A Sad Realization.

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    body-fat-percentages.jpg

according to this you're in the fitness range. not sure why that is considered bad.

That's a good chart. There are some other ones that say different numbers. To post pics you type link but IMG has to be lower case "img"

thanks. couldn't figure out how to do that.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Some muscle loss is inevitable. Building muscle while difficult is fun.
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The first time I weighed myself at my heaviest, I was 180lbs, 35%bf.

I lost the weight, but I did it the stupid way - cardio, cardio, cardio, more cardio, and eating - total, not net - between 500 and 1500 calories per day, depending on how idiotic I was being at the time.

Current stats - 117 pounds, 23%bf.

This means I went from having 117lbs of lean mass to having just 90. I lost 27 pounds of muscle being an idiot.

Now I have the difficult task ahead of putting muscle back on, when it probably would have been 1000 times easier to preserve what I had and lose the fat more slowly and sensibly.

Take this as a cautionary tale. If you lose weight stupidly, it doesn't matter how much you lose, you won't look good naked, you won't be strong, and you'll have a hell of a lot more work ahead of you after reaching your goal weight once you realize that you are a pathetic pile of skinny-fat squish.
    Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that cardio alone isn't enough to lose weight and keep it off? How much lifting is considered enough?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I waited too long to start strength training and lost some muscle as well.

Hey, stuff happens. Make adjustments and train hard or feel sorry for yourself and do nothing (losing even more lean mass).
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Forget the past.
    It's DONE!
    Just start working now on the body you want, and enjoy the journey as you engage the right actions to reach all your health and fitness goals. In time you will look on this whole episode and be thankful for the strength you gained in character.
    All Is Possible :flowerforyou:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I just recently started lifting, myself. Seems like I have a long way to go before I have the muscles I want. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It is definitely tough to gain back, but personally.. I think if you had enough determination and grit to go from 180lbs all the way to 117lbs the cardio/light eating way, you most certainly can get some muscle put back on!

^^^this!!! You can do it. Throw the scale away and focus on how much better your body looks month after month of weight training.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I wish my husband would read this thread. He is down 50 pounds (around 163) and he looks GREAT, in clothes. He says he can't stand how he looks naked and he doesn't know what to do. People are cautioning him not to lose much more or even any more weight because he is starting to look too thin. He wants to go for 10 more pounds in hopes that he will lose all the belly fat. My husband is VERY stubborn though, sometimes to a fault, and he THINKS he knows this or that and doesn't like to research things or try things out. For instance, I just went through and did all the calculations on my BMR and TDEE to set my calorie intake correctly... I was feeling LOW ENERGY and OVERLY TIRED all the time on 1200/day. Come to find out, my BMR is just under 1400 and my TDEE is 2100... based on my calculations I should be eating about 1600/day, but of course I'm afraid to go up to that level from 1200 so I've baby stepped my way up to 1400.... time will tell...

Anyhow...
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • shaynooth
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Anyone have tips for maintaining muscle?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The first time I weighed myself at my heaviest, I was 180lbs, 35%bf.

I lost the weight, but I did it the stupid way - cardio, cardio, cardio, more cardio, and eating - total, not net - between 500 and 1500 calories per day, depending on how idiotic I was being at the time.

Current stats - 117 pounds, 23%bf.

This means I went from having 117lbs of lean mass to having just 90. I lost 27 pounds of muscle being an idiot.

Now I have the difficult task ahead of putting muscle back on, when it probably would have been 1000 times easier to preserve what I had and lose the fat more slowly and sensibly.

Take this as a cautionary tale. If you lose weight stupidly, it doesn't matter how much you lose, you won't look good naked, you won't be strong, and you'll have a hell of a lot more work ahead of you after reaching your goal weight once you realize that you are a pathetic pile of skinny-fat squish.

I did the same thing to myself a number of years ago---and because I did not exercise or lift weights, I never gained the muscle back. But I sure did gain fat! And along with the loss of LBM, (and the gain in body fat) came a host of illnesses, which I just this last year started to reverse. Yes, you can bring your body fat, blood pressure and blood sugar down without medication and you can arrest your arthritis with diet, exercise and herbs. But it is better not to go there in the first place. Please folks, lose body fat in a smart and healthy way. I was fortunate to get the right info at the right time and it has not been too late for me to regain my health. Not everyone is so fortunate.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think we all get to where we need individually. There are lots of posts about people being frustrated as they lift and try to lose weight at the same time.

I went with cardio (mostly walking) to get to my goal weight. 2013 is the year I will build strength. I am inching up the calories as I add more exercise.

