What drinks qualify as water?

Options

Replies

• PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. So if I drink water at the same time that I eat water soluble food, does that make this water less...uh...qualified as water than if I drink the water when not eating food? If so, how much time should I wait after drinking water before I eat food in order to not diminish the effectiveness of the water?

Let me clear this up for you: Basically if you drink your water while you are eating your salad, you have to log it as soup.

If your salad is then followed by meat of any kind, you must go back in and log it as stew.

No water for you!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wrong, it is now coffee. As for your pot roast it is apparent that you don't understand, yes it does still contain protein and is still called a pot roast but through the cooking process other components of the meat have completely been altered :) I think the point of drinking water specifically and documenting it on a weight loss site would be to quench your thirst calorie free rather than hydrating with juice etc. (as for the 5 extra calories coffee adds this may be insignificant to some but perhaps not to others)

I'm about to blow our mind, but here's a secret: If something you drink has calories, you can (GET THIS!) log it in the food diary to account for the calories AND -- AT THE SAME EXACT TIME AND THE WORLD WILL NOT END!!!! -- tick it off as 8 oz of liquid on the water counter.

I know, right? It's just so crazy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. So if I drink water at the same time that I eat water soluble food, does that make this water less...uh...qualified as water than if I drink the water when not eating food? If so, how much time should I wait after drinking water before I eat food in order to not diminish the effectiveness of the water?

Let me clear this up for you: Basically if you drink your water while you are eating your salad, you have to log it as soup.

If your salad is then followed by meat of any kind, you must go back in and log it as stew.

No water for you!

And if I eat sugary candy shortly before or after drinking plain water, log it as koolaid, right?

That makes sense...since running the water through tea leaves or ground coffee beans makes it stop being water too.

Alright then, case closed. /thread

(I guess now we can move on to the next MFP forum argument that recurs ever 7-14 days. Could someone please check the schedule and let me know what's up next?)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about getting enough water, drink water. Juice isn't water, coffee isn't water... water is water.

I must be doing it wrong...this morning, I put the coffee grounds in some paper, and then poured some water in there, turned it on, and then magic happened and the water ran over the coffee grounds and ended up in the pot...it's still water right?

If I understand you correctly, when I put a pot roast in the crock pot, add water, veggies, and spices, and let it cook all day, by the time I get home the pot roast is no longer a pot roast and can no longer be counted as meat and therefore no longer protein?

sure it is, next time you go to get a coffee from a cafe, i hope they give you a mug of hot water :drinker: since its you know, the same exact thing anyway.

You're exactly right...that was my point...it has nothing to do with there still being water in the coffee or that it still hydrates...just that it's the exact same thing. I enjoy my steaming cup of hot water from the cafe all the time. It's YUM-O! :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Remember that time at the Tour de France when they passed out tall glasses of iced coffee to all the competitors as they sped by?

And when researchers at the University of Florida wrung out the football players' shirts after practice and found that sweat contained a grande latte?

EDIT:
    Sorry - I'll shut up and be more positive. Y'all stay healthy.

I doubt they gave them plain water, though.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

No water for you!

And if I eat sugary candy shortly before or after drinking plain water, log it as koolaid, right?

That makes sense...since running the water through tea leaves or ground coffee beans makes it stop being water too.

Alright then, case closed. /thread

(I guess now we can move on to the next MFP forum argument that recurs ever 7-14 days. Could someone please check the schedule and let me know what's up next?)

I'm pretty sure starvation mode is on deck.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    WATER COUNTS AS WATER
    coffee ESPECIALLY does not since it actually dehydrates you, as do caffeinated teas, soft drinks, alcohol, etc.
    Anyone who believes this, I am willing to give you 100:1 odds on any amount over $100 you wish to bet, that I can survive absolutely fine for a week eating as I normally do and drinking no liquids other than diet Dr Pepper. In the past I've gone months and probably years without drinking "water" and never turned into a desiccated corpse or even got very thirsty.
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    All I know is historically, everyone who has drank water eventually died... don't risk it!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Also remember caffeine is a diuretic, and is counterproductive to hydration goals.
    That depends on your personal tastes and whether or not your hydration goals include "enjoying life."

In other words, never drinking any liquid other than 'water' is counterproductive to my "living a fulfilling and happy life" goals.

