Is anyone else doing the Atkins diet?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It would be better to just adjust your macros to 30% protein and let the other numbers work themselves out. It is more about high protein/low fat than low carbs that really helps you lose the weight. Protein keeps you full and keeps your metabolism going. Your carbs should come from high fiber sources. When you look at it that way it is more about heathy eating than following a specific Meat diet.

I think it's the fat that satiates. Low fat = no bueno.

Well you'd think wrong, it's the protein

I would not be wrong, it's both protein and fat.

A satiety index of common foods.

Protein, fibre, and water contents of the test foods correlated positively with SI scores (r = 0.37, P < 0.05, n = 38; r = 0.46, P < 0.01; and r = 0.64, P < 0.001; respectively) whereas fat content was negatively associated (r = -0.43, P < 0.01).

http://www.ucsyd.dk/fileadmin/user_upload/om_uc_syddanmark/dokumenter/marianne_markers_kursus_NRO/110228_Holt et al Satiety index.pdf
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The atkins plan is basically a crash diet. Crash dieting will only give you temporary results as soon as you're off the atkins plan, you'll be packing the weight back on.

It's not a crash diet.

That's the mistake a lot of people make with Atkins - they only use it short term. Before starting that plan one should really read the book from cover to cover to understand that it isnt a short term fix. Dr. Atkins never intended this to be a plan you follow for 2 weeks, a month, a year and then go back to eating a high carb diet. It's also not intended to eliminate all carbs. It's intent is to rid the cravings for [what I call] junky carbs and eventually eat carbs like veggies, fruits, whole grains. One can successfully be on Atkins for life. I know many people who have adapted his lifestyle for years and havent regained any weight they lost. I've been successful on low carb for the past 2 years as well and my current diet is actually much more restrictive than Atkins.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Considering I'm on a diet and my last name is Atkins, I guess I am on the Atkins' diet. lol jk. Actually my diet is the complete opposite of the 'Atkins Diet'.

LOVE
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Day 3 of the Atkins and I have not yet felt hungry and I have tons of energy! I have read the book and it makes alot of sense. I am also not looking at this as a crash diet but a lifestyle change. As you read the book you will see that you can add crabs back in to your eating plan.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It would be better to just adjust your macros to 30% protein and let the other numbers work themselves out. It is more about high protein/low fat than low carbs that really helps you lose the weight. Protein keeps you full and keeps your metabolism going. Your carbs should come from high fiber sources. When you look at it that way it is more about heathy eating than following a specific Meat diet.

I think it's the fat that satiates. Low fat = no bueno.

Well you'd think wrong, it's the protein

I would not be wrong, it's both protein and fat.

A satiety index of common foods.

Protein, fibre, and water contents of the test foods correlated positively with SI scores (r = 0.37, P < 0.05, n = 38; r = 0.46, P < 0.01; and r = 0.64, P < 0.001; respectively) whereas fat content was negatively associated (r = -0.43, P < 0.01).

http://www.ucsyd.dk/fileadmin/user_upload/om_uc_syddanmark/dokumenter/marianne_markers_kursus_NRO/110228_Holt et al Satiety index.pdf

Cool. I stand corrected. #keepsanopenmind
  • martinah4
    Options
    Day 3 of the Atkins and I have not yet felt hungry and I have tons of energy! I have read the book and it makes alot of sense. I am also not looking at this as a crash diet but a lifestyle change. As you read the book you will see that you can add crabs back in to your eating plan.

Good job!
    Here's what I just had for lunch: a grilled chicken breast on a bed of lettuce, broccoli and a sprinkling of cheese, topped with fresh avocado and ranch dressing. nom nom nom!
    5 net carbs.
  • martinah4
    Options

Good job! (I can pass on the crabs, though--lol)
    Here's what I just had for lunch: a grilled chicken breast on a bed of lettuce, broccoli and a sprinkling of cheese, topped with fresh avocado and ranch dressing. nom nom nom!
    5 net carbs.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I am skeptical of any diet plan that says you can eat as much as you want so long as you don't eat X. It does not matter what X is I just don't see it being true. If you eat 3000 calories of Beef and you only burned 2200 calories in a day I think you are going to gain weight regardless of where or not you have completely avoided carbs and sugar.

Who is eating 3000 calories of beef? That's a bit extreme.

