Replies

• carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Skipped a few pages but will try to get to them later. For now just doing the last page.

Viv
    Good goals and the health lunches will help

DeeDee
    There is many many ways in preparing beans and they freeze very well.
    I love an early morning and a quiet house.
    For knitting just pick something simple it will come back to you.

Jean
    Laughing great medicine

Kathy
    Welcome and post away

Nanny
    You came to the right place for motivation and support. Lots of it here.

Michele
    Does that mean son will be taking permanent residence in France.
    They don't care how we feel and I guess they should once married they don't need to keep us happy but keep the wife happy.
    I'm eating mandarin oranges like crazy one is never enough.
    I need to add protein to my breakfast but other than eggs and beans cheese what else is there not a fan of canned protein.
    Don't you need 4 coaster for a set.

Gail
    Sounds to me like your hitting the gym big time.

Sue
    What is Nike Fuel never heard of it.
    Let's all work together for longevity.

Ms Dover
    Congrats on becoming a new grandma. Coming from a grandma it's great.
    It's hard after surgery when you are unable to move. Make sure you have a stack of good books and something to keep your hands busy. Warn the family no junk. Especially while in hospital. Flowers no food. You can eat the petals but don't think they'd be loaded with calories like chocolate.
    Good luck tomorrow with the eyes.

Eileen
    Great news on the blood pressure.
    School starts early. Mine don't start until i don't know when. I know I baby sit tomorrow.
    About goals don't fix what's not broken.

Renny
    I will have to watch that episode I want to talk at tops about corn syrup.
    I'm sure I can put together a good topic in an hour and a half.

Jeannie
    Forget 2012 it's done. Onward forward in 2013.

Kate
    My mother had a good saying.
    Hard work won't kill you but sitting around doing nothing feeling sorry for yourself will.
    Lot's of truth to that.
    So life got in the way but enjoying good friends and food is part of life. and it goes on even when we are trying to lose weight.
    You will look stunning in that black evening gown thirty seven lbs lighter.
    Good goals.

Liz
    I kept my cleaning for today. Yesterday I had family and friends to entertain much more important than a clean kitchen.
    And I will count that as exercise. Because i'm not stepping outside at -34 right now. No no the house is where i'll be today.
    Probably can find laundry never hard to do for some reason.

Barbie
    You sure ain't letting no moss grow between your toes this month.
    When you walk with hubby take his hand in yours. LOL

Katla
    Certainly no shortage of vit. F in here. For newbies Vit. F ( stands for friendship)

Ca1954
    Welcome baby steps that's where you start.

Linda S
    Linda sure was a famous name from 1948 to about 1952. But I have to admit I love my name.

Windsong
    Great goals and welcome.

DeeDee
    Glass of water before snacking sounds like a great plan.

Patty
    You deserve it. Time for yourself. Sorry to hear hubby is not well.

There that's as caught up as I have time.
    Going to see to today being a good day.
    Even though there was food to feed an army here yesterday. Guess I did ok because I was down what wii gave me up yesterday. So now it's to keep wii and me happy. Going down down down.

Going to see that today is a great day. But won't be putting my nose outside. It's -34 out there. No day to be out when it's nice and warm in here. Got my wii dance 2 back and going to be doing some of that shortly.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, I having some breakfast and getting my thoughts together for the day.

DeeDee- I have a for one, crock pot so I cook beans for myself all the time. Yes you can freeze them, only remember to label them, or you could get the cheesy pasta instead of the bean soup out. That's what I did a few days ago. Label it.

Michele- as a vegetrian does Dianna know what Doritos are fried in? Our DD played at being a vegetrian as a teenager, we let her, but I could see when we had roast or ribs she was thinking about it. She of course would eat shrimp.

Roxywa- I love my fitbit, hope you add steps to your day

Here are my Jan and 2013 goals very simple

Exercise a min of 30 minutes a day
    Limit gluten (wheat)
    Lose 5 lbs

2013 Goals
    Lose 50 lbs

Tigress
  • bbooperisfat
    bbooperisfat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HELP!! Calling for help from the midwest tundra! I don't want to weigh 3 pounds per inch anymore! Motivation (stalled) & emotional eating are my problems...well...we don't need ALL the details here...I could really use a support group, don't have one here...
    Sara Lea
  • Labluver17878
    Labluver17878 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to MFP. Today is day #1 for me. I am 52 years old and out of shape. I have decided this is the year I am going to do something for ME!! I am motivated and ready to start. My goals for January are to get started, start exercising regularly and lose 5 lbs..
  • veggiegramma
    veggiegramma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First day and first thread post, so Happy New Year!

