Views on Whole Food Plant based diet?

Options

Replies

• abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've already mentioned on previous posts somewhere on a different thread that Spirulina contains vitamin B12. I get all my proteins, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes etc.. from nothing but fruits, vegetables, nuts, algae, grains, beans, legumes, roots and herbs. And as far as I know I have no deficiencies. I used to be brainwashed by doctors into believing that vegans are degicient in b12 and that avocado can make you fat blablabla. Yes I used to believe the same bs but I don't now and I feel better than ever. If you feel healthy eating eggs full of cholesterol well then that's great, more power to you. That junk doesn't work for me or my family and we feel great. Ok I'm done talking to a wall. Happy new years everyone.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Again, this thread is about a WHOLE FOOD plant based diet. Spirulina is a highly processed supplement. It does not belong in a discussion on whole foods.

As for cholesterol, your body makes 99% of it. Cholesterol from food has no effect on high cholesterol, as high cholesterol is a genetic condition where the body produces too much cholesterol. Besides, plants contain cholesterol. Cholesterol is a requirement for cell walls. If plants didn't have cholesterol, then they wouldn't exist.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Again, this thread is about a WHOLE FOOD plant based diet. Spirulina is a highly processed supplement. It does not belong in a discussion on whole foods.

As for cholesterol, your body makes 99% of it. Cholesterol from food has no effect on high cholesterol, as high cholesterol is a genetic condition where the body produces too much cholesterol. Besides, plants contain cholesterol. Cholesterol is a requirement for cell walls. If plants didn't have cholesterol, then they wouldn't exist.

Spirulina is an algae. It's nutrients are microscopic and not damaged during processing. The process is just drying it up with the sun like it happens in nature at times and pressing the paste into tablet form. I think an algae belongs in a plant based topic, not those stinky fart causing eggs.
  • spisea
    spisea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The only real quality protein is from animal sources… some merit, of course, but we need animal sourced protein. Most Americans can do with less. I am just partway through the film… but I will remark more throughout probably..

That's opinion, not fact. Plenty of plant food have quality protein. Nuts, beans. Soy is high in quality protein.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Spirulina is an algae. It's nutrients are microscopic and not damaged during processing. The process is just drying it up with the sun like it happens in nature at times and pressing the paste into tablet form. I think an algae belongs in a plant based topic, not those stinky fart causing eggs.
    Except for the chemicals they pump into it, like the nitrates that manufacturers refused to give up after they were deemed non-organic. Instead, spirulina stopped being organic. Oh, and by the way, spirulina does NOT have B12 in it, it has pseudovitamin B12, which humans can't utilize. That's another little thing that spirulina manufacturers forget to mention when they trumpet their manufactured product. Spirulina also has plenty of saturated fat in it, too.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17959839

But hey, keep telling yourself whatever untruths you need to in order to sleep at night, ok?
  • spisea
    Options
    I've already mentioned on previous posts somewhere on a different thread that Spirulina contains vitamin B12. I get all my proteins, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes etc.. from nothing but fruits, vegetables, nuts, algae, grains, beans, legumes, roots and herbs. And as far as I know I have no deficiencies. I used to be brainwashed by doctors into believing that vegans are degicient in b12 and that avocado can make you fat blablabla. Yes I used to believe the same bs but I don't now and I feel better than ever. If you feel healthy eating eggs full of cholesterol well then that's great, more power to you. That junk doesn't work for me or my family and we feel great. Ok I'm done talking to a wall. Happy new years everyone.

It sounds like you have a great diet. But you should be aware that algae doesn't have all the b-12 human beings need. The only food source that I know of is nutritional yeast. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. Its super yummy over hot veggies or made into a creamy sauce! There is a new mushroom being sold that has been bread to be b-12 dense but I haven't seen them in stores yet. I also take a b-12 vitamin from time to time because the first time I went vegan, I because b-12 deficient and got sick. I don't want to repeat that, so I'm careful. It can take years for a healthy person to deplete their b-12 stores, but once you do, trust me, you'll feel like doggy do.
  • spisea
    Options
    It works as far as weight loss goes, but it does require some heavy supplementation as there ARE key nutrients you aren't getting if you limit yourself exclusively to plant based foods. The biggest of which is Vitamin B12, sourced only from animals. It is important for neurological function and deficiencies of it have been known to lead to dementia/alzheimers later on in life. We as human beings were not meant to be exclusively plant OR animal eaters but both. And people who are cutting entire food groups out of their diet should be prepared to fork over money for supplements.

Also, Forks Over Knives was proven to have been based on a flawed study that has since been thrown out/disregarded.

