Help! Aggressive dog and newborn

Options

Replies

• rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    From the OP
    cut--

I have tried over the months to establish my role as alpha male, and to show him that he will not have privileges if he continues to display aggression. I took him to a shelter to *kitten* his mental state, and was told that he was unadoptable. I would never be able to put him down, and couldnt imagine giving such a high maintenance dog away.

But, I am out of options. I need help.

A shelter does not take into account the specific breed, as they all have different needs. And generally, the people who assess at the shelters are NOT trained professionals.. trust me I volunteer at many of them and can't believe what I see. You can not generalize or lump all breeds into one category as they all have different backgrounds and needs. I understand your fear of dogs and am not minimizing it in any way BUT there are other options.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    He has never bitten anyone outside of our home, and before it gets to that point, I am finding him a place away from children and inexperienced owners. I'm sorry that dog bit you. That doesn't mean you can judge my situation and deem it as at the same problem. He was unadoptable at the shelter I took him to. Shelters put dogs down for very minute reasons, and they don't have the training staff or time to work with him. He doesn't need his head blown off, he needs a responsible trainer that can work with him and keep him out of situations that are dangerous for all involved. I am not doing this out of pride, but because of my concern for the safety of others. Your continued judgement makes me assume that you have a highly biased view of problem animals.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I just want to remind you all that she is EIGHT MONTHS PREGNANT.
    She is now beside herself because of the blatant lack of respect on this thread.

You can stop fighting amongst yourselves and attacking her for not agreeing with your perspective.

She is not keeping the dog.
    She is against putting any animal down that can be saved.

Aggressive dogs can be trained with the right trainer. Fact.

She asked for guidance.

Try not to be so rude.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I will say this one more time, I am looking to find him a new home, not keep him. Please stop suggesting I am choosing my dog over my child. I fully intend to have him gone before she is born. End of story. But, despite what any of you think, I care about him and want him to go to a good home. Keeping him is not an option for me.

What happens if you can't find him a good home with the guarantee that he won't be put to sleep or that doesn't have kids? What will you do then??

What's the answer to this question ?

That isn't going to happen. Putting him down is not an option, no need to continue. He is my dog and I will find a place for him that is suitable.

I hope you do, but the possibility exists that you won't find what you want for him in the time you have before the baby comes. You're due next month and IF you haven't found a safe place for him, you will have a very hard decision to make. You know what you want and need to do, but sometimes even the best laid plans don't come to fruition. What you need to do is figure out what you'll do if your plans don't work out. You don't want to "blindsided" with the other possibilities. What does hubby say about the matter?

I wish you luck...and comfort in your decision.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with Ceasar Milan and say there are some dogs that cannot be rehabilitated. Every day you hear of humans with mental problems, so why can this not also extend to animals? If you've heard from three different trainers, as well as the shelter, that he is a danger why would you want to continue trying to place him into an already overran system?
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You said yourself he tried attacking a 3 year old child! What stopped it from happening? A fence... is it that hard to imagine my example of the girl having her arm through the fence to pet your dog? This isnt "judgement" as you call it.. no one is judging you at all. People are giving REAL and honest advice.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke? Not to state the obvious, but you need to do one of two thing: put the dog down or find someone who can HANDLE this animal. You're saying this dog has drawn blood and tried to attack a 3 year old? Are you not thinking of your unborn child WHATSOEVER?
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love animals but I truely believe that some should not be saved, I know you will be extremely emotional right now, but imagine if you do rehome and he seriously hurts someone, I think the bravest thing you can do is to put him to sleep, it will be heartbreaking, but no where near as heartbreaking as if he really injures someone

Even if someone experienced takes him on, there are no guarantees, things happen when we least expect them, and can't plan for them

I'm very sorry for the situation you are in
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I am a true dog lover. Quite frankly, I love my german wirehair more than most people. He is an amazing dog and contributes so much to my quality of life. I can't imagine life without him. I also love my little pitbull girl. She is an affectionate, beautiful little soul who makes me very happy.

Having said that, I love my daughter more than life itself and would sacrifice anything to keep her safe. I would not have a single, second thought about getting rid of either of my dogs if I thought they posed even the smallest danger to her. Period.

I would advise you to attempt to rehome your bassett with full disclosure of his aggressive tendencies to someone who is familiar with the breed and with aggressive dogs.

If you are not able to find a suitable home where he will not pose a danger to others, I would put him down. I know that is a harsh thing to say, but there is no room in our society (in my mind) for domestic animals who pose a threat to humans.

I love all animals, especially dogs, and my dogs are truly members of my family. I cannot imagine having a happy life without pets, but I also believe that anyone who would risk harm to their child by keeping a known dangerous animal with a history of biting is criminal and crazy and is committing the crime of child endangerment by allowing a dog with a history of biting people to have any kind of access to children or other unsuspecting people.

This and I too am an animal lover but it is unacceptable to keep dangerous animals and this is a dangerous animal. Some times the hardest thing is the right thing.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    She is now beside herself because of the blatant lack of respect on this thread.

You can stop fighting amongst yourselves and attacking her for not agreeing with your perspective.

She asked for guidance.

Try not to be so rude.

