Instead of, I eat...

Options

Replies

• ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Instead of spaghetti, I eat spaghetti-squash.
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    instead of lard , i eat butter
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Instead of a whole serving of salad dressing (example - 2 tablespoons of blue cheese dressing), I mix it half and half with low calorie dressing or light sour cream.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular pie, I make protein pie. Instead of mint chocolate chip ice cream, I make mint chocolate chip spinach protein ice cream. instead of brownies I make.... Well, I haven't found a good substitution for brownies, (the protein ones don't compare), so I have brownies on special occasions.

Can I have the ice cream recipe? I love the idea of spinach hidden in there.

1 scoop of protein powder, (with vanilla the spinach will turn the shake green, with chocolate it will be greenish brown. I prefer vanilla for looks)

1/2 tsp peppermint extract
    1/4 cup milk
    2 to 3 cups of spinach, or as much as you want. (if you freeze it first, it will help thicken the shake)
    sweetener to taste.
    1 frozen banana
    1 tbsp dark chocolate chips. (optional)
    blend in a blender.
    I will either drink it as a thick shake, or freeze it in an ice cube tray. then I can pop out the cubes, and mix when I'm ready to eat it.

sometimes I'll top it with lite whipping cream, and chocolate syrup for a sundae.

This sounds fabulous. I need to try this. If it's as good as it sounds, I will name my next child after you.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Instead of milk (2%, whole, etc), I use Silk Almond Milk. (silk almond milk mixed with Nestle's cocoa powder is so much better than regular chocolate milk)
    Sometimes instead of mashed potatoes, i eat mashed cauliflower.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Chips and other snack foods with nuts, seeds and dried fruit, usually raisins.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Instead of a whole serving of salad dressing (example - 2 tablespoons of blue cheese dressing), I mix it half and half with low calorie dressing or light sour cream.

I used to put the dressing on the side and dip my fork into the dressing, then stab some salad. I always used significantly less.
  • chantaltorrigino
    Options
    Instead of eating sweets after dinner I drink a hot Herbal tea with no sugar
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Instead of a 400 calorie brick of ramen, I eat Vietnamese tapioca noodles... 20 calories a serving!

Instead of salad dressing, I use balsamic vinegar and coarse sea salt.

Instead of olive oil and tahini to make my hummus, I use the liquid from the can of garbanzo beans and some PB2.

Instead of spaghetti and meatballs, I eat my meatballs on a huge pile of raw baby spinach.

This is how I still have calories to spare for wine, because there is no "instead of" for red wine!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Instead of sweets (particularly cookies), I eat almond "cookies." I just throw some raw almonds, a little cocoa, light agave nectar, and sometimes a tablespoon or so of almond milk into my food processor and it makes a dough-like texture that tastes delicious. I separate it into several cookie-sized balls and stick it in the fridge. Sometimes I add some crushed, rather than completely butter-ized, almonds on top for some added crunchiness. Delicious, and super low calorie/full of protein.
  • razan312002
    Options
    Walden Farms Alfredo sauce. Zero calories, carbs, and sugar. I add it as a base to soups and sauces. You can season it up to your own taste. Their dressings and B.B Q sauce also zero.:wink:
  • stargazer008
    Options
    When I am craving sweets, I turn to fat and protein because whenever I am craving sweets, it means I am hungry. Or if the fat and protein is not enough to satisfy me, I'll have tea.
  • NikkieKC
    Options
    I have always had a cake or something sweet after dinner but have recently had a jelly (a Hertleys 10 calorie one) or a weightwatchers whip which come in Banoffee, chocolate and strawberry. I have also started having Special K bars and fruit.
    I too drink diet fizzy drinks but only ones that don't contain aspartame in. Also dried fruit, especially cranberries. :)
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    [
    I use protein powder and some lite Hershey's syrup with milk in my coffee instead of coffee mate. BIG difference in fullness, helps my macros tremendously, and oh, the calories...well, let's just say that when I first started measuring last January I discovered that I added @300 calories of that Italian Sweet Cream ish to my coffee every morning. Um, nothanksbye.

I want to do this...but every time I use my protein powder it's all clumpy and ugly in my coffee...any tips would be GREAT!

edited to fix my post because apparently I can't post without an error tonight......sighs

I use unjury chocolate splendor protein powder...it's smooth,tasty and not gritty with warm or cold. It does say that you can't put it in anything hotter than 130 degrees or the protein will denature and clump. in fact, i bought a trial pack of their flavors and it came with a thermometer. Try adding it to cooler liquids and see if that helps
  • Aoife_Eile
    Aoife_Eile Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Instead of sandwiches I have salads or wraps
    Instead of sugar in my tea I have Splenda.
    Instead of a biscuits or chocolate I have a rice cake
    Instead of crisps I have popcorn
    Instead of crisps I have fruit
    Instead of cereal or toast in the morning I have porridge
  • DeeMcG11
    Options
    bump
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Instead of 3 slices of pizza, a bunch of buffalo wings & a few beers .......

I have 1 slice of pizza, a side salad ..... and maybe 1 beer ......

:drinker:
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular chips I eat the baked variety or none at all. (although sunchips are still the bomb once in a while)
    Instead of 5 oz of wine I drink 12 oz of light beer. (1/2 the cals and twice the liquid)
    Instead of eating out weekly we eat out about once a month and make better choices when we do

Most importantly regardless of WHAT I'm eating instead of eating like a pig I eat real portion sizes
  • kristaleighwhite
    kristaleighwhite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    when I was craving before i would always turn to carbs or sugar....

chips, candy, etc...

lately when I crave I try to turn to protein (I'm not always successful) but I keep nuts, boiled eggs, I always have a crockpot left over in the fridge since I crock pot a LOT. snack on about a 1/3 cup of that and I'm SO full. It's heavy, dense and fills me up for a fraction of the amount.

THIS! Protein and a wee bit of "good" fat...

I love nuts, boiled/poached eggs, and even cheese (usually low-fat swiss or skim milk slices). I keep crackers in my desk at work to eat with the cheese and this does so much for averting such cravings.

:smile:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Home made popcorn. You get the salt, you get the crunch, it fills you up, and low, low calories. Plus so easy on the budget.