Instead of, I eat...

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Some of these make me sad. :P

I have discovered quinoa, which I generally substitute for rice. It's especially awesome in my shrimp fried rice recipe.

Sweet potatoes are great and I agree with the comment about not needing as many toppings (I put sour cream on mine).

Danon Oikos makes a key lime flavor that is awesome and way lower-calorie than actual key lime pie. Since it's thick it actually has a similar texture to the real thing.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    its not etched in stone but when i need sweets i take protein powder, a cup of frozen berries and a cup of cold water and make a shake ..its really sweet and creamy and tastes great ..also very filling .... also almond butter and sugarless jam on toasted arnold's bagel thin or sandwich thin is good too ... as opposed to ice cream or the typical peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    instead of chocolate chip cookies and oreos i'm eating peanuts or almonds
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't have too many big dietary changes beyond these few:

Instead of soda, I drink water. How boring! :yawn:
    Instead of Marie Callender frozen meals, I have a Healthy Choice frozen meal. Still really good but about 1/3 the salt. :drinker:
    Instead of chips, I'll have a fruit. I'm addicted to oranges!!! :love:
    Instead of a fast food burger, I suck on air. :laugh:
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    when sweet cravings strike, I make PB2 Mousse instead of reaching for a candy bar or cake/pie/cookies.

1 cup Kool Whip Free
    1 tbs PB2

Stir them together until thick and creamy. If you want to be super indulgent, drizzle with a little Hershey's syrup.
    Tastes naughty but is oh so nice!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Bump! So many great ideas!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm also a nut snacker, lol. Instead of crackers or cookies I have nuts or cheese.
    Instead of chips, I slice up cucumber or peppers and dip them in hummus, peanut butter or yogurt dip. They key is finding a nutritious dip that you crave. That will make you WANT to eat the vegetables.
    Instead of just grabbing the first thing I see for lunch, I think ahead and plan out what I'm going to have.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I found that for lunch it is very easy for me to over do it on bread and toppings, because I don't feel full. So instead of lunching with sandwiches I have salad, baked eggs with veggies or leftovers from dinner that I keep in the freezer in lunch sized portions.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Instead of butter on my english muffin, I use 1 tblsp coconut oil-yummeee
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Instead of French fries I eat really crispy roasted green beans.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    Instead of mayonnaise I'll use cranberry sauce or sweet chilli sauce. Well sometimes still some mayo but I used to put it on everything. I don't like low fat versions of things because I don't like some of the ingredients they add so I'd rather find a substitute and kep the real thing as a treat :happy:
  • Instead of chips, I eat popcorn
    Instead of Sprite, I drink unsweet iced tea.
    Instead of a whole roll of cookie dough, I eat my homemade protein bars.
    Instead of a half-gallon of ice cream, I eat one serving of ice cream. :laugh:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I'm with Alex...I turn to protein a lot especially nuts. I have a variety of nuts in my pantry and in my classroom at work.

yes sweetie...we LOVE our nuts...

all varieties, shapes and sizes....

don't we.

Heheheheheh :wink:

I use protein powder and some lite Hershey's syrup with milk in my coffee instead of coffee mate. BIG difference in fullness, helps my macros tremendously, and oh, the calories...well, let's just say that when I first started measuring last January I discovered that I added @300 calories of that Italian Sweet Cream ish to my coffee every morning. Um, nothanksbye.

I want to do this...but every time I use my protein powder it's all clumpy and ugly in my coffee...any tips would be GREAT!

edited to fix my post because apparently I can't post without an error tonight......sighs

Put the powder in the mug first, then add a little bit of coffee. Stir and stir and mush all of the clumps out. then add more coffee, milk and/or syrup (i also use sugar free torani sometimes) to keep it from getting lumpy, add liquid very gradually and stir, stir, stir. Let me know how it turns out! :)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Instead of chips, I eat popcorn
    Instead of Sprite, I drink unsweet iced tea.
    Instead of a whole roll of cookie dough, I eat my homemade protein bars.
    Instead of a half-gallon of ice cream, I eat one serving of ice cream. :laugh:

And check out the results...hot, hot, HOT!! :love:
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Instead of Bourbon, stick to Beer!
  • terranowhere
    terranowhere Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got a "chipster" from EPICURE and thinly slice a potato (or yam or apple or carrot or.....) and lay single layer on chipster, a dash of salt for flavor and "zap" for 4min- voila- chips. My teen-age son and daughter love them too and there's absolutely NO FAT, just the carb calories. We also use hummus instead of mayo- extra protein and use different flavoured ones for a change! great in tuna salad
  • caseyg9888
    Options
    Instead of soda... Water
    Instead of regular pasta.... Whole wheat
    Instead of a big plate of white rice.... Only 1/3 or 1 cup of whole wheat rice
    Instead of juice..... Unsweetened tea

Whole wheat rice?
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular pie, I make protein pie. Instead of mint chocolate chip ice cream, I make mint chocolate chip spinach protein ice cream. instead of brownies I make.... Well, I haven't found a good substitution for brownies, (the protein ones don't compare), so I have brownies on special occasions.

Can I have the ice cream recipe? I love the idea of spinach hidden in there.

1 scoop of protein powder, (with vanilla the spinach will turn the shake green, with chocolate it will be greenish brown. I prefer vanilla for looks)

1/2 tsp peppermint extract
    1/4 cup milk
    2 to 3 cups of spinach, or as much as you want. (if you freeze it first, it will help thicken the shake)
    sweetener to taste.
    1 frozen banana
    1 tbsp dark chocolate chips. (optional)
    blend in a blender.
    I will either drink it as a thick shake, or freeze it in an ice cube tray. then I can pop out the cubes, and mix when I'm ready to eat it.

sometimes I'll top it with lite whipping cream, and chocolate syrup for a sundae.

Bump for recipe.

I use 2% Fage Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. I had been using fat free, but the 2% has a better mouthfeel and is a dead-on imposter for full fat sour cream.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Instead of a donuts-eat TOAST!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I started eating fruit for dessert. I like something sweet after dinner, so fruit did the trick. I still eat chocolate sometimes though.