What's in your Oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with water, a diced up apple and some raspberries. Some good ideas on new things to try, but peanut butter? Must be an American thing :)
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Oh...and i forgot ...in addition to cinnamon,a little butter and sweetner, I like to chop up turkey sausage links to put in it...
    i like the sweet and savory combination....I def want to try the peanut butter someone mentioned with maybe some banana or blueberry....
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I put oats in my egg white, cook in microwave use as a veggi burger
  • Mattinduck
    Options
    Made with water tsp cocoa and dark brown sugar sometimes Pb. Yum
  • lmataloni
    lmataloni Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been using the 5 minute steel cut oats made with water, bit of vanilla extract, lots of cinnamon, small diced apple with skin, SMALL handful of chopped walnuts, and a teaspoon (or two) of maple syrup. I decided the carbs in this breakfast were worth it becasue it really gets me through the morning. Sometimes I have a hard boiled egg or poached egg on the side for extra protein. Definitley ditch the butter...not worth it ...the vanilla adds some richness to the taste.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    bump
  • extremegardener
    Options
    I usually make it with water and add 1 T flax meal. Add milk to eat. Fruit if available and cinnamon.
  • lmataloni
    lmataloni Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    All great ideas - thanks!
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love butter and sugar in mine, but need a healthier way to eat it!
    Do you make it with water or milk or ??
    What do you put in it?

I LOVE oatmeal...I have tons of variations. I always cook it with water. Here are some mix-ins/combos I enjoy:

1 tbsp PB+ 1/2 TBSP honey + sliced banana

dried cranberries + maple syrup

raisins + brown sugar (or brown sugar splenda blend)

chopped apple + cinnamon + sugar (or splenda)

canned pumpkin + brown sugar + pumpkin pie spice

chocolate chips + 1 TBSP PB
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    water
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats made with unsweetened almond milk. Add dried cranberries and slivered almonds...YUUUUMMMM!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    i dont cook it! I mix mine with greek yogurt, almond butter, banana and protein powder, let sit in fridge overnight...delicisous the next morning!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened apple sauce and cinnamon.
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I normally put brown sugar and milk in my oatmeal. Recently my coworker turned me on to using honey instead of sugar. So this morning I added about three ounces of 2% milk to water and added honey and blueberries, it was soo yummy!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with water until it's really firm (can't stand it too runny), then I put a teaspoon or so of brown sugar in it, mix it up and then poor a little bit of cold milk over all of it. Yum! Not as healthy as some of the other mix ins listed, but that's how I've always had it.
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I cook steel cut oats in water and usually add cinnamon, a little brown sugar and raisins... or cinnamon, walnuts and banana.

Great thread with lots of ideas!
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a few craisins,and about 1 tbsp of slivered almonds. Also, once in a while, I chop up and apple and cook it in the oatmeal.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hot water, raisins or craisins, and a tablespoon of molasses or maple syrup. I just LOVE maple syrup... :heart:
  • emobarbie7
    Options
    Oat fit oatmeal.... 100 cal a pouch, absolutely AMAZING tasting and I have two pouches with 1/2 tbsp of diced walnuts...everyday for the past 6 months