Boy do I need to move out.

Options
My mom knows i'm counting my calories and going to the gym (since we go together, lol) and i've told her numerous times not to buy certain food items. Yesterday she walks in the door with one of the items i didn't want. Today? Did it again with another one i mentioned. I scold her for it and she just laughs and says "don't eat them" when she knows how hard that's going to be for me, as they're my favorite and i'm the only one in the family that eats them.

I feel like the only way to stop this is to move out and buy my own groceries. yikes..

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes. it's time.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    she just laughs and says "don't eat them"

I agree with your mom.
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That's no good! If you have the ability to move out, that might be your best option. If not, summon up all the strength you have to say no to those items. Remember how good you will feel when you get to your goal!!!

Being healthy And happy feels way better than any food tastes :)
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    Well you can either throw the item away and stay or move out. If you keep throwing the item away may be she will get the hint.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My mum is similarly frustrating - I have sat down with her before and spent literally 3 hours writing a shopping list just for her to go straight out and buy stuff that we had agreed was not on it under the excuse of 'Your dad/your sisters/my grandkids like it'.

Even though my sisters and I no longer live at home and have pointed out repeatedly we don't want that stuff (junk food) in our houses she will still bring it over in really large quantities.

It drives me nuts!
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Can't you do your own grocery shopping? Why is your mom responsible for your choices?
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Learn to deal with temptations; they're always going to be there.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Not that I don't sympathize, but that's the way life is. I can't expect my husband to stop buying his favorites just because it's hard for me to avoid eating them. Your mom is well within her rights as long as she isn't spending your money.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to learn to control yourself at some time or another. Unless your mom is holding you down and forcing you to eat this stuff, you do control whether or not you eat them. Personally I don't do well with deprivation...If there is something 'naughty' in the house and I want to eat it, I will. I just have a serving though. Maybe try that? Just having a little bit. Once you know you can 'always' have something, it loses it's grip on your mind so to speak.
  • Tell her things you really want. Only tell her you don't want them. Be like chicken, eggs, veggies, and fruits I don't want that mess in here.
  • amberdust
    Options
    if you can afford to move out then you can absolutely afford to buy your own groceries. make it a habbit and don't even eat with your family anymore. eat only the food you buy.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Moofey? Is that you?
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well you can either throw the item away and stay or move out. If you keep throwing the item away may be she will get the hint.

This!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you don't need to move out. you need to have some self-control and discipline.
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    My mother does the same thing. "Then make the decision not to eat them!" I told her that I have and I won't eat them, so it will just sit in the pantry forever.
    Bummer I'm not allowed to get a job and thus move out...
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    she just laughs and says "don't eat them"

I agree with your mom.

I think this is the case. It doesn't matter where you are. With your parents, at work, out with friends. No matter where you go there's going to be some sort of temptation to eat something you shouldn't or to eat something good in excess. No one is putting the food in your mouth but you.

If you really want to show her up don't eat a single one. Let the stuff sit until it's nothing but mold and I bet she never buys it again. At this point she probably doesn't believe that you're serious. People around you don't get it until you show them and prove it to them. No one at my house bats an eye when they see me weighing cereal or counting out almonds. They know that's what I do and respect it. You have to earn that status so get out there and do it.

You're good. You've got this worked out cause you're the boss right? Show'em what you're made of.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

This!

Or she'll throw you out - one or the other...
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    Listen I have two kids and I have junk food in my house but I do not eat it. And yes my mother will come over and bring more junk but I do not eat it. I only eat gluten free stuff and she knows it. It is all about will power. My mother will sometimes call me and ask me I am at the grocery store do you want this and I will say no and she buys it anyway and you know what I take it back or tell her to eat it. And I do not live with my mom.
  • blinkiii
    Options
    I hear you girl. I have to exact same problem. I say just throw the food away. That will piss her off and then maybe she won't do it again. Another thing that you could do is go grocery shopping with her so then you can be absolutely sure that she won't buy any of your problem foods.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think the OP has a point if, like she said, she is the only one who eats the items she has asked her mom not to purchase. If that's the case, what is it, other than sabotage?