Most embarrassing "fat" moment....

Options

Replies

• Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was never really bullied or harassed about my weight. I've had pretty good self confidence my whole life...I suppose that shows and doesn't make me a target.

The only thing that has ever stuck out was in the 2nd grade. I was taller than a lot of kids in my class and was a bit chunky for my age. A boy (still remember his name to this day) called me fat during dodge ball...and I punched him straight in the face. Gave him a nice bloody nose. I told the principle what had happened and didn't get in trouble, lol.
  • Webbygail
    Webbygail Posts: 116
    Options
    "Are you a boy or a girl?" "Girl" "Did you say HIPPO?" - Girl i didn't know at the bus stop when i was 9. That was the first time i ever heard someone point out my weight, and i started cutting myself after that until i was into my older teens...

"TIMBEEEER!" - My brother yelling this as i sat down in a chair at a friends bday party we were attending (i was 13, he was 11). i ran home crying from the party.

Childhood and my teenage years brought on a vast amount of insults and inquiries from people. I'm the oldest of 8 (5 girls 3 boys) so there were lots of fights and arguing, and my weight was usually the first thing brought up in any kind of verbal quarrel.

"So now that i've met your sisters... what the hell happened to you?" - Various ex friends over the years
    "Did you have to buy a second seat?" - My coworkers at my old job when I told them I had bought a plane ticket to Japan.

Oh and when I found out my ex was cheating on me with a girl who I THOUGHT was a friend of mine, she texted my phone with "I would've told you in person but I was always afraid you'd get angry and eat me"

Same ex used to be a bouncer at a bar, and I'd occasionally hang out there towards the end of his shift since I was picking him up anyway. One night a guy at the bar he was talking to said "well at least you're not going home with THAT" and pointed to me, I pretended not to hear since I was sitting a few barstools away and just waited for my boyfriend to jump in and come to my aid.... but no, he laughed =/
  • supbanana
    supbanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was at Marine World in Vallejo when I was 15. I was 5'10" and ~250 pounds. I tried to go on one of the rollercoasters but the safety belt wouldn't buckle. The male ride attendant came over and I asked to be let off but instead he took it upon himself to try to buckle me in. When that didn't work he called another male worker over. One of them shoved on the safety bar around my gut while the other tried to buckle the belt, and the whole time I was begging them to stop and let me off. Ultimately they couldn't get it and had to let me off with the saddest look ever on their faces. Me being fat had held up the entire ride and of course I was sitting in the very front row so everyone could see... I've never been to a theme park since.
  • Webbygail
    Options
    I took martial arts from age 8 to 19. I was ALWAYS bigger and taller than kids in my classes, and one day the other parents apparently decided to band together, approach the schools owner and demand that I be put in the adult class because of my weight. So I was, and there were mostly adult and older teenaged men in that class. I was picked on - not the constructive criticism type picked on, straight up BULLIED. Not only with words but since we had sparring class and activities that required close contact, I was bullied physically too. And my parents always wondered why I was so angry growing up.
  • Webbygail
    Options
    I was at Marine World in Vallejo when I was 15. I was 5'10" and ~250 pounds. I tried to go on one of the rollercoasters but the safety belt wouldn't buckle. The male ride attendant came over and I asked to be let off but instead he took it upon himself to try to buckle me in. When that didn't work he called another male worker over. One of them shoved on the safety bar around my gut while the other tried to buckle the belt, and the whole time I was begging them to stop and let me off. Ultimately they couldn't get it and had to let me off with the saddest look ever on their faces. Me being fat had held up the entire ride and of course I was sitting in the very front row so everyone could see... I've never been to a theme park since.

Yeah same here! I had almost that exact experience at Kings Dominion.
  • Webbygail
    Options
    When I went to China to visit the great wall, a female vendor yelled loudly to me that she had shirts for fat Americans and held up the biggest shirt I've ever seen in my life, it must've been at least a 6x and I wore a 1x, maybe 2x at the time.

