I see myself as thinner than I really am!

Options

Replies

• travelistadiva
    travelistadiva Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until I saw a picture of myself taken with three other people and I looked like a meatball with legs.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a positive self image which could be a big plus for you!

I, however, have the opposite problem. I look in the mirror, and still see an obese woman. I was talking to my husband last week and told him I only had to lose 20 more pounds. I was pretty proud. He practically yelled at me, "No you don't, you are skinny enough"! I was shocked! He was serious!

Congratulations on your positive self image. I think it will really help you.
  • SoulReckoning
    SoulReckoning Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem too. In pictures or the mirror by myself I don't look hideous by any means...but put me next to some of my friends...and I'm a freaking GIANT! I'm huge everywhere compared to them. My head, face, neck, arms, legs, & middle all look huge compared to theirs. They must be smaller than petit and I am most definately big boned. It's weird. Next to my husband, (he's tall) I just look a little overweight in the face and the middle...but put us both next to our friends, and again we are magnormous! When it comes to pictures and mirrors, it's all relative to the other objects. But in general, I think it's mostly the wonder of genetics. Height and bone structure are obvously big roles in how our body's look compared to others. It's frustrating, I know. But all we can do is work to become our most acheivable weight.
  • hendersonrusti
    hendersonrusti Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! I do this all the time. I look in the mirror and think I am looking better, then I see a picture of myself and think...WTH??? Who is that? I wonder "Is this what everyone else is seeing?" I am happy to know that I am not alone in this. Thanks for sharing.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I hate pictures VS mirror....... = / I look better in pictures I take than in real life...it sucks.

SAME here!! I am good at taking nice pictures of myself...I know what my good side is and will only take pictures from that side of my face. When its a full body, I stand behind or next to someone and prop my hands on my hips and SUCK it in!! LMAOOOOO
    My profile pic is flattering...but thats also sucking in the 2nd chin LOL
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. When I was really big I always thought I was about 30 lbs lighter. After I lost weight I became the opposite, I feel like im about 100 pounds bigger than I really am.

This. 100 times this.

'Not that bad' when I was obese. And now every time I look in a mirror, all I see is fat even though I'm in a 'normal' range for body-weight. You can't win!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Me too! I always think I look okay. Watching Biggest loser last night, I kept thinking, "That chick weighs less than me, but I think I look waaaaaay better." Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the confidence can go a long way. My photos aren't spectacular, and I don't think it's denial, but I think I'd rather be confident at each size as I lose weight than thinking I look awful all the time!!!
  • FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem myself. For me, it's because I've normally been a size 4 until about 5 years ago, when I ballooned up a few sizes more. Nearly back down there to my "normal" weight but in my mind I've been a size 4 the whole time. Of course in my mind I also think I'm 5'10". (I'm 5'-3"!)
  • jessicareesebailey
    Options
    I have the same problem.. Good for self esteem but bad in reality. :p
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until I saw a picture of myself taken with three other people and I looked like a meatball with legs.

LMAOOOO OMG i know exactly what you mean!! thanks for sharing!
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem... I used to be a UK size 14-16 and now I am a size 8-10. However, I still feel and think that I am as big as I was before. When I look in the mirror all I see is flab and fat bits poking out, my huge tummy, thunder thighs, etc. I hide from mirrors, deliberately don't go near them because of this.

However, whenever I see a picture of myself or catch myself in a shop window I do a double-take. I look so much thinner in photos and in 'real life' than I see in the mirror. I got called a 'skinny wench' the other day, and someone else the day before mentioned how 'tiny' I was. I just don't see it!
  • FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a very healthy way to view yourself. I like it.
    Me too! I always think I look okay. Watching Biggest loser last night, I kept thinking, "That chick weighs less than me, but I think I look waaaaaay better." Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the confidence can go a long way. My photos aren't spectacular, and I don't think it's denial, but I think I'd rather be confident at each size as I lose weight than thinking I look awful all the time!!!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've done the same. I really think some mirrors are made to make you look thinner. I've looked in my wall mirror at my room, and at my bed, and it really does make the frame of my bed look more narrow than it actually does.

And I also agree that pictures depend on who all is in them. A full body picture by myself or with other larger friends, I still look really big, but not like, stop and stare in Walmart enormous. But then if I'm next to a thin person, especially a petite person, it's just baaaaad.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight, I'd look in the mirror and think to myself, "Oh it's not THAT bad!" I was lying to myself for sure. Now that I'm actually in decent shape, it's the opposite. I look in the mirror and get pissed at myself and tell myself I need to work harder. We'll never be happy. Being human blows.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I all of a sudden stopped getting in photos (realized at 236 pounds) I always saw myself as ok in the mirror. When I look back and the very limited number of photos of me, I am shocked that I allowed myself to get so big. If I had not stopped getting in photos maybe I would have realized that my self image was way off. I always said I would not allow myself to get obese, yet there I was thinking I looked ok in the mirror while everyone else was thinking wow she has gained a lot of weight! Luckily I realized that this was happening and MFP and my friends and family are helping me get a better self image, I can't wait to actually look like I have always thought I looked!

Thank you for starting this thread, I really needed to know I wasn't the only one!
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I see myself way bigger than I am. good luck to you
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This thread is interesting. I have a different issue - I forget how old or fat I am, until I look in the mirror! I have avoided pictures my whole life - it is amazing the events I have been at that there is no documentation because I managed to duck the picture taking portion! LOL But when I see one, I am never happy!!! I never had an issue with the mirror before I got obese - I could see past the fat to the beautiful girl I was. But, as I have embarked on this journey to a healthier lifestyle, I also realized that there is only one mirror in my home that is full length (bathroom), and I usually hang my robe above it so even then I can ignore the evidence. LOL My goal is get to a point where I can hang a few more in my house & not all at my 6"3 son's eye level!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I know I'm heavy, but I don't see it in the mirror. :noway: My knees are killing me and I can't really exercise, so I am trying to watch what I eat. It's hard...

Get a bike or a membership to a gym with pool!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I yo-yo between liking how I look and hating my body, the mirror doesn't lie but I think my mind does to keep me from being depressed about my weight and appearance.
  • krbuza
    krbuza Posts: 4
    Options
    I think the camera captures some quality that we miss in the mirror. I do not know how this is, but I know that it is. I have been thinking that I should have regular photos taken so that I can see myself as I truly am rather than as I am in the mirror. Maybe it is all about the juxtapostioning in photos that is laking in the mirror: i.e., in the mirror we are alone, in the photos we are with others.

Anyway, regular photos would be that true reminder of size that is laking in the mirror (and even on the scale).