• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    water
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    WATER COUNTS AS WATER
    coffee ESPECIALLY does not since it actually dehydrates you, as do caffeinated teas, soft drinks, alcohol, etc.
    I drink 0.5 to 1 Liter of water before I even eat breakfast in the morning, and another Litre before lunch. For me, having a coffee or soft drink, etc counts as a NEGATIVE glass of water, so for every dehydrating thing I drink, I make sure I drink 2 extra glasses of water to make up for it.
    From http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/5-surprisingly-healthy-foods?page=3

Your morning cup of coffee not only helps wake you up, it may have health benefits. The caffeine in coffee stimulates the brain and nervous system, and may lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, mood problems, headaches, and even cavities.

Coffee contains many beneficial substances including chlorogenic acid, a compound in the antioxidant family that may improve glucose (sugar) metabolism. Another perk is that coffee contains magnesium, a mineral that can also improve insulin sensitivity and enhance glucose tolerance.

"Coffee may therefore, in some people, help thwart type 2 diabetes," says Zied.

A review of 15 studies on coffee and type 2 diabetes published in The Journal of the American Medical Association found that people who regularly drank coffee had lower risk of type 2 diabetes. Most people in the studies drank coffee prepared with the drip method. Decaffeinated coffee was not always identified, but in two of the studies, the decaf drinkers had a lower risk of type 2 diabetes.

Still, researchers are not ready to recommend that everyone drink large doses of coffee, as this habit is associated with less healthy lifestyles. So enjoy your coffee in moderation, and keep in mind that a healthy diet, normal body weight, and regular exercise are your best defense against developing type 2 diabetes.

One real benefit for java lovers: your morning wake-up call can help satisfy your body's daily fluid needs. Studies show that coffee does not dehydrate habitual drinkers, as once believed, and can count toward your daily fluid quota, says Zied.

Another plus is that coffee is naturally calorie-free. But if you load it up with cream, sugar, whipped cream, and/or flavored syrup, the extra fat and calories can undermine any potential benefits.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    this thread is making me thirsty.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I count anything without alcohol. And some people have made compelling arguments that alcohol can count.

The idea is to be hydrated, not just drink plain water. Your body gets hydration from all water sources (including the food you eat). Adding flavor to water does not make the water not hydrating anymore.

Some people choose to only count pure water, but I guarantee their bodies don't know the difference.

Alcohol can count as both hydration and even nutrition believe it or not. In Europe, malts were one used as a source of nutrition thus they eventually started having a malt tax as the ingredients required to make the malt was scarce (basically grains).
    Interesting.

I don't drink enough alcohol to worry about it, personally. If I have one or two every six months, it's a lot! (I know, I'm such a lush ...)
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eh. This question is almost too obvious to answer, but I'll take my best crack at it:

Water = Water
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Ummmm maybe water.....

Yes the answer is WATER!!!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    WATER COUNTS AS WATER
    coffee ESPECIALLY does not since it actually dehydrates you, as do caffeinated teas, soft drinks, alcohol, etc.
    I drink 0.5 to 1 Liter of water before I even eat breakfast in the morning, and another Litre before lunch. For me, having a coffee or soft drink, etc counts as a NEGATIVE glass of water, so for every dehydrating thing I drink, I make sure I drink 2 extra glasses of water to make up for it.

No. NO. NO.

BING. O.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Everything is a diuretic. No matter what you eat or drink it's going to come back out in some form.

^^^^^!!!!!!!!!
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I count anything without alcohol. And some people have made compelling arguments that alcohol can count.

The idea is to be hydrated, not just drink plain water. Your body gets hydration from all water sources (including the food you eat). Adding flavor to water does not make the water not hydrating anymore.

Some people choose to only count pure water, but I guarantee their bodies don't know the difference.

Alcohol can count as both hydration and even nutrition believe it or not. In Europe, malts were one used as a source of nutrition thus they eventually started having a malt tax as the ingredients required to make the malt was scarce (basically grains).
    Interesting.

I don't drink enough alcohol to worry about it, personally. If I have one or two every six months, it's a lot! (I know, I'm such a lush ...)

Doesn't mean that one should use alcohol like scotch as a source of nutrition. Those were some dark days in Europe :P
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What about heavy water (D2O or DHO)?
    Does it make you heavy?
    :wink:
  • edgelljl
    Options
    Thank you all for so many responses. I really appreciate the time you all took to answer -- and a few to make me laugh. :drinker: Have a great and wonderful day. :heart:
  • goingbicyclecrazy
    Options
    Whatever clear water you can get a hold of is good. One thing that is not counted in water intake is fruits and vegetables. Your body will take and use the water from them. Same goes for soups and the like. That being said, just try to get in the habit of carrying water with you wherever you go and it will become a good habit.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am compelled to read them every time...:tongue:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Don't make me look for the details, but scientific studies have shown that normal amounts of caffeine in coffee, teas and sodas are not as diuretic as the are hydrating - you still get net hydration. I do not recall any studies that used espresso, but feel free to drink 64 ounces and report back on your hydration level.

Also, your piss should not run clear, if it does you are over hydrated and pissing out minerals, vitamins and electrolytes. It should be a light yellow in the toilet. I have never seen a color wheel for judging the piss itself, but then I am a girl and only see my undiluted piss at the doctor's office.

(Spell check tried to change undiluted piss to undisputed piss - ergo, I win)
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Also remember caffeine is a diuretic, and is counterproductive to hydration goals.

ostrich_pillow_kawamura-ganjavian-thumb-525xauto-45541.jpg
    LMAO Just listening :laugh:
  • patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For all you saying coffee=water--

Drink 32-40oz of coffee to hydrate during the day and then go do your Bikram yoga or heavy cardiovascular workout routine and only drink coffee as you would water during your workout and then tell me that coffee is the same as water....really...heeheee. Coffee consumption does not equal water consumption, period.

Water=water
  • Collywally
    Options
    I drink plain rooibos (red bush) tea and count this as water .
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also remember caffeine is a diuretic, and is counterproductive to hydration goals.

Water is a diuretic so I guess drinking water is counter productive to hydration goals as well.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For all you saying coffee=water--

Drink 32-40oz of coffee to hydrate during the day and then go do your Bikram yoga or heavy cardiovascular workout routine and only drink coffee as you would water during your workout and then tell me that coffee is the same as water....really...heeheee. Coffee consumption does not equal water consumption, period.

Water=water
    I have friend who lost more than 100 pounds a few years ago and who works out harder than anyone I know and she drinks coffee while working out. In Florida. In the summer. Outside.
  • justinhamlin
    Options
    wait... so vodka doesn't qualify? but.. but.. but... it LOOKS like water!?!