An Argument Against Fast Food

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Where did my quotes go???

do [quote*] at the beginning and then [/quote*] at the end, but without the *
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

To point out, the phrase "as so many people do" - doesn't mean everyone.

So you have a grasp on the English language! Congratulations. Want a medal? He was the one who criticized my generalization first, so I criticized his playfully in return. Obviously generalizations don't apply to every single member of the human race.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

It's called a discussion. Really, you are the one most upset by people discussing and putting out opposing points.

there have been two posters giving opposing view points and engaging in discussion. the rest has been trolling.
  • Ramberta
    Options

ETA: Not everyone using MFP is trying to lose weight. That's why it is My FITNESS Pal.

I don't blame fast food for my being overweight. That's an infantile notion. The movie Supersize Me just made me want to eat french fries. But the knee-jerk reaction to DEFEND fast food in the wake of articles explaining why it has little to no nutritional benefit begs the question, why are we so desperate to keep it? Are we really that obsessed with food that we can't let go of the Crunchwrap Supremes and the Big Macs without throwing a temper tantrum at the people criticizing them?
    [/quote]

It's called a discussion. Really, you are the one most upset by people discussing and putting out opposing points.
    [/quote]

Hahahahaha. These forums are a joke for actual discussions, because of you and others like you who sit back and pick out the parts you don't like in people's posts rather than contribute anything useful or open-minded. They're more like a combination of a digital ****-waggling contest and high school locker room gossip.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

No. We are fat because we ate at a caloric surplus. The food (regardless of type) didn't just jump in our mouths and crawl down our throats.

We overate, etc. A lot of people also have a tendency to do the stress/bored/emotional eating. Some people have issues recognizing portion control, etc. And some people just didn't educate themselves to realize that they can't eat 3000 calories and be 150 lbs with no exercise. The point is - it's "OUR" fault..not the food industry, the food itself, or the people in our lives. There is a time we should start taking accountability for our own actions.

ETA: Not everyone using MFP is trying to lose weight. That's why it is My FITNESS Pal.

I don't blame fast food for my being overweight. That's an infantile notion. The movie Supersize Me just made me want to eat french fries. But the knee-jerk reaction to DEFEND fast food in the wake of articles explaining why it has little to no nutritional benefit begs the question, why are we so desperate to keep it? Are we really that obsessed with food that we can't let go of the Crunchwrap Supremes and the Big Macs without throwing a temper tantrum at the people criticizing them?

No one is throwing a temper tantrum and this is certainly not a knee jerk reaction. If you want to cut out all fast food then please be my guest. Standing on a soap box claiming that any fast food consumption is bad for you seems a bit much though. Go back and read the OP again, please.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

do [quote*] at the beginning and then [/quote*] at the end, but without the *

Thanks Joylia. I thought I did that but I added a "/" in the first one :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

So you have a grasp on the English language! Congratulations. Want a medal? He was the one who criticized my generalization first, so I criticized his playfully in return. Obviously generalizations don't apply to every single member of the human race.

I think, maybe, you need to take a break and calm down. Really. Why are you attacking me? This is a discussion. If you can't handle opposition, then the forums aren't for you.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    "Please don't use "as so many people do" like that, then. Not everyone is a yo-yo dieter or a binge eater. And when you say a small amount of cheat meals, you mean like, once a week? Twice a month? Somewhere in there, right? Because again, there is nothing in OP's post (THIS post) that says fast food should never be eaten ever even on special occasions. You're all seeing reasons to argue that aren't actually there."
    [/quote]

Just an FYI, some people are continuing a conversation with CoachReddy from other posts that you do not seem to be aware of. I think this is where you may be confused.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I garnered that already, but what bugs me is that just because he's apparently posted other more controversial posts previously, this post is being shat on without even being fully read by these trolls.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Hahahahaha. These forums are a joke for actual discussions, because of you and others like you who sit back and pick out the parts you don't like in people's posts rather than contribute anything useful or open-minded. They're more like a combination of a digital ****-waggling contest and high school locker room gossip.
    [/quote]

If they are a joke..then why are you here? I really think you need to take a breather. Obviously, you are taking this waaayyyy too personally.
  • Ramberta
    Options

I think, maybe, you need to take a break and calm down. Really. Why are you attacking me? This is a discussion. If you can't handle opposition, then the forums aren't for you.

Hahaha. I'm not attacking you, dear, I'm calling you out on trolling, which is exactly what you are doing. If you can't 'handle' me doing that then you're the one who needs a break! ;D
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

"Please don't use "as so many people do" like that, then. Not everyone is a yo-yo dieter or a binge eater. And when you say a small amount of cheat meals, you mean like, once a week? Twice a month? Somewhere in there, right? Because again, there is nothing in OP's post (THIS post) that says fast food should never be eaten ever even on special occasions. You're all seeing reasons to argue that aren't actually there."
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Just an FYI, some people are continuing a conversation with CoachReddy from other posts that you do not seem to be aware of. I think this is where you may be confused.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I garnered that already, but what bugs me is that just because he's apparently posted other more controversial posts previously, this post is being shat on without even being fully read by these trolls.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I read it before ****** on it. You may want to do the same before defending it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Hahaha. I'm not attacking you, dear, I'm calling you out on trolling, which is exactly what you are doing. If you can't 'handle' me doing that then you're the one who needs a break! ;D

WHOA WHOA WHOA. How am I trolling? Do you even know what a troll is? I'm having a discussion. Please stop with the accusations .
  • Ramberta
    Options

No. We are fat because we ate at a caloric surplus. The food (regardless of type) didn't just jump in our mouths and crawl down our throats.

