Help! Aggressive dog and newborn

Options

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Why wait until your'e 8months pregnant to deal with this? This aggression sounds like it's built up over a long period, not the past few months...??

Anyway, it's not attacking. In fact: It's defending the rights of innocent children/pets/humans who might come in contact with this dog before or even during this 'rehabilitation' which you say is possible... I am doubtful.

I don't mean to attack you and i've tried to be respectful but clearly, you have made up your mind. So, when/if your dog, either in your ownership or elsewhere bites/mauls/kills someone, don't blame anyone else.

I thought you were done like 3 pages ago? She's getting rid of the damn dog. Did you not see that? I think she mentioned it 5-10 times.

If "she's getting rid of the damn dog" then why the thread ?
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I've been working under the assumption, unlike most who only read your original post that you ARE not keeping the dog in your house...so the issue of you being neglectful about your child is moot when it comes to me. If you rehome the dog and it bites/mauls/kills someone else or their child, who is to blame then? If not you?

Whatever, you refuse to listen to any reason so work away. Do what you have to do...you have such a strong belief system that you are willing to risk the live/health of other animals and humans to defend your beliefs. Me suing a person who knew their dog was aggressive and had a biting history and whose dog bit my child is not a threat. People do it all the time. And win. Just a fact.

http://dogbitelaw.com/legal-rights-of-dog-bite-victims-in-usa/legal-rights-of-dog-bite-victims-in-the-usa.html

"Most states and the District of Columbia impose liability on a dog owner for all dog bites even if the dog previously was a "good dog." The victim is compensated through the dog owner's homeowners or renters insurance. A minority of states observe the "one bite rule" which shields a dog owner from liability unless he knew that it tended to bite, or caused the bite negligently or intentionally, or violated a leash law or other animal control law."
  • RevNS
    RevNS Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Please try the link below and see if they can help you.

It is possible that the dog may not be an issue in different dynamics, but once you place the dog and they aid you with your situation it will then be their responsibility to do what they feel is best for all concerned.

I read a good bit of this site before offering it to you, and you will be comforted that they too feel that putting a basset down is a last resort. So I hope they can help you with emergency placement and then evaluation, rehab, whatever they feel is best.

I wish you well with everything!

http://www.bassethoundrescue.com/maindefault.htm
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    When your dog bites your baby (or kills him/her) or attacks the neighbor's child (or kills him/her) you will go to jail and your children may very likely be taken away. You have been warned so many times that at this point it will amount to criminal negligence or manslaughter depending on the laws of your state. Bassets are very strong dogs and though, not usually aggressive, they are more than capable of killing a small child. Then, if its the neighbor's child, the civil suit will follow. You will very likely lose your home. If you have any sense whatsoever you will put the dog down.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Why wait until your'e 8months pregnant to deal with this? This aggression sounds like it's built up over a long period, not the past few months...??

Anyway, it's not attacking. In fact: It's defending the rights of innocent children/pets/humans who might come in contact with this dog before or even during this 'rehabilitation' which you say is possible... I am doubtful.

I don't mean to attack you and i've tried to be respectful but clearly, you have made up your mind. So, when/if your dog, either in your ownership or elsewhere bites/mauls/kills someone, don't blame anyone else.

I thought you were done like 3 pages ago? She's getting rid of the damn dog. Did you not see that? I think she mentioned it 5-10 times.

Read my latest post...I wasn't the one who was saying she was keeping the dog. I accept she's giving it away. To be someone else's problem and possible risk of hurting/killing someone else.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I understand you love your dog and I am honestly not trying to attack you by asking this question, but what do you plan on doing if you can't find a home that you deem good enough to take him? I only ask that because earlier on you said you didn't want to just adopt him out to get rid of him - that you only want to give him to someone who you believe can handle him in the way you see fit, but with only about a month to go of your pregnancy, I am wondering what you will do if you can't find a good enough home for him within that month? Sparing a few comments in this thread, I do believe most people here are trying to help - they just aren't telling you things you want to hear. :(

Some people are trying to help, some have great advice that I am willing to work with. If I absolutely cannot find him a place, I will have him quarantined at the shelter I used to work at. They will keep him for up to three months. It is one of my last resorts because he would not be allowed outside or near anyone besides myself and the people that feed him, just for precaution. I don't want to have to do that, but I will before ever thinking about putting him down.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Please try the link below and see if they can help you.