Thinking about whether or not you can rationally deal with other peoples opinions should be the first thing a person thinks about before they ask a question on the Internet. Sure some of us have been sarcastic but that comes with the territory. If a person can not deal with opinions that go against thier own.... they probably should not partake in group discussion... pregnant or otherwise.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This has probably already suggested. Can you google your breed local rescue? They may either take him, or let you post him as a courtesy to adopt out to someone that has less on their plate and more breed specific skills. They usually take pains to be sure they send the dog out to a place where his specific personality and issues are not a problem. And to people that are prepared to take care and do whats right for that particular dog. If it's kids, then they suggest a non-child home. Etc.. And they usually want to be notified if it doesn't work out so they can rehome the dog.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Why wait until your'e 8months pregnant to deal with this? This aggression sounds like it's built up over a long period, not the past few months...??

Anyway, it's not attacking. In fact: It's defending the rights of innocent children/pets/humans who might come in contact with this dog before or even during this 'rehabilitation' which you say is possible... I am doubtful.

I don't mean to attack you and i've tried to be respectful but clearly, you have made up your mind. So, when/if your dog, either in your ownership or elsewhere bites/mauls/kills someone, don't blame anyone else.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    Is this a joke? Not to state the obvious, but you need to do one of two thing: put the dog down or find someone who can HANDLE this animal. You're saying this dog has drawn blood and tried to attack a 3 year old? Are you not thinking of your unborn child WHATSOEVER?

YES I AM THINKING OF MY CHILD I HAVE STATED MULTIPLE TIMES I AM FINDING SOMEONE WHO CAN HANDLE HIM. Do not use your ignorant, biased, judgmental thinking to assume that I am not thinking of my child. Who the **** are you to even let those words come out of your mouth?Read before you spew your bull****. I am sick of hearing you pathetic people use your opinion to bash and attempt to conceal it stating that you are "trying to help". Help does not assume the role of judgement or ****ty remarks.

Guess what people? I love my dog and I am not putting him down. I love my child more, so I am finding a better home for him.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    Why wait until your'e 8months pregnant to deal with this? This aggression sounds like it's built up over a long period, not the past few months...??

Anyway, it's not attacking. In fact: It's defending the rights of innocent children/pets/humans who might come in contact with this dog before or even during this 'rehabilitation' which you say is possible... I am doubtful.

I don't mean to attack you and i've tried to be respectful but clearly, you have made up your mind. So, when/if your dog, either in your ownership or elsewhere bites/mauls/kills someone, don't blame anyone else.

Being respectful does not mean stating that you would sue my *kitten* if my dog got out. Being respectful does not mean that you state I am not putting him down because of my pride, or implying that I am a neglectful mother and dog owner. That is pure ignorance.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options

YES I AM THINKING OF MY CHILD I HAVE STATED MULTIPLE TIMES I AM FINDING SOMEONE WHO CAN HANDLE HIM. Do not use your ignorant, biased, judgmental thinking to assume that I am not thinking of my child. Who the **** are you to even let those words come out of your mouth?Read before you spew your bull****. I am sick of hearing you pathetic people use your opinion to bash and attempt to conceal it stating that you are "trying to help". Help does not assume the role of judgement or ****ty remarks.

Guess what people? I love my dog and I am not putting him down. I love my child more, so I am finding a better home for him.

You're willing to trust this dog around someone else? Clearly no one can handle him, including you or any other trainer. I'm confused.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    He is trainable, I have yet to find him a place that could do it. I haven't given him away already because I do not want to put anyone else in danger. There is a place that can help him and I am trying to find it.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

She asked for guidance.

Try not to be so rude.

Thinking about whether or not you can rationally deal with other peoples opinions should be the first thing a person thinks about before they ask a question on the Internet. Sure some of us have been sarcastic but that comes with the territory. If a person can not deal with opinions that go against thier own.... they probably should not partake in group discussion... pregnant or otherwise.

Or just maybe some people could just just a wee little bit of tact, whether they're being just plain sarcastic or otherwise.

Goes both ways, bub.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I thought you were done like 3 pages ago? She's getting rid of the damn dog. Did you not see that? I think she mentioned it 5-10 times.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I understand you love your dog and I am honestly not trying to attack you by asking this question, but what do you plan on doing if you can't find a home that you deem good enough to take him? I only ask that because earlier on you said you didn't want to just adopt him out to get rid of him - that you only want to give him to someone who you believe can handle him in the way you see fit, but with only about a month to go of your pregnancy, I am wondering what you will do if you can't find a good enough home for him within that month? Sparing a few comments in this thread, I do believe most people here are trying to help - they just aren't telling you things you want to hear. :(
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What is your worst fear with this dog? Once you acknowledge the likelihood of this event, you'll realize that putting him down might be the only option you have.

Keeping a dog that you know for a fact to be aggressive very likely will get you jail time if he attacks your child. Your dog is in the system as unadoptable, and you're on notice that he is a danger. It is a huge risk that I would not allow anyone to take. Even if you find someone willing to take him, you could be sued if he injures them or someone else.

Yes, I am trying to scare you. This isn't said lightly. I am sorry.
This discussion has been closed.