Why are so many women SCARED of weights? LMAO.

Options

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I have regularly bought a large selection of women's magazines, to see what's going on, what potential clients might have been told..........

and it doesn't look good.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If they look ripped and awesome, they're being sarcastic. If they're skinny and flabby, they've never even tried it so wouldn't know.

I really don't care whether anyone lifts or lifts heavy or not, but this ^^ kind of mentality always irks me. There are body types other than "ripped and awesome" and "skinny and flabby".

It's possible to be healthy beautiful without weights. Your weight and BF% can be in a healthy range without weights. You can build muscle mass, strength and endurance without weights.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Obviously, it's a combination of things ... not knowing how to lift properly, being intimidated to use the "guy section" of the gym, being told that lifting will cause you to bulk up, misinformation from people who have no clue what they are talking about like the one person in this thread who keeps saying she doesn't lift because she doesn't want her muscles to grow ...

There are also countless "fitness" magazines that continue to encourage women to be weak and insecure by telling them to "tone up" by doing a million crunches a day. I see so much crap on Pinterest promoting "dancer legs" workouts and telling you how to "get long, lean muscles" instead of "bulky" muscles. It makes me want to scratch my eyes out. There is no exercise that can lengthen your muscles. The length of your muscles was determined the minute you were conceived. And "lean muscles" is a redundant term. Muscles are, by definition, lean.

"Guy section"

An interesting concept. Perhaps all of these women only zones and women only gyms, are in fact counter productive?

You don't need to start telling me about insecurities. Men feel insecure around women. Why do you think they try twice as hard when they're around?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Every single woman I've ever met has been told or had read in some stupid chick magazine that she'll get this big ugly bulky body if she lifts heavy stuff. Most of us believe it because no one ever tells us different (including myself).

<<
    'Chick' magazine.

Go heavy ladies!

See, Chick Magazine says lift heavy and shows the model deadlifting, what, 8 pounds???? A woman isn't going to read that and go push herself with a 45 pound barbell plus additional weight!

That's what I was thinking. My RDL's yesterday were 115. lame magazine article is lame.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What you gonna do?

You're fighting an entire industry that's preying on women's fears.

Not just the fitness industry either. :ohwell:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    What if I drop it on my foot?

The proper form for that is:

1) yell loudly "ma foot, ma foot!!!"
    2) pick up foot and grab with hands
    3) jump around while performing both 1 & 2
    4) lose balance
    5) fall over taking a machine with you, all while maintaining 1 & 2 and start alternating between "ma foot" and "ma head"

Fears have been alleviated. Now I WANT to drop it on my foot.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Every single woman I've ever met has been told or had read in some stupid chick magazine that she'll get this big ugly bulky body if she lifts heavy stuff. Most of us believe it because no one ever tells us different (including myself).

<<
    'Chick' magazine.

Go heavy ladies!

See, Chick Magazine says lift heavy and shows the model deadlifting, what, 8 pounds???? A woman isn't going to read that and go push herself with a 45 pound barbell plus additional weight!

That's what I was thinking. My RDL's yesterday were 115. lame magazine article is lame.

Oh dear....
    I'm afraid it's far worse.

As the name of the exercise is labelled as deadlift.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I don't want to look like a loser in the weights area, especially when there are so many guys that know their *kitten* there.

No...we assume they know their ish, TRUST ME when I say many of them are equally lost but at least they have the advantage of feeling like MEN belong there.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Weights terrify me, they're so big and heavy and the weight room is filled with testosterone.
    ... and it smells funny. :laugh:

BTW, awesome arms!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options

It's possible to be healthy beautiful without weights. Your weight and BF% can be in a healthy range without weights. You can build muscle mass, strength and endurance without weights.

hmm... you can be attractive, healthy, even beautiful without weights. your weight and BF% can be healthy range without weights, yes. you can have muscle mass and strength without weights (usually by having a life full of activities that require it, like lugging toddlers around - oh, look, adorable weights with thumbs and language!), but endurance has absolutely nothing to do with weights. Where did anybody get that? Endurance is an aerobic activity... by definition. Weights should be anaerobic so...
  • randrews0407
    Options
    Obviously, it's a combination of things ... not knowing how to lift properly, being intimidated to use the "guy section" of the gym, being told that lifting will cause you to bulk up, misinformation from people who have no clue what they are talking about like the one person in this thread who keeps saying she doesn't lift because she doesn't want her muscles to grow ...

There are also countless "fitness" magazines that continue to encourage women to be weak and insecure by telling them to "tone up" by doing a million crunches a day. I see so much crap on Pinterest promoting "dancer legs" workouts and telling you how to "get long, lean muscles" instead of "bulky" muscles. It makes me want to scratch my eyes out. There is no exercise that can lengthen your muscles. The length of your muscles was determined the minute you were conceived. And "lean muscles" is a redundant term. Muscles are, by definition, lean.

"Guy section"

An interesting concept. Perhaps all of these women only zones and women only gyms, are in fact counter productive?

You don't need to start telling me about insecurities. Men feel insecure around women. Why do you think they try twice as hard when they're around?

I have been a member of 2 "women" gyms in my life (Curves and Living Well Lady), in both cases I left feeling like there was much to be desired.

