so how crowded is your gym with newbies?

Options

Replies

• kitty_764
    Options
    This is my least favorite thing about gyms, and also, kind of about humanity. Because you KNOW that in a month, it's going to clear out.

I canceled my gym membership and take fitness classes at a place near my house so that I go every time and so that I know it won't be overcrowded, since you have to pre-register. I also belong to two yoga studios, so I can mix up times and go when I know it'll be less crowded.

I can't stand the resolution crowd!

We all had to start somewhere. Dont forget that we were like that once too. You should be encouraging, not discouraging, just saying

Thank you. I'm completely discouraged now, it's one of those moments when that flip is switched and you've been demotivated. Same happened last year when I stepped on a scale for the first time after about a month of healthy eating, I thought I should be less than what I was; besides feeling on top of the world and being > this < close into fitting into my old jeans, I lost all motivation and quit.
    I guess I'm weaker than I thought I was. At least I learned something about myself.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This is my least favorite thing about gyms, and also, kind of about humanity. Because you KNOW that in a month, it's going to clear out.

I canceled my gym membership and take fitness classes at a place near my house so that I go every time and so that I know it won't be overcrowded, since you have to pre-register. I also belong to two yoga studios, so I can mix up times and go when I know it'll be less crowded.

We all had to start somewhere. Dont forget that we were like that once too. You should be encouraging, not discouraging, just saying

Thank you. I'm completely discouraged now, it's one of those moments when that flip is switched and you've been demotivated. Same happened last year when I stepped on a scale for the first time after about a month of healthy eating, I thought I should be less than what I was; besides feeling on top of the world and being > this < close into fitting into my old jeans, I lost all motivation and quit.
    I guess I'm weaker than I thought I was. At least I learned something about myself.

You can do it, don't quit!...
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Arrg , my gym is now swamped with Resolutionists (i like that word :D )

Couple of younger newbies were obviously giggling at me being covered in sweat (was doing hiit session).

Doing the spin class for the first time this year in thursday... I had the last place (its normally empty).

Should be interesting :D
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Yeah, Show every one of these discouraging 'can't stand'ers what you're worth!
    I just started exercising and eating healthier since september, so I remember how it feels stepping into a gym for the first time. Just don't give up! I'm proud of all resolutionists, because at least they see, even for one month in a year, that they want to achieve a better version of themselves... I try to make them feel welcome.

But I must admit, I did laugh a little with a guy who was wandering around in my gym this week, with the price tag of his new trousers hanging out :)
  • kitty_764
    Options

Thank you! I don't plan on it, but it is discouraging for those of us who are very self concious about ourselves.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Dont give up yet!

You need to set a better goal than just fitting in some jeans. Take a sport up, sign up for a half marathon, buy a bike, anything. You need some thing to aim for that is far better than dropping a dress size and has much greater impact on your health and happiness.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Thank you! I don't plan on it, but it is discouraging for those of us who are very self concious about ourselves.

Oh, I understand that, and I have been going at this for over a year. I'm still overtly self-conscious at the gym, heck, I'm still having a hard time venturing into a clothing store, but that is a whole other topic...
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    Wow! It's not "your" gym. Once upon a time that was you the "newbie" in there.
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Mine was quite crowded yesterday.. and I actually let out a little sob when I saw that no treadmills were available.
    But! Good on them for making a go of it- hope it lasts.

But vacate my treadmill, thanks.
  • JacquiDawn
    Options
    When I went at 5pm on Monday, absolutely EVERY single machine was in use, all but one of the work out mats was in use, and a lot of the weights were being used.... But I went back at 8pm (proud that I went back!) and it was relatively empty. I've definitely decided that going later on will work best for myself. Gives me time to get in from work, do some of my dissertation work, eat dinner and then get out to the gym.
  • cat_g_83
    cat_g_83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have ended up going swimming after 9 at night to make sure I can swim without crashing into people. It makes me laugh, especially all the brand new work out gear that probably cost more than the gym membership. Puts my old t-shirt and leggings to shame!
  • jenlouise4
    jenlouise4 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use my university's gym so yeah, it was completely mobbed!
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    A lot busier than normal. My only bug is when people are sat on a machine flicking through their phone of MP3 player. I tend to do a resistance cardio workout that requires me to move from exercise to exercise as quickly as possible to not allow the heart rate to drop before getting back on a cardio machine. I am finding that people are sat on some of the resistance machines taking a 5 minute break in-between sets, not fun when every second waiting is more rest time and my HR is dropping.
  • mairinosteen
    mairinosteen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mine is only a little more crowded than normal (I am new to MFP but have been going to the gym for a while). I did have one problem though, I was using one of the recumbent bikes and the woman that sat next to me had perfume that was so strong it made me sick for the rest of the day. :sick: I am not kidding, it was that bad. I do not understand why someone would want to wear that much perfume ever, let alone to go workout.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It is getting busier. I went at 6:30 am this morning just in the hope of beating the crowds, and it was pretty full. My usual weights were not available so I used the ones 5 lbs heavier :) Thank you NYRPs, you challenged me to ramp up my hammer curls!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Last night was kinda packed and I went in at 9:00p. There are some newbies but a fair amount of the crowd are college aged kids that I suspect are home on winter break for another week or two and then they'll be gone.

There was still more than enough room to do my thing except when I got to the hip adduction and hip abduction machines. Those are the machines where you either spread your legs while sitting or bring them in from having been spread...

There was a crowd of 5 twenty-something very fit women doing 80 bazillion reps on both machines at maybe 20lbs. My last 2 machines in my routine and the group was swapping off with each other between the two machines which are next to each other in the row and they are 2 of the 3 machines in my routine that there aren't more than one of in the gym.

I had to go find something to do while they finished because a forty-something year old guy hanging around those machines while the twenty-somethings are using them makes me look like a pervert. So I went and stretched until they were done. I couldn't see them from where I was stretching but it got suddenly quieter and sure enough when I went to go check they had moved on.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It is busier-But, I think that is great! I see people from 2 years ago that started in New year, I was one of them once upon a time:-)
    We are all there to get healthy!
  • livitup85
    livitup85 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My gym was absolutely packed the other night. So many new faces.
    We were all the new kid on the block once upon a time so I have more patience with the newbies not quite getting how things work. My problem is the friends who tag along and stand there on their cellphones watching the other person exercise, walk around, just sit at a machine and wait for their friend to finish a set so they can chit chat about the guy across from them.
    Get serious or leave!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    To those who are saying they won't join a gym because of this thread, keep looking for those excuses not to better yourself. Blame the OP because it couldn't possibly be your own faults causing you not to try right?

The above is what is called judgemental. The OP wasn't. She is stating a fact that around certain times of the year gyms get packs making people's workouts harder.

People like to vent about stuff that annoys them. I know you do too.

Human nature is that we judge others. We do it to make ourselves feel better, we do it to be nasty if just because we can. It's only an issue if you do it to someone's face. I judge the hell out of everyone at my gym. I dont show it though. I know people judge me. (Though very few have shown it) Ultimate they don't know me and I don't know them so who gives a rate as to what they think if me?
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I love my gym ..normally. Right now it is too crowded so I am working out at home til Feb, I've got weights and medicine balls. I 'm not saying for people not to go to the gym but lets be honest not everyone is gonna stick with it. Thats ok as long as they keep trying .,.... However I do find the teeny boppers walking on the tredmill at a crawl so they can talk to their friend annoying but since I don't use the tredmill I really doesnt phase me