Help! Aggressive dog and newborn

Options

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was looking for help, not judgement. I would appreciate sarcastic and rude comments to be left off please. This is not an easy situation for me. I love this dog. His name is Boomer. I raised him, and of course I feel 100% responsible for him. I love him almost as much as a child and I feel that he is "worth" trying just as much as any gentle dog. I recognize that there is something I did wrong to cause this behavior. I accept that. I would be fine with dealing with these issues and working with him until I became pregnant. My daughter has to be my first priority, and I am seeing to that. No, I will not "just shoot him" or put him down. I will find a better outcome for him and for my child.

Settle down already and lighten up.

As an adult you should ALREADY know the serious and obvious answer:

Do not allow the dog around your kids. Which probably means finding it another home.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Geez. That's tough. But, easy.
    This dog has bitten you several times to draw blood, bitten your bf 3 times, tried to attack a 3 year old child, and has attacked your other dogs on numerous occasions.

I don't know where you live but, in Florida and Georgia. A dog gets 1 bite. Then labeled and put down if attacks again.

This is not a question in my opinion. The safety of any child is more important than a dog. (I am a dog lover.) Be sure to tell any rescue groups that he has a history of biting and see what they say.

He is a liability to any group. Please keep him away from the baby next door.

I know it is a hard decision. But, how would you feel if he got out and destroyed a child's life. Could you live with that knowing that he attacks you regularly? I couldn't. It's not like he is just snapping, he has a history of this.

I am so sorry this has happened to you.
  • julieat1960
    julieat1960 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There can be many causes for this type of behaviour and either way even if he has a severe medical condition that is treatable the long and short of it is this, you can't have eyes in the back of your head and the animal can't be trusted how far are you prepared to go and what would you do if he mauled a child,too many people think this is an easy decision but the law is the law and a dangerous dog needs to be sorted before it has to be destroyed and you may even lose your other pets. I think you already know what you need to do but the choice has to be yours alone.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I will say this one more time, I am looking to find him a new home, not keep him. Please stop suggesting I am choosing my dog over my child. I fully intend to have him gone before she is born. End of story. But, despite what any of you think, I care about him and want him to go to a good home. Keeping him is not an option for me.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Why do people immediately say that aggressive dogs need to be put down? Um, no! Dogs don't just get aggressive because they want to, dogs get aggressive because they come to realize they can dominate (Be alpha) over everything because owners don't know what they're doing. Instead of having this dog put down find it a home where the owner can reverse this dog's issues (and yes, it can be done). This dog doesn't see you as his pack leader and that is no good, your dog has no respect for you. I have seen countless aggressive/fearful/reactive dogs have their behavior turned around through a trainer that knows what they're doing. Also, many people mislable "aggressive" dogs when in fact the dog is just fearful, which in turn can become aggressiveness down the line, but your dog definitely sounds like he's reached the aggressive point. My best non-professional advice would be to re-home this dog with someone who for sure knows how to handle dogs with this kind of behavior. If you are wanting to keep this dog though and try and change his attitude I recommend going to Leerburg.com He has excellent advice on training dogs both behaviorally and in obedience.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Please do not put the dog down.. it's not his fault. I don't know where you are located but use this link to obtain the information you need. You can also contact them to find the nearest Basset Hound Rescue to you. I don't mean to sound critical, but you could have prevented any aggression if you had taken the time to do proper training with the dog. You should have taken action at the very first signs of aggression, if that is in fact, what it is. There are many reasons dogs appear aggressive but are not. And yes, I have trained many dogs in my lifetime and guess what.. the dogs behavior is ALWAYS the owners fault. Take the time to learn about the breed, it's needs and training required before making a purchase.

http://www.bassethoundrescue.com/maindefault.htm

"Snapping is a control response. In most cases, you have to look at root cause. Ok - the dog snapped. Was it because I was playing to aggressively? Was I moving the food bowl during feeding? Many times, it is our fault, but we still want to blame the dog because we as humans do not like to be in the wrong. Bottom line is growling, snapping, and biting can all be corrected. The question is are you willing to take the amount of time needed for the correction. Make a good choice. "
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    What would he have to do before you put him down? As you cannot control him yourselves, what makes you think someone else can? And what if the people who take him go on holidays and leave him with someone else who has kids nearby/in the house and he bites and kills someone?

Are you saying that NO DOG should EVER be put down?
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am the biggest dog lover ever. But put one's child or anyone for that matter with an agressive dog is a dangerous situation.