LOL omg! I had that same thing happen to me several times in Japan, especially in Okinawa where the "military" look was popular. A vendor yelled out to me that he had all sizes camouflage skirts, "even for the fat girls" >_<
  • cafeconleche
    Options
    There have been a couple: realizing that the moms who have birth way after you did are already back in shape. Even the mom who was heavy before, and had twins is all skinny!! That was my eye opener. Or one of them.

My young kids asking, why my belly is so big?

Going out of the way to a different McDonald's because you've already been to one twice this week.

We took our Christmas card pictures during an outing with a couple of my girlfriends and their kids and husbands. It was a fun day. I was horrified when I saw the pictures. I KNEW I had put weight on, but I was absolutely horrified by what I saw :( it ruined it the day for me, and I hated that. Worrying about my weight when we were supposed to be hanging out.

That has been my turning point. I am aiming for a better Christmas card picture this coming year.
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    "Are you a boy or a girl?" "Girl" "Did you say HIPPO?" - Girl i didn't know at the bus stop when i was 9. That was the first time i ever heard someone point out my weight, and i started cutting myself after that until i was into my older teens...

"TIMBEEEER!" - My brother yelling this as i sat down in a chair at a friends bday party we were attending (i was 13, he was 11). i ran home crying from the party.

Childhood and my teenage years brought on a vast amount of insults and inquiries from people. I'm the oldest of 8 (5 girls 3 boys) so there were lots of fights and arguing, and my weight was usually the first thing brought up in any kind of verbal quarrel.

"So now that i've met your sisters... what the hell happened to you?" - Various ex friends over the years
    "Did you have to buy a second seat?" - My coworkers at my old job when I told them I had bought a plane ticket to Japan.

Oh and when I found out my ex was cheating on me with a girl who I THOUGHT was a friend of mine, she texted my phone with "I would've told you in person but I was always afraid you'd get angry and eat me"

Same ex used to be a bouncer at a bar, and I'd occasionally hang out there towards the end of his shift since I was picking him up anyway. One night a guy at the bar he was talking to said "well at least you're not going home with THAT" and pointed to me, I pretended not to hear since I was sitting a few barstools away and just waited for my boyfriend to jump in and come to my aid.... but no, he laughed =/

so glad he's your ex.
  • bkwhit1964
    Options
    bump
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've never truly considered myself fat, just out of shape. I've never been athletic. I inherited larger hips (equaling larger behind) and larger top half from my mothers side, and a smaller waist from my fathers side, so technically I'm an hourglass.

During my first few years of high school some girls decided to pick on me and would walk around sticking their butts out behind them when they were in my sight. They also asked when my baby was due when changing for swimming once. This hurt a lot at the time but thankfully we all grew up over the years and I left high school on good terms with them.

Twice people have offered me their seats on the bus as they thought I was pregnant. One lady almost jumped off the bus in embarassment! I have since discovered that I have IBS and bloat to the point of looking pregnant if I eat the wrong foods. Thinking about it now, these situations for more embarassing for the others involved than for me!
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I Know the feeling. when I was five I was constantly teased by my family for being the fat one. I was shunned in schooled, and even bullied. at the age of 10 my mother decided to put me on weight watchers however instead of starting to cook healthy for the whole family she would measure out one cup of noodles for me and that was all i would be able to eat for lunch. I used to sneak the food when she was not looking and became a closet eater. at the age of 13 my mother sent me to a junior version of weight watchers it did not work. than we tried something else it would have worked but for the fact that she refused to stop buying junk saying she cant deprive the others because they were not fat hense the closet eating started again. I started weightwatchers i lost 60 pounds but i never worked on the emotional issues so when I got pregnant and was told i could not come back i took it as rejection and gained all of it plus 47 pounds back.
    what drives me nuts is that my sisters tell me now oh wow look at the pictures of when you were five you werent heavy you were solid and healthy. but becasue they were thin as sticks until puberty i was named the fat one and teased.
  • christy3565
    Options
    In 7th grade Science class we had a substitute teacher one day. My maiden name is Long. One boy, and I remember this so vividly, went to the blackboard and wrote Christy WIDE in huge letters. I was just crushed as the whole room laughed.