I'm afraid you are the one spouting old and mis-proven information. Nutritional yeast is a food (a whole food) which contains lots of b-12. One tablespoon a day can complete your requirements. Also, the only people claiming that the studies in FOK are bunk are from the westonprice foundation. They are, shall we say, not reputable in the scientific community.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

Except for the chemicals they pump into it, like the nitrates that manufacturers refused to give up after they were deemed non-organic. Instead, spirulina stopped being organic. Oh, and by the way, spirulina does NOT have B12 in it, it has pseudovitamin B12, which humans can't utilize. That's another little thing that spirulina manufacturers forget to mention when they trumpet their manufactured product. Spirulina also has plenty of saturated fat in it, too.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17959839

But hey, keep telling yourself whatever untruths you need to in order to sleep at night, ok?

Spirulina is a natural occurring algae. I buy mine from Nature's Sunshine products and chemicals have never been found from their soyrces. Its a company that has been around since the 70's. But anyways good lucj on reaching your goals. I hope those eggs and steaks speed up the process for you :) Happy New Year.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

It sounds like you have a great diet. But you should be aware that algae doesn't have all the b-12 human beings need. The only food source that I know of is nutritional yeast. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. Its super yummy over hot veggies or made into a creamy sauce! There is a new mushroom being sold that has been bread to be b-12 dense but I haven't seen them in stores yet. I also take a b-12 vitamin from time to time because the first time I went vegan, I because b-12 deficient and got sick. I don't want to repeat that, so I'm careful. It can take years for a healthy person to deplete their b-12 stores, but once you do, trust me, you'll feel like doggy do.

Wheatgrass is a good source of b12 if you don't trust Spirulina. I take 2 ounces a day. Let me guess, the carnivores are going to look into what the dairy industry has to say about wheatgrass and come back with a vitamin b12 in wheatgrass attack.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Wheatgrass is a good source of b12 if you don't trust Spirulina. I take 2 ounces a day. Let me guess, the carnivores are going to look into what the dairy industry has to say about wheatgrass and come back with a vitamin b12 in wheatgrass attack.
    Carnivores? You mean lions and tigers that kind of thing? If you like wheatgrass, great, but again telling everyone it has b12 isn't doing anyone any good, especially you. Wheatgrass doesn't really offer much more than most vegetables.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Please stop using tired and inaccurate cliches. My feline companion is an obligate carnivore, she needs nutrients in whole animals (muscle meat, organs, bone, fat) to survive but does not require any dairy or eggs. A cow is a herbivore, it can digest grass.

I am an omnivore, I do not need bone nor the muscle meat of land animals for health, I do need animal products of some description or to use SUPPLEMENTS like yeast or extracts of inedible greens to avoid deficiencies, I cannot digest grass leaves. There is no way of getting enough of these supplements without food scientists getting involved, they are not foods you can gather, hunt or grow in your back yard and eat whole. Wheatgrass is not food in any real sense of the word - extracting the nutrients involves electricity and modern gadgetry.

BTW plenty of MFPers have background in the biological sciences, we are thus reasonably well equipped to distinguish between dietetic science and food industry/ alternative medicine propaganda. Some of us have witnessed animal rights activists demonstrating at the WRONG laboratories because they understand nothing about the most basic of research techniques (animal house v cell lines).
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    There is NO PLANT that tastes like steak or BACON.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Whahaha! You really are my hero!:drinker: I love meat.....
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

Please stop using tired and inaccurate cliches. My feline companion is an obligate carnivore, she needs nutrients in whole animals (muscle meat, organs, bone, fat) to survive but does not require any dairy or eggs. A cow is a herbivore, it can digest grass.

I am an omnivore, I do not need bone nor the muscle meat of land animals for health, I do need animal products of some description or to use SUPPLEMENTS like yeast or extracts of inedible greens to avoid deficiencies, I cannot digest grass leaves. There is no way of getting enough of these supplements without food scientists getting involved, they are not foods you can gather, hunt or grow in your back yard and eat whole. Wheatgrass is not food in any real sense of the word - extracting the nutrients involves electricity and modern gadgetry.

BTW plenty of MFPers have background in the biological sciences, we are thus reasonably well equipped to distinguish between dietetic science and food industry/ alternative medicine propaganda. Some of us have witnessed animal rights activists demonstrating at the WRONG laboratories because they understand nothing about the most basic of research techniques (animal house v cell lines).

Yes your feline is a carnivore. You can call alternative medicine "propaganda" all you want but it works for me and drugs don't cure anyone + they have a ****load of side effects. I prefer to emulate the habits of people that have lived up to 116 years of age. Anyways take a chill pill or something I understand that maybe your diet or something is affecting your mood i dont know but this is a freaking message board lol. Seriously.

"Let food be thy medicine" - Hippocrates
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Yes your feline is a carnivore. You can call alternative medicine "propaganda" all you want but it works for me and drugs don't cure anyone + they have a ****load of side effects. I prefer to emulate the habits of people that have lived up to 116 years of age. Anyways take a chill pill or something I understand that maybe your diet or something is affecting your mood i dont know but this is a freaking message board lol. Seriously.

