Is a thigh gap possible?

Options

Replies

• Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    You can have mine if you want. I hate it and think it looks weird. I have wide hips and small thighs and I am not skinny. I weigh 144lbs and I am 5'6 my measurements are 36-25-36 so no you don't have to be super skinny. Why do I have a thigh gap? Genetics and the right body shape and fat percent. If you don't have the body for it you will have to resort to unhealthy measures to achieve one. I find it sad that the thigh gap came about through young naive teen girls and thinspo sites promoting anorexia and bulemia yet grown women are idealizing it too.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Having a thigh gap and wearing a skirt gives you a nice breeze around the privates.
  • N0lanator
    Options
    Everyones asking why I want one, I just think they look nice! I hate my thighs touching
  • iamthecatsass
    Options
    I blame yoga pants for this obsession.
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    vYAya.jpg

I love this!
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why women are so worried about this stuff. I just had a conversation about this with my friend who just got a tummy tuck and boob job. And now she hates that her thighs touch, she hats the little tiny "fat roll" in front of her arms when wearing a tank top, the tiny little roll on her back when she bends a certain way.

Embrace your body. Absolutely no offense here, it's not like I go around judging people's thigh gap, but if I notice, which I don't think I ever really do, I think it looks funny. I love my body, my arms are a little loose, my thighs touch, I've got a little armpit roll, my stomach is not flat, but I'm me and I love it :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think it's only possible if a) you have wide hips, as many posters have already mentioned, and b) if you have virtually no fat OR muscle. Muscle is more compact than fat, but there's a reason a bodybuilder's thigh can be the same circumference as a heavyset thigh. I used to concern myself with the trivial pursuits of thigh gaps, but honestly, my thigh muscles will never allow it and I always get complimented on my legs anyway! Focus on the big picture, not the little details.

how many times do i have to say that this is false? are people just skipping my posts?

i have big thighs AND thigh gap. you just need wide hips.

I'm the same-- I'm 130 lbs (5'4") with large thighs and I recently developed one. I wouldn't have even noticed if I didn't see it constantly here on MFP. I think what's happening is that people want to discourage women from actively seeking this out (with good reason), so they go too far in the other direction and call thigh gaps "gross" or evidence of starvation. It is a bit irritating to me since I didn't try to get mine, it's just the way my body is, but *shrug*.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    vYAya.jpg

Also this. :laugh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    tumblr_luk0k27dMe1r1yjb0o1_500.jpg

marilyn monroe? that's a terrible example that i keep seeing on facebook. pretty sure that the men who adored her are either dead now or like 90.

I'll see your 90 and lower you, like, a 41.

And most blokes I know are the same.

I find a 'skinny' woman interesting (only if combined with a healthy person and outlook) but not necessarily sexy.

But I'm, like, 41 so what do I know? ;)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Okay so I am 5ft 2.5 a UK size 8 thats a US size 6 I think... anyway. I am a banana body shape/straight as my measurements are
    bust- 34 in
    waist 27 in
    hips 35 in
    When I put my feet together my thighs touch :( And I hate it! Is it at all possible for me to attain a thigh gap? I dont have very wide hips so if not then I could understand why, and if yes, then how would I get one? What type of exercises do I need to do? :)

Your profile says you want to be perfect: given you started at a healthy weight for your height arguably you already are. Getting a thigh gap that is not natural to you is not becoming 'perfect' it's trying to emulate models that are either underweight or have too low a body fat. They chronically undereat to stay that way and often there is airbrushing involved..

Once you go to university in September you will hopefully have more important and fun things to do than worry about a little pocket of feminine fat that nobody can see or care about but you, and too busy to read silly teenage magazines. If you prioritise that over your time at university you are bordering on an eating disorder. Anyone that wants to have bedroom fun with you will likely appreciate you look like a slim young woman and not a prepubescent child.
  • WelshMaid
    Options
    i have thighs like a rugby player,it ain't gonna change however much i diet/tone up.

and my hubby is 43 and adores marilyn monroe,but he is middle aged ;-)
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    tumblr_luk0k27dMe1r1yjb0o1_500.jpg

marilyn monroe? that's a terrible example that i keep seeing on facebook. pretty sure that the men who adored her are either dead now or like 90.

I'll see your 90 and lower you, like, a 41.

And most blokes I know are the same.

I find a 'skinny' woman interesting (only if combined with a healthy person and outlook) but not necessarily sexy.

But I'm, like, 41 so what do I know? ;)

:)
  • justforeva
    Options
    i have a thigh gap, but it all depends on how wide your hip bones are!
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Of course rickets will give you a nice bow-legged stance that will give you a feet together thigh gap...
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    as a ruler shape i'd have to say no. your hips are too slim

when i was at my smallest my hips were 35" and my upper thighs were 20" each. obviously 40" is greater than 35" and i had very little fat to spare.

what's the big deal about a thigh gap anyway? are you trying to hide stuff there or something? you can get a purse or use pockets, you know

this so made my day :laugh: :laugh:
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with my bum and I have rather narrow hips and am hour glass, but I always think that my thighs look huge, thunderous even and really unattractive.

I never vocalise it though, because I always want slender thighs (and I remember at school most girls would comment how mine didn't have a gap and therefore showed how huge my thighs were) but knew it was impossible because of my build and the fact that I run a lot, do triathlons and weights.

But to my surprise, my fiance (and people I had dated before him) had always commented about how much he loves my thighs because they are strong, shapely and sexy......
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I blame yoga pants for this obsession.

and skinny jeans ....
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of the thigh gap being coveted except in the eating disorder community until I read about it on here. But just the other day I was listening to my satellite radio, and one of the DJs was engaging in his typical a$sholish (but USUALLY hilarious) commentary, and was saying, "Ladies! The thigh gap is so in for 2013! You need to get to work on slimming those thighs!" And I am just thinking, seriously, WTF? So this is REALLY a thing now? Dude.
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mg5tn2V2VU1rargnxo1_500.png
  • juliehall73932
    Options
    I weigh 112, am 5'3" and my hips are 33" wide. I also don't have a thigh gap, but would like one. Since I regularly exercise and am in good shape, I don't think it's possible. My hips are so narrow that I had to have a C-Section when my daughter was born.