My adult most embarassing was when I was pregnant with my 7 year old and he was breach. I had no idea what I weighed because the Dr office scale only went to 350. My Dr said they would have to bring up a table from the regular OR because the table in the labor/delivery wouldn't hold me. Luckily he turned and I delivered natural but it was awful knowing I would have to go through that.
  • swashburn3
    swashburn3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Waiting in a roller coaster line with some friends for 45 minutes. Talking about how wild the ride is going to be. Then watching them get on the ride, one looking back over her shoulder in pity as I walk push myself back through the line because I'm too fat to ride it.
  • Wargamergal
    Wargamergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When i was about 5 or 6 i used to do ballet - and i remember the teacher in front of everyone used to ask me if i ate a basketball for breakfast. I laughed because everyone else was laughing but it still hurt.

When i was 10 or so dad got drunk one night and gave me a hug and said geeze you've got a fat *kitten* i ran to my room crying.

When i brought fruit the other day i got told by the lovely stall holder that strawberries are good for my baby

Oh well
  • Webbygail
    Options

so glad he's your ex.

Haha thanks :) I'm glad he is too, but I still haven't quite healed yet from those 3 years. Things are already on their way to getting better though.
  • jdm1726
    jdm1726 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not to me, but to my wife...but she answered it perfectly!

A woman at our church came up to her, touched her tummy and said...Oh...I didn't know you were expecting! My wife, without a bat of her eyes, answered right back...I'm not. I'm just fat, but thanks for pointing it out!..

I had to turn around and slap my hands over my mouth to stop from laughing...

Of course, my wife beat me to the 60 lbs off mark this year....she's almost at 75 now, and I am so proud of her!
  • lemanuelthelazy
    lemanuelthelazy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oooh I have a few of these stories! I'm gonna go through and read everyone's little by little, because it is sort of painful to hear all these experiences. But this is how we got here, right?

When I was at my biggest, I went on a college trip to England, and there was a night when we had to run to catch the last train back to London after a late play. I was wearing a long skirt with no pants or stockings underneath, so after about ten minutes of brisk walking and jogging my thighs had rubbed together completely raw, and I was in so much pain I could barely stand. While we waited for the train I had to pretend that my feet hurt and that's why I was almost in tears.

Not too bad compared to others, but I've still never told anyone about it.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was sitting at a crowded lake area where it is like a horseshoe area, everyone can see everyone else while they are sitting by the lake. I was sitting in a canvas chair that had a rip but I thought it would last a few more trips. I hadn't eaten since the day before and was starving so I ate an entire foot long tuna subway sandwich. I knew people were looking at me as I ate it and could imagine all the snarky things they were saying to each other but I was that hungry I didn't care. Then to my horror, the chair ripped, the aluminum frame bent and down I went, with the collapsed broken lawn chair underneath me. I could see out of my periferal vision all the hands covering thier mouths and the shaking shoulders. I lifted my hand to my adult daughter for a hand up and there she was mouth wide, holding her stomach to keep from rolling on the ground laughing. Humilitation.
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My most embarrassing one is way too personal to share on a public message board.

But there was the time a few weeks back when the button on my pants burst at work and I had to hold them together with a safety pin...I think around then was when I had my "a-ha" moment ;)
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When i was about 5 or 6 i used to do ballet - and i remember the teacher in front of everyone used to ask me if i ate a basketball for breakfast. I laughed because everyone else was laughing but it still hurt.

Aw jeez, some teachers are such *kitten*! I'm going to school to be a teacher and I would never say or do anything like that to a kid! :(