It is possible that the dog may not be an issue in different dynamics, but once you place the dog and they aid you with your situation it will then be their responsibility to do what they feel is best for all concerned.

I read a good bit of this site before offering it to you, and you will be comforted that they too feel that putting a basset down is a last resort. So I hope they can help you with emergency placement and then evaluation, rehab, whatever they feel is best.

I wish you well with everything!

http://www.bassethoundrescue.com/maindefault.htm

good idea, breed specific rescue is probably the best option, second to a relative or someone that you trust that understands the dynamic of the situation. unfortunately no one is probably going to love the dog as much as you do, but maybe you'll get lucky, hard to say.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

If "she's getting rid of the damn dog" then why the thread ?

She decided that oh I don't know, a couple pages ago?
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    I just want to remind you all that she is EIGHT MONTHS PREGNANT.
    She is now beside herself because of the blatant lack of respect on this thread.

You can stop fighting amongst yourselves and attacking her for not agreeing with your perspective.

She is not keeping the dog.
    She is against putting any animal down that can be saved.

Aggressive dogs can be trained with the right trainer. Fact.

She asked for guidance.

Try not to be so rude.

Thinking about whether or not you can rationally deal with other peoples opinions should be the first thing a person thinks about before they ask a question on the Internet. Sure some of us have been sarcastic but that comes with the territory. If a person can not deal with opinions that go against thier own.... they probably should not partake in group discussion... pregnant or otherwise.

Or just maybe some people could just just a wee little bit of tact, whether they're being just plain sarcastic or otherwise.

Goes both ways, bub.

So instead of saying to shoot the dog I should have had more tact and said "put it down" ?

That makes no sense to me considering she got wound up when other people suggested that as well. This thread is a no-win for people who have opinions that differ from hers.
  • 84woolf
    84woolf Posts: 153
    Options
    Sorry that you're getting some really ignorant unhelpful responses. A lot of people just generally suck.

While I do believe its likely he can learn new behaviours, the fact thay you're about to have a newborn cleaely limits the adequate amount of one on one direction and serious help he needs. What you describe sounds like a dominance issue..the number of humans in the house and other dogs dogs is probably confusing him and it sounds like he's totally lost and is trying to assert himself.

Its probably best he be rehomed to a single person home or at the minimim to where he is the only animal. He clearly has some anxiety and/or dominance issuea and it'll be difficult for him to change with so much going on.

I know its incredibly hard but sounds like he needs a new home. I would take great care in choosing a proper home for him...ensuring the best possible future for him as well as peace of mind for yourself.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    This thread was to see if I could find a place for him that anyone knows of that would help him. I found some, so in theory my idea worked. It was not about me being criminally negligent or bad mother or just downright stupid for not killing him. I have at least five places that can help me now, thank you to those who made an effort.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I understand you love your dog and I am honestly not trying to attack you by asking this question, but what do you plan on doing if you can't find a home that you deem good enough to take him? I only ask that because earlier on you said you didn't want to just adopt him out to get rid of him - that you only want to give him to someone who you believe can handle him in the way you see fit, but with only about a month to go of your pregnancy, I am wondering what you will do if you can't find a good enough home for him within that month? Sparing a few comments in this thread, I do believe most people here are trying to help - they just aren't telling you things you want to hear. :(

Some people are trying to help, some have great advice that I am willing to work with. If I absolutely cannot find him a place, I will have him quarantined at the shelter I used to work at. They will keep him for up to three months. It is one of my last resorts because he would not be allowed outside or near anyone besides myself and the people that feed him, just for precaution. I don't want to have to do that, but I will before ever thinking about putting him down.

Okay, well I am happy to read you have a plan just in case you can't find him a new home!
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    When your dog bites your baby (or kills him/her) or attacks the neighbor's child (or kills him/her) you will go to jail and your children may very likely be taken away. You have been warned so many times that at this point it will amount to criminal negligence or manslaughter depending on the laws of your state. Bassets are very strong dogs and though, not usually aggressive, they are more than capable of killing a small child. Then, if its the neighbor's child, the civil suit will follow. You will very likely lose your home. If you have any sense whatsoever you will put the dog down.

