Would you bring your 13 year old to the gym?

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    "Inform" him too f'ing bad. Fitness is great for kids.

I take my little girl with me to the Y, just to swim because she's not allowed on the exercise floor for another year. But when she's old enough I'll certainly bring her with me and let her do whatever she's interested in.

I do tell him that quite regularly lol

Had a feeling, lemme guess.. Ex hubs, not exactly thrilled that you're getting in shape...doesn't want you taking the kids as a way of punishing you.. yada yada..

Stay strong. You're doing the right thing. He's wrong.
  • justvap1
    Options
    she loves going, gets mad when I leave her home. I think even sitting there watching me and others she gets something out of it. I people watch at the gym and learn new exercises all the time. if she is sitting out and sees something she is interested in she will point out out to me
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I have. My son. He's 14 now. .nothing wrong with that. I'd rather he learn proper form when lifting. And cardio to help with endurance. He's in football (nose guard) and in wrestling. I encourage strength and conditioning with my kids.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sure wish someone had taken me with them when I was that age. Maybe I would have learned how important physical active is and it would have become a natural part of my life. My have kept me from where I am today :frown:
    Cudos to you :flowerforyou:
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yesterday at the gym I saw a mother and daughter on the elliptical, daughter was around 15. She was obviously being fouced to be there because I could hear her complaining over my headphones. It is a shame she was not encouraging her mother to be there and be there for her own health.

IMO it is always good for kids to learn about healthy eating and exercise as long as the parent doesn't go overboard and it effects the childs self image. Assuming the child wants to be there, the daughter I overheard in the gym yesterday was not making it enjoyable to be there.
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it…as long as she's doing cardio and bodyweight stuff only… Our gyms has special plans for teens!

Given the population's health as a whole, I definitely think we should be getting kids and teens into sport or working out ASAP!
  • justvap1
    Options
    "Inform" him too f'ing bad. Fitness is great for kids.

I take my little girl with me to the Y, just to swim because she's not allowed on the exercise floor for another year. But when she's old enough I'll certainly bring her with me and let her do whatever she's interested in.

I do tell him that quite regularly lol

I suspect that could be along the lines of right....although we are usually on a speak through the children basis, so the input and feedback is minimal for her sake. often tongue biting.

Had a feeling, lemme guess.. Ex hubs, not exactly thrilled that you're getting in shape...doesn't want you taking the kids as a way of punishing you.. yada yada..

Stay strong. You're doing the right thing. He's wrong.
  • justvap1
    Options
    Sure wish someone had taken me with them when I was that age. Maybe I would have learned how important physical active is and it would have become a natural part of my life. My have kept me from where I am today :frown:
    Cudos to you :flowerforyou:

exactly why I do it with her!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    yes, and i'd ground them for curling in the squat rack
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!

i'm already working out with my 8 DD at home. She loves Cathe Friedrich, Fitness Blender, and most of all dancing.
    zumba, belly dancing, hip hop, ballet....
    at any time, if she doesn't want to do what I'm doing, she can do her own exercises or a different activity.

We're also competing in the amateur state games in our state. you don't have to be on a team, just register and go to the event.
    The whole family, we all travel down there for the whole weekend competing in the track and field events. It gives us something to train for, goals, and it's fun when we're there too.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my ex. I run, my son (14) is athletic but my daughter (13) is not as much. My son and I did a race together, and I saw a text between my daughter and her father's wife that asked if she ran, too. When my daughter said "no" it was replied to with a "good girl". Um... what?

