WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, it's a weally wainy, windy, wet and wonderful Wednesday here in the great northwest! Snow possible this afternoon as the air temps are predicted to plummet. The dogs will no doubt be soggy dogs after our walk at noontime, I'll be "wapped up in waingear" from head to toe. :tongue:

I've been trying to keep abreast of the goings-on here in this encyclopedia (!) of wonderful women. I read, I think of something to comment on, then I read more, forgetting what it was I was planning to say, :ohwell: then glance at the clock and realize I'm out of time. That's how it's been this week. Not enough hours in the day. But hey, it's great everyone's so active here, what a way to wile away the hours during the dark days of winter! If you're movin', you're groovin', even if it's just your fingers type-type-typing away, you're exercising your mind! We know it's important to keep that up. :wink:

Ah yes, exercise. Building a platform of moves I can live with for the rest of my life is where my focus has been lately. Being realistic about the fact that I'll never be a long-distance runner or have a membership at the gym, and will probably never own a piece of exercise equipment, I've been following a routine of yoga, strength work and aerobics right here in the comfort of my little house and garage. Most of the time I'm upstairs, but doing jumping jacks on the wood floor up there rather rattles the entire house. :laugh: So I move down to the garage for aerobics where it's nice and cool. Sometimes I'll put the fitness channel on TV and jump around in the living room, first having to rearrange the furniture. :grumble: You know, this is why I love having my dogs. :bigsmile: They force me to get outdoors for walks & a bit of jogging every day. I'm very fortunate to live near beautiful parks full of giant trees and trails, rivers, community gardens and grassy fields where I can play soccer with my terrier and no one is bothered by his incessant barking. :ohwell: Gads, he can sure let off some steam, that one. It tires me out trying to tire him out, and that's why I love the little tyke. My heeler is my Mr. Protector, guard-dog par excellance. Poor boy can't run much but he sure keeps passer-bys at bay when we're out hiking. Yep, need my big dog. He's got a "look" to him. :wink:

The bell rang, ding! Time's up. Everyone enjoy your day, drink drink drink that water and eat your greens! What a fun group. :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good thread for me. At 52, I have been having issues getting rid of my weight because my hormones are whacked out. I kept track of diet and exercise for 3 months and lost a total of 2 pounds :cry: I was very dedicated with my food intake and exercise. I became very discouraged. :sad: Anyone out there having issues like mine? What did you do to fix it? I am determined to make this work this time!!

:flowerforyou: Julie
    After age 50 (or maybe even 40), it just takes a little longer for the weight to come off, but the good news is that if you stay with it, it WILL eventually catch up and the pounds will disappear! I, too, was very discouraged in the beginning, because I was under the mistaken impression that I would lose water weight, which would add up to big numbers, in the beginning. Didn't happen for me. It took a few months before the weight started coming off. It's different for everyone, so please be patient, and DON'T GIVE UP!!!!
  • nursermr38
    Options
    bump
  • MTGWW
    MTGWW Posts: 34
    Options
    I, too, was very discouraged in the beginning, because I was under the mistaken impression that I would lose water weight, which would add up to big numbers, in the beginning. Didn't happen for me. It took a few months before the weight started coming off. It's different for everyone, so please be patient, and DON'T GIVE UP!!!!
    [/quote]

I thought the was really good and interesting advice. Because if it takes a couple months to really start seeing weight start moving, I have given up long before then. And if I give up, then I never see results. So this year is just going to be about learning perseverance. If I'm still posting here in a month you will know that I'm overcoming something that has been a lifelong battle.

On another note. I still have trouble with the quote boxes. Like I took part of this quote above, but there is never a place for me to write that isn't contained within the quote box. Im obviously being kind of dumb here.

Karen.
  • myraknits
    myraknits Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, exercise. Building a platform of moves I can live with for the rest of my life is where my focus has been lately. Being realistic about the fact that I'll never be a long-distance runner or have a membership at the gym, and will probably never own a piece of exercise equipment, I've been following a routine of yoga, strength work and aerobics right here in the comfort of my little house and garage.
    ^
    this!!
    I find as I get older, I'm a lot more realistic about what I'm willing to do on a daily basis. I too am a homebody and love my morning solo routines. I change it up daily and skip days when I feel I need to. No more dogmatic "I will..." or "I must". That never worked before and just ended up making me feel bad so I'd stop exercising entirely. I try and listen to what my body needs and do what I can . So far so good. I'm in it for the long haul!

I also love the advice about finding out what works for you. I'm basically entirely sedentary other than my workout since I work on the computer from home. If I eat more than 1200 cals on maintenance I start seeing the numbers creep up over time. Every once in awhile I'll cheat but I need to stick around 1200. So there ya go... YMMV!!

