what do you call these people?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You should go to a gym in Japan. Everyone's color coordinated, nobody sweats, and everyone has on a weight belt, even the guy on the elliptical.

*scribbles on bucket list* Go to Japanese gym!
    I would like to see that. I see some random things at the Y that makes me wonder about gym etiquette in other countries. One lady that does a lot of arm twirling motions while walking the track, some Asian ladies that do a lot A LOT of vigorous scrubbing on themselves AND each other in the showers, and it looked like one lady was giving another a perm! What? Oh and imagine my surprise when one came up behind me when I was getting dressed and she fastened my bra. Thanks, but I dress myself all the time.

Believe it or not, the gyms in Japan aren't like what you are thinking. They are just really polite people on a whole. I hope one day you can go experience it because it is pretty interesting. Wish I could go back and live there again :)

Sorry to disagree. I got a kick out of the gyms and the people in them. The gyms were places to see and be seen, unless you went to one of the outlying places that foreigners generally aren't allowed. My husband went to a boxing gym once in a while, and he enjoyed that. But the places like Total Workout, Esforta, and the Golds in Omote Sando and Ginza were complete jokes.

I probably was in the one that foreigners weren't generally allowed then...because I never saw what you were talking about...I mean I saw some with the gym suits..but I've seen Americans there and here that do that too.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Some people (like me) have bad backs, arthritis, heart problems, etc.

I don't think he is talking about you (or me for that matter. I have a fairly serious medical limitation, so I understand that).

People who are clearly there to better themselves are, well, clearly there to better themselves. We don't come in looking like we're going on a date.

People with perfect ponytails, perfect tans, perfect makeup, chewing gum and doing one set of something before heading off to the treadmill to talk to the person next to them about how doing skull crushers will firm up flabby man-boobs are the people he's talking about. These people are easy to spot. They're generally young, rarely over 27, and they usually travel in packs.

Personally, I like that they pay their gym dues so that the rest of us who are there to better ourselves can workout without it being cost prohibitive.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I don't think he is talking about you (or me for that matter. I have a fairly serious medical limitation, so I understand that).

People who are clearly there to better themselves are, well, clearly there to better themselves. We don't come in looking like we're going on a date.

People with perfect ponytails, perfect tans, perfect makeup, chewing gum and doing one set of something before heading off to the treadmill to talk to the person next to them about how doing skull crushers will firm up flabby man-boobs are the people he's talking about. These people are easy to spot. They're generally young, rarely over 27, and they usually travel in packs.

Personally, I like that they pay their gym dues so that the rest of us who are there to better ourselves can workout without it being cost prohibitive.

Who wears makeup to the gym? LMAO. Unless you are just getting off work of course - than I'd understand.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Who wears makeup to the gym? LMAO. Unless you are just getting off work of course - than I'd understand.

The woman on the elliptical next to me two days ago who had this exact conversation with the guy she was with. Full face with glitter on her shoulders. It was 10 am on a Friday. Admittedly, there are some very hot guys in my gym, so she was probably creeping.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that kind of money to waste on doing nothing......
  • oliviamariex
    Options
    At least they are making an effort to better themselves. Would you rather them not even come? It's not your job to judge the people around you at the gym... I always thought people went to the gym to work out, not look at other people and judge the way they work out.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I call them none of your damm business! LOL. They pay membership fees, probably never signed a contract that said "Go hard or go home".

But yeah, I would call them people with F*ckarounditis, like Dope posted.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/f*ckarounditis.html

(replace the * with a u)

I just am thankful they keep my membership fees lower without banging up the equipment.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    At least they are making an effort to better themselves. Would you rather them not even come? It's not your job to judge the people around you at the gym... I always thought people went to the gym to work out, not look at other people and judge the way they work out.

I don't know if going to the gym at 10am with full make up and body glitter is really bettering yourself. In that case, no, I think they shouldn't go.

If there is someone there who really does want to workout but is shy/nervous, I understand their apprehension and I think it would be nice if a more experienced gym goer helps them.

But I believe the OP isn't talking about new people. He's talking about the ones that show up now and again and use the gym as a social gathering rather than a place to work out.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Who decides how many reps or sets is an appropriate level of effort? It's certainly not anyone else's business. I'm personally glad when people only do a quick set or two. They get in, get it done, then move the hell out of MY way. I probably would annoy you because I'm one of the ones just "wasting time" at the gym. I only run a couple of miles then do a single set at moderate weight followed by a very short set at as heavy a weight as I can manage. I don't take long before I move on to the next machine and out of YOUR way. I guess that's considered a waste of time...but hey, it's my time to waste, you know? What I hate is the guys that camp out on a single machine for 20 minutes at a time. Now that's annoying! :explode:
  • tishka11
    Options
    I applaud your post on the basis that you used the word "pernicious" if absolutely nothing else.

I agree...that word alone grants to the right to say whatever u want to them!!! :D
  • Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym all the time. After reading through this thread I'm now just going to bring doughnuts and coffee, sit at a desk and watch all you work out, just to piss you off. :laugh:
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Who decides how many reps or sets is an appropriate level of effort? It's certainly not anyone else's business. I'm personally glad when people only do a quick set or two. They get in, get it done, then move the hell out of MY way. I probably would annoy you because I'm one of the ones just "wasting time" at the gym. I only run a couple of miles then do a single set at moderate weight followed by a very short set at as heavy a weight as I can manage. I don't take long before I move on to the next machine and out of YOUR way. I guess that's considered a waste of time...but hey, it's my time to waste, you know? What I hate is the guys that camp out on a single machine for 20 minutes at a time. Now that's annoying! :explode:

I agree. That is annoying. And pernicious. :grumble:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for them that they even bother coming in.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym all the time. After reading through this thread I'm now just going to bring doughnuts and coffee, sit at a desk and watch all you work out, just to piss you off. :laugh:

I like this. But sit on the leg press rack while you do it. :drinker:
  • Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I like this. But sit on the leg press rack while you do it. :drinker:

YES!!!!!!!!!:smokin:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    as long as there is an elliptical open for me at 7:22am when i walk in, thats all that matters to me!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't break a sweat, but I swear I work hard :flowerforyou:
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I really don't look around the gym... I don't see why you'd care.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I don't know, I really don't look around the gym... I don't see why you'd care.

Maybe he's a people watcher. I know I do that sometimes.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Meat.

but I have what Dexter has.