Oh jesus. I am not keeping him, my child is not born yet. I am not putting him down. I do not need to hear that I am negligent or he will even be near my child. It isn't going to happen. You sir, are an *kitten*.

He is going you HIS opinion.. That does NOT make him an *kitten*?

Are you a psycho ?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Have you considered finding a new home for the dog? I mean, it could hurt the baby. :angry:

I'm kidding. It's a tough situation. I hope you find him a lovely home and he is able to be the best dog he can. It's a tough situation, and I don't envy you. Good luck, and I hope you have a healthy baby that lets you get some sleep, sometimes.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Let me summarise my point:

1. Yes, you are not keeping him so your child and your family and immediate neighbours are safe.
    2. You want to rehome him either with or without some training (which until now hasn't worked multiple times)....
    3. So then, he can hurts someone else's children/animals?

Is that right? How is that not negligent? If I were you, I'd read the statutes for your state on this issue**... you are still responsible because the dog is a known and documented aggressive dog with biting... even if it's rehomed, if it attacks, it'll be your problem.
    That was the point the gentleman was trying to make who you called an *kitten*. And we are insulting and offensive? I've not used curses. I don't have to, because I'm using LOGIC.

** http://dogbitelaw.com/legal-rights-of-dog-bite-victims-in-usa/one-bite-states-and-mixed-dog-bite-statute-states.html
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    This thread was to see if I could find a place for him that anyone knows of that would help him. I found some, so in theory my idea worked. It was not about me being criminally negligent or bad mother or just downright stupid for not killing him. I have at least five places that can help me now, thank you to those who made an effort.

Liar.
    What you did say is that You do not know what to do, are out of options and am asking for help.
    People tried to help and you got offended when some suggested putting the dog down..it's as simple as that.

Stop pretending otherwise and acknowledge the truth.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Oh jesus. I am not keeping him, my child is not born yet. I am not putting him down. I do not need to hear that I am negligent or he will even be near my child. It isn't going to happen. You sir, are an *kitten*.

Great ad hominem attack. Talk to your own lawyer if you don't want to believe this one.

For the record: This does not equate legal advice and I am not giving you legal advice.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Given the history of biting 2 adults on multiple occasions, attempting to attack the 3 year old next door, and attacking other pets despite 4 failed trainers (yourself included) and failed medication treatment, I would go so far as calling you negligent. If the girl had her arm through the fence and was actually bitten (which your dog TRIED TO DO and HAS DONE TO OTHERS), you would be in a world of legal problems given its history that you have given us.

I get youre trying to get rid of it now for your soon-to-arrive baby. But imagine the baby wasnt in the picture. Would you still have this dog around the house? How many bites are too many? What about the next 3 year old neighbor kid in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I am simply trying to get you to understand the risk to OTHERS! There comes a point where you have to evaluate your responsibility as a pet owner. In this circumstance, it shouldnt be just because of a baby coming.
  • 84woolf
    84woolf Posts: 153
    Options
    Sm1zzle. You are an idiot. Drag your *kitten* to another forum where you're not being a bullying loser...trying to call out an emotional 8month pregnant woman by calling her pyscho and a liar. This isn't gradeschool. You can get your opinion across in thoughtful sentences.

Its an incredibly hard decision for her, ever think she just needed some back up reinforcement to say yeah, sucks but he DOES need a new home?

She got offended at her being negligent comments. Know how to read or better yet interpret?
  • sm1zzle
    Options

Given the history of biting 2 adults on multiple occasions, attempting to attack the 3 year old next door, and attacking other pets despite 4 failed trainers (yourself included) and failed medication treatment, I would go so far as calling you negligent. If the girl had her arm through the fence and was actually bitten (which your dog TRIED TO DO and HAS DONE TO OTHERS), you would be in a world of legal problems given its history that you have given us.

I get youre trying to get rid of it now for your soon-to-arrive baby. But imagine the baby wasnt in the picture. Would you still have this dog around the house? How many bites are too many? What about the next 3 year old neighbor kid in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I am simply trying to get you to understand the risk to OTHERS! There comes a point where you have to evaluate your responsibility as a pet owner. In this circumstance, it shouldnt be just because of a baby coming.

You can't reason with someone who fails to acknowledge other points of views.
This discussion has been closed.