The best type of cereal for weight loss

I'm a really picky eater and I have a hard time finding good foods for me to eat. I've been branching out and trying new cereal and have discovered that I do like a lot more than I used to. I'm just curious which cereals are the best for losing weight fast.

I have tried and liked:
Rice Krispy (My room mate bought several boxes of these so she could make rice krispie treats for Christmas but ran out of time so now I'm eating it for breakfast)
Multigrain cheerios
honey-nut cheerios
Corn Checks
Rice Checks (I tried this one a long time ago and I think I liked it....)
Berry Kix (I don't really like the regular kix but I put this in here just for comparison sake. Where I live, this cereal is hard to find.)

Which of these cereals would be better for me to eat? I would like to have a couple of options because I will get sick of the cereal after a while. If you have some suggestions for me to try as well, I am open to that.

Thank you!

Replies

• Fiber one. The nutty clusters are quite tastey.

Also Special K Protein cereal.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Which ever ones fit best in your macros with all the other food you eat throughout the day.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    I always eat multigrain cheerios, it's filling, and it fits in my calorie goal.
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Peanut butter cheerios, raisin bran and total raisin bran
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Personally I think that a serving of cereal is fine. You need to use a food scale. After watching biggest loser they promote multi-grain cherrios. I personally like to have Blueberry Muffin Mini Wheat bites because they are high in fiber and you can count the biscuits especially when I'm in a hurry.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Cereal doesn't have staying power for me, I'm usually starving soon after eating. I'd look for something low in sugar, high in protein and fiber.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    The only thing I look for when I buy cereal is that it has 5 or more grams of fibre and 5 or less grams of sugar.

ETA: Except for when I want Lucky Charms....then I just eat those.
  • dellis83
    dellis83 Posts: 20 Member
    From a pure nutrition standpoint, Kashi original go lean is amazing. High fiber and protein. It keeps me full a really long time. Doesn't taste amazing, but I put in a little dark chocolate/almond and diced apples and that helps the taste without ruining the nutrition of it.

The other Kashi varieties are still pretty good from a nutrional standpoint and taste better: I like the honey almond flax clusters.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    The ones that leave you in a caloric deficit. :smile:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member

Peanut butter cheerios??? Wherever you live, I'm moving there!
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 152 Member

Peanut butter cheerios??? Wherever you live, I'm moving there!
    They are AMAZING!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Which ever ones fit best in your macros with all the other food you eat throughout the day.

This.

I personally prefer Lucky Charms :love:
  • katyparish
    katyparish Posts: 16 Member
    I would suggest trying to cut out cereal and replacing it with a high protein, low carb option like scrambled eggs. I have found that when I eat carbs in the morning, particularly cereal, I am famished a couple of hours later. I read this really interesting book, "wheat belly" what talks about how wheat is an appetite stimulant and actually makes us MORE hungry because it spikes our blood sugar. After reading it I gave up carbs for breakfast and have had SOOOO much more energy during the day. For sure, if you love your cereal in the morning, keep on keeping on, but you might want to try swapping it for something else for a week to see what happens. :)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Weight loss is a function of energy in versus energy out, not cereal, really.

You will likely find longer satiety with lower-sugar/lower glycemic index foods.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch
  • appledrop
    appledrop Posts: 1 Member
    How about oatmeal since everything else is processed/full of sugar/full of junk you don't need.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    From personal experience - none. Starting the day with a big load of nearly protein & fat free carbs was the #1 thing keeping me fat.

If breakfast doesn't have more fat/protein then carbs, even signifcantly so, then I don't eat it as a habit. Today's example: P42+F6 = 48. C=40.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    only the ones that have more fiber than sugar. Better off having eggs and bacon.
  • I'm a mini wheats girl - I would marry mini wheats if I could. :o) But it's one of those once a week indulgences.

I say avoid all Special K. I took some Kelloggs Special K down to the ducks at the duck pond because the cereal was stale - ducks nibbled them a bit then ran into the water & started drinking water like mad. Probably very high in sodium. I don't know what they'd do with mini wheats - there's never any left over to try!
  • All monopoly brands of cereal such as Post, General Mills, Kellogg's, etc use refined flours & they have a chemical agent called BHA & BHT. Research it.. you will think twice about buying cereals like that again. Stick to Jordan's Morning Crisp organic cereals & Nature's Path. I prefer Nature's Path as they promote GMO-free.

Link to what BHA/BHT does to your body:
    http://itoldyouiwassick.info/2011/01/17/your-breakfast-cereal-is-killing-you/

Video of proof that metallic iron fibers are found in all non-organic cereals on the shelves today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj3Mu2xPNXc