I'm tired of unhealthy people making excuses

Options

Replies

• serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of stupid people making blanket statements.

nice that you're calling me stupid. grow up
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think most of us are here because we've already admitted that to ourselves >____>

yeah, but what about all of the people who aren't here making excuses? drives me bonkers! I have family members that fit that description perfectly.

Meh, more people to trip and use as bait during the zombie apocolypse.
  • serapi
    Options
    I think most of us are here because we've already admitted that to ourselves >____>

yeah, but what about all of the people who aren't here making excuses? drives me bonkers! I have family members that fit that description perfectly.

Meh, more people to trip and use as bait during the zombie apocolypse.

Walking Dead comes back next month. Can't wait.
  • glittersupernova
    glittersupernova Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sadly, we live in a world where there are a lot of perceived "quick fixes" to our problems; especially those related to our health. There is a pill or a surgery, etc. People have been trained by the media and even health professionals to believe that their first (and sometimes Only) option is the quick fix. I think that some quick fixes are necessary in emergency situations; however, we need to start learning/being taught that a lot long-term successes also come with hard work and dedication.

Health is not something maintained by transient means. Maintenance of good health is a lifelong commitment. A lot of people just don't understand that, and I can't blame them Entirely as we've been spoon-fed quick fix info for years.

Whenever I hear a discouraged friend talk about their diet problems/"failures", I do my best to maintain a supportive and encouraging attitude. I allow myself to be a positive role model for them; not only by rooting them on--but by showing them my own progress. I show them that hard work does and Can pay off! Sometimes people need that constant reminder...not by words but by vision.

Rather than spend my energy getting frustrated with any sort of unmotivated person, I see what I can do to encourage them without compromising my own needs/happiness.
  • no1belongs
    Options
    I can understand where OP is coming from. My sister is morbidly obese and she's NOT happy. It's very sad. And im not sure why she hasn't had her aha moment yet. she has diabetes, her hair is falling out, she has gout, she has sleep apnea, and she's not even 40 yet! Her weight issues make her super defensive and she comes off as a *****. Then she complains to me about her weight. So when I call her out on her bad habits I can almost hear her digging her heels in. I don't know how to help her anymore.

this is one of those you can lead a horse to water issue. I know i am over weight and i know i have to deal with this i can only do it now because i choose to do it for me. until your sister does that you cant do anything except give her the tools. if you were over weight maybe see if you cant get together and work out? if she wants or just have her log her food in a journal pen and paper so she can actually see. i know its hard to watch someone hurt themselves when they can get better but you cant get them too. Maybe show her that it took you however long to get to where you are now etc. when you point things out try not to judge maybe that is what she having issues with. I dont know im not her or in your family but try these maybe you can change her mind set. hope it helps ^_^

TO everyone else :
    People will be ready when they are ready if they bother you ignore them or be matter of fact dont complain unless you can show me your trying.

Thanks for the kind words. And it's more frustration on my part than being judgmental. I'm not "tired" of her excuses. more like i see them for what they are and I just wish she would be honest with herself. I didn't have weight issues growing up. I've only recently joined MFP to get healthier after having my second kid. I suspect this is one of her reasons for her unwillingness to hear me. She's sorta like "You don't understand what it's like to be like me!" I would so love to go to the gym with her and support her that way. Unfortunately we live in different states.

I can get that. maybe suggest she get on here. there are lots of people with that problem. i have always been the "fat" one out of my siblings and that hasnt changed yet. I really do hope things work out for her and you ^_^ feel free to add me or if she gets on she can add me
  • serapi
    Options
    Sadly, we live in a world where there are a lot of perceived "quick fixes" to our problems; especially those related to our health. There is a pill or a surgery, etc. People have been trained by the media and even health professionals to believe that their first (and sometimes Only) option is the quick fix. I think that some quick fixes are necessary in emergency situations; however, we need to start learning/being taught that a lot long-term successes also come with hard work and dedication.

Health is not something maintained by transient means. Maintenance of good health is a lifelong commitment. A lot of people just don't understand that, and I can't blame them Entirely as we've been spoon-fed quick fix info for years.

Whenever I hear a discouraged friend talk about their diet problems/"failures", I do my best to maintain a supportive and encouraging attitude. I allow myself to be a positive role model for them; not only by rooting them on--but by showing them my own progress. I show them that hard work does and Can pay off! Sometimes people need that constant reminder...not by words but by vision.