Would it be possible to try letting the dog stay with someone without any other pets for a few days to see if the dog is more comfortable in a non-competition type environment?

For me, putting down a dog, would be the very last option. But with a new baby on the way, I would not feel comfortable with having the dog around.

A couple of years or so ago, here in Kentucky there native american indian dog snatched their infant and took him to the woods. Here is the story for anyone interested.

http://www.examiner.com/article/native-american-indian-dog-takes-baby-from-crib-and-hides-him-woods-video
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    good luck poster. It is never easy as dogs become so much part of the family but you will choose what is right for your baby no matter what the heart ache I am sure
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    What would he have to do before you put him down? As you cannot control him yourselves, what makes you think someone else can? And what if the people who take him go on holidays and leave him with someone else who has kids nearby/in the house and he bites and kills someone?

Are you saying that NO DOG should EVER be put down?

Maybe she should put the dog on anti depressants like that lady who owned the monkey that ripped that other lady's face off.

There were warning signs for that too.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    No, I am not putting him down. End of story. Yes, I am attempting to find him a new home, before I give birth. Again, I am having trouble finding a suitable home. This isn't funny to me, and it is sickening that some of you are assuming I would put my child in danger or that I am neglectful. You think jokes about him mauling my child is funny? You can kindly go **** yourself.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Please do not put the dog down.. it's not his fault. I don't know where you are located but use this link to obtain the information you need. You can also contact them to find the nearest Basset Hound Rescue to you. I don't mean to sound critical, but you could have prevented any aggression if you had taken the time to do proper training with the dog. You should have taken action at the very first signs of aggression, if that is in fact, what it is. There are many reasons dogs appear aggressive but are not. And yes, I have trained many dogs in my lifetime and guess what.. the dogs behavior is ALWAYS the owners fault. Take the time to learn about the breed, it's needs and training required before making a purchase.

http://www.bassethoundrescue.com/maindefault.htm

"Snapping is a control response. In most cases, you have to look at root cause. Ok - the dog snapped. Was it because I was playing to aggressively? Was I moving the food bowl during feeding? Many times, it is our fault, but we still want to blame the dog because we as humans do not like to be in the wrong. Bottom line is growling, snapping, and biting can all be corrected. The question is are you willing to take the amount of time needed for the correction. Make a good choice. "

Perhaps you missed the fact the OP said she was a certified trainer?

As well as:
    OP implied she is a certified trainer, yet still failed to stop the behavior
    She said the dog has bit her multiple times (once in the face!)
    Bit the BF twice now
    Attacked the other two dogs
    Tried attacking a young 3 year old girl next door!
    3 other trainers have failed with this dog
    Medication made it worse

At what point do you weigh the safety of others over this dog? Seriously...
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I've read some of the posts but not all, so I don't know if this has been suggested before, but you might call Best Friends Animal Society in Utah for advice. They are the huge non-kill shelter that has really advanced the no-kill movement, and they specialize in unadoptable animals (for example, they rehabilitated Michael Vick's dogs, and they provide a forever home for animals that are truly unadoptable). They may be able to offer advice on a no-kill shelter in your area that could handle this kind of dog, or maybe even take him in if there is no other option. At any rate, they have a ton of expertise, so worth checking. I know a local non-kill shelter near me that kept a ferocious German Shepherd that hated women for years until the right male owner came along, and another small mixed breed with a biting problem for years until the right person came along for her, so there are definitely places that can handle thse dogs, it's just a matter of finding the right one (that has room, usually the biggest obstacle).

Good luck - I know this must be hard for you, and I am impressed by the lengths that you are willing to go to try to save this dog (though as others have said, keeping him with a baby just isn't an option). Don't give up!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I am a true dog lover. Quite frankly, I love my german wirehair more than most people. He is an amazing dog and contributes so much to my quality of life. I can't imagine life without him. I also love my little pitbull girl. She is an affectionate, beautiful little soul who makes me very happy.

Having said that, I love my daughter more than life itself and would sacrifice anything to keep her safe. I would not have a single, second thought about getting rid of either of my dogs if I thought they posed even the smallest danger to her. Period.

I would advise you to attempt to rehome your bassett with full disclosure of his aggressive tendencies to someone who is familiar with the breed and with aggressive dogs.

If you are not able to find a suitable home where he will not pose a danger to others, I would put him down. I know that is a harsh thing to say, but there is no room in our society (in my mind) for domestic animals who pose a threat to humans.