Women pay a premium at my gym, their membership is twice the price as men because WOMEN take classes and men don't. Membership is only $19.99/mo but if you want the option of taking classes (seemingly only women do), then its $39.99/mo. The $99 "6-weeks to slim down" program targets WOMEN and 9 times out of 10 when I see a personal trainer on the floor with a client, that client is a woman - a woman who will probably not touch the free-weights even with the trainer. They make out hand-over-fist financially with women because women desire instruction and the guidance of professionals whereas guys are probably more comfortable just researching and winging it.
  • LaDonnaF
    LaDonnaF Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Blah
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

As someone who is currently tackling that very fear, I would say because with the exception of about three things...I don't know how it works. I know the leg press, and the pulley machine and everything else scares the crap out of me. I JUST as in last night approached someone who worked there about getting help if I wanted to know how to use something.

For me, it’s a matter of intruding on someone else's space and/or time.

Since I don't know how to propperly use it, I stay away rather than ask. It the fear of the unknown.

I was also like that at first... I didn't know how to use the squat rack so I wouldn't use it... Then, I asked a trainer at the gym to show me and the squat rack & I are buddies ever since :)

I also had my ex-boyfriend come to the gym with me a few times to show me exercices at first... and in the end I was the one showing him how to do some exercices properly :)

I still love Zumba, spinning, pilates, etc. But I like (heavy) lifting the best!!
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

This would be awesome. There was this woman working her calfs, and lifting this awesome load...and I wanted to go up to her and tell her how bad *kitten* I thought she was, but didn't because I didn't want to be a dork.

DO IT!!
    I've had women walk up to me to compliment me on my arms and shoulders a few times and it's always good to hear... Then they asked me questions about my workouts so I gave them info & tips.
    Coming from a man, it's just not the same ;-)
  • IronSmasher
    Options

"Guy section"

I have been a member of 2 "women" gyms in my life (Curves and Living Well Lady), in both cases I left feeling like there was much to be desired.

Women pay a premium at my gym, their membership is twice the price as men because WOMEN take classes and men don't. Membership is only $19.99/mo but if you want the option of taking classes (seemingly only women do), then its $39.99/mo. The $99 "6-weeks to slim down" program targets WOMEN and 9 times out of 10 when I see a personal trainer on the floor with a client, that client is a woman - a woman who will probably not touch the free-weights even with the trainer. They make out hand-over-fist financially with women because women desire instruction and the guidance of professionals whereas guys are probably more comfortable just researching and winging it.

Guys are ALWAYS asking questions, they're just far less likely to seek out help, and many have an issue with admitting they need it.
  • SMC_chick
    SMC_chick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do both, so I can only speak for myself, I actually enjoy zumba. I don't get enjoyment out of weights. I kick my own *kitten* in the weight room and there is nothing fun about it- looking at the results is fun though. Zumba is for the fun of it.

People do things that they get something out of- whatever that may be. For many, a group setting keeps them working out better than they would if they were on their own in the weight room.

I'm with you. I'm lifting weights because my husband tells me it is the fastest way to get results, but I'm bored by it. It is way too repetitive, by definition. I would do zumba if I was coordinated enough! :laugh: I'm doing the 30 Day Shred and that is kicking my *kitten*. I'm also using a Smith machine to do squats and I'm doing various other exercises on weight machines, but I find it really boring no matter what my husband puts on to watch while he does it, and in some cases I find it way too challenging. I can hold a 27 lb toddler and a 17 lb baby at the same time, but that requires different muscles. Some things are just too boring for me to want to fight through the challenge.
  • randrews0407
    Options
    Guys are ALWAYS asking questions, they're just far less likely to seek out help, and many have an issue with admitting they need it.

TRUTH.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but this is why I rarely lift.

I spent time with a trainer at the gym about 5 years ago and got pretty good result over about 6 months. I was lifting heavy and doing cardio. I of course lost focus and lost the gains I had made.

A couple years ago I decided to try it again, but didn't have the money for a gym membership so I started running outside and doing yoga.

I've been happier with the results from running and yoga then I was with the results I was getting from weight lifting. Plus I haven't had as much trouble maintaining.

Maybe I didn't have the right trainer (doubt it, he's really good and has his own facility), but it's not that I'm scared of lifting heavy. Other options have just been a better fit for me.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I personally am the most unathletic female alive :) My husband mocks me as often as possible and it is true, my coordination sucks.

My club does not offer classes, just trainers and exercise. But if they offered classes I would not take them cause I am so uncoordinatied and can"t keep up. I am the ewquivilent of a drunk giraffe in classes. I might be able to muddle my way through a yoga class but prefer to yoga at home. So IMO kudos to the ladies that can do classes I can"t I have to hold on the handles on the treadmill when I walk cause I loose my balance.

However I do use the treadmill or eliptical for about an hour 5 days a week and get in at least two days of lifting or more a week. My goal is not to lift heavy my goal is just to lift what I can and to push myself. And while the results on the scale can be confusing when you try and loose and gain muscle at the same time, Muscle burns fat faster and for your work out some light lifting and toning will help you in the long run.

I do find it funny that in reading the comments the assumption is that if someone is lifting they are "lifting heavy" I think the belief is that if you are lifting you have to do it to the max, when really light lifting is just as benifical and is OK.

unfortunatly the weight machines are intimidating, knowing the settings, the eddiquite, sets/reps saftey is all confusing. I took a class in high school for lifting as part of my PE credits (1 of 2 girls) and loved learning how to use all the machines. But unless you ask you are not just shown how :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have been using weight machines since I had a membership at Club Nautilus....MANY years ago. I am not afraid of free weights....I just like the machines.