I've noticed women who have high cal diets...how?

Options
How are you losing weight eating 1700 to 2100 cals a day? I mean not that I'm jealous or anything:sad:

Replies

• cbtyler1
    cbtyler1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Working out tons and eating to match your activity will make your metabolism soar. I found out the hard way ;)
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    There is also a group here eat more to weight less. I eat about 1700 cals a day and love it!
    Have a go at this calculator for your TDEE and BMR. The idea is to eat above your BMR and below your TDEE
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck :)
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My size. I can eat 1800 calories per day and lose weight. Heck, sometimes I eat 2000.

That will change once I'm smaller, of course.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's not just people with a lot to lose.... my BMR is about 1350 and my TDEE is 1800-1900. I'm currently at a weight that's right for me, and 23% body fat which is in the healthy range, and I'm trying to reduce body fat percentage a little and increase lean body mass, so I'm eating 1570 cals on deficit days (for fat loss) and 2150 cals on surplus days (for gaining lean body mass).

It's not only possible to still lose weight while eating a higher number of calories, it's actually healthier and more sustainable, i.e. you're more likely to be able to keep the fat off long term. Most women think that they can only succeed if they cut their calories super low... this is bad advice and frequently results in failure to stick to the diet because of feeling constantly hungry, and suffering side effects from eating too little like lack of energy etc, and it frequently leads to rebound fat gain. Aiming to lose more slowly, yet keep it off FOR LIFE is a far, far better strategy. Aiming to lose fat and improve health and body composition by doing more exercise while eating properly to sustain your body and fuel the exercise you're doing, but still eating a little less than you burn off so you can lose fat slowly and sustainably, leads to a fast metabolism (the kind that you're jealous of right? Well you can have a fast metabolism too, if you do this right)

Look up a thread that has "in place of a road map" in the title - I don't have the link or remember the exact title, but I'm hoping someone has the link and will post it on here, because that gives you detailed instructions for how to calculate your BMR (how many calories you need to sustain your body) and your TDEE (total number of calories you burn each day, i.e. BMR + exercise/activity calories) and you basically eat a number of calories that's higher than your BMR but lower than your TDEE, and you can lose weight fat and sustainably, without feeling like you're torturing yourself, and you're more likely to be able to keep it off in the long term, and keep your metabolism fast and end up with better body composition.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My size. I can eat 1800 calories per day and lose weight. Heck, sometimes I eat 2000.

You will be able to eat more.
  • livingdeadlifter
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights, and eating quality calories.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

My daily calorie goal is 1700 not counting exercise and yet I still lose weight even if I'm just maintaining right now. I'm just 5'2, 56kg (124 lbs.) and almost 34 years old.

Note; my ticker is very old & the last time i updated it was when I went down 53 kg last Feb 2012
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    For me, I still struggle to eat less at times. I'm kind of lazy with tracking extra bites here and there, and my weight loss may be slower than it is for others, but as long as the scale numbers and inches are going down, and I don't feel deprived or like I'm "dieting", I'm cool with it :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I lose on 2,000. I strength train. That's it really. Decent LBM helps.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I lose on 2,000. I strength train. That's it really. Decent LBM helps.
    Epic!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

There ya go!

Although, apparently I should follow my own advice. My BMR is 1453, but if I set that as my MFP goal (and of course, that's the minimum you should eat in the "eat more" plan) I would only lose 0.4 lbs/week... at the edge of an obese BMI, I find it hard to believe that the most I can safely lose is 0.4 lbs/week. So apparently I should re-read the link myself.
  • jereneyz
    jereneyz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always thought that I had to starve myself in order to lose weight. However, after many many years of failed attempts, I thought I'd give the "Eat more to weigh less" method a try. It is surprisingly good. I feel much better because I'm never starving, I have much more energy when I exercise, and I feel like this can finally be a permanent change in my life. My prior diets were severely restrictive, and can never be maintained for more than 8 weeks. Currently, I exercise about 600-800 cals 6 times a week. I eat about 1800. I maintain my daily intake at about 1000-1200 effective cal. It is important to note that the quality of calories matter. Instead of wasting calories on fried food, processed sugary stuff, white bread, spend it on raw almonds, fruits, vegetables, fish, greek yogurt. Not all calories are created equal. Granted, my weight loss is not significant, however I've already lost 5% body fat and counting.
  • cm99camper
    cm99camper Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh over 350 lbs... my body needs around 2 990 per day just to function. So I take off 500 cal to lose 1 lb.week, 1 000 cal to lose 2 lbs/week.

So right now I'm eating roughly 1 990 cal/day.

HOWEVER, once I'm smaller that number will change!
  • AnnabellKE
    AnnabellKE Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1. They know what their actual TDEE is through experience or prediction formulas.
    2. They do some form of regular exercise such as cardio, strength-training, or both which raises TDEE.
    3. They understand there is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in one day thus choose a suitable deficit.
    4. They eat the maximum amount of calories for steady fat loss instead of eating the minimum.

Exactly. That's me right there :)
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    1. They know what their actual TDEE is through experience or prediction formulas.
    2. They do some form of regular exercise such as cardio, strength-training, or both which raises TDEE.
    3. They understand there is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in one day thus choose a suitable deficit.
    4. They eat the maximum amount of calories for steady fat loss instead of eating the minimum.

Exactly. That's me right there :)

Me too! Glad we're friends Annabell haha! :bigsmile:
    I started off at 1200 but then "In place of a road map" guidelines and the nutrition guide in the New Rules of Lifting for Women helped me figure out a new plan and so upped my cals to 1650-1900. I love food!!!! :drinker:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

^This.

I learned with the help of the EM2WL group. The IPOARM group also offers advice on the same principles. I can lose fat while eating around 2500 as long as I weight train regularly and do some cardio (mostly just cycling and walking).
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I can eat 2400kcal + exercise calories to maintain and 2400kcal + no exercise calories to lose IF I am in my normal routine as a teacher. Right now I weigh about 130lb (5'5") but this is also true for me at lower weights.

I don't strength train (yet) or do very much intentional cardio, but I don't have a car and my fitbit normally shows a TDEE of 2100 or more. If I eat only my fitbit calories, I lose weight, so I think their are other elements too, such as just being a wriggly person, or perhaps some over-estimating of calories.

One of the best things about finding I can eat so much has been ending up friends with other women who eat, many of whom are very cool and very educated about exercise and nutrition :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.