I love all animals, especially dogs, and my dogs are truly members of my family. I cannot imagine having a happy life without pets, but I also believe that anyone who would risk harm to their child by keeping a known dangerous animal with a history of biting is criminal and crazy and is committing the crime of child endangerment by allowing a dog with a history of biting people to have any kind of access to children or other unsuspecting people.

Well said. The last thing I want to see is a news story about a baby mauled by a dog that was known to be aggressive. Too many children have died that way and the question afterwards is always "why did they keep the dog?". At least an adult can attempt to defend him or herself against a dog, but a baby cannot. If the bassett harms the baby or anyone else (other than you and hubby), it will automatically be put down. Chances are the aggression will increase when the baby comes. You have got to get rid of him, regardless of what happens after you do it.

Best of luck and congrats on the new addition.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For the record, I don't want to see this dog, or any other dog, dead. But realistically, I'd rather see a violently aggressive dog euthanized than see it attack the shepherd and pit again, bite the owners again, or even worse, attack a child.

I have a special needs rescue dog (one-eyed Pekingese with mild aggression during grooming and slight resource guarding). He's great with the cats and since we won't have kids, that's not an issue. If we ever did have any kind of problem with him that we couldn't handle, it was in our adoption contract that the rescue would take him back. (For anyone out there considering adding a pet, please look only adopt from rescues or purchase from breeders that have that kind of clause.) Six of my seven cats were feral or semi-feral strays, with the seventh being a former foster from the shelter. Pretty much all of my pets have been "project" pets that needed some kind of special care or taming or training. I like the fixer-upper! :smile:

But I don't believe that "all dogs are good dogs" and I don't believe in the Dog Whisperer any more than I believe in Dr. Oz. Sometimes there's something mentally or emotionally wrong that can't be fixed with training. It's sad and it's heartbreaking. I bawled my eyes out when I had to see an aggressive dog euthanized after attacking his owner's husband, because the dog was sometimes very sweet, but unpredictable with men. I was holding/hugging his head, stroking him and telling him what a good boy he was, while he got the injection. And it was made even more heartbreaking that the dog had to be decapitated to test him for rabies, since you legally can't euthanize an animal without testing unless you can keep him quarantined for 10 days after a bite that breaks skin.
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Contact local rescue groups or local humane society. Not all of them put the dogs to sleep. Many will work with the dog to be readopted.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You aren't out of options. Unfortunately, this dog sounds like one that needs to be put down.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    Thank you to those that have given advice and some numbers to call. This situation is incredibly sad for me, and I don't have the interest in reading any more hateful and judgmental comments. I am trying to do what is right, and many of us seem to have differing opinions as to what is "right".
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I find it astounding that some of you weigh this dog's life so much given the OPs facts:

OP implied she is a certified trainer, yet still failed to stop the behavior
    She said the dog has bit her multiple times (once in the face!)
    Bit the BF twice now?
    Attacked the other two dogs
    Tried attacking a young 3 year old girl next door!?
    3 other trainers have failed with this dog

What else is there to consider? You might get lucky and find someone willing to deal with this problem dog, but it should be OUT of your house immediately. You will risk the life of your child and already its a huge liability for others in the neighborhood.

When I was about 7 years old one of the neighbors dogs got out, ran up the street, and bit me in the face requiring a hospital trip and stitches on the corner of my mouth and cheek. To this day, I grow my goatee to cover it up. This dog was a known problem, but a few seconds of lapsed judgement keeping a gate open caused my injuries and scarred me for life. I wish those people had the guts to do the right thing and get rid of it.

No she said she has trained several dogs.. not that she is a trainer.. she took the dog to one trainer. NOT the same thing

I have trained dogs for my most of my life, and this is incredibly hard to handle. We took him to one trainer that suggested we put him down because he was unmanageable, and our vet prescribed him depression pills that ended up making him worse.

No she said she has trained several dogs.. not that she is a trainer.. she took the dog to one trainer. NOT the same thing. Apparently she did not find the RIGHT trainer for her needs and breed.. which is why I posted the link to the Basset Hound Rescue.., THEY will be able to help her surrender the dog. They will train it properly AND find it a proper home with someone who can take the time needed to work with him.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    No, I am not putting him down. End of story. Yes, I am attempting to find him a new home, before I give birth. Again, I am having trouble finding a suitable home. This isn't funny to me, and it is sickening that some of you are assuming I would put my child in danger or that I am neglectful. You think jokes about him mauling my child is funny? You can kindly go **** yourself.

There's something odd about you I think. Now you're making things up.
This discussion has been closed.