I am 61 years old, about 100 lbs. overweight, and going through some personal life stresses, so definitely need some support.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: went to bed at 8PM got up at 3:45----walked dogs to do "business", ate breakfast, and will walk the dogs again for about 90 minutes then have tea with hubby before getting dressed to head off to be a line dance student for two hours, drive half and hour eating lunch as I drive and then teaching a two and half hour line dance class......it's gonna be a fun day with lots of calories burned and steps recorded on the pedometer.

:bigsmile: on another thread someone suggested that we sign our posts with our names (and last initial if your name is Linda :laugh: ) and where you live ( state, province, etc.) I like that......it helps me understand the part of the posts when people talk about how it's too cold to walk or how their exercise is cutting the grass....I hope some of you will start doing that.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

209940qfy499fhgm.png

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif[/
  • veggiegramma
    veggiegramma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OK, then. Janeen from Chicago IL.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies!

I was up and at ’em this morning with a vengeance! Must have been the “new” year feeling :laugh:. Woke up before the alarm, put on my workout gear without even thinking and did both my workout that I missed yesterday and my one scheduled for today. It’s supposed to be turning beautiful here again – sunny, not quite warm but warm enough to put on some clothes and get outside, so I’ll take a walk later today. I’m also starting a slightly more regimented diet plan for the next two months – a week of a so-called “metabolism kick-start,” then just regular healthy eating. It’s not really anything new or earthshattering, but I do like the way the food choices are in blocks I can mix and match at will. I’m having a smoothie for my first meal (1/2 scoop protein powder, a splash of orange juice and a handful of berries, then some ice and water), then I’ll have a veggie scramble a little later. It all feels so healthy :laugh:.

Welcome to all the new people! It’s fun to see the new faces and energy – keep coming back for support or with questions or whathaveyou.

Housegirl, isn’t it a great feeling when you’re getting your house in order, inside and out? That’s on my agenda today.

Tigress, you sound like you did well with your party and eating. Have fun swimming!

Viv, exactly! Time for a new start or a continuation – either way works.

DeeDee, yes, you can freeze the beans after you cook them. I’ve been doing like JB said and keeping a bunch in the fridge, then eating them with salsa. I know someone else who also suggested tossing them with some light Italian dressing for a bean salad. You can also mix them with some brown rice to give the protein an added “umph.” Basically, use them the way you would any grain or side dish. I always laugh when we talk about getting away from the computer . . . while we’re chatting on the computer :laugh:. I really am trying to make work a priority this year for me – not just work for pay but being productive in general, and that will mean forcing myself to have a set amount of time in front of the screen, and then no more. We’ll see how that goes. Enjoy those muffins!

Michele, I’ll have to look up Rebounder – I’ve not heard of it before. I take it Bryan lives overseas – and while I know it’s hard to accept change when you don’t know if it’s a good thing or not, try to be happy for your son. I’m sure she’s more than what she eats, so maybe you can try writing her a letter to get to know her better before you buy them anything? That way you’ll have a better idea if a visit is something they can undertake right now. I’m glad to hear about the review on MFP. I think journaling your food intake in general works well, but some calorie-counters are better than others, and I find MFP to be pretty user-friendly.

Gail, that’s terrific progress from the Y! Look at all you’ve done for the year. You managed to make it every other day to the Y, and look at all that weight lifted! Congratulations.

Sue, love the goals!

MsDover – congratulations on the birth of your grandson! I’ve not heard of a macular pucker but hope it does resolve itself soon. Good luck with your hip replacement – DH’s father had another one done this past year and it’s really helped a lot.

Eileen, congratulations on the NSV! That’s really great. Yes, yoga will help you so much. I can’t count the number of people (especially with back issues) who have started and found it to be so helpful – even men. You’ll be amazed at how flexible you’ll become. I don’t think the one I use will be a good beginner one – but I’ll ask around and let you know.

Jeannie, I’m so sorry to hear your year was the worst – I hope your new beginning brings happier times.