One more thought and then it's off to the treadmill. When I was younger I had the 3 day rule. If I cleaned up my act for 3 days in a row I could knock off 2-3 lbs. Well those days are long gone. It took me a good 3 weeks when I started over with MFP to see any real results. It's slow going as we age but I figure, I'm here living this wonderful life anyway so I'll make the most of it each day.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Pool party nothing, I just bought tickets for Florida at the end of next month. Last June I bought my first two piece in twenty years, but I had the good taste to leave the country...

Loving the thought of this board as a virtual pool party of amazing, mature women of all sizes and nothing to prove.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    It's also wet, windy and Cold here in Texas. Well, not really cold, 55 degrees but it's cold to me.
    M. - I'm curious about the 1500 calories to start. When I started on MFP in late August, I filled in all the information and was told I should eat 1200 calories a day. I assumed that was based on age, height, and amount I needed to lose. Don't know if I should up my calories but I do go over sometimes but always exercise to even out. Any advice?
    judsemm - I have a set of Dvd's with Rodney Yee. It's for beginners and has two dvd's. A.m. and P.M. both are very good and I think you'd enjoy them.
    Julie - don't give up. I also gained .3 my first week and thought How is this working for you! But since I've done fairly well for someone who is older but wiser.:bigsmile: If you haven't opened your diary to your friends, you might want to do that because it's a good way to get a different perspective.
    jb -thank you for mentioning the fitness channel. I forgot we have that on our tv. I'm going to look and see if there is something I can do this afternoon.
    I'll come back later and let you know what exercise I found! (and did!)
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi

:ohwell: Didn't log in yesterday, and look we are on page 2 and it's only 9th Jan :noway: :noway:

I'm still trying to make good choices, a bit hit and miss, but not doing too bad. I agree that drinking water helps shift the weight, I wish I could drink more water, the only time I drink loads of water is when I have a sore throat!! I do notice a difference though.

I'm now back at my pre Christmas weight, and hope to keep on losing, but it is harder to lose weight the older I get. I too used to be able to cut back for a few days and lose any extra weight but not now.

:flowerforyou: Can't remember who asked, but Christmas Cake is fruit cake - topped with marzipan and icing. very calorific!

Time to move - the washing machine needs to be refilled - it stopped working a few days ago and I asked hubby to take a look, finally had a look at it today and it turns out the electric socket is faulty, it's now plugged in to another socket and working fine.

Bye for now

Viv - York UK
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Had a good swim this morning then did my running hither and yon. I got home and I was sooo hungry, but I didn't grab something fast, I stuck with what I planned.

Julie- you need to open you diary if you want us to look and see what you're eating and maybe give some advice. I lose very slow, due to meds and age so I'm happy with 1/2 a pound a week.

Does anyone have a good recipe for Mahi Mahi, I bought a piece today for dinner. Does it make good fish tacos?

Tigress from GA
  • buddysmom35
    buddysmom35 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just found this site, and this thread in particular feels comfortable. :)
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Tigress,

Mahi mahi makes outstanding fish tacos. I also like to treat it like halibut - coat it with a mix of greek yogurt and mustard and dill, make a tomato-caper sauce, and my personal fav, grind up some nuts and coat the fish in that, spray with some oil and bake until crispy.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Suebdew, the calorie amount MFP calculates is based on how much weight you want to lose/week. If you put in some really high number and/or don't have too much to lose and/or list your lifestyle as sedentary, you'll get a minimal amount. If you're exercising at all, I think you should bump it up, and if you have a lot to lose you definitely should. Everyone should be eating at least 1200, not 1200 or less.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day.
    had some issues with Darling daughter.
    Love waking up to hugs and kisses from Violet.
    Made appt for my DH,still sick.
    Got to my knitting group and came home with a bag of yarn,got my work cut out for me.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just popping in to print my AM comments....

