WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    OH, I do love Saturdays.

Whew!

Jb, “If you want to be thinning, diminish your dinner!” Oh yeah!

Jane I am so sorry to hear about your foot. I had an operation last spring have a metal plate put in to replace the joint in my big toe (arthritis), so I don’t have sesamoids in that foot anymore, it’s fused! I don’t have a limp and I can wear shoes with heels, but not super high heels. I can’t do lunges or things that mean putting weight on a flexed back foot. I do front planks and push–ups with my feet on a bosu ball. Good luck with your “outside” consult.

Hi Michele in NC – already shopping for next Christmas, you are clever! I am with you on the ironing. I used to do DH’s shirts but now that “wrinkle free’ has been invented everything else is gone. I do make an exception for is fancy Italian linen shirt, but that’s only a couple of time a year.

Wessecg – I know what you mean about the retirement package! I love my job but the moment my number is up, I’m outta there! My retirement day is October 1, 2018 and you can bet my first month’s pension that I’ll be gone on October 2nd. DH will be gone sooner. Like Michele’s husband was, he’s been in his position for a long time and in many ways the joy has gone out of it for him. His company has just been sold & there’s a “re-organization” going on…not a happy time.

Barbie, the image of you teaching a line dance class with a microphone on a cord is quite funny! I am glad you did not trip on the cord!

Lila, I think I’ll try “Wild” – a dose of fiction might be relaxing. Is it sunny on your side of the pass? We’ve had two days of brilliant weather on our side of the mountains.

Ya-hoo Amanda, on test result., so glad the Dr’s don’t think it’s cancer.

Linda C in North Ontario (sounds like a Neil Young song!) great idea to bring your own snacks to the hockey game. Our rec center just got a new caterer to take on the concession stand and it’s super healthy food – I am so pleased. The kids who were used to hot dogs and cheesy nachos may not be, though.

Judy in SoCal – I want to know what a MELT class is! I use the TRX at our gym a lot, can’t imagine a whole room full of them.

The sun is shining and calling me out to play.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy in the Kootenays (SE British Columbia)

January goals:

6 workouts a week
    Connect to my family (emails once a week to parents & sisters)

“Connect” is my word for 2013. I will try to make a new connection each month (this is inspired by The Happiness Project)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Amanda, I am so happy your diagnosis is NOT cancer. I appreciated yoyonomore55's sentiment "Glad your scan came back with food news..." I have dietary issues and they cause pain if I eat the wrong thing. This has been going on since college days when my doctor put me on tranquilizers that did no good. My Arab roomie told me that I should stop drinking milk and she was right. The good news is that you can usually do something about digestive things and her advice worked wonders for me. I wonder if you current situation is related to some specific food. After you get past the infection you might want to look into that possibility. The positive thing about food intolerance is that when you know what it is, you can take charge of your own health.

jb_2011- I live right next to the Columbia River at an elevation of 30 feet according to my Roadmate navigation app. We have different weather than the Portland area at times because of topography. We don't experience bone chilling east winds like Portland does, but we do get plenty of winds with coastal influences. A week or two ago we had snow when Portland didn't, and that is quite unusual for us.

janehadjl- I'm sorry you can't jump rope for now. Perhaps you can find a substitute exercise that doesn't put so much pressure on your toes. I injured my feet doing downward dog in yoga last summer, and I'm only now able to do it again. (And I am very careful when I do.) Feet take a long time to heal because they're always under pressure. Foot and knee issues are the reasons I decided to lose weight, and led me to MFP. I want to have pain free fun, and that turns out to be a big dollop of motivation for me.

Enjoy the day.

Katla from NW Oregon

Oh, I forgot to ask! Does anyone know how to add nutrition information from vitamins and supplements to our tracking? Is it even possible?
  • dmendel64
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Wishing you all a happy. healthy weekend!!

quote;
    WE CAN CHANGE OUR LIVES. WE CAN DO, HAVE, AND BE EXACTLY WHAT WE WISH.
    Tony Robbins
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Getting ready for a webinar but I wanted to take a moment to share this lovely image with you. Life is good in Dallas - the rain is back and the temps are supposed to drop again - for now it's off to work I go; so glad it's at home :smile:

296463587940287427_AtbfihrP_c.jpg
  • hairycarrie
    hairycarrie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Carrie and I have had an epiphany this week! I have fought my right (like a typical alcoholic) to indulge in my Intrnational delights Almond Joy cream. It gave me such joy so I thought. A friend of mine who has had byass surgery suggested I try cream for one day just so I don't crash by the end of the day. OMG the difference is incredible! Bye bye Almond Joy discovering you really give me no joy only samoa butt.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all, had a group lunch meeting and ate a grilled chicken salad. Still more calories than I wanted to spend but it was good. I skipped the croutons and watered my Tbsp of dressing. It was harder than hell to get them to bring me small, half, not as much dressing on the side. Then I mixed some of my water with it. It gives it taste without all the calories.

It is so nice here today, that we have our windows open. The cats are loving it.