Kate, it sounds like work was terribly stressful – I can totally relate! I hope you can get some breathing room now. I LOVE The Holiday – and so does DH (I love a man who loves chick flicks :laugh:.) Your NYE sounds pretty perfect to me. Why are the stores opened? It seems to me NYD has generally been a day when some stores are open – not the case where you are? How exciting to go to Dublin! I went several years ago (during Mad Cow Disease days) for St. Patrick’s Day – it was very subdued but what a gorgeous place! I hope you get some sight-seeing in. The castles are amazing. I’m sure you’re going to look amazing in your evening gown too!

Liz, I hope you were hanging out with good “fiends.” :laugh:. Enjoy your new year!

Barbie – good heavens, what were you doing with a day that started at 1:45am? That sounds wicked. That’s a lot of classes you’ll be teaching – no worries about not getting enough exercise in :wink:.

CA1954, I hope you’ll find, as I have, that one baby step leads to another. I log in to MFP, post my food, see that I haven’t added exercise yet, do my exercises, see that it’s not that hard, put on a jacket at noon and go for a walk . . . and it just keeps building. Good work on pushing forward!

LindaS, I agree – I’ve seen a lot of motivating memes that are in line with the thinking that you can choose to do nothing today or do something; either way, you will still be here tomorrow, so wouldn’t you rather start now? You’re a great example of what someone can do with a little encouragement and support. Great inspiration!

Patty – wow, that does sound like an incredibly stressful and tough year. {{{hugs}}}. I hope you can find your way to start taking care of yourself. Good luck!

Sheila, this is a great place to find inspiration and support to keep working towards those goals. Keep coming back!

Lin, for protein you can add protein powder to just about anything – I have a big container of vanilla flavored that I can add to oatmeal, if you eat meat there’s always that (I don’t), there’s tofu – in fact, our Bon Apetite magazine has a recipe for a tofu scramble that uses tofu instead of eggs – high protein and no dairy. You can also add brown rice to beans to make a complete protein – and don’t discount the small amounts of protein found in other natural food sources. Brr – I don’t blame you for staying indoors! Have fun on the Wii.

Tigress, ah, here, I’ve lapped you lol. Your goals seem reasonable. Are you gluten-intolerant? I recognize the hypocrisy of my tortilla chip addiction and vegetarian diet. I’m OK with it :smile:.

Sara Lea, you will find lots of support here – and I love you light-hearted approach. I can see it will serve you well.

Barbie, I like the idea of a name and location, but some people who prefer to keep things a little private (as much as possible on the internet) may not want to . It’s OK either way.

OK, only took me two+ hours to get through the last few pages :smile:. Part of that is because work comes first, and today was the first day of our new live program, so I’m a little busy with questions. Anyway, my tummy is rumbling so I’m going to go make my egg scramble, and then we’ll see where the day takes me.

Cheers!

M. (from PA)
  • nannybird
    nannybird Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Just started reading this topic. Have been signed up here for quite some time. Was doing WW. Got tired of paying for it.

I really got off track during Christmas and New Years. I am 67 years old and want to lose about 40 lbs.

You sound like a great bunch of ladies. Will check back later.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Tigress
    Label all food for the freezer date and what it is. If not your liable to pull out anything but what you wanted.
    Simple but good goals.

Sara Lee
    Welcome and i'm sure you will find a lot of support in this +50 club

Lab luver
    Meaning you love labs. They are very smart dogs. Not the barkers that my two miniature dashounds are.
    5 lbs is very doable. Good luck.

Veggie gramma
    Welcome and hope you find a lot of support amoung us all.

Barbie
    You sure up and start your day early. Must be in bed by 7 pm.
    The pedometer sure don't mark all the dance steps. I just worked a good sweet in 20 min. and hardly nothing on pedometer. But i'm not going to let than rule my day.
    Barbie i'm in Northern Ontario Canada. And this morning it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
    -34 celsius. or 30 below farenheit.

Well did 20 min. of dance 2 on the wii worked a good sweat. Think i'll try that again this afternoon. Tonight is tops and it would be great to start the year of right.

Back in a bit
    Linda C from freezing Northern Ontario.
  • manon3
    manon3 Posts: 6
    Options
    Walked 31/2 miles this morning, feels great! So cold but so worth it!!
  • emtjab
    emtjab Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Brand new 54'er to MFP.....found it for my Kindle and then online.

