What is your favorite frozen healthy food?

Options

Replies

• 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I cook extra and freeze portions to have when I want something fast and convenient. This way, I know it's healthy, has the macro nutrients I want and isn't loaded with sodium. I use a FoodSaver and I love it. I do purchase unprepared frozen raw fish (have to watch the package for sodium content though) and veggies. When I read the ingredients of most frozen prepared food, it doesn't look like a heathy option for me, especially the sodium content.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    I agree with you 100% when I implied "healthy frozen food" I was implying food that is better for you than other frozen food that is loaded in calories.

I actually recommend making your own frozen meals. Sounds a bit silly, but I keep the plastic containers my Chinese take-away comes in, fill with cooked protein/veggies and then reheat as needed. You can control everything that is included (broccoli, chicken + chipotle tabasco is my FAVORITE combination), including sodium content. :)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas and grapes.
  • moxleye
    moxleye Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am amazed at all the people with judging attitudes all because I asked what healthy frozen food do you like.

Really I came to this site because we all have one thing in common that is we want to be healthy. Obviously what I eat and how I exercise is working for me or I wouldn't have lost 45 pounds since August.

I have been judged my whole life due to my weight issues. I will not be judged on my food choices when they are 100% better then my old food choices.

Keep your rude and judging comments to yourself.
  • moxleye
    Options
    So good!
  • moxleye
    Options
    Frozen bananas and grapes.

SO yummy
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Not sure how healthy, ...the Lean Cuisine Sesame Chicken and then I'll add some zucchini that I chop into thin sticks (julienne) sp?

and frozen bananas, grapes, pineapple and berries for my smoothies.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Gordon's Tilapia....my new fave. Both fillets equal 160 cal and 28g protein and very low carb. TOTAL WIN!!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I don't delude myself into thinking that a Lean Cuisine is the *best* choice, however I rarely cook and I believe that the Lean Cuisine is at least as 'good for me,' if not better, than eating a bunch of fast food. Far less calories and actually a lot less sodium as well. The Lean Cuisine meals I eat usually have 650 of less mg of sodium, which is actually less than a sandwich from Wendy's, also quite a few less calories. Shrug... Maybe it's not "healthy" to you, but it's definitely HEALTHIER than what I used to eat.
    [/quote]

Much better for you than a Big Mac I would assume. :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I like the Lean Cuisine Chicken in Peanut Sauce, and usually the pasta (ravioli, lasagna, etc) stuff is a safe bet too...(a lot of times the "meat" in those frozen meals is questionable at best).
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i love the green giant serving for one frozen veggies. i usually buy the ones with the weight watchers emblem on them.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    NICE! i will have to look for those
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    frozen spinach I guess
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like frozen fruit since it makes good smoothies.
  • bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Boca burgers;)
  • ninarosenblatt
    Options
    Its great to eat nothing but what you cook, but for those of who aren't perfect:

While most frozen meals are totally loaded with sodium, its not the worst thing to eat once in a while, especially as an alternative to getting delivery or take out. I often buy the Amy's stuff, or my favorite are the Indian meals from trader Joe's, they are under 400 calories and I kid you not, incredible Indian food.

I think Frozen vegetables are a great thing to keep in the house for those nights when the idea of prepping veg makes you want to call for pizza. I throw them into cooked food all the time, but frying up a bit of onion and garlic in olive oil then adding defrosted spinach is really good in a pinch, especially with a SMALL sprinkle of feta cheese.

I throw petite peas into everything! My favorite! I also love Frozen Wild Rice from Whole foods, I toss it in with my kale salads and its a great complex carb.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Frozen broccoli. My brother gave me a veggie steamer and we steam either broccoli or cauliflower every night of the week.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I like the Kashi and Amy's meals.

I think Amy's makes a verde enchilada that gives me the most bang for my buck. I also love the swiss chard and polenta one...it is surprisingly filling and lower sodium for the calorie intake.
  • jamiemh
    jamiemh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I buy the Perdue Perfect Portions (Italian is my fave) and freeze them. When I'm in a hurry I'll just grab a piece of tin foil and one of those, along with some sort of raw veggie (bag o salad, a tomato, celery sticks...whatever). This all works for me because I have the convenience of a toaster oven at work - I let the chicken thaw till lunchtime and then stick it on the tin foil and put it in the toaster oven for 25 min at 350. Not sure what kind of work kitchen appliances you have available, but this has been my healthy lazy go-to for a while. You could also probably microwave the chicken, but it might not be as flavorful.

that is such a great idea!!!
    I have to try this next week! :happy:
  • Mverdecia1
    Options
    Trader Joe's Chicken Tikka Masala! It is AMAZING and 300 calories. I have it for lunch often. :)