Believe it or not, I was able to find a way to meet both goals. I'm guessing that, with decades of intensive labor, maybe one or two other people could manage to do it too.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I think the point of drinking water specifically and documenting it on a weight loss site would be to quench your thirst calorie free rather than hydrating with juice etc. (as for the 5 extra calories coffee adds this may be insignificant to some but perhaps not to others)

maybe this is the issue - people are all tracking water for different reasons so different people can count different things as water.

I have an actual snowflake condition that requires me to drink tons of plain water a day or i have seizures and black out and end up disoriented for several hours. It sucks balls. I like other things besides water, so I drink them too. but I gotta get in my 3 bottles or i end up making myself panic and compounding the problem.

I also drink water because I want beautiful skin and to be glowing and radiant until Im an old lady skateboarding down the highway. People love to jump in right here and scream that there is no proof.

Correct, there is no proof that drinking pure plain water all day makes you have better glowier skin.

BUT there is proof that it does these things for me. Coffee doesnt help me like that and neither does tea and I can feel the difference because im used to being hyper alert about it.

so if youre just trying to lose weight and you want to consider coffee to be water and juice to be water and coke to be water, then do whatever the **** you want. But also dont stand up and tell people that choosing only pure water for themselves is stupid and pointless.

If all I want to drink is pure water because of the ways it benefits me personally... then I honestly dont see how this is keeping you from reaching your goal weight.

besides, im done with that part.
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also remember caffeine is a diuretic, and is counterproductive to hydration goals.
    That depends on your personal tastes and whether or not your hydration goals include "enjoying life."

In other words, never drinking any liquid other than 'water' is counterproductive to my "living a fulfilling and happy life" goals.

Believe it or not, I was able to find a way to meet both goals. I'm guessing that, with decades of intensive labor, maybe one or two other people could manage to do it too.

Fair enough, if overstated.

I should have qualified it. I should have said "Drinking primarily highly caffeinated drinks can have a diuretic effect and may be counterproductive in reaching hydration goals"

I assumed the OP meant large amounts of coffee (as I consumed in grad school). I didn't mean never have any caffeine - but I didn't make that clear. I just meant that large amounts of caffeine can be a bit detrimental to staying well hydrated. And as I linked to earlier, with a single venti having (nearly) the levels the Mayo clinic states can have an effect, it's at least worth some consideration. Or not - I really don't care anymore.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For all you saying coffee=water--

Drink 32-40oz of coffee to hydrate during the day and then go do your Bikram yoga or heavy cardiovascular workout routine and only drink coffee as you would water during your workout and then tell me that coffee is the same as water....really...heeheee. Coffee consumption does not equal water consumption, period.

Water=water
    I have friend who lost more than 100 pounds a few years ago and who works out harder than anyone I know and she drinks coffee while working out. In Florida. In the summer. Outside.

Im not saying you won't lose (quite the contrary) weight but I would venture to say that most people feel worse if they are substituting coffee for water when they work out. Look if it made me feel great I would do it every day. But it just doesn't.

Pre work out coffee is a very common thing. I almost always drink coffee first. hydration with a kick.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you know... looking at all these answers... and comparing them to the tickers....

people who drink lots of plain pure water every day are statistically, in my humble meaningless opinion.... jaw droppingly hot.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Anything wet lol

Seriously a cup of coffee is like 99% water, so just call it water. Unless it's alcohol or a coffee shop coffee which is mostly milk I count it as water.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    water only. anything else I add in my food area. extra liquid? maybe so, just an added benefit.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Anything I drink that contains water I log as water.
    Simple....
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    All of them
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    you know... looking at all these answers... and comparing them to the tickers....

people who drink lots of plain pure water every day are statistically, in my humble meaningless opinion.... jaw droppingly hot.

Yeah, but there also seems to be a confounding factor of "propensity to be more judgmental and self-righteous" in the data for those same posters that is making it difficult for me to isolate just the pure water drinking part.

But maybe you're right. Maybe it's just the water thing.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    what drinks qualify as water?

water
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Personally I think just water, when i just drink caffeinated drinks i feel light headed and dehydrated.

What you 'feel' isn't right. We KNOW that drinking caffeinated drinks doesn't make you dehydrated.