 8 months so far of using MFP I do not believe it is possible to mentally track within 28 calories a day. Why 28 calories a day? Only 28 calories a day off can cause a 3 lb a year increase. This is what I was at and ended up almost 100 lbs over a healthy weight after 30 years. So I plan on continuing to use MFP technology to be healthy.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping with MFP, too. Part of the reason I gained weight was because I didn't realize I was consuming as many calories as I was. It's handy to have for future reference, too.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Never. When I get to maintenance I'll plan on logging maybe once a week to keep track instead of every day.
  • bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    This goes for me as well!
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've still got a long way to go but some of my biggest motivators on here are friends who have stayed after reaching their goals. I want to be able to give that same support to others so...NEVER (or until they start charging to use it).
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I've wondered this too.. but honestly I'll probably never delete my account... or at least for a very long time. I like it a lot. It helps keep me accountable and I enjoy the social interaction :-)
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    research says if you are held accountable you will have greater lasting success... even if you only log your weight once a week youshould keep using

I like the idea of continuing to log your weight every week... personally I find calorie counting tedious and a little obsessive, as soon as I'm confident I've changed my habits I'd like to think I could leave it behind. However, continuing to log your weight keeps you accountable and able to make a change before you put on all the lbs again!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!