It is a good thing to share OP!
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I truly hope others that are netting well below their BMR will read this and take heed. I don't really understand it, but it seems to be pretty common, particularly with women.

Net between your BMR and TDEE people and you will lose...if you're doing a gagillion hours of cardio, you really are going to need a lot more food to lose weight in a healthy way and protein, protein, protein to preserve that lean muscle.

^^ This. Stay between your BMR and TDEE. Find programs that concentrate on lean, flexible muscles so you can get the definition without bulking up (unless thats what you want to do).

Feel free to add me if you want motivation and support. I do the above and, for me, it seems to work.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Anyone have tips for maintaining muscle?

For one, you can substitute rye for wheat in your diet. Rye has a better "muscle sparing effect" than does wheat and it is VERY filling---it has a type of fiber that fills you up for a long time. I eat 100% organic rye bread and one piece (along with my eggs in the morning) keeps me going for hours--I have to make myself eat lunch.

Don't eat too much protein (when you are gagging on protein---you are eating too much). Here is a webpage that speaks to the issue of too much protein. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-how-much-protein-is-too-much.html

The article states: "We typically oversimplify protein, thinking it will always go toward growth. It actually does more than drive protein synthesis and provide amino acids for building muscle. Once those needs have been met, your body will actually break down and oxidize protein for energy. You don't necessarily want to be a protein oxidizer. You don't want to train your body to break down protein (dietary or muscle) and use it for energy. Just as switching from a high- to low-carbohydrate diet causes your body to increase the enzymes that burn fat as fuel, eating protein far beyond your body's ability to build muscle with it will cause increases in the enzymes that oxidize protein (both dietary and muscular) for energy."

Also, drink unsweetened green tea (it tastes better with a squeeze of lemon or blended with peppermint tea). The health benefits are extraordinary. It has a number of substances called monomeric polyphenols (Catechins, Epicatechins & Epigallocatechins) which will actually help your body to repair any damage. And anything that makes you healthier will help to preserve your muscle. The lemon juice (rich in citric acid) will help you to better absorb the good stuff from the green tea. :smile:
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of astory I once read. This story helped me change my ways before I got down in weight. Hope you enjoy the link.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    also, before you gained the weight in the first place were you actually a lower body fat percentage than you are now? this is assuming you were 117 pounds at some point in the past. i'm not completely convinced that you did any real damage.

Let me try to explain this for you and anyone else who isn't quite understanding why this is a big deal =)

Starting 180lbs, 35%bf
    Current 117 pounds, 23%bf.

180*.65=117
    117*.77=90

117-90= 27 lbs of LBM

A very dedicated woman can build maybe .5lb of muscle every month. so 27/.5=54 months or 4.5 years before she can rebuild her lost muscle. Of course a lot of times newbie gains can offset a bit of this, but it's still a very long time. If used a time machine and lost the same amount of fat (180-117=63 total loss 63-27=36 lbs of fat lost.) at a slow and steady but reasonable rate of .5lb/week she would have been at the same result in 72 weeks or about 1 year 5 months.

OP mistakes happen. Even big mistakes. Learning is part of life. How many people "waste" years"on a degree then go back to school for something different. Or waste years in a bad relationship. I wasted years smoking. It'll take a lot longer than 4.5 years to erase most of THAT damage. It's great that you've realized how to change your situation, and are taking steps to fix it. Good luck.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    This reminds me of astory I once read. This story helped me change my ways before I got down in weight. Hope you enjoy the link.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Thanks for the story--a real inspiration!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    oh and 23% body fat is fine for a woman.
    Yeah I agree with this^ your BF is fine
    OP sorry you are unhappy with your results. It does sound like you were eating very low calorie-wise. But the past is the past and you did lose a ton of weight so congrats about that.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Your story sounds much like the beginning of this inspirational tale, which I've seen linked elsewhere in the forums. She is where I'd love to get to, and her story might offer you some hope too. :)

A great and inspirational story of how one woman went from pudgy (170 lbs.) to skinny (117, I think) to a "lean mean weight-lifting machine" (142 pounds). She DEFINITELY looks better at 142 than she did at 117. Health is beauty.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The point is, you know this now so you can incorporate weights into your workout. Increase your protein intact as you strength train and you will be amazed how much muscle you pack on. I do 20 min of cardio in the am and 30 min of weights at night. I love seeing muscle under my fatty areas lol. I know when I stop being a fat butt, the muscle will show.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It's done. You know what to do. Go do it.

Get a balance of cardio and heaby lifting on alternating days. Set your macros. Eat a sane amount of calories. And be patient and persistent.

6 months later you will be that much further along in your fitness goals. And that is what they should be. Fitness goals, not scale goals.