I'm not setting resolutions this year. I'm setting goals. I like the word better and it implies something that can be broken and gone back to without viewing it negatively!

My fitness goal is to lose 40 lbs and walk more. I have other goals, like learning to knit cables and make more beads (lol), and some household upgrades (new stove!). I'm hoping losing 40 lbs will help me feel better, have more energy and get more done....I sleep too much now! lol

I'm always looking for folks to chat with and encourage each other and i'm very happy to have found this site!!!

Julie
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Gotta bump this for later. I NEED SOME FRIENDS!! :)
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Happy 2013!!

Welcome to all the newbies and returning friends...This is a fantastic group of ladies who support and encourage without judgement....

December goal review:

Continue structured exercise four times a week- Met this goal...I incorporated kettlebell workouts once a week :drinker:
    Find a yoga class or a drop in class to try- Met this goal- I found a Yoga center and did my first Hot Vinyasa Flow :devil:
    Continue daily logging- Was pretty good here; Some days I did not finish the day's food entries:blushing:
    8 glasses of water per day - Still having trouble with this one.....
    Maintain my weight for the month- I gained two pounds...:cry:
    Continue to pay it forward even in small ways- I achieved this... Bought gifts for two 17 year olds on bone marrow unit at Children's Hospital; sponsored a needy child at school and his mom

January Goals-

Structured exercise four times a week; try to increase to 45 minute sessions
    Weight training once week
    Yoga once week
    8 glasses water daily
    Lose the two pounds I gained over the holidays
    Continue to smile and pay it forward

Hope 2013 brings everyone health, peace and happiness.:flowerforyou:

Take care,
    Carolyn
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I got up and took the hummingbird feeders outside for our little friends the Annas hummingbirds. Baby it's cold out there, and they need some high energy juice to keep up their metabolisms. It is amazing that they've moved this far north year round. They're expanding their range.

We had black ice yesterday and I'm betting we still do. I had a nasty surprise when I hit my brakes and kept going. WE need to travel again today because dh visits the acupuncturist. She's done wonders to help him with his MS. So has losing a few pounds. I'm grateful that he and I are dieting together. It provides both of us encouragement and support.

Katla
    from NW Oregon
  • spacreek13
    Options
    Hello, New to this site and over 50. What does "bump" mean
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year all!

Thank you for sharing your stories, hopes, dreams, frustrations and inspirations here. It’s an inspiration for me.

I had a “cheese fest” last night after logging off & that completely ruined my day, nutritionally speaking. Sigh. My new book “Thinner This Year” talks about the dangers of eating “solid fats”. Whew, I can feel that cheese weighing me down.

“Exercise more, eat less.” That’s the message in the introduction to the book “Thinner This Year” – it’s by the same folks who wrote “Younger Next Year” but focuses more on nutrition. I downloaded it this morning and I am looking forward to it as an inspiration to stay on track.

Lila, Your sushi looks fantastic! I love sushi and always pick some up when I’m in Nelson.

Robin, I hope you’re feeling better.

Congratulations, Rebel, on loosing during December. That’s a great motivator for the new year!

DeeDee, “Something to laugh at every day!” What a great goal.

Linda/Sundance: “A year from now you’ll wish you had started today.” How true.

High ho, must go off and live up to my own expectations. A trip to the gym to start the year off right, then a trip to the dentist (just a check & clean). The rest of the day will be spent putting away the last of the decorations and playing with some of my Christmas toys. I got a dandy new camera bag, so I am going to move all the gear into it and take some photos.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy from SE British Columbia

January goals:

Lift weights 3 times a week.
    30 minutes of exercise every day – keep a spreadsheet.
    Connect to my family (emails once a week to parents & sisters)

“Connect” is my word for 2013. I will try to make a new connection each month (this is inspired by The Happiness Project)
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good morning all and happy new year. This has been a busy place already!! Just marking my spot for now....just getting home from a new years visit with a friend, and company is arriving this afternoon for a couple of days! Must get ready......beds, food, cleaning? Enjoy today
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Happy New Years Everyone! I visited this board months ago and since have been terrible. I hope to be back regularly because these women are so motivational! Thanks Barbi for keeping this going!