Lost any or all respect for Lance Atrmstrong?

Options

Replies

• RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We all have lied and cheated at some point. And hurt people close to us doing it.

Am I disappointed he took this long to admit it and tried to bully others to keep it covered up? Yes. But, ultimately it does not matter. I wonder how many people on here are actually affected in any way by what Lance Armstrong (or any other athlete/celebrity) does or doesn't do.

A friend of mine is a very close personal friend of Lance and while I am tempted to ask him what he thinks of all of this, I will not because his answer will not change anything in my life. We spend too much time worrying about what others are doing instead of what we are doing.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    We all have lied and cheated at some point. And hurt people close to us doing it.

Am I disappointed he took this long to admit it and tried to bully others to keep it covered up? Yes. But, ultimately it does not matter. I wonder how many people on here are actually affected in any way by what Lance Armstrong (or any other athlete/celebrity) does or doesn't do.

A friend of mine is a very close personal friend of Lance and while I am tempted to ask him what he thinks of all of this, I will not because his answer will not change anything in my life. We spend too much time worrying about what others are doing instead of what we are doing.

It's certainly true that if someone's actions don't affect me, they are neither right nor wrong.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thou shall not judge lest thee be judged.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    To answer the title of this post, yes. Not all, but some.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Thou shall not judge lest thee be judged.

Is that a stripper pole in your avatar picture?
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

It's certainly true that if someone's actions don't affect me, they are neither right nor wrong.

Think about that. I hope you really just misspoke, and don't mean the exact words you just posted.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Why you all assed ?
  • AngryDiet
    Options

Think about that. I hope you really just misspoke, and don't mean the exact words you just posted.

Oh my.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I live in Austin, TX, where for many years Lance ruled as King. I knew his first wife before they got married, and was her friend/coworker all through the engagement. This was before he started racing again, and was just 1 year free of cancer. I thought he was the biggest *kitten* I had ever met. Treated anyone who he deemed wasn't worthy, as well.. not worthy of his time or attention. He was rude and egotistical, treated people poorly and thought way to highly of himself.

Then he started winning the Tour's. By then I wasn't friends with his wife, and watched it all unfold on the news and in the streets. For goodness sake we had parades for him. I told everyone I knew, and some I didn't know (If asked) what I thought of the man. I was considered a terrible person, and had a ton of people berate me for the HONEST things I said about him. I never for a minute thought he was innocent, just a gut feeling after having gotten to know his oh so charming personality.

All that being said? Breaks my heart for him, I can't imagine the humiliation and disappointment he must feel. I know he made his own bed, but I do feel for him.

ps. Still don't like him though ;)
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The jury is still out. Let's see the interview first. Everyone falls. Some of make huge falls that hurt a lot of people. I hope he does all he can to make it right to the people and organizations he has hurt. Of course respect has been lost. All he can do now is try to make the best of it moving forward and not hide behind the lawyers and lies any more. I wish him all the best in trying to move forward with his life.

Everyone was doping. The sport is really messed up. So, what he did was put him on a level playing field with the other dopers.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yes but not because he doped but the fact that he vehemently denied it so hard for so long. I would have respected him more if, a few years ago he came out about it. We would have forgiven him like we forgave Mike, Kobe, Ray Lewis etc etc etc and he would still be doing great things with Livestrong.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Oh my.

I guess you give Hitler a free pass then as long as he didn't kill anybody you knew.
  • AngryDiet
    Options

Oh my.

I guess you give Hitler a free pass then as long as he didn't kill anybody you knew.

Changed my mind. You are right!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    He competed in an era when players doped. And, they all lied about it. Not saying I condone the doping or the lying. But, I can't lose respect for his accomplishments knowing he was competing against what is likely a fair number of other dopers. I say you put an asterisk on his record, but let it stand.

He's just the one of the few that got caught. Still one of my heroes!

Likewise. He was playing on a level playing field because most of them were doping and he dominated.

Wish he would not have lied. I understand... but it was totally wrong.

I was not a fan of his before this and my opinion of him has not changed. I think he has done a lot of positive things and we need to remember that. He has already had his titles stripped from him. I think he's received a just punishment. Question: If he did sue people for libel because they said he doped up, and he won, does he have to give back any compensation he received?
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The people who have lost respect for him are the people who looked up to him. I didn't so I could care less about what he did/didn't achieve with/without enhancement.
    So let's talk NFL football now.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Let' talk football, GO FALCONS!!!!!!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    No. Everyone at the top is enhanced and admitting usage is taboo thanks to our wonderful laws and propaganda fueled culture
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options

Oh my.

Great comparison. There should be a "not" button on my keyboard, BTW.
  • AngryDiet
    Options

Oh my.

I disagree. The Hitler reference really drove home for me the error of my viewpoint.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options

Oh my.

I disagree. The Hitler reference really drove home for me the error of my viewpoint.

Yeah . . . there really isn't any logic to a comparison between a doper and Hitler. You'll have to trust me: you're being persuaded by ridiculous logic, and I highly recommend you don't try the comparison out yourself in edumacated company. Of course, you can do it if you want. Just make sure someone Youtubes the event: if it isn't a meme by now, it should be.