For ladies who EAT (a lot) and are actually losing weight

Options

Replies

• xscarletXbegoniasx
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and eating between 2000 and 2400/day, I've yet to lose weight but I did notice 3 inches gone from my waist :)
    I lift heavy with very little cardio also I make sure to eat all my complex carbs before for 2pm.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How come you get to eat so much? Do you calculate your calories somewhere else or on MFP? I'm 173 cm ( 5'8) and I have 70.7 kg (155 pounds) and I have 1380 calories a day (without exercise). I've set to lose 1 pound a week. Am I doing something wrong?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1700 every day regardless of exercise. I just started that this month. Considering I did two years of 1200 plus exercise cals, I feel like a kid in a candy store. I also lost 4 lbs this month already (and uh, up until this month I had been gaining).
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE and eat accordingly.
    I am 5'4" and 188 right now. I was at 205.
    I am at 1620-1720 or so cuz my metabolism is quite sluggish.
    HOWEVER, I have treat days once a week when I go out to eat with my bf or to a birthday party.
    I just started working out this week (had foot surgery) so that is how I did it before and was losing weight and inches.
    I do the Leslie Sansone workouts and will add strength training when I am able (of course she has it built into most workouts).
    Friend me if you'd like.
    :-)
    Glad to see some girls EATING!! YAY!
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and my calorie goal is set at 1740. I enter 1 calorie for my calories burned from exercise.( I just started this this week, I have been struggling over the last couple months but I'm trying to get back to being more consistent. I exercise most day a week, I like walking, playing on the wii fit, tae bo, P90X and turbo fire!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my goal is 1780 calories. I'm still losing weight
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    1800-2000cals a day right here!

I'm 5'8, 168lbs, workout 5 times a week including weightlifting, running, yoga and CrossFit.

Lose roughly 0.5-1lb/week with this.
  • HeatherSanto
    HeatherSanto Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ever since I upped my calories its going quicker. I'm losing so I'm happy!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    How come you get to eat so much? Do you calculate your calories somewhere else or on MFP? I'm 173 cm ( 5'8) and I have 70.7 kg (155 pounds) and I have 1380 calories a day (without exercise). I've set to lose 1 pound a week. Am I doing something wrong?

NO.

There are two ways to do this thing:

(1) The MFP WAY which is use MFP to calculate your NET cals a day and then eat back any exercise cals. So if you do nothign all day, you eat 1380. If you run three miles, you get to eat about 1600. This works fine if your exercise is mainly cardio, especially steady state cardio.

(2) The TDEE way. Calculate your TDEE. This is how much you'd eat every day to stay the same. It already takes into account how much you exercise. Then you reduce it by 20% to lose weight. Under this method, you eat the same regardless of whether you went running. But don't make the mistake of giving up exercise thinking it's all cool- you'll gain weight that way! This is good for peopel who lift or do HIIT or any other exercise that is more than just the calories you burn when you are actively exercising.

At least that's how I understand it.

ETA: I think when I was doing 1200 +, I was eating 1500 a few days a week because I regularly ran 3 miles.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Elsewhere. You need to find your TDEE.

There's a thread on here called "In Place of a Roadmap" that covers it, or if you don't like numbers (like me) just go here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm. :D

MFP's tool is "stupid" and doesn't really take into account everything it should.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'8" and in maintenance mode (just working on building muscle and reducing fat), work out 6 days a week (mostly HIIT and heavy weight lifting), and I also breastfeed a toddler. For me, maintenance is about 3300 a day. ;) I achieved rapid weight loss (30 pounds in 8 weeks) at 2600-2700 cals a day.

Yay for people who eat a lot! :)

omg breastfeeding is the best way to loose weight. I lost 30 pounds in one month when I had my bby and breastfed. I went back to work and pumped but didnt produced alot of milk so it dried :(
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am clearly doing something wrong!

I workout everyday at the gym (cardio, circuit machines...about 45-60 minutes).
    I resist temptation (sweets, junk food, soda, etc.)
    I log my food.
    Drink my water.
    Eat about 1300 calories/day.

And, the scale has NOT moved! In fact, I have gained a pound!

HELP!!!

I kind of am in the same boat. After reading everyone else, maybe we need to bump our calorie intake up???
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear the answers here. I am struggling with this right now. I lost easily at 1200 net calories, but I seem to be gaining on my reccommended maintenance, which is around 1500 net calories. (I'm 5'3", and 45.) I'm actually eating around 1700 calories, or more, on days I exercise. Not sure what's going on here. I know age, height, sex, body composition, etc. all affect this, so I'm curious. . . .
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am clearly doing something wrong!

I workout everyday at the gym (cardio, circuit machines...about 45-60 minutes).
    I resist temptation (sweets, junk food, soda, etc.)
    I log my food.
    Drink my water.
    Eat about 1300 calories/day.

And, the scale has NOT moved! In fact, I have gained a pound!

HELP!!!

MFP had good intentions with the eat back exercise cals mentality although cal burns are severely overestimated in the database for a lot of activities. Also, the site's formula I think is more geared toward people who mostly just eat less to lose weight as opposed to smaller deficits from TDEE and working out.

Check out fitnessfrog.com, calc your BMR and TDEE (be honest about activity levels, if anything be a little conservative) and then create a 10% deficit from your TDEE.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    5'11 218 lbs, eat about 2000-2500 calories a day with my macros set at 20% Carb, 30% Protein, 50% Fats.

I work out 4 days a week, and it's a combination of lifting and high intensity cardio (hill sprints, track sprints, running stairs, playing soccer, playing Aussie Rules Football, fighter fitness classes etc.)

I'm losing between half a pound and a lb a week.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options

NO.

There are two ways to do this thing:

(1) The MFP WAY which is use MFP to calculate your NET cals a day and then eat back any exercise cals. So if you do nothign all day, you eat 1380. If you run three miles, you get to eat about 1600. This works fine if your exercise is mainly cardio, especially steady state cardio.

(2) The TDEE way. Calculate your TDEE. This is how much you'd eat every day to stay the same. It already takes into account how much you exercise. Then you reduce it by 20% to lose weight. Under this method, you eat the same regardless of whether you went running. But don't make the mistake of giving up exercise thinking it's all cool- you'll gain weight that way! This is good for peopel who lift or do HIIT or any other exercise that is more than just the calories you burn when you are actively exercising.

At least that's how I understand it.

ETA: I think when I was doing 1200 +, I was eating 1500 a few days a week because I regularly ran 3 miles.

Thank you for the explanation. I just walk for now so I think I will stay with MPF way. I'm not hungry and I always eat my exercise calories. :)
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    bump
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I would love to hear the answers here. I am struggling with this right now. I lost easily at 1200 net calories, but I seem to be gaining on my reccommended maintenance, which is around 1500 net calories. (I'm 5'3", and 45.) I'm actually eating around 1700 calories, or more, on days I exercise. Not sure what's going on here. I know age, height, sex, body composition, etc. all affect this, so I'm curious. . . .

Some questions:
    1. how much weight did you lose?
    2. how long did it take?
    3. were you eating back exercise calories when you were losing?
    4. what is your current exercise regimen? what was it when you were losing? (i.e. no weight lifting before, only cardio. now weightlifting)
    5. were you restricting carbs when you were losing? are you now?
    6. how much do you weigh?