Thanks for the chuckle. Keep doing what you're doing! He "objects"... haha! :laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't have a daughter, but my 6 year old was pissed when he found out he couldn't work out with me when we had a gym membership. Last night he brought up a kettlebell and resistance band from the basement and did his own workout in our living room. Love that kid. I absolutely want him to learn to be active!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    she loves going, gets mad when I leave her home. I think even sitting there watching me and others she gets something out of it. I people watch at the gym and learn new exercises all the time. if she is sitting out and sees something she is interested in she will point out out to me

If she is enjoying it too, tell your ex to eff off.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm signing my 14 year old daughter up soon!
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    you would take her walking or bike riding with you, you would take her canoeing or hiking.
    I think it is good to promote health before there is even a hint of a problem. Healthy habits now will save her lots of heartache and hard times later :)
    YOU are one good example and are helping your daughter be more successful :)
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how they act in the gym, and how you react to their actions.

I took my boys with me to the Y all of the time, somehow I got two gym rats. They both love to lift, something I used to do all through high school and when they were young. And there are plenty of women who bring their kids with them to the exercise room. I think it is a great thing to instill in them.

That being said, the one thing I absolutely *HATE* is when you bring your kids, and they play on the equipment or you change the channels to all of the tvs to Nick and blast some idiot cartoon at me when I was watching the news. I don't believe the exercise rooms are a place for small children. They are clearly marked not for under 14. The equipment isn't a toy to keep children entertained whilst the parents work out, our Y has daycare until 6:00, and people can't use the machine when your child is playing around on it.

I can't tell you the number of times I look down and see small fingers near the treads of the elliptical when I'm on it. I always stop and tell the child to get away from the equipment so they don't get injured. It is generally the same parent who glares at me and tells me they aren't hurting anything. But it will be my a** if her kids get hurt due to her inattention. On the other hand we have a little ballerina that comes in with her mommy, Emma. She always starts out with "Hello Libi, guess what I learned today" After a brief show and tell, she colors or pirouettes or plays with her Barbies in the stretching corner away from the equipment.

Good luck.
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    yes! I took my daughter- SOMETIMES she would get bored and rather be on her phone- but she learned to make the best of the time- we only went to the gym when we couldn't be outdoors and most of the time I played with her- but from time to time we just had to jump on a machine- none the less.....now she's a 22 year old 5'9' 140 pounds totally fit vegan (and I'm an animal eater!) LOL! She may not like it all the time now but she will thank you later :)
    Kudos for being a great mom! :smile:
  • justvap1
    Options
    It all depends on how they act in the gym, and how you react to their actions.

I took my boys with me to the Y all of the time, somehow I got two gym rats. They both love to lift, something I used to do all through high school and when they were young. And there are plenty of women who bring their kids with them to the exercise room. I think it is a great thing to instill in them.

That being said, the one thing I absolutely *HATE* is when you bring your kids, and they play on the equipment or you change the channels to all of the tvs to Nick and blast some idiot cartoon at me when I was watching the news. I don't believe the exercise rooms are a place for small children. They are clearly marked not for under 14. The equipment isn't a toy to keep children entertained whilst the parents work out, our Y has daycare until 6:00, and people can't use the machine when your child is playing around on it.

I can't tell you the number of times I look down and see small fingers near the treads of the elliptical when I'm on it. I always stop and tell the child to get away from the equipment so they don't get injured. It is generally the same parent who glares at me and tells me they aren't hurting anything. But it will be my a** if her kids get hurt due to her inattention. On the other hand we have a little ballerina that comes in with her mommy, Emma. She always starts out with "Hello Libi, guess what I learned today" After a brief show and tell, she colors or pirouettes or plays with her Barbies in the stretching corner away from the equipment.

Good luck.

that would annoy me .....my gym does not allow children under 13
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I bring my 9 year old to the gym with me. He doesn't lift weights, but I let him walk on the treadmill, or do pullups, situps, etc.. He loves coming with me!

However, my gym is a family run very small gym and most of the time I'm one of maybe 3 people in there. I doubt I would ever bring him to LA Fitness, for example (not even sure you can). But I am all for promoting healthy habits.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I take my 12 year old daughter when I can. Of course she is a competitive gymnast so she is already in the gymnastics gym M-F for 20 hours a week! But on occasion I take her on Saturdays with me. She is all muscle already and can pretty much hang with me on some things as it is especially core or legs!