I agree with exermom, IRON that's a four letter word. The only thing I iron is my cross stitch when I am done and I need to frame it.

Linda C- I make sure I have a snack in my car for after swimming, and I keep glucose tablets in my car/locker. That has never been a problem for me while I exercise. It is usually if I have forgotten to eat or if I haven't eaten in hours. I try to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks daily. I make sure I do on swimming days.

I need to go put my shorts on. Tigress in GA
  • mouth5667
    Options
    My plan for today was to take on Renny's fruit and vegetable challenge. Got up this morning to find that my sweet husband had made me bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns. He was so proud of himself! He had baked the bacon, poached the eggs, and cooked the hashbrowns in a non-stick skillet. What do you do? You eat your breakfast! (and boy was it good!) So, for lunch it was all about the vegetables!

Sorry to hear so many of you are either ill or injured! I wish you all quick healing.

I've got to go do some (major) housework. I'll check on everyone later!

Lori H
    Rainy Southwest Missouri
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I heard that the link to the veggie challenge did not work for a while. I do not know what happened. Here it is again: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/848170-fruit-veggie-1-day-challenge-saturday-jan-12-2013

Good luck
    Renny
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Amanda - so glad for your news...I hope it is correctable through diet...you have definitely learned how to make the changes to your lifestyle

All you ladies with the minus numbers for temps..yikes...I am in NY but you are definitely made of sterner stuff than me!

Had a nice nsv today...a couple of years ago I did a lot of exercises out of Denise Austin's book using exercise ball...one that I really struggled with...natural tummy tuck, basically in a plank on the ball and you roll the ball in and out of your body in a tuck...not sure that made sense...anyway...I used to struggle to do 6...today I did 10 with no problem...next time I will do at least 12 and keep working it up. I also recumbent biked 5 miles and 1k on the rower. I am a little behind on my goals mileage-wise but I have added my weights back in so so far so good!:bigsmile:

Tomorrow I will be doing the fruit/veggie challenge...last week I found myself trying to continue some of the menu changes after the challenge...some sustainable changes for me...I am liking it!

Have a nice weekend...we are out to dinner (Mexican) tonight with friends...I am not a big fan of Mexican food but will try to not be to over the limit....wine wont be the issue...I am the driver tonight:laugh:

Hope everyone not feeling well...gets better soon...flu is going through the office...lots of hand washing and lysol wipes on office equipment!
    :heart:
    Jen

Ps my almost 80 year old mother who has developed a pot belly in the last 10 years(prior to that never weighed more than 120) has started counting calories. She is currently eating breakfast (she thinks oj and coffee is breakfast) and has lost 1.5 lbs..she is very happy with herself..but I won't let her join this thread...lol....where would I vent:wink::laugh:
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It is a beautiful, sunny, wind-free day here in southern alberta and after our dump of snow it looks a bit like a Christmas card out there. And yes, I did have to go out for a walk and soak it all in - startling blue sky, cold crisp air, snow covered evergreens and glistening snow covered fields......glorious!!:love:

Robin - So sorry about your work stress. I hope you are able to recharge and rejuvinate this weekend.

Cheryl - You celebrate that weight loss over the past couple of months - especially since some of us are working on what we GAINED:huh: in the same time period. Good for you!!:flowerforyou:

JaneH - ouch. It is so frustrating when you can't get a definitive answer for a physical problem. I hope you are able to get some clear answers on your foot and a definite plan of action. Maybe you will have to retreat to Mexico to recuperate....need some company? :smooched:

Lila - I am kind of loving this snow - crazy, I know but it is so beautiful!

Amanda- yay for what sounds like might be good results. Boo for the low fibre diet - but it is temporary, right? And better than what other news might have brought.

texasgal - thanks for the fruit of the spirit photo - all things that I truly want to characterize my life.

Enjoy the day ladies. Have a great weekend. Go well, stay well.

Glenda in absolutely, stunningly beautiful(today:smile: ) southern Alberta
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I lost another post:sad: ! I`ve spent over 30 minutes typing only to have it go into cyber space:explode: ! I will not attempted to post it again:frown: !

Amanda:smile: Glad things are looking better!!!

Jen:smile: I just had to laugh when you said you won`t let your mom join the thread:laugh: ! No matter how old we are, it doesn`t change things!!!

Glenda:smile: The snow sounds lovely, I would love to see a pic of it, but you can keep it there:wink: !

I have a cold, woke up with it this morning:sick: ...for some reason I thought since I got a flu shot I was immune to everything going around..ha...not so much!

Okay I really do have to get up now, the behind is going numb:blushing: .

Have a wonderful evening ladies!