We overate, etc. A lot of people also have a tendency to do the stress/bored/emotional eating. Some people have issues recognizing portion control, etc. And some people just didn't educate themselves to realize that they can't eat 3000 calories and be 150 lbs with no exercise. The point is - it's "OUR" fault..not the food industry, the food itself, or the people in our lives. There is a time we should start taking accountability for our own actions.

No one is throwing a temper tantrum and this is certainly not a knee jerk reaction. If you want to cut out all fast food then please be my guest. Standing on a soap box claiming that any fast food consumption is bad for you seems a bit much though. Go back and read the OP again, please.

Okay, let me put it to you this way. If you had to choose where to sleep for the night, would you rather sleep on a Tempur-Pedic mattress, or a sleeping bag? Technically, you get just as rested either way. Technically, a few nights a week on a sleeping bag will have little to no negative affects on you or your lifestyle, assuming you don't have pre-existing conditions such as arthritis. But given the choice, wouldn't you choose the mattress? Perhaps a pillow-top rather than the top of the line model, but still-- when it comes to what you put in your body on a daily basis (and this is excluding occasional cheat meals), why would you purposefully choose something processed, low-nutrient and high-fat, that will only make you feel crappy a few hours later?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

WHOA WHOA WHOA. How am I trolling? Do you even know what a troll is? I'm having a discussion. Please stop with the accusations .

you're actually not having a discussion about the topic... you're having a discussion about the english language... and, well, trolling. :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

you're actually not having a discussion about the topic... you're having a discussion about the english language... and, well, trolling. :)

Wrong. I pointed out that Suns was not saying everyone in regards to his argument. She was upset because she inferred that he was saying "everyone" and I pointed out that, that was not the case.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Okay, let me put it to you this way. If you had to choose where to sleep for the night, would you rather sleep on a Tempur-Pedic mattress, or a sleeping bag? Technically, you get just as rested either way. Technically, a few nights a week on a sleeping bag will have little to no negative affects on you or your lifestyle, assuming you don't have pre-existing conditions such as arthritis. But given the choice, wouldn't you choose the mattress? Perhaps a pillow-top rather than the top of the line model, but still-- when it comes to what you put in your body on a daily basis (and this is excluding occasional cheat meals), why would you purposefully choose something processed, low-nutrient and high-fat, that will only make you feel crappy a few hours later?

End Thread. I'm out of here. Believe what you want to believe. But if you make weight loss harder than it has to be then you only have yourself to blame for your failure.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Just to get it out of the way, here is the definition of Trolling:

1. Trolling 2303 up, 1132 down
    The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.

Now let's end it and get back to the original topic. Sheesh.
  • Ramberta
    Options

End Thread. I'm out of here. Believe what you want to believe. But if you make weight loss harder than it has to be then you only have yourself to blame for your failure.

Lol wow, nice dodge! Thanks for the positive reinforcement, buddy! I just love this MFP community. Guess I should treat everyone to burgers and fries, since that's the keys to success here!
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Before you flame without reading the post, please keep in mind that while I have not listed the sources, Brendan Brazier, top triathlete and nutritional specialist lists ALL his sources in his book (Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life). It would take pages to list them all here.

I'm not saying any diet is better than another, just that I found this quite interesting to read, and thought others might too.
    A calorie is defined as a measure of food energy. It might seem logical, then, to assume that the more calories consumed, the more energy our body is supplied with. Of course, we know this is not the case, otherwise people with the highest energy would be those who eat at fast food restaurants. By simply consuming more calories, we are not guaranteed more energy. Many conventional nutrition books would have us believe that if we expend a certain amount of energy, it can be quantified and replaced. They suggest that by simply adhering to calorie counts, with no consideration of other factors, we can accurately gauge the amount of food we need to consume to maintain low body weight and high energy. But it doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately, most foods in the average North American's diet require almost as much energy to assimilate as they contain, because while they are high in calories, they are low in nutrients. The nutritional value of food stated on the food packaging label refers to what is in the food - not what the body actually gets from it. By consuming more easily assimilated foods, you can conserve a large amount of energy, therefore reducing stress in the body, and helping with recovery. There are two main reasons for this. First, foods in their natural, nutrient-dense state can be digested and assimilated with less energy expenditure than processed, refined foods. Second, when more nutrient-rich foods are present in the diet, the body does not have to eat as much as if it were fed less nutrient-rich foods. Today, I consume 30 percent fewer calories than I did just two years ago, yet I have more energy - by means of conservation, rather than consumption.

Essentially the point is this: because fast food is not nutritionally dense, your body has to work harder to get fewer nutrients, which is a WASTE of energy. Energy that could otherwise be used on anything from recovery - which would allow you to train harder and more often - to mental energy, to just feeling better in your day to day life. The more steam lined your system, and the less it has to work to digest the food you introduce, the better YOU will operate. The more weight you'll lose. The better you will feel.

But hey, I'm not here to say you HAVE to do it. I'm not even saying you should! If you'd rather eat fast food because you really enjoy it, then I would never advocate giving it up! But if your goals are to perform better and to feel better, not just lose weight, it may be worth considering.

Have at it. And let's try and keep it civil, K? :)
    Thanks for sharing !!!! I hate fast food even more now !!! yuck
  • CoachReddy
    Options

this post wasn't primarily about weight loss for the record. it's about your body working at an optimal level. processed foods don't allow you to do that, though you CAN still lose weight while eating them.