January Walking Challenge

Options
This is continued from previous Walking Challenges, but its nice when each month has its own thread.

*** Anyone can join in at any time, the more the merrier, lets keep each other motivated****

Walking seems like the easiest way to start getting exercise, and even if you can't track distance (or don't want to), tracking time is good too...go for a 10 min walk after dinner, or up it to 30 minutes, you'll be amazed at the end of the month how much more exercise your getting in. :)

Check in everyday with how far you walked or how long, this is just to motivate us to get in at least some exercise everyday, and keep an eye on each other.

I want to try to keep this mostly to walking or walking type exercising. treadmills and ellipticals are A-OK.

Hope to see some more faces in this challenge, we'll start tracking January 1st.

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Count me in. Last month I added two jobs onto my two existing part-time jobs - one of them seasonal. They were active and I got alot of steps but no formal walks. However the two busiests jobs are slowing down or ending now so I will be picking back up with my walks with running intervals. In fact my husband and I walked around our 2.8 mile lake park today. So looking forward to this challenge. I will need it to make up for slowing down on those jobs. At least I lost a bit of weight in December.
  • lessofme65
    lessofme65 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just found the Dec challenge then the new for Jan. Perfect timing for me as I have been out there in lala land and feel this will be a challenge I can live with. I plan to move everyday and log my activity here especially since most of my exercise is walking. Great idea, so glad to have stumbled across this. I plan to log my activity starting tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration and happy, healthy new year to us all!!!!!
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. I'd like to walk for one hour ever day. Look forward to getting to know you
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    I just got my hour done now! A thirty minute walk with my big dog in this heat, then ten with the smaller dog, then twenty on my own.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Starting a walking challenge with my family, so this will be great!
    We're trying to see who can walk 967 miles first (from Hobbiton to the Lonely Mountain), inspired from The Hobbit.
    Just an FYI though, we're not walking all that in one month, lol. It's a multiple month long challenge. :)
  • daveinlancs
    daveinlancs Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone hope you had a great New Year celebration. I am going to continue where I left off by trying to get out for a walk every day, even if it is only the one mile round trip to the gym.
    All the best for 2013.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Count me in!! I'm totally new to this but I really want to walk more! So much so I bought a pedometer in the sale to kick my bum into doing it! I want to go for longer walks.

I wrote on the message board asking if people are doing this kind of thing but no one replied :sad: haha.

But this will be great. Start of a new me.

Good luck everyone!!!!!

Feel free to add!

Steph
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    fstephanie, I've used a pedometer in the past and had great results! Good luck, let us know how you go
  • Mhairi2510
    Mhairi2510 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone hope you had a great New Year celebration. I am going to continue where I left off by trying to get out for a walk every day, even if it is only the one mile round trip to the gym.
    All the best for 2013.

I'm in!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am in for this as I need to get out more.
  • kharding63
    Options
    Count me in.... trying to get back to what I've done in the past. Looking forward to this.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! :)
  • mommie3car
    Options
    you can count me in. Until the weather breaks I'll be counting steps per minute. I can't take my little guy out in the blizzardly cold. :smile:
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    I've done 53 minutes today, its just too hot!! Will do last 7 in the evening
  • daveinlancs
    Options
    All the best for 2013.

I'm in!

Welcome aboard mh
  • CHUBBYgoLUCKY
    CHUBBYgoLUCKY Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! Going to start training for a 1/2 marathon for November. Going to start this first week with one mile maybe two, and build from there. I did it 2011, wish me luck for 2013!
  • eternity365
    eternity365 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    count me in
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    Got that last 7 minutes in, woot! Actually, it turned into 14... happy though
  • Mhairi2510
    Mhairi2510 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    01/01 - 2.4 miles
    02/01 - 5.2 miles
  • daveinlancs
    Options
    Running total 9.31 miles

01/01 - 4.9
    02/01 - 4.41