If a bear was chasing you, how far could you run?

Options

Replies

• Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Proud to say at least 6 miles!!!

The furthest I have ever run non- stop - 6 miles this morning!!! YAY

So I think if a bear was actually chasing me....I could push it a bit further!!

This time last year - I would've been dead by mile 2! :sad:
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Black bears can run up to 35 mph, I can't run that fast! (http://www.americanbear.org/blackbearfacts.htm)

But...you only have to run faster than your running partner!

I'm training for my first half in June.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'd be his lunch
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You better take a gun, bears can climb trees.
  • jotun87
    jotun87 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    :smile: I often say the only time I COULD run is when I was being chased by someone or something...

Still, I'd probably get mauled to death in the end. Running just isn't for me! lol
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter because a bear can run up to 30mph, either way you're dead....
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've never kept running after the 13.1 to finish a half marathon, but if a bear is still chasing me after 13 miles, I'm pretty sure he'll be too tired to eat anything.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I am training for my first full marathon on April 27th. As far as my lungs and cardio capacity go, I feel like I could run all day. My legs are what bring me down. In addition to running (obviously) I want to strengthen them significantly between now and then so they will carry me the full 26.2 miles.

One - Squats to strengthen your legs and butt
    Two - make sure you're eating enough accessible carbs to avoid your blood sugar going kooky and running out of energy (lightheadedness and/or "jelly legs")

As far as the bear goes - depends on speed for me how far I can go, and even then I only really need to be farther/faster than the next slowest person ;)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    About 4 miles...
    That's AFTER I empty my clip....:bigsmile:
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    my strategy would be to play dead.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter how far, because the bear would be faster. A LOT faster.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    <- actually has been "chased" by a bear. We didn't run. We backed away slowly, made a peace offering of fish, and jumped into a river. Note: if a bear ever charges at you, don't run, and jumping into water is probably even stupider.
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I only need to keep in front of the person running with me. as soon as the bear is distracted, I can slow down and walk. I could probably walk 26.2 miles... it might take me all day, but that's okay, because the bear is distracted, and won't be hungry after he's done eating the other person, anyway.
  • nicholjenny
    nicholjenny Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I could run 5 miles but unfortunately, it wouldn't be fast enough to outrun him! :laugh:
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    Silly question, but I am being partially serious! :smile:

I am training for my first full marathon on April 27th. As far as my lungs and cardio capacity go, I feel like I could run all day. My legs are what bring me down. In addition to running (obviously) I want to strengthen them significantly between now and then so they will carry me the full 26.2 miles.

When I complain to my husband about wanting to stop or struggling with my runs...he says "If you feel like stopping, pretend like a bear is chasing you!".

Lol.

How far is the nearest tree?

But bears are good climbers! :)

Outrun and trip the nearest guy and make sure to have my cellphone ready for a viral youtube video
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I thought you were supposed to play dead. Anyway I don't pal around in situations where bears may or may not chase me.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Well, I actually have a true life bear story to share. I was out for a 10 mile training run. It was hot and hilly. I kept stopping to walk.
    On the way back (it was an out and back course) I was walking more -my legs just felt "dead". Thought I may have to walk the remainder (4+ miles) back, when all of a sudden a huge black bear meanered out of the woods and slowly crossed the road just in front of me. I didn't know what to do, where to run and I literally was in the middle of the woods. Prayed he wouldn't get a wiff of me, now grateful for the strong headwind I was cursing moments ago, so I waited until he had meandered further into the bush and then ran like hell the rest of the way home. At one point, I thought "funny, my legs don't feel dead anymore". Best negative split ever! :laugh:
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I would seriously hope that I was some where near a house or a car that I could hop into! I'm really glad I walk in my neighborhood or in the gym! Bears in our neighborhood are plentiful! So it wouldn't be out of the question to see one. I just hope I never have to be in that situation!!!
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Not far, but I just need to run faster than the person I'm with, right?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    35mph??? They can climb trees? Buggerit, I'll make sure I have more than one sword on me just in case.
    Note: if a bear ever charges at you, don't run!

Because he'll apply to the local court to have your assets seized? Oh, wait, you meant...