Make sure you`ve had all of your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: !!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee ( holding my breath this one will post)
  • housegirl2
    housegirl2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    today is my birthday. Instead of cake I was given a box of California cuties (clementines)
  • homesbyd
    homesbyd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im new, and over 50... just started MFP, and not sure where to post this question, so forgive me in advance... I had yogurt at 2am last night... where do i log it, day before or next day???
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday house girl 2.Nice gift.
    My back is so sore from yesterday,took it easy today.
    Hubby is on the mend,looks almost human,thanks for the well wishes.
    Suppose to get cold weather here.Was in the 40-50`s all week.
    Enjoy your night.
    HUGS
    jane m
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    today is my birthday. Instead of cake I was given a box of California cuties (clementines)

happy Birthday Housegirl2!! Hope your day is fabulous:flowerforyou:
    Im new, and over 50... just started MFP, and not sure where to post this question, so forgive me in advance... I had yogurt at 2am last night... where do i log it, day before or next day???

Homesbyd - I log it the day before. I count my breakfast as the first meal of the new day. But I don't think that is any kind of rule at al :laugh: :laugh:

:tongue: Not sure where this day went. A little busy.

Currently eating a pomegranate. Now that is what I call a whole new way of eating :bigsmile: :bigsmile: because what you eat is the seeds. I am interested to hear how anyone else thinks about the pomegranate.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good evening all!

Does anyone know of any DVDs for weight training? I have free weights, a kettle bell, and a resistance band, but need a good routine to follow.

Thanks in advance.

Deb A
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Love pomegranites.yum
  • SueR1960
    SueR1960 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just found this too! My daughters showed my MFP and I really like it so far. I've been here a week and have a long way to go. Anyone have some tips on how to get in the 8 glasses of water? I prefer diet colas over water!
  • mouth5667
    Options
    Just thought I would do a quick post. We are having freezing rain here and I'm afraid we might lose power.

I pretty good with Renny's fruits and vegetable challenge (well, except for the breakfast!) and I credit these types of challenges for getting me to look closer at WHAT I am eating and not just the calories. It has really made a big difference this past week.

Housegirl2: Happy Birthday! Sounds to me like you have a good support system in place if someone got you clementines instead of a cake!

Renny: I like pomegranates. Take the seeds and put them on a tossed salad. They add flavor and crunch. I have a friend who really likes them on cottage cheese.

Tigress: Thanks for the water in your salad dressing idea! Sometimes I want a creamy dressing but the lower calorie ones either aren't available or more likely, taste like cr*p! I will have to try this idea the next time I'm craving the creamy stuff.

Geri: My idea of ironing is to get a wash cloth wet and throw it in the dryer with whatever is wrinkled.. Turn the dryer on for 15 minutes and set my timer for 12 minutes. That way I don't forget (again!) to get whatever it is out of the dryer. I don't remember who said "If it needs ironing, it gets donated to the Salvation Army." but I agree!

Djhobs: I laughed out loud when I read that you wouldn't let your mom on here!

Well, girls, I better get off of here and get some water drawn up (we are on a well) just in case the power does go out. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Lori H
    Southwest Missouri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I was prepared this morning to walk solely in the grassy meadow behind the house if the roads were too icy. When I headed out for the walk before daylight I couldn’t tell about the roads but I found that I could walk safely in front of the houses on the strip of rocks and across the driveways so we walked around our block several times until there was enough daylight to see if the roads were dry enough to cross then we headed off to other parts of the neighborhood. It was great to come home after a walk in 25 degree weather and find that Jake had built a fire.

:flowerforyou: We watched the very exciting football game played in Denver….the weather there made out weather here look warm by comparison….I did my weight training and rode the recumbent bike while watching.
    Amanda, I’m thinking positive thoughts for the rest of the results from your tests

:flowerforyou: Deb A……if the dances had been anything but beginner dances I couldn’t have done them with the corded mike……it reminded me of when I try dancing while I have two dogs on leashes….I’d love to have you in my dance classes…..we’d have a lot of fun……I started my weight training with books as reference “Strong Women Stay Young” and “Strength Training for Women” and used them to design my own program.

:flowerforyou: Jane, knitting is such a great way to relax and get over the rough spots.

:flowerforyou: Renny, I didn’t actually join the fruit and veggie challenge but I made beef stew today that was a little beef and a lot of potatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, and peas

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, I am overjoyed to see you posting again……you have been such a special part of my weight loss journey and there has been an empty space without you.

:flowerforyou: Janehadji, I send hugs and positive thoughts to you for better news about your foot.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, you were my inspiration to do lunges and now I find out that you can’t do them anymore…but it sounds like you can do almost everything else.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Jen, you cracked me up about not letting your mother join our thread

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, I’ve lost so many posts that I routinely write them in a word document then copy and paste them in the reply box and add the smileys

:flowerforyou: Housegirl, congrats on letting the people close to you know that you don’t want empty calories added to your life…..Happy Birthday

:flowerforyou: Sue R., welcome…….if you want to drink 8 glasses of water a day, make it a priority like taking antibiotics when you have pneumonia----just do it because it will improve your health.

:flowerforyou: Tigress, thanks for sharing the water in your salad dressing idea.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

My word for for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.

Resolutions for January
    *Be agreeable----say OK
    * Yoga once a week
    *Walk with hubby once a week
    *Weight training three times a week