I was just throwing out some numbers to demonstrate a point. The way the Atkins diet was advertised he was claiming that if you don't have any carbs and sugars you can eat anything you want and you will still lose weight. So while nobody is actually going to eat a diet of pure beef Atkins was claiming that hypothetically if beef was the only thing you ate you would still lose weight even if you ignore calories. To me that screams fad diet.
  • lyfwithluv
    lyfwithluv Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Because bad carbs and sugar are so healthy....not so, even in moderation. This is to the uneducated...I literally worked out 2 hours a day and stayed at my appropriate caloric intake for 6 months and lost ten pounds. I was 100 lbs. over weight, so 10 lbs. was absolutely rediculous! I quit eating sugar and bad carbs with Atkins and am down 40 lbs. Whoever downs Atkins is highly uneducated about health. Doctors have now found cancer cells thrive off of glucose, which is carbs and sugar, because cancer cells cannot live without glucose. So guess what doctors are prescribing to cancer patients along with their treatment? You guessed it, a low carb no sugar diet. It's sad to see people here push the idea that all they need is to restrict calories to lose no matter what junk they fill their bodies with. Sugar and bad carbs are bad no matter how you limit it. It's poison for the body and if we choose not to eat poison then let us be....all of you who hate the idea keep on with poisoning your body add I will keep on with keep,ing it out of mine.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Because bad carbs and sugar are so healthy....not so, even in moderation. This is to the uneducated...I literally worked out 2 hours a day and stayed at my appropriate caloric intake for 6 months and lost ten pounds. I was 100 lbs. over weight, so 10 lbs. was absolutely rediculous! I quit eating sugar and bad carbs with Atkins and am down 40 lbs. Whoever downs Atkins is highly uneducated about health. Doctors have now found cancer cells thrive off of glucose, which is carbs and sugar, because cancer cells cannot live without glucose. So guess what doctors are prescribing to cancer patients along with their treatment? You guessed it, a low carb no sugar diet. It's sad to see people here push the idea that all they need is to restrict calories to lose no matter what junk they fill their bodies with. Sugar and bad carbs are bad no matter how you limit it. It's poison for the body and if we choose not to eat poison then let us be....all of you who hate the idea keep on with poisoning your body add I will keep on with keep,ing it out of mine.

There are so many other factors in play besides calories in/calories out. And people are uneducated about the Atkins diet. It is not "no carb, all protein". It is all about getting rid of sugars and unhealthy carbs that effect how your body converts food into fat or energy. I get tired of defending it. I always say, "Do what works for you." This way of eating works with me and millions of other people. You go do your thing, I'll go and do what I know is working for me.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MarissaCB39
    MarissaCB39 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I prefer Atkins over counting calories. I find with Atkins you stay full and satisfied and you still lose weight. I've been on Atkins since June of last year and lost a total of 20 pounds. If you're ready for a LONG commitment then I recommend starting
  • oneheckavagirl
    Options
    My husband and I started Atkins before the holidays. although we ate some carbs (very little, actually) during the holidays, I did not gain weight. We are back on our full time schedule now, and walking 30-45 minutes a day, either outside or inside when it is snowing. I'm looking for tips also.
  • Acg67
    Options

What makes a bad carb bad?
  • oneheckavagirl
    Options
    The New Atkins diet is really good. It is lean protein with lots of vegetables.

I agree. I wish people would stop thinking that all we eat is bacon, topped with mayonnaise and dipped in lard. Just not true! I've never felt better eating this way!
  • oneheckavagirl
    Options
    Giggle. My husband and I are still at the bacon dipped in mayonnaise stage! We are feeling full and learning not to eat bread. That is a biggie. We grew up on sandwiches. But we are getting older, retired. I will get the book and read it! Thanks for all the notes. I still think this is the eating plan for us.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    My Doctor has me reading "Why we are Fat" first and then he wants me to do the New Atkins. He says my blood work will come back 100% improved. And more importantly to me, I may actually get down below this wall I have hit for the last few years. My doctor believes that our extreme low fat diet is actually not good for us. I do believe we need some fat and I know we eat way to many simple carbs (bread, cereals, etc.). This diet is probably similar to Palelo too. Mostly, I think its most important about knowing the balance you need for your life.
  • Acg67
    Options
    My Doctor has me reading "Why we are Fat" first and then he wants me to do the New Atkins. He says my blood work will come back 100% improved. And more importantly to me, I may actually get down below this wall I have hit for the last few years. My doctor believes that our extreme low fat diet is actually not good for us. I do believe we need some fat and I know we eat way to many simple carbs (bread, cereals, etc.). This diet is probably similar to Palelo too. Mostly, I think its most important about knowing the balance you need for your life.

I'd seriously consider a new doctor if he's having you read Taubes' book that has been debunked many times over
  • martinah4
    Options
    Giggle. My husband and I are still at the bacon dipped in mayonnaise stage! We are feeling full and learning not to eat bread. That is a biggie. We grew up on sandwiches. But we are getting older, retired. I will get the book and read it! Thanks for all the notes. I still think this is the eating plan for us.

There are forums on here with all sorts of recipes and advice. I think one of the reasons that people find it so hard to maintain on Atkins, is that they get bored with the food choices. I'm fortunate to have a husband who loves to cook, and likes to experiment with new recipes, so I have a huge variety of meals to choose from.

Good luck to you and your husband!
  • martinah4
    Options

Good for you! I can't wait for you share your results!