Master Cleanse! aka Lemonade Diet .. My 30 day story.

Options
Hello There (:

I made this profile a long time ago but now I'm only going to start using it to share/receive information with fellow people like you guys! :D

ANYWAYS.. let me tell you guys about the Master Cleanse when I was on it! I started at 162 lbs

So.. I gave it a try for 5 days lost 7 lbs and then failed.. when I failed it was uncontrollable binge eating.. seriously. At first I would only eat one chicken wing and danggg... I would be SOO FULL! The next day however.... I ate Chinese Food and everything.. a lot more than I usually would have.. 2 weeks shortly after I gained even more than my original weight at 164 and feeling a lot more sluggish and bloated.

I then gave it another try.. and this time I did a whole 30 days and lost 17 lbs leaving me at 143 !!! I was going to go for 40 but for a whole week.. I stopped losing weight and felt very fatigue so I decided to see the doctor and nutritionist at my university. When I got off the cleanse.. I had such a hard time adjusting my body to food again.. I would eat a little and my stomach would be hard and stick out as if I was pregnant. I also had problems where I couldn't poop (lol) because my body was so used to that Detox Senna Leaf Tea so my body basically shut down in it's bowel movements... I couldn't have peristalsis which is that wavelike squeezing movements of your intestines to get your poop out.. lol ANYWAYS.. I also took Nutrition class and did a lot of research to find out that my body was also going through ketosis because of the lack of carbs I had in my body... which is like the (no carb diet) .. which is why I now believe that you need to have a balance of everything when you want a healthy lifestyle.. If I had just ate healthy.. and did my exercises consistently that whole month instead of the master cleanse.. I would have lost 10 pounds, gained instead of losing muscle.. as well as kept it off. Although I went from 164 - 143.. I eventually gained it back and now I am at 160 and feel healthy again .. It took a long time to get back to square one and for the longest time I wasn't worried about my weight anymore but actually all the damage I did to my body.

I just wanted to share this story with you guys that the cleanse.. was an easy weight loss.. but it doesn't last long..
the side effects outweighs the benefits by a long run. If you guys want me to post pictures of the youtube videos I made a long the way I can do that... although it's kind of embarrassing :( Just trying to help as many people avoid this situation as possible. :noway:

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/10i8mf5.png width="200"[/img]

i775l1.png

AFTER (I was not sticking my stomach out.. It was very painful and I panicked and prayed for my body to come back to normal)
j0v1vk.png

Conclusion:
Everyone wants an easy way out.. I heard 1/10 stories that it was successful.. that there was a small chance I could keep off the weight I lost.. BUT you just have to remember that no matter how hard you try.. no matter how hard everyone else tries.. you can't always think you can be the exception. I WAS IN COMPLETE DENIAL.. that this wouldn't work.. when I clicked on Youtube videos.. I would just x out the videos that were negative.. because I didn't want to believe that it didn't work. I wanted to test it out for myself.. so that I could be the exception. There's no exceptions. Diet & Exercise all the way :D I'm glad I can work out again.. because back then I was too fatigue to even carry out a conversation.

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    This post should be pinned so everyone who asks about how awesome "_____ cleanse" is can read this and be forewarned.

I'm glad you're going about it the health way this time around!
  • elisheva
    elisheva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing. I tried master cleanse a long time ago and after a few days got violently ill. You're message is really important for people to hear and you look AWESOME!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Great post! !!!!

Glad you realized how harmful this was to your body & went out to find a healthy way! ★ high 5★
  • rpapesr
    rpapesr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I will make sure to warn others of the terrible effects of this diet/cleanse. If you need some support for the exercise and healthy calorie diet add me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants to hear the "success" stories of cleansing and disregard the actual stories of how they don't teach you anything about eating correctly, exercise, etc.

Thanks for your feedback.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I will say that it is not unusual to get ill while doing the MC because your body is trying to eradicate the same bacteria, toxins, and parasites that cause illnesses.
  • minibee12
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this story.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Thank you for writing this.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    great post OP :flowerforyou:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Great post. This link should be posted in every cleanse thread.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I will say that it is not unusual to get ill while doing the MC because your body is trying to eradicate the same bacteria, toxins, and parasites that cause illnesses.
    Wrong.
    It is not unusual to get ill, but not for the reasons you state. Name one toxin you are eradicating.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

I can't believe that's what you took away from this.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I did the MC for about two weeks in 2007. I might have been the only person in the universe who actually gained weight on the stupid thing. Yup. up 3 pounds. lol

Anyway, fads are stupid, and as the OP found out, can do you real harm.
  • SonyaTMC
    SonyaTMC Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the Master Cleanse. It is generally recommended to start with just a 2-3 day cleanse if you're doing it for the first time. I think the maximum recommended duration is 14 days. Also, I wonder if you might have had so much digestion trouble because you didn't follow a gradual ease-out after the cleanse.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the Master Cleanse. It is generally recommended to start with just a 2-3 day cleanse if you're doing it for the first time. I think the maximum recommended duration is 14 days. Also, I wonder if you might have had so much digestion trouble because you didn't follow a gradual ease-out after the cleanse.
    Stop it. Now. Stop. Please. Stop. :angry:
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good for you! The people that go to my in laws church did this - not as a congregation but a lot of the individuals. And you betcha! Together they lost a ton of weight! That was a few years back, but now if and when I see these people, they have all gained all of that weight back - and then some. What a waste of time and effort! I was tempted, but seriously, how could that possibly be the solution? Unfortunately there ARE NO SHORT CUTS! You did good, kid! :wink:
  • Christabelle79
    Christabelle79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Does TMC stand for "The Master Cleanse"? Pushers come out early tonight.

To the OP, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience but happy to hear that you learned from it. Best of luck to you on your health journey.
  • meangrl29
    meangrl29 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post. I just started looking into doing a cleanse and this helped me decide it is not for me. I already eat very little b/c i had weight loss surgery. i wanted to do a cleanse as a way to wean myself off of caffeine. never mind now.
    How are you supposed to build muscle without protein? am I missing something about these cleanses? how can you go a month without protein?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This really needs to be a sticky!

Now if only we could get at least one person to post something similar about raspberry ketones, HcG, Body by Vi, and every other fad diet out there...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sorry you went through that. It's nice of you to tell your experience; maybe you will deter someone from trying it.