Katla-I'm impressed that you do yoga, it's something I've never tried but have always found interesting:flowerforyou:

Robin-sorry that Ritter had an accident, but glad it was mostly on his bed...15,000 steps...I'm amazed...I just have a hard time getting in 4,000 in a day and if I'm lucky 9,000 on a weekend day:drinker:

Geri in England-looking at your overall goal can get you discouraged, make smaller goals that you know you can meet. If you look at losing 1/2 of your current weight it can be so overwhelming that you give up and we wouldn't want that, slow and steady will get you there:flowerforyou:

JaneH-I guess you were asking about emotional eating....don't we all at some point do that...either celebrating or when not feeling good:cry: I still like to celebrate with special meals every now and then just not all the time and when I'm feeling bad to give me that "pick me up" it's in the form of a couple of chocolate chips instead of a hand full:wink: For me it's all about control and now I'm taking control of when, where and what I eat:bigsmile:

Meg-so glad that you are feeling a bit better:flowerforyou: a little pampering is always in order:flowerforyou:

Julie-a sore throat and body aches are not good hoping you are feeling better soon:flowerforyou:

Renny in Van IS, BC, I so loved your joke of the day, thanks for sharing. How do you prepare your Spaghetti Squash?:huh:

Rd-I'm sure that I'd love to share your Rainbow coat...plenty of thinks at my office that I'd love to hide from:blushing:

Marita-Toby bringing home a wreath:laugh: I'm sure you have plenty of tales to tell of what he's brought home.

Jen- I remember when my three sons were in active duty and over their time of service it was amazing to watch them mature and grow as young men...for that I was thankful...for them being gone not so much:cry:

LindaC-I'm sure that with the dieticans help you will find what works for you and your body to lose the weight. If I've learned one thing in the last year it's that what works for me isn't for everyone and the foods I love don't always translate for others...like my hubby doesn't like Salmon and I love it...especially since everytime I eat it I see a loss on the scale:wink:

texasgal- your grandson is 17 yr old? I'm sure that you get a lot of enjoyment from a teenager...I can hardly wait....then again maybe I will as there are still some pretty fun years ahead (my oldest is only 5):flowerforyou:

Colleen- so did you get the new dog?:huh:

Lila-you be careful shoveling that snow, don't want your shoulder to hurt more:flowerforyou:

DeeDee- your brother and his buddies that just happen to be police officers...sounds like it was quite a morning:drinker:

Michele-so have you met this girl? I would want to meet her before my sons did the proposing, thank goodness all three of mine did wait until we had met and spent some time with the girls before they proposed and now we have three wonderful DIL's:drinker: truly they are the BEST.

That's all I have from this morning and I see that there are another 2 pages...maybe tomorrow.

Everyone have a good evening, I'm hoping it's better than the day has been...more accounting computer issues than I really want to deal with:sad:

Laura 80111 that's in Colorado:smile:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, Dear Ladies,

I so agree with everyone who stated that as we mature we begin to accept what works for us is the way to go. AND, sadly, that losing weight is MUCH slower, but not impossible, as proven by many here:drinker: There are no absolute rules that work for everyone! We just have to keep moving in the right direction!

Michelle- YES! Pool party at your place! It looks great and know you will enjoy it for years to come! It was warm enough here today to jump in...almost!

Take care all! :heart: Kackie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Colleen – Oh, I hope you get the dog.

Mwheatcraft54 – where is your ski picture from? I am still a skier too.

We had an unexpected visitor around midnight last night: a wild animal in our yard! We could not get a good look at it, so we don't know if it was a big cat (mountain lion) or a coyote. The eyes were green and it ran and jumped over the back fence when I turned the lights on. The horses did not seem overly concerned or spooked when I went to check on them, so I am hoping it was a coyote. In any event we will look for tracks during the daylight and not let the dogs go out without human supervision at night for a while.

Otherwise a boring week and I think I am doing OK with eating.

Best to all,

Jeannie
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump and Hi everyone ......been at maintenance since july and so far so good......put 4 pounds on over the festive season but tackling it with gusto should be back at goal in a few weeks.....going to be sixty this year and certainly do not want to look fat and frumpy as I used to ....glad I chanced on this thread:drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    M - thanks for your prompt reply. I checked my setting and saw "lightly active, 1 lb a week and I need to lose 13 more. So I changed it to .5 a week and it upped the calories to 1350 so we'll try that and see how it goes. Appreciate your advice.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Great quote! I've been learning how many bad choices I've been making since I started keeping a food diary 5 days ago. Staying accountable on this website will help me make better choices. So glad I found it! No more excuses!!! Thanks to all for the positive comments.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Well, it seem that the I did not sleep well is going around. It took me forever (3 hours) to fall asleep last night. I did get to listen to a bunch of my book. I listen to books while I am asleep. It keeps me from hearing creaks and things, so I sleep better.

I went to Walgreens today to pick up meds and the girl behind the counter had a cold. I know that most people have to go to work to get paid, and will work when sick, but with the flu killing people, wow. I was a little upset and used my hand sanitizer in the car. I don't normally use it unless I encounter sick folks and their germs. I don't want to get sick again. I am worn out, swim days make me want to go to bed at 9pm. I guess I need some tea. Decaf of course.

Tigress in GA