Fatism

Options

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it seems more socially acceptable to judge/tease/taunt/hurt/insult fat people than it is to be racist, homophobic etc ... at least in some parts of society. The Facebook post proves it.

My guess on why one is more socially acceptable is that race and sexual orientation are traits that people are born with. Being fat isn't.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The second hand smoke argument is really weak. Smokers can't smoke indoors in most places in the US (and it will be all places, eventually) and in lots of places are confined to designated outdoor smoking areas. If a person fears exposure to second hand smoke, they can simply stay away from those areas. There is very little health risk associated with one or two breaths of second hand smoke, diluted by open air, if you for some reason must walk by a designated smoking area. They're usually small enough areas that a person could choose to hold their breath as they pass. Second hand smoking risks are real when someone lives with a smoker who smokes indoors, or regularly rides in an enclosed car with them, not when you walk by outside. And the same allergy argument can be made about perfume.

I really don't see how shaming smokers and shaming the obese are different- both are heath concerns, made difficult to fix by a lifetime of poor choices, that make you sick in the long term. I know, there is a small percentage of people that are obese due to medical situations outside their direct control- but the vast majority of people ate their way to obesity. And certainly there are no medical conditions that turn someone in to a smoker, unless you consider that they may have started smoking when they were emotionally vulnerable teenagers as a result of peer pressure, and became addicted before realizing the harm they've done.

As far as public health- obesity does affect everyone, particularly with relation to insurance, as has been mentioned already.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

Being fat is NOT good. We should not encourage 'fat acceptance'. HOWEVER, we should not encourage people tearing downism either.

For frick's sake, when will we ever learn to respect our fellow human beings and to treat them with dignity and love? Call me a hippy but I can recognize that being overweight is unhealthy and yet not mock and ridicule those who ARE overweight.

Humanity makes me weep some days.
  • msmariah86
    Options
    I would prefer to talk to him about why I found it offensive and forgive him than to lose a friend.

He, and those who liked the post, represent a portion of society who think that kind of behaviour is ok. I don't think blocking them all would solve any issues.

He may not like fat people, but me destroying a friendship because I didn't like his attitude on one particular issue isn't really fair.

We disagree when it comes to politics, but he hasn't defriended me yet!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, but both are societal health concerns. Both cause my health care premiums to go up.

So does cancer, but you wouldn't mock someone who had it (i hope).

Someone that judgmental and cruel would not be on my friends list for long. A person's story is their own. If you don't know the entire story and are not involved in it, you have no right to comment on it.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I pose this question: why is it more acceptable to criticize people who smoke but not people who overeat?

Because people can die from second hand smoke. I never heard of anyone dying because I was fat.

Edited to correct spelling.

Well, technically, one could say that the inflated health care costs due to obesity could cause someone to die due to them not being able to afford insurance.

technically.

I'm in Canada. So it's a different perspective up here....we dont worry about not being able to afford insurance.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to talk to him about why I found it offensive and forgive him than to lose a friend.
    I wouldn't defriend him. I'd call him out on it in front of all those people who "liked" his post. Stir up a discussion where others can see what your point of view is. And if he ditches you over that, then he's not a real friend.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    we all make fun of people we don't like.

I make fun of people I do like. I love laughter. It's their fault if they get offended.
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

Being fat is NOT good. We should not encourage 'fat acceptance'. HOWEVER, we should not encourage people tearing downism either.

For frick's sake, when will we ever learn to respect our fellow human beings and to treat them with dignity and love? Call me a hippy but I can recognize that being overweight is unhealthy and yet not mock and ridicule those who ARE overweight.

Humanity makes me weep some days.

well said my friend.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    My sister and three friends went out one night and took photos with this guy who was a friend of a friend. Anyway short story long, my sister and her friends are all heavy. This guy is not. He posted the photo on FB. Well he received multiple comments from his friend-list all of them dissing and making fun of the ladies because of their size. One even called my sister Precious. Well I had to intercede and let some Mofo's have it. I think people like to join packs and be mean spirited. It's sad. The photo was taken down and then deleted.

Sad.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    What about, why are you starting this thread to complain about this in an environment where you're assuming people will agree with you? What good does that do?

Better to start the discussion somewhere that people actually need to think about it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I pose this question: why is it more acceptable to criticize people who smoke but not people who overeat?

Because people can die from second hand smoke. I never heard of anyone dying because I was fat.

Well, technically, one could say that the inflated health care costs due to obesity could cause someone to die due to them not being able to afford insurance.

technically.

I'm in Canada. So it's a different perspective up here....we dont worry about not being able to afford insurance.

Even if the money isn't an issue in Canada, you should be concerned with the healthcare system having to devote tons of resources to obesity-related healthcare. Your money by way of taxes is still paying for it, even if you don't see the differences on a personal level.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    This is coming from a fat guy who is now at 260 from a start of over 320+.

They are fat people who should not be eating that!

Let's be honest, there is no defense for being fat. The people who say they are OK with being that way are lying to themselves.

Seriously i agree, Ii used to say thick was in style to make myself feel better.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    http://www.helium.com/items/956906-smoking-on-airplanes-banned-yet-problems-persist?page=2

...I'm an ex smoker who usually gets really freakin' sick every time I fly now (usually long haul)...and I'm old enough to remember smoking on planes and have done so as well, never getting sick back then.
    Regarding the FB thing...unfriend the *kitten*...simple.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

technically.

Actually, it's those people who aren't wearing seat belts or who are diving into shallow water who are really going to drive up your healthcare costs. Just sayin'. :)

That's not true. Long term treatment of multiple health issues costs much more that one time trauma.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options

Because I don't have to inhale people's food when I walk by.

I think this needs to be said twice.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    other people's fat doesn't affect me-but their smoke can!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Oh really you haven't seen entire families of extremely obese kids even down to the 300 lb 10 year old.Think they all make the same choice on their own? No theyve been conditioned that way. Look at the southern half of the US where entire cities are obese. The entire culture of obesity is spreading like wild fire. It is becoming more and more acceptable to become and stay fat here. There needs to be some push back for change to happen. Not saying making fun of people is the right way to go but someone needs to make them look in the mirror and do something about it.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that is is NEVER right to be mean to people. Yes, fat is a choice, but it does not give someone the right to be rude and degrading. The day that a rude comment is made to someone may be the day that person decides enough is enough. It takes just as much effort to be nice as it does to be mean. Personally it's just one more way of bullying people, and we've seen how effective that is.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

technically.

You should, even more so, because you...(the collective "you", not you as an individual)...are paying for it, including those who make less-than-healthy decisions. While your healthcare may be universally available (and universally rationed), it is no more *free* than it is in the U.S.