Rather than spend my energy getting frustrated with any sort of unmotivated person, I see what I can do to encourage them without compromising my own needs/happiness.

Good for you.

I find in my old age that you hear the same excuses over and over and over. It gets tired.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

THIS. Over and over again, THIS!!!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Never go to tumblr under the "fat acceptance" tag, then. Everyone there has "genetic" problems, and they've "tried everything under the sun" so they are content in saying "im just a big girl!"

Yeah **** that. I don't care who you are, if you think that way I automatically think your pathetic.

Judgey pants time.
    If you can't figure out the difference between your and you're, I automatically think *you're pathetic.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Never go to tumblr under the "fat acceptance" tag, then. Everyone there has "genetic" problems, and they've "tried everything under the sun" so they are content in saying "im just a big girl!"

Yeah **** that. I don't care who you are, if you think that way I automatically think your pathetic.

I'm inclined to agree. All about self acceptance, but there has to be a limit to what you will put yourself through.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    WWJD?

he'd mess up their diet and give them whole baskets of bread.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of judgmental threads hating on people.

^^ This. Why is everybody so concerned with what everyone else is doing? You worry about you and I'll worry about me, mmkay?

:flowerforyou:
  • Fitstephy
    Options

that's not what fat acceptance is about. It's a message to stop SHAMING people for being fat and that it's their body and not yours.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of judgmental threads hating on people.

This^^^ :yawn:
  • portergolf
    Options
    If you are unhealthy due to poor eating habits and lifestyle, then admit it to yourself and get on with it! Stop blaming everything under the sun!

Eat less, eat better, get active!

Man you are getting flamed and I think it's unjustified. People like to make excuses for why they dpn't do something in reality its because its hard work.

This thread has people killing you but don't let it bother you, I am realtively new to this board and I have never seen so many excuses and self pity post in my life. I like to read the succes post and the inspirational post I can't stand to read they post where people want to offer up excuses in hopes of other piggy backing on them in hopes of some twisted way that it validates what they are using for an excuse.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    WWJD?

he'd mess up their diet and give them whole baskets of bread.

And wine too!
  • xerses25
    Options
    Preaching To The choir Mate! I think it's just natural for people to make excuses , not only in weight but other life areas as well. something with your brain. Don't blame them , let them find their way.
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    Wow. I'm already down in the dirt. Thanks for kicking some more in my face.
  • Nanook8
    Nanook8 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    NO, I am not willing to treat anyone badly. I was just answering someone's question about why people care about what people weigh. I am actually very empathetic to overweight people (as I have been there myself and trying to keep from getting there again.) Please read what I said; I said it bothers me that people are overweight; it does NOT say I treat them badly nor would I.
    QUOTED FROM ANOTHER POSTER ABOVE: "I'm always amazed at why people care so much whether someone else is overweight... Or why they are over weight? Yes, 9 times out of 10, people are overweight because they eat too much and work out too little, regardless of genetics, etc... But... as long as you are at a weight you are happy with... What's it to you if I'm not at an ideal weight?"

Because overweight people require more treatments at doctors, hospitals, and medications due to their aches, pains, back injuries, diabetes, and heart disease. This in turn affects our health care system. Quite often they seek disabilities seeking financial help for an issue that they could address by eating better and exercising. These are the reasons that it bothers me that people allow themselves to become obese. IT does affect other people.

are you willing to treat all ill people badly?
    What about us Type 1 diabetics? Those of us who have hashimotos? Rheumatoid Arthritis? etc.....that's a lot of people.
    And my medical expenses effect you only to the extent that you have to pay for them...and so far, that's not at all.
  • Me48Plus2
    Options
    If you are unhealthy due to poor eating habits and lifestyle, then admit it to yourself and get on with it! Stop blaming everything under the sun!

Yes, it IS that simple !
  • serapi
    Options

Eat less, eat better, get active!

Man you are getting flamed and I think it's unjustified. People like to make excuses for why they dpn't do something in reality its because its hard work.

This thread has people killing you but don't let it bother you, I am realtively new to this board and I have never seen so many excuses and self pity post in my life. I like to read the succes post and the inspirational post I can't stand to read they post where people want to offer up excuses in hopes of other piggy backing on them in hopes of some twisted way that it validates what they are using for an excuse.

YES YES YES