"Let food be thy medicine" - Hippocrates
    What you fail to realize for some reason, it's not that anyone is against alternative medicine per se, it's just that what you've posted as truths from the get go are mostly misinformation. Get that part right and you would be taken more seriously. Personally I don't understand when someone says they've researched nutrition as much as you say you have and not have come across the right information or in the least, conflicting information that would make someone pause. For example, your choices of omega 3's, and b12 vitamins, even vegetarians in these forums have tried to correct you, without success I might add. Superior attitudes are not uncommon with a raw vegan diet, thinking they have the secret to long life, I find that hardliners of paleo are quite similar in their attitude. Sometimes people confuse enthusiasm with the facts, and because fact are unbiased, they tend to make the obvious, more so. I know I've wasted my breath, if your basic correspondence in these nutritional forums are any indication, but say la vie.
  • mlkuper
    mlkuper Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm in. Read "How to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease." Also buy a Nutribullet - low cost and easy way to add veggies to your daily servings. It's the poor man's Vitamix. I start my day with one and it's made a world of difference.

I'm new to My Fitness Pal - looking for vegan/vegetarian friends to compare notes with if you're out there.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe in natural and alternative medicine. I have not taken antibiotics for more than half of my life. Quit taking them 18 years ago. I drink a very diluted H2O2 which I make myself along with vitamins. I believe that food is medicine. I believe that exercise is medicine. I believe that scientists and scientific studies are realistic. I also know that many things have not been studied as much as needed to make some medicines credible to the masses. I also know that a lot of health nut BS that is flying in this thread is CONTRARY to scientific studies and conclusions. Some people will say I am nots for drinking peroxide. I had a kidney infection in Nov-Dec… a couple weeks into it, I started my concoction. 2 weeks later, I still had the infection and went to the ER. The doc told me my home made medicine was working and that I did not need to get an antibiotic. That was with a kidney infection. That is a dangerous infection. Yes, I believe in alternative medicine, but not if that medicine contradicts known science.
  • Pollackj
    Pollackj Posts: 1
    Options
    I have just started eating this way as well.....So far 1 week in, and I have lost 3 pounds....and I am not hungry or having any food cravings.....have you had any trouble at any point? I want to be ready for what is ahead......do you have any helpful suggestions?
  • sukatglf
    sukatglf Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm 61 years old and been vegan for a little over a year. Occasionally, I eat fish when I'm at restaurants that don't have a decent vegetarian alternative. The changes in my cholesterol, blood sugar, etc., were nearly instantaneous, and within 6 weeks I was off my statin, and my BP med went from 80 mg to 10 mg/day. I lost 40 pounds and now I plan to lose the rest with myfitnesspal. I wish I had done so a year ago because it's so helpful balancing the protein and fats with the carbs. Getting enough protein can be problematic without animal or dairy. I cheat by using egg whites because they have ~20 grams of protein per 100 calories. Nothing comes close in the plant world except seitan. Seitan is easy to make, simply buy vital wheat gluten, mix with water, knead, tear it off into 2" chunks, and boil for an hour. Squeeze out the excess water, throw in the fridge and you have a fist-sized, 100 calorie, 25 gram protein source. It is highly absorbent so I mix with vegetable when sautéing or marinade and grill. Good luck.
  • dazleeds
    dazleeds Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi All,

I have studied over 50 countries diet. I have done few researches as well about food phytonutrients. I have changed my diet on the way to be like Vegan (I call it plant based food).

Protein myth no one need protein from meat , chicken, fish to live. Human body require very small amount of protein even infant require about 3 gram of protein in mother milk to grow. Veg, beans provide with enough protein ( Almost entire Africa is vegan and you can not challenge me to find protein deficiency in Africa or any osteoporosis) .

Omega 3 (This quite of problem for vegan if they dont get enough from flax seed , walnuts but flax seed is the best , and cut down hugely the intake of omega 6 (corn oil, sunflower oil)). When i was studying diet from Japan , china they used get alot of their Omega 3 from fish which is great source and very healthy if it was clean fish.

B-12 this is the most important vitamins for vegan they must take if they dont eat any fish or chicken once in while.

Unfortunately vegan life span compare to light meat eater is almost the same even the people who eat very small amount of meat or chicken they live longer due the studies the research out there. But this very small amount of meat is like once in week or two.

Vitamin D - is very important some food contain like eggs.

My summery Vegan diet is very healthy and it will increase the life span. But the best diet is to include a good source of fish or organic , or meat once in while not for the protein but for other benefits like b-12 and omega 3, DHA which is you get it directly from fish.

I eat 100% plant based food but once in month we eat some organic fish or organic chicken. The problem is quite hard to find good clean fish. We don't eat any dairy products at all. You will get enough calcium from green vegs.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm just not certain why anyone would want to make a life-altering decision after watching any film, let alone one designed as propaganda by radical animal liberationists who want to destroy animal agriculture. *